Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099961 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37860 on: November 07, 2014, 08:39:07 pm »

I decided to start a new fort, this time in a terrifying ocean biome. Already, about a week in, my Macedwarf has 4 kills to her name, and a badass eye scar as proof. I foresee large amounts of Fun in my future, especially once the ocean unfreezes.

Also, even zombie rabbits are pretty badass. Thank god for maces and their part-crushing, otherwise I'd be overwhelmed by zombies...

Edit: Apparently this land is the land of the rabbits. My Macedwarf has killed about a dozen of them, and it seems as though that's all that spawns; undead rabbits.
Edit 2: Neeevermind. Harpy corpse descended upon the land and murdered everyone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:24:50 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37861 on: November 07, 2014, 08:57:58 pm »

FPS dropped to around 15 when the fortress was busy. Currently I have 100 dwarves, I wonder if I should raise the number and get a king, or start a new fortress on a smaller map.

I didn't know goblins have good climbers until I saw they climbed on top of my walls(but they didn't seem to be able to get down so they got trapped there) during the siege and escaped a pit which walls I forgot to smooth.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:05:26 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37862 on: November 07, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »

So.... I lost all my starting miners in the first dwarven year in ice mining incidents (It was learning curve material). But don't worry, I got more as migrants! We even were able to buy more picks from merchants. Great! We were doing really really well, until someone found a dead body, and I have to admit I made things worse by making coffins. Next thing I know, there is a Weregiraffe incident (Really? Seriously? Were-GIRAFFE? Okay. Mind your head, I doubt the dwarfs made very high roofs for you there...) and dwarfs continue, for the next dwarven month, to turn up drowned where the ice mine was.

Imagine you're a human trader. You arrive with cartloads of things, look around, and one dwarf wanders up out of a rather smelly hole (there is miasma smoking upward from the fort entrance to several levels above the ground) and offers to trade you some of the shields left lying in the sun on the trade depot floor for a few raspberries and other fruit, then wanders downstairs, never to return. There are penned sheep and yaks around you, but hey, it's nice and peaceful... hmmm.

It's the end of summer, there's two dwarfs left. One is the chief medical dwarf, walled in to the hospital, with a bad case of were-giraffe. He turned at the end of the month and killed all his patients, but not before they walled him in! The other has claimed for himself the name of Expedition Leader (who would argue? The weregiraffe banging his head in what used to be a hospital?) and he goes and drowns himself in the same place as everyone else.

And that's when migrants arrive. They find blood everywhere, a miasma pit full of water and dead dwarfs, some bemused humans at the trade depot watching some yaks and sheep they insist aren't theirs... And there's a dwarf who insists he's the Chief Medical Dwarf behind a hastily constructed clay wall covered in blood. Yep. We're leaving that wall where it is thanks.

I'm hoping they won't drown themselves.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37863 on: November 08, 2014, 09:25:02 am »

Possessed Dwarf just claimed a magma forge. Adamantine breastplate! ADAMANTINE BREASTPLATE! MAKE IT SO!

Or a helm, anything but an adamantine goblet.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37864 on: November 08, 2014, 09:38:44 am »

Possessed Dwarf just claimed a magma forge. Adamantine breastplate! ADAMANTINE BREASTPLATE! MAKE IT SO!

Mock not the power of the mug.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37865 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:32 pm »

It's official: the fists of dwarven children are better than steel.

(Kid has the custom job of "Dwarven Childcare" for being one of the only survivors of a werebuffalo attack a few years prior)
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37866 on: November 08, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

Breached the first cavern on lvl 11 and set about clearing the trees around what will be my central staircase, thereby cutting off access to said staircase as the dwarves walked over a tree to get to it.

My fps promptly fell down a staircase. I figure this is the pathfinding mechanic going a bit crazy trying to find a way back because a bridge between stranded dwarves and the rest of the fort sorted it out, but i've had dwarves frequently wall themselves out and gotten stuck before and it never effected fps before.

Any ideas? :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37867 on: November 08, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »

Mock not the power of the mug.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was a throne. Worth 1,063,200, it's a nice piece for a throne room if I ever decide to build one.
That's if I didn't already have one that incorporated human bones in it. Maybe the Monarch and consort can sit together now whilst judging the diplomats who are too scared to visit my Fortress of raining Dwarf blood. Eternal siege isn't quite as fun as it sounds. Do mugs actually do anything still? The only use for them I can see is to take them up as an adventurer and become the dreaded mug merchant murderer.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37868 on: November 08, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »

An adamantine throne with a picture of itself on it, menacing with spikes of sentient creature bone?

A worthy use of the blue metal, to be sure.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37869 on: November 08, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »

Yuck. I'm on the verge of giving up on .40.15 for good.
1. abducted dwarfs cause massive debilitating unhappiness in their relatives. This is especially the case for world-gen abductions. Hooray, 20%+ of migrants can be ticking timebombs that inevitably go insane over the next ten years (of which 9 years will be still somewhat sane but constantly prone to fits of depression, obliviousness and tantrums).
2. Tantrums are massively bugged. Tantrumming dwarfs on top of furniture can get stuck there, attacking everything that comes near for days after the tantrum has ended
3. Nearby dwarfs coming to the help of those attacked by the tantrummer will lose loyalty and get hunted down by military or fellow citizens. I.e. the _average_ tantrum will now cause two to three deaths. The creeping crazies from above will usually fall victim to their own tantrums at some time, but they'll usually take about five other dwarfs along with them.
4. Thieving birds will now constantly flee from anything they see but will keep trying. This disrupts surface activities in a ridiculous fashion and causes absurd unhappiness (a dozen and more "vengeful" thoughts just from seeing a single kea).
5. Military is still super-bugged. After hacking away keas' flight to make them reachable, the military dispatched still failed to fight or froze in space never taking a job again.

