Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107564 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37110 on: September 14, 2014, 07:37:59 am »

Upgraded my magma cannon from four iron to five platinum minecarts. The cadence rose from three shots in 90 to four shots in 88 steps, about 25% faster. Not bad. It's still an unholy hog to stop and re-start.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37111 on: September 14, 2014, 09:24:07 am »

Found an hour of free time, so I started a temporary inevitable fort with the goal of reproducing the reanimation zero mass bug and the Z coordinate lockon combat bugs. Hope to upload saves eventually.

My initial experience:
ソ Praise Toady. Glumprong roots are purple !!
ン Curse Toady. Dwarf names are terrible !! Litast ?? iteb ?? I'm keeping 'em standard for testing, but damn if anyone wants my Bash script to replace names PM me.
ノ Then after going Ray Rice on a falcon zombie, the dwarves died to the subsequent spawning raven zombies.

Does anyone have the bug tracker for these two bugs?

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37112 on: September 14, 2014, 11:49:36 am »

Well, my brother and me have 3 different vampires on 3 different worlds... all in the first wave.

I knew the wave was odd; it was somewhat useful. 3 farmers, a proficient or above... wood burner (who isn't a vampire, usefully), a second mason and a few others, and then my vampire. Adequate or above on every social skill, Adequate or above on a vast array of other skills, Adequate on most military skills, a competent Pikedwarf (as I modded the RAWs to make pikes a native weapon), a competent or above metalsmith and a very good bowyer. Seriously, before disposing of him, I'm going to be making use of his talents!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #37113 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »

Come down with a cold... Not much fun, I'll tell you.

Decided to load up DF and play for a bit.

Urist McMayor mandates a bracelet. How the heck do I make those?

Hmm... Time to consult the Wiki...

Goddammit Mayor!

I can't be bothered making a ton of cloth crafts just so Urist McUselessMayor can have a stupid bracelet! Especially when my brain is ridden with cold!

Time to build a pumpstack down to magma...
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37114 on: September 14, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

The werehyena’s maw dripped with fresh gore as it howled with laughter.  As it stood over the fresh kill, a giant emu six times the hyena’s size, the fell beast snuffed the air, picking up the scent of a lone wood-cuter dwarf.  She was heading home, struggling slowly under a full load; unaware of the werehyena tracking her.

Commander Ral grimly watched the tableau unfolding across the bridge.  Beside him, the mechanic cursed as he hurriedly tried to fix the stuck linkage.  Face ashen, Ral turned to his nine men, “We must hold it off until the gate seals Mountainhome.  Move out.”

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37115 on: September 14, 2014, 01:13:11 pm »

The priorities of some dorfs...  ::)

> fort is full of ghosts and decaying corpses
Code: [Select]
marble coffin
This is the resting place of Inish Tekkud, Billy goat (tame)

FFFFFUUUUU...  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37116 on: September 14, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »

The priorities of some dorfs...  ::)

> fort is full of ghosts and decaying corpses
marble coffin
This is the resting place of Inish Tekkud, Billy goat (tame)

FFFFFUUUUU...  >:(

You could of set all coffins to only accept dwarfs to not have that happen. Or mass produce slabs and engrave them. Or do both. Or drown the fort in water. Or in magma. OR both. Or everything mentioned above and more.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37117 on: September 14, 2014, 02:30:10 pm »

Having finally pierced and subsequently sealed off access to the caverns, I have finally moved my pastures indoors.
Since last time I posted, the humans had been slaughtering my livestock... they did leave me a couple sheep and a horse, plus two pigs and a bull. The time before that, it was invading goblins slaying all me critters. And goblins the time before that, too (I miss me bunnies).
So I've lost three COLLECTIONS of animals to invaders, but now I won't. Ever. Again.

Also, using upward ramps 2Zs below surface to dig what will hopefully be tree farms. Since 40.X has multitile trees, the previous system for tree farming doesn't work, so I'm giving them room to grow upwards and lay roots too.

