Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2521 2522 [2523] 2524 2525 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099958 times)

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37830 on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:40 am »

It stumbles about in horrified terror, finding itself in a world of sun, sky and dwarf.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #37831 on: November 05, 2014, 12:15:56 pm »

The Tale of Smoulderpoint:

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37832 on: November 05, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »

Boy did I just luck out... Was playing Succubi in Masterwork. I got a caravan from my home civ in the fall. I know that fall is when the dwarves like to come around and mess with you, so I raised my drawbridge as soon as the merchants were inside... Or so I thought.

I missed one Wagon, and didn't notice until it had pushed itself against my Drawbridge in such a way that I couldn't lower it again. To let the wagon in, I had to dig around my raised bridge, making my dungeon vulnerable. My miners worked fast, the wagon moved through the alternate route, and I quickly cued up the construction of a wall to seal the breach. Literally a tick or two after I unpaused from ordering the wall to keep the dwarves out, the dwarves arrive.

I am in deep poop. I have no military yet. If the dwarves choose to go through the now unsealable and untrapped wagon entrance, my only defense would be my unarmored lumberjacks and miners. To my dismay, they choose that route over the trap corridor baited with chained troll.

This is where my good fortune kicks in. The caravan guard force, vastly outnumbered, steps forward and freaking annihilates the entire enemy force. My civilians, doing their stupid civilian gather/hauling thing, all decide to rush the battlefield, but the caravan guard is so effective, that all the dwarves are dead before they have the chance to introduce my ladies to the dwarven concept of FUN. Afterward, when un-forbidding the dwarven gear, I learned the outcome was never even in doubt. None of the invaders had any metal gear save for their weapons and accessories, and the Succubi guards were all decked out in the various forms of Bronze that they have access to.

...At this point, the panic subsides, and I remember that I had set up a second drawbridge specifically to cut the Depot off from the rest of the fortress. I had the foresight to plan for more or less the exact situation I faced, but not the hindsight to remember the plan, but for once the game decided to bail me out of my stupidity instead of punish it.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37833 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:49 pm »

New fort, with Aquifer but a deep gorge through which a river flows, and a waterfall.

Realised the Aquifer was in the soil layers, so built wooden scaffolding down into the gorge, and (after a few exploratory tunnels to determine Aquifer penetration) dug my entrance into the gorge walls.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37834 on: November 05, 2014, 05:04:16 pm »

Rivertrapped also had a nice bandit visit, a group that consisted of elves and humans. Only two out of ten had a weapon, rest was just a cattle pushed against the butcherer. That darn spearman stabbed three of my guys into stomach and now there's vomit all over my town.

A werearmadillo followed traders from the capital, and tried to climb my walls with zero result before trying to dive into channels that lead to my wells. It transformed into human, and now I have a friendly peasant trapped between my walls and river. How the hell I could kill her? Maybe I could drop something on her head?

http://i.imgur.com/JrR7s55.png

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37835 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »

Spring arrives and with spring comes a small harvest from the ground-level plants, and a tiny farm is built to sow finger millet, with intent to make beer and flour from it once a caravan comes that has some stone to build a quern from. Trying to decide how to  probe this wretched place without having to make a bajillion plugs just to find an ore vein or nonquifer stone cluster.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37836 on: November 05, 2014, 05:51:35 pm »

Spring arrives and with spring comes a small harvest from the ground-level plants, and a tiny farm is built to sow finger millet, with intent to make beer and flour from it once a caravan comes that has some stone to build a quern from. Trying to decide how to  probe this wretched place without having to make a bajillion plugs just to find an ore vein or nonquifer stone cluster.

I heard a rumour somewhere that different types of trees will grow over different rock outcroppings. Perhaps you could go on a tree search for a nonquifer outcropping?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37837 on: November 05, 2014, 05:58:25 pm »

I heard a rumour somewhere that different types of trees will grow over different rock outcroppings. Perhaps you could go on a tree search for a nonquifer outcropping?

Sadly the entire area's fairly uniform (a mix of peat, loam variants save loamy clay, and either black, yellow, or loamy sand,) with bayberry, apple, walnut, peach, pecan, almond, and gingko trees being all over the area. THe upside is I have two dry layers to work with in the peat/loam and black sand, and thanks to the trees and sheep my dorfs won't starve or be forced into drinking water.