Yup, time to go back to 40. <14. Military might still be bugged there, but at least everyone won't go stir-crazy over decades-past worldgen events or the sight of a solitary buzzard.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37870 on: November 08, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »

Hmmm... I generated a world where the embark was about 20 z above the magma, around 10 to 15 z northeast from a volcano... which was empty, is open to the mostly revealed cavern layer.... and extends upwards to a ridiculous height.

Just checked, 241 is the tippy top top at the sw corner with just the sw-most part of the rim present, and 134 is the bottom of the volcano-shaped portion of the tube, and 129 is the absolute lowest point.

So naturally I cleared a bit of the top and reshaped it some, slapped a couple of river sources there, and made a 110 z waterfall, so I could dig out a big room around the tube and carve fortifications for the dorfs to enjoy it.

Thinking about trying to run side flows around to get the entire tube as a waterfall, though the change from the sw rim being present to the entire rim including the ne portion being present is from 241 to 188... no iron incidentally, but it's got gold, copper, sphalerite, tetrahedrite, galena, bismuthinite, cassiterite, and aluminum. Plus several gob neighbors nearby and hopefully I'll be able to get the elves to send a diplomat so I can agree to a tree quota and maybe get them to go to war too! :D

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37871 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »

Rivertrapped (old pic http://i.imgur.com/T00LeLB.jpg now I have stone block walls and towers) the human settlement is facing its largest gobling siege so far. 55 goblins and some trolls. I'm surrounded by circling enemies, and it's a tedious fight between ranged units, as enemy archers try to climb my walls and shoot through forticifaction, occasionally succeeding and also jumping to courtyard. I have to keep my units (3 infantry and 3 ranged squads) moving along the wall and infantry is hunting lone goblins trying to wreak havoc amongst civilians. So far I have lost two idiots who wanted to haul rocks instead of running to safety, one guardsman who didnt understand concept of station-here-HERE-HERE-NOT-THERE and one elite crossbowman died in tower thanks to *lucky* goblin headshot. My wooden bolts aint doing too much damage against iron armors, lots of injured goblins though.

Moral in the city is low. My depressed guard doesn't have any will to arrest or even beat criminals - and even if I kick her out of guards, she's still trying to fulfill her orders and no one else gets the job. My armless axe lord is trying to report crimes but is too injured to do that. These two spam my log without a pause.

Ah the sight when goblin archer climbs over the wall only to be greeted with iron pikes and halberds.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:47:22 pm by Kuikka »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37872 on: November 08, 2014, 07:45:10 pm »

Just had a minotaur show up, only to have it's skull broken in by a nearby rhino. Not only did I lose the chance to pit my champion against a minotaur one on one, but a pack of rhinos ten metres from a line of cage traps were scared away.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37873 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:22 pm »

Just started this fort, cruising a long in the first year, and the dwarven liaison shows up. Apparently there were a number of setbacks recently - such as the loss of seven or eight towns, and wouldn't you know it, the Queen has passed as well. Turns out her next of kin is part of my embark party, sooo... the Beggar Queen is crowned!

It's been a year and I still haven't seen an immigration wave. All seven of my dwarves have been working non stop trying to get royal-quality rooms put together from scratch. The labor crunch is insane. At least I haven't seen hide or hair of any enemies. And honestly, she has a good personality for a ruler, and her mandates consist of making coffins and greaves, so easy enough to do. Now she just needs some more subjects.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37874 on: November 08, 2014, 08:49:08 pm »

A forgotten beast pair attacked Silentthunders from the 2nd layer and the 3rd layer simultaneously, one being a three-tailed water beast and the other being an eyeless raven that emitted noxious fumes. At last I was to be challenged! At last!
Or not. Recruit Dobar was promoted to Urist after felling the great Raven Spogu with a single bolt to the head and permitted to add Spogu to his name in addition to Titans. The area was promptly cleared for syndrome contamination, and being rather bored I sent my military response party to go chase the locals around.

There were no big visible threats in sight, there were 7 Forgotten Beasts on the map still roaming about but they seemed content with their slices of the caverns as long as I didn't intrude on them. Nor were there the roaming bands of undead cavern critters that built up every now and then, or especially noteworthy cavern beasts like spiders or ogres. Just the Dwarves, some ancient undead leftovers from the first great horde and some plump helmet men. After some good teamwork and clever herding two were captured and two were regretfully killed:
The two survivors. I'm not particularly sure what to do with my guests, sacrificing them to the magma quarry seems like an appealing idea but I get guests so rarely that I'm inclined to think of any other worthy alternatives. Perhaps construct a habitat for them. It is a particular shame that a breeding pair was not secured. I reckon I'll sacrifice my Blind Cave Ogre to the quarry and do something benign for the plump helmet people, or perhaps simply imprison them. Suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 3842