Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107761 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37125 on: September 14, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »

So when I get to minecarts (eventually), then it sounds like I won't need to work about multiple Z levels at the barrel. Sweet.

Finally another update to The Cheerful Lands. That noxious parrot I mentioned a while back has finally spawned.
No clue what it does, and I don't want to find out. And no, I won't scum for it.
I only used scumming for zombie-bird-spawncamping or web-farmplot-water-camping incidents, not small stuff like "what happens if I order a dwarf to ..."

Spoiler: The beast appears (click to show/hide)

I don't want to just cross my fingers on the gas, so I order walls and station my lesser militia.
If the beast is toxic, then the leather-squads can serve as delay. We'll see.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So everything is fine, and we are sealed in.
But the beast has switched from "path directly to meeting hall" AI to "wander the caverns" AI...
Yea I'm gonna need to put it down somehow.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37126 on: September 14, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »

I have a question about aquifers. I' e never dealt with them before. I've managed to break a single tile of the aquifer on my map and am attempting to harness its water supply. It's flown into a rough containment area with 2 z-level deep pools to keep it fresh. If I dig down from above and make holes in the ceiling in order to make wells, will the aquifer continue to produce water, causing the resulting rise to flood my fortress, or will it only fill to aquifer level?

Aquifers, by themselves, stop at aquifer level.

If you start adding pumps and stuff, then things can change.
Okay, so with the new climbing, will my Dwarves dig the shaft and climb up, or will the die and leave their stinking carcasses to polute my water source?

The carcasses one, probably.  Digging a clean shaft requires some kind of secondary access unless it's only 1z deep.  Also, dwarven climbing is kinda inconsistent.  Sometimes they'll climb up and over things and hang from walls like monkeys, but other times they'll absolutely refuse to consider climbing even a single z-level.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37127 on: September 14, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »

So I found a site in the desert of the Armored Dunes that has, according to DFHack prospect all, 67000 magnetite, flux, 23000 gold, and 13000 platinum. Also 32000 assorted gems. Oh, and 480 bismuthnite, and no copper. Heh. This was in a custom world with metals set to 1500, I believe.

Think I'll set up a mining colony with the goal of harvesting as much as possible and making as much expensive goods as possible.

Welcome to Wealthbound, mining outpost of the dwarves of The Abyssmal Greed. There will be swag.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37128 on: September 14, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »

Hmm... I might be able to prevent the carcass outcome using a bit of creative stair usage. Can a well lower through a stair, or will those need to be removed?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37129 on: September 14, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »

You could just ignore the corpse altogether.  Is it actually lacing up your water?

Ive definitely had forts where my miner fell into my first year cistern and I left him there.  Once he even turned into a cute little ghost who would steal blocks and bring them topside.  I kept him as a mascot.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37130 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »

You could just ignore the corpse altogether.  Is it actually lacing up your water?

Ive definitely had forts where my miner fell into my first year cistern and I left him there.  Once he even turned into a cute little ghost who would steal blocks and bring them topside.  I kept him as a mascot.
Lol. I've never actually had one fall in, but I'd think having a rotten corpse and blood in our water supply would have negative effects. I'm also kind of light on mining power after my legendary miner went crazy and half my fort died.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37131 on: September 14, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »

-snip-
Lol. I've never actually had one fall in, but I'd think having a rotten corpse and blood in our water supply would have negative effects. I'm also kind of light on mining power after my legendary miner went crazy and half my fort died.

Did you have fun?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37132 on: September 14, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »

I managed to get the webbing beast closer to my fort, but not before seeing it fight three blind cave ogres. thoses things are surprisingly tough and managed to break some bones before going down. I can see how the previous webbed FB got killed by them.

On another note, another FB showed up, an earthwork with noxious secretions. both FBs are stuck in the underwater lake, but the one with webs is closer.

On another note, I just had an unexpected childsplosion. turns out I forgot to edit the init file after updating to 0.40.12, so I have a bunch of babies now. the strict population cap might be able to get rid of some before they become problematic.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37133 on: September 14, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »

-snip-

Did you have fun?
Yeah. It helped clean out all of our useless fishermen and hunters that weren't serving a purpose. Only major casualty was a near legendary carpenter. Oh well.
Retired/Extended Sigs

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37134 on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »

I managed to get the webbing beast closer to my fort, but not before seeing it fight three blind cave ogres. thoses things are surprisingly tough and managed to break some bones before going down. I can see how the previous webbed FB got killed by them.

On another note, another FB showed up, an earthwork with noxious secretions. both FBs are stuck in the underwater lake, but the one with webs is closer.

On another note, I just had an unexpected childsplosion. turns out I forgot to edit the init file after updating to 0.40.12, so I have a bunch of babies now. the strict population cap might be able to get rid of some before they become problematic.
So long as you can seal your fort from pathing you can pit a tame creature into the caverns and move it with meeting areas.  A timid creature will flee from the beast, but a dog withh likely fight.  Or would, in 34.11.

Anywho you can bait it closer that way.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37135 on: September 14, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

I've just had a 143 year old peasant arrive at my fort. No skills, and likely to die before hitting legendary in anything worthwhile.

Welcome to the hauler corps.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37136 on: September 14, 2014, 08:44:57 pm »

Another update from The Cheerful Land of Ghouls

Grumpy militia Hikari yelled at somebody in charge, and felt much better afterward.
Also, I need to give props to my legendary Tanner. She's tanning those skins like a champ.

I get a message telling me that I need to build nest boxes. Fast.
Don't build your bait halls facing the northeast corner of the map.
You won't catch any Forgotten Beasts that way.
It looked like a husk put his head into a water pump. Only one thing to do.
Another WereElk. But the horde does not yield. It only assimilates.

I finally open up magma in the next update.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37137 on: September 14, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »

More than enough dead, my fortress is still chugging, this is the second year on a haunted biome, alot are from clouds.
Strike the earth!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #37138 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:07 am »

A human siege appeared for exatcly one tick and promptly left.
I didn't notice that, so I put everyone in the military.
And they charged the nearest giant chinchilla, assisted by a dog.
They're all unconscious from over-exertion, including the dog and the chinchilla.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37139 on: September 15, 2014, 08:49:17 am »

My refuse stockpile is on fire!  :o

what-how-what?  ???

edit: I think I know why. I bet some idiot went down my dump shaft / useless animal depository to retrieve a valuable ‼Xstray bunny neckX‼.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:52:31 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 3842