EDIT: Amazingly enough, I have easily some of the least sociable dwarves ever. It took the entirety of fall and winter plus two weeks into spring for the one sociable dwarf, Kat (no he doesn't like cats,) to throw a party in the long since completed eating hall, which is currently in the middle of receiving glass windows. To occupy some of the dwarves, a bridge across the local stream is under construction, while the "militia" trains. I've also recalled a horrifying thought.

Migrants will be coming soon.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37838 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:26 pm »

I keep having random buildings deconstruct. What's going on?

EDIT: It was a wild troll. Fantastic. Maybe he's buddies with the wereskink.

EDIT 2: Probably the fastest I've ever abandoned the fort. A wereskink attacks in the second month, and a troll prevents proper quarantine via judicious building destruction. Three wereskinks later, population is down to 6 and there are still no bedrooms. I also flooded an entire cavern layer with magma.

EDIT 3: Upon unretiring, I had all of eight dwarves left in the fort. Eight. Of 128.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:54:30 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37839 on: November 06, 2014, 12:48:07 am »

I just discovered that magma crabs can and will come into your amazingly cool volcano base via a magma smelter that doesn't properly cover the magma channel.  I've never had anything come in via water or magma pipe so it was quite a shock when 5 of the buggers came running into the heart of my metalworks and made a bloody mess of my blacksmith.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37840 on: November 06, 2014, 01:58:58 am »

"I also flooded an entire cavern layer with magma" he tosses in casually, because that's not really worth focusing on.

More gobs attacked, and I added a new member of the McLegendary clan. Nish McLegendary, long lost sister of Urist, Cog, and Dastot, her three brothers who arrived here after escaping the dwarven day care facility where they were all raised into megasupersoldiers (seriously weird ass glitch, had one migrant from 4 out of 8 waves with maxed skills and stupidly high stats) so while I may have lost the weirdness I had with Nish Shamelorbam wielding herself as a crossbow and training at a weapon rack made from her bones due to save corruption, the fort lives on, and the pile of goblins outside is up to 60+!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37841 on: November 06, 2014, 04:00:00 am »

I just discovered that magma crabs can and will come into your amazingly cool volcano base via a magma smelter that doesn't properly cover the magma channel.  I've never had anything come in via water or magma pipe so it was quite a shock when 5 of the buggers came running into the heart of my metalworks and made a bloody mess of my blacksmith.

Crispy. They made a crispy, and shortly nonexistent mess of him, unless they've gone back to pelting people with basalt. Cause otherwise I've witnessed them spewing little globs of magma now.

EDIT: Migrants come, among them the war supporting Vyssea, Rhino, who has said "We must be ready to sacrifice when the time comes" (and values sacrifice,) and the wrestlers Rat and Zone. These dwarves have the... "Honor," of forming The Arches of Oblivion.

A third unit, The Still Flags is raised with a speardwarf named Mosley, the mother of an elf-like son by the name of Timd (what sort of dwarf values nature?) And wife to a dwarf named Tuner who rather ironically finds skill at arms distasteful, and yet is a speardwarf himself; perhaps it's how they met? And his ability to look past the failings he perceives in others may have had something to do with it. Regardless, the two should work well together as warriors and spears will be purchased as soon as possible, and if luck is with them, Stillflag may end up an unofficial family name. They are also joined by the adventurous Rio, a Jeweler.

10 new arrivals, 7 of them military material. A rather merciful year two migrant wave.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37842 on: November 06, 2014, 05:30:05 am »

This is one of those rare occasions where I have a fairly successful fort. That's probably in part due to the fact that no goblins have shown up in the 8 years my fort has been running and I'm not entirely sure why.

The site I embarked on has almost no useful metal except for some small veins of galena around the magma sea. To remedy this I started trading for cassiterite, tetrahedrite and bismuthinite. This allowed be to create a respectable amount of bismuth bronze every year. Most of that has been converted into bolts for a small squad of marksdwarves.

You would think that with no goblin raids I wouldn't need so many bolts. Unfortunately shortly into my second year all kinds of forgotten beasties started showing up. I decided that I would like to have access to the caverns at some point so I devised a system that would trap the FBs in a room and have my marksdwarves take them out behind some fortifications. The hard part is getting them into the room as some of them are rather stubborn so I have to spend a good deal of time watching them so they don't sneak in, kill the bait then run off before I have a chance to raise the bridge behind them.

