Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104366 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38415 on: December 06, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »

Currently setting up cavern access. Multiple contingencies in case an FB or such comes up; first a loaded weapon trap, then a pressure-plate cave-in, and then a minecart railgun.

Wish you lot of fun. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trapavoid)

I am fully aware of that. The cave-in is linked to a support, which IIRC is a building that any FB will suicidally destroy, and the minecart railgun can be triggered by pulling a lever as well as the trapdoor. If the worst comes to the worst, there are several long corridors that an FB would have to traverse, and I have a squad of five marksdwarves. I'm planning on adding a bridge seal as well.

I am prepared.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheSoundOfTrees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38416 on: December 06, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

First post from a newbie.

My last fort was very successful and boring. So I decided to end it with an experiment, digging -for the first time - to the caverns, and using two of my fort's assets.
Plan was :
1 - dig to the cavern
2 - put a locked door at cavern's entrance
3 - put asset #1  right behind the door
4 - build a fortification just behind asset #1
5 - put asset #2 right behind the fortifications
6 - wait.

Asset #1 was a pile of about 25 torn apart werelizard dwarves' corpses from the last time I decided my fortress needed some fun and let the curse continue for 6 full moons.
Asset #2 was Datan Geniusseals, King consort and dwarf necromancer.
Of course, if I had not decided to end this fort, I would have taken the time to close the holes my stairs had made in the cavern's wall 3 levels above. It seems undead werelizards are great climbers.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38417 on: December 06, 2014, 03:23:06 pm »

My magma railgun fails  >:(

well the carts go through the magma ditch and fill themselves with magma, but the magma doesn't fly when the minecart hits the other cart. It stays in the cart :P

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38418 on: December 06, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »

Currently setting up cavern access. Multiple contingencies in case an FB or such comes up; first a loaded weapon trap, then a pressure-plate cave-in, and then a minecart railgun.

Wish you lot of fun. (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trapavoid)

I am fully aware of that. The cave-in is linked to a support, which IIRC is a building that any FB will suicidally destroy, and the minecart railgun can be triggered by pulling a lever as well as the trapdoor. If the worst comes to the worst, there are several long corridors that an FB would have to traverse, and I have a squad of five marksdwarves. I'm planning on adding a bridge seal as well.

I am prepared.

Don't understand me wrong, but i think FB are not destroing supports anymore. Trolls too. I have hope for your railgun, what you loaded into carts? Mine loaded with just blocks didn't not penetrate my FB skin. But i did it first time, most propobly They have too little speed.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38419 on: December 06, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »

I am currently trying to build a human town with 16 houses just inside the walls holding 8 dwarves each (the women and children in each house work on the small farms and pastures behind their house while the men work in the workshops in the center of the town.) more towards the middle are the workshop rooms and the warehouses. and in the center is the keep with all of the noble rooms, the trade depot, and the tavern (only the men are allowed in the tavern). This is what I want to build. I currently only have 6 houses built and the two guard towers by the entrance.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:16:15 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38420 on: December 06, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

Trying to rig it so the clothier and leather worker make and improve clothing and the bone carver decorates it. Since I can't make a finished goods stockpile that takes AND gives to the workshops I have no idea how to keep them from taking stuff from anywhere. Any ideas?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #38421 on: December 06, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »

I'm not very sure, but can't you set it to take from a workshop, give to another stockpile, then have that stockpile give to the other workshop?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38422 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »

I'm not very sure, but can't you set it to take from a workshop, give to another stockpile, then have that stockpile give to the other workshop?
You are a scholar and a gentleman, thank you.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38423 on: December 06, 2014, 06:16:59 pm »

Not too much yet. Just trying to start my first 40.19 fort after an extended DF absence

http://i.imgur.com/M46MaX2.png

Looks like i'm in for a bit of fun right off the bat.

On a related note: any new nice-looking Ascii Tilesets out for 1920x1080 or is it still all herbdogg/bisasam?

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38424 on: December 06, 2014, 06:20:52 pm »

The hot nature of the savage wilderness Jadeirons is dug into means that though it does rain, the murky pools soon dry up afterwards.

It also means that because the stupid tree children didn't bring any seeds, my textile industry was herky-jerkying along with only pigtails (which I despise). However, idle use of "prospect" did turn up a single rope reed plant that had generated next to a now-dry muddy pit. I marked it for harvest and micromanaged the heck out of it. I'm pretty happy, I never thought I'd be able to parlay just one wild-gathered rope reed into high quality plant fiber robes, shoes, mittens, and (unfortunately) hoods.

I lucked into an immigrant who was nearly legendary in weaving, and I had a fey mood turn my merely adept clothier into a haberdasher of legend in one shot. The only thing I don't have a dye industry. Last time I set one of those up it slowed everything down horribly and was generally a pain in the butt. Might try to set it up again.

Unluckily, it was an exceptionally made pig tail fiber hood that a werebull ripped off one of my poor dwarves and beat a few others to death with. The cursed beast wasn't spotted until he was literally a step or two away from my fortress entrance, no way to raise the gates. So I sicc'd my squads on him. They weren't wearing anything but leather armor, but I thought that iron axes and bronze weapons and 25-to-1 odds should work in my favor, right?

Wrong. Even my legendary +5 melee dwarves barely got a few nicks in. Somehow, this werebull dodged every strike and killed thirteen of my dwarves with wrestling moves and clothing bludgeoning! I lost half my marksdwarf squad (apparently they ran out of copper bolts practicing with them) and a couple from both my axe squad and my mixed-melee weapon squad. My founding carpenter got his head smashed in with a head covering! My founding warrior had her left leg ripped off by the beast!

The worst part is, it was a goblin. So when he changed back into goblinoid form, the cursed creature was marked as friendly! I even tried to mark him for death, but my military refused to attack. So I watched this dammed creature skitter off my map after murdering thirteen of my blessed dwarves, a founding member among them. I can't remember the last time I've despised goblins this much.

I've ordered steel production to full speed. Only greaves remain to be produced. I've got green glass trap components waiting in the piles for my new mechanic to start producing masterwork mechanisms, though she's only "great" at it, so it'll be a while yet. I've waited out the last two goblin ambushes. The next time those greasy, foul-smelling, stunted ambassadors of evil show up, I'm going to murder every single one of them. The first dwarf to kill a goblin is going to get a masterwork steel weapon studded with aluminum by my legendary metalcrafter.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:40:43 pm by Scorch »
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #38425 on: December 06, 2014, 06:25:04 pm »

-snip-
Your sig goes well with this story.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38426 on: December 06, 2014, 07:03:11 pm »

didn't this thread have 2000+ pages just a few hours ago?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #38427 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »

Weekend dude, it's science day here. Welcome to the forums!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38428 on: December 06, 2014, 07:18:53 pm »

So, it seems that civilian alerts mess up somehow the soldiers targeting. I have had several instances where soldiers simply stand idly taking a beating when the foes happen to be outside the civilian alert burrow. Switching the alert off makes soldiers instantly reduce the baddies into clouds of flying limbs and teeth.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38429 on: December 06, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »

Weekend dude, it's science day here. Welcome to the forums!
I distinctly remember 2000+ posts on this thread though. Does anybody else?
Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 3842