Edit: Facepalm. I have one dwarf who's been sleeping for over a year, without being rescued because he apparently doesn't need it, but he has a broken hand, anyways, he's been sleeping like a rock for over a year now. His name? Mestthos Graniteyawning.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:37:54 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37118 on: September 14, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »

I have a question about aquifers. I' e never dealt with them before. I've managed to break a single tile of the aquifer on my map and am attempting to harness its water supply. It's flown into a rough containment area with 2 z-level deep pools to keep it fresh. If I dig down from above and make holes in the ceiling in order to make wells, will the aquifer continue to produce water, causing the resulting rise to flood my fortress, or will it only fill to aquifer level?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37119 on: September 14, 2014, 02:55:13 pm »

Aaannnd five shots in 88 steps. Cadence of my magma cannon is now the load time, this should be the optimum possible for the given base concept. Design:
WFFFW     
☼RRRW     .╔══#
WRW▲W     #║#╚#
WRW▲W     #║#╚#
WRW▲W     #║#╚#
W▼W▲W     #║#╚#
W▲W▲W     #╗#╚#
W▲W▲W     #╗#╚#
[x15...]
☼RRRW     .╚═╝#
WWWSW     ###║#

W - Wall
R - Roller (medium and high speed at the top, highest at the bottom, always in line with the exit directions of the track tiles)
F - Fortification, for shooting through. Since carts get pulled away after the collision via rollers, they can smack directly into the fortification, no need for extra "trigger" carts. The rollers give a slight westward slant to the shots, but at the high incoming speed, that means the angle shifts by about eight degrees, which is easy enough to adjust for.
▲ - Impulse ramps to provide acceleration
▼ - "loading pond, full of pumped magma, with straight track engraved on the pseudo-ramp (doesn't provide acceleration/deceleration)
S - hauling route stop with order to "push north when empty", to get the carts into the circuit.
☼ - gear assemblies transmitting power to the rollers. Both assemblies and rollers should be magma-proof.

Carts must be entered via dwarven push, they don't space out properly otherwise. The acceleration path is pretty long, resulting in very high shot speed. Each cart takes 88 steps for a full cycle, and there are five in the barrel. I've no idea yet how good this thing is militarily, but it's quite effective at starting forest fires. The elves will be delighted.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37120 on: September 14, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »

I finally posted a bug for the indestructible zombie hair, which makes zombie butchering a sad panda.
v40 looks awesome !! But I'm staying in The Cheeful Land of Ghouls v34 for a while longer until combat gets a few more tweaks.
I mean, what's the point of axing zombies if you can't enjoy a little zombie bacon afterwards ???

I've no idea yet how good this thing is militarily, but it's quite effective at starting forest fires
The fortifications appear to be on the same z level as the minecart.
I always thought the carts ejected their contents one Z-level above the cart? But I could be wrong

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37121 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »

I have a question about aquifers. I' e never dealt with them before. I've managed to break a single tile of the aquifer on my map and am attempting to harness its water supply. It's flown into a rough containment area with 2 z-level deep pools to keep it fresh. If I dig down from above and make holes in the ceiling in order to make wells, will the aquifer continue to produce water, causing the resulting rise to flood my fortress, or will it only fill to aquifer level?

Aquifers, by themselves, stop at aquifer level.

If you start adding pumps and stuff, then things can change.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37122 on: September 14, 2014, 03:44:03 pm »

Today, my fort was visited by an elven caravan . . . who did not bring any cloth to sell. Not a scrap.

Then, totally unplanned, I bought exactly 1337 Urists of goods from them.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37123 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

Aquifers, by themselves, stop at aquifer level.

If you start adding pumps and stuff, then things can change.
Okay, so with the new climbing, will my Dwarves dig the shaft and climb up, or will the die and leave their stinking carcasses to polute my water source?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37124 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »

I've no idea yet how good this thing is militarily, but it's quite effective at starting forest fires
The fortifications appear to be on the same z level as the minecart.
I always thought the carts ejected their contents one Z-level above the cart? But I could be wrong
[/quote]

I've built all my minecart cannons with the fortifications on the track level and never had a problem. If there's open space above, liquid spawns on the level above, but with closed ceiling, liquid comes out on the same level. It appears to be the same with shotguns, but i never really bothered with them, 'cause they can't be fully automatised.

I'm seriously considering making a Minecart Education thread when the .40 versions have stabilised, there are tons of half-understood features and misconceptions concerning them.
Pages: 1 ... 2473 2474 [2475] 2476 2477 ... 3842