So far I've taken down six FBs this way. The practice has already gotten me one elite marksdwarf.

I've only lost three dwarves so far to various accidents, mostly through drowning. I wanted to get access to some blue stuff but it was all surrounded by magma so I tried pumping water down there to clear some of the magma out around the edges. Of course I don't use pumps very often so my mechanic/pump operator ended up being pushed into the underground lake from the backwash.

I went several seasons without paying attention to what my fisherdwarf was doing so after a while I started noticing refuse piling up all over the fort. Come to find out my refuse stockpile was saturated with turtle shells. So I took a random dwarf and gave him the bone carving labor and set him to decorating all of my crafts with shell. He's now a legendary bone carver and I have several hundred thousand dwarfbucks worth of stoneware crafts because of it.

Since hardly any of my forts actually last this long I'm starting to run into problems I rarely encounter. Like being overrun with yaks and reindeer. I finally had to butcher most of them just to keep the population under control. My food stockpiles overfloweth, especially considering all of the FB meat.

There was also the problem with clothes rotting off everybody but I had enough foresight to put resources in place to be able to replace their clothing. After the first year I started requesting various kinds of leather from the liaison. My legendary bone carver is also a legendary leather worker btw.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37843 on: November 06, 2014, 05:54:17 am »

Thanks to poor choice for the mood randomizer thingamajig, Zone is now a dead dwarf walking: She is a mason who wants stone (thankfully I have plenty of coal from embark, as I wasn't expecting an aquifer laden stone layer,) bones, and metal (these two are much less forgiving to get: Bone-producing wildlife is nonexistant around here because of all these fucking raven  flocks whom I'm tempted to no let fly anymore so my militia can catch and kill them so other animals can come in; the metal is barred due to the humans, if they come, being two months away again because of the water-laden stone.)

Shame, since she would have been extremely handy in training a squad of dedicated wrestlers/shield-using chest crunchers.

EDIT: Nevermind, she went melancholic as I left the game running. She went insane on exactly the 1st of Hematite, the month help might have come. Oh well, not like her noncombat skills were really any use here since there's no stone, and I have several caskets in place for the inevitable military casualties.

And those ravens have given me enough goddamn trouble with materials. I have no animals to hunt for bones and leather (and meat but that's not the main goal of killing local animal life, armoring my soldiers is,) to armor my soldiers and make trade goods so they're getting thier wings clipped.

A dawn of a nonfeathery era of dead mammals approaches!

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37844 on: November 06, 2014, 07:28:06 am »

[Historylesson]

I have studied my civilizations history a bit and boy it keeps getting fascinating every day. It seems the empire Imprisoned Kingdoms is in constant war with goblins (Big Poison has conquered literally countless settlements since 251), as every migrant I receive have at least competent level in military skills. Hunters and rangers come with insane amount of kills, wildlife and humanoids alike (best I saw was 89, including goblins, trolls, elves, fauna etc). The forest region where Rivertrapped is located seems to be full of beasts like minotaurs and alike ("wandering dwarves" as well), according to engravings and figurines that depict such events.

The empire is very multicultural, as there are dwarves and elves ruling among men. There has been a brutal war against elves as well, according to kills people have (or they were just elf bandits). I wonder if some elves were captured and then joined the ranks of ruling classes, or if humans lost, as there are many elves... a human emperor called Perom ruled in 81, and after him came elves - elf emperor Ag Ujaasto ruled in 161, died or handed his position over to his daughter in 251 and empress Kupe Coparcusal the elf has been ruling ever since. The outpost liaison Innu Famousan is a grandson of the empress. It was quite funny to read "news" when he came to my village and told how "few months ago my paternal grandmother Kupe Moraltrue became emperor of Imprisoned Kingdoms, replacing her father Ag Urndeserts".

[/historylesson]

Nothing new aside that going on, I gave offerings to traders and hope something would happen. I'll start building a castle if my metropolis gets recognized in any way by the empress, but I always fear ini-changes might make it impossible. In theory when I copied dwarf-stuff to human part it should follow same logic.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:30:39 am by Kuikka »
Pages: 1 ... 2521 2522 [2523] 2524 2525 ... 3842