Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2472 2473 [2474] 2475 2476 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107433 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37095 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »

Nothing unusual there, cats get that as natural skill.

Some more fiddling around and i finally managed to make my dwarfs roost in the trees. I.e. i installed their bedrooms up there. It's pretty straightforward - trees disappear if you erect any kind of solid construction that overlaps any of their parts, but you can build bridges and floors immediately adjacent to them - and directly above. And you can install beds and other furniture on top of branches.

I haven't brewed a thing in almost two years and am now pretty sure that if there's any unhappiness caused by alcohol withdrawal, it must be invisible. My 25+ beards went dry from one dwarf caravan to the next (no human traders, only the teetotalling elves) and no-one showed any visible unhappy thoughts related to the lack of booze; they even went for a drink quickly enough that i haven't seeen a single complaint of thirst.

Water purification by pump still works. I was quite pleased to see that minecarts purify water, too.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37096 on: September 13, 2014, 01:58:54 am »

Designated EVERY muskmelon to be harvested.
Everything will be muskmelons. EVERYTHING.

Also, I managed to successfully capture and tame a ((named but wild)) Jabberer ((among other things like countless unicorns, badgers and dingoes)), but at the cost of a Trader ((whom I can't remember what he did. He was probably a Mechanic-in-training)) and now I'm unsure as to whether or not to release it for war training; will it turn on my dwarves?

EDIT: A Forgotten Beast composed of flame appeared in my completely submerged cavern. It's currently evaporating all the water. I approve of its existence.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:36:30 am by Lolfail0009 »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37097 on: September 13, 2014, 02:52:25 am »

I was digging out a wall of the dining hall to have access to the waterfall, and the next thing I knew, there were alligators everywhere. Turns out that "Harvestflood River" should have been called "Alligator Creek", and I should have thought it through and stationed a military when I dug the window/balcony. The alligators managed to kill more than half the population before we finally killed them off, and I put in traps along the new balcony river edge, put in windows so people could watch the traps, and didn't think about it for a halfyear. Migrants arrive, act horrified, clean up the blood all over the floor and walls, then get killed by the next wave of alligators. This repeats.

The expedition leader lost one and a half hands in the Great Alligator War, and now spends his days engraving Alligators and Dwarf Warriors (and, inexplicably, cassowarys) on the marble walls, then doing brokering when the traders come and buy all our alligator leather, roast alligator meat and alligator-bone-crafts. Apparently he can do this fine with less than a handful of remaining fingers. ???
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Phalgrin

• Bay Watcher
  • The mayor's mandate has "ended"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37098 on: September 13, 2014, 05:11:18 am »

After my fort became a metropolis I carved out the mountain it was dug into around the fortress perimeter, and then went about mining out a layer of the embark a few z levels under the third cavern so i can eventually lure the monarch and collapse the embark zone. 65 dwarfs were assigned to the tasks, and 13 became legendary miners by the end. I haven't mined out the sides of the embark yet, and i'm not really sure how to go about it either. In the meantime the miners have nothing to do, any ideas on how to keep all these miners busy?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37099 on: September 13, 2014, 05:33:16 am »

After my fort became a metropolis I carved out the mountain it was dug into around the fortress perimeter, and then went about mining out a layer of the embark a few z levels under the third cavern so i can eventually lure the monarch and collapse the embark zone. 65 dwarfs were assigned to the tasks, and 13 became legendary miners by the end. I haven't mined out the sides of the embark yet, and i'm not really sure how to go about it either. In the meantime the miners have nothing to do, any ideas on how to keep all these miners busy?

Military duty. Make some extra picks for combat.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #37100 on: September 13, 2014, 09:52:17 am »

Testing out the new feral caste on my mod.

Because I confused Frequency with Pop ration, 14 of them just arrived in a migrant wave. They can't work. They just kill everything that's not one of them.I'm going to have to fix the problem, clearly. It's hilarious. On the other hand, if the Goblins attack, I have some random meatshields that are happy to get between my citizens and the attackers.

A caravan rolled through from the homeland. They massacred every animal in it and then spent the rest of the season chasing a terrified yak herd around the map. One of the merchants was feral. He entered the map, savaged his own animals and killed another merchant...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:39:54 pm by WordsandChaos »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37101 on: September 13, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »

there's a forgotten beast with webs down in the basement. I've set up a trap area, complete with a sacrifice boar and a table for it to enjoy its meal in luxury, but it hasn't taken the bait yet. I think it's because I set the trap on a cavern layer with a massive lake, which screws up its pathfinding, or it's too distracted by the wildlife there.

Now it's hunting crundles in the third cavern layer. I forgot to seal the downward passage. On the bright side, it is providing me a service by getting rid of crundles. on the other hand, this means the web farm has been delayed yet again.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37102 on: September 13, 2014, 06:38:59 pm »

Somehow a hydra survived my 28 drop moat without injury, so I guess he's going to be my moat creature. Dry moat full of megabeasts, anyone? Okay, one megabeast. I was going to fill it with every female grizzly or black bear I had, keeping males for war so the moat gets filled with bears, but hey, more bears for me!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37103 on: September 13, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

Somehow a hydra survived my 28 drop moat without injury, so I guess he's going to be my moat creature. Dry moat full of megabeasts, anyone? Okay, one megabeast. I was going to fill it with every female grizzly or black bear I had, keeping males for war so the moat gets filled with bears, but hey, more bears for me!
isnt 28 zlevels of dry moat abit much? :P  Well, now its time to make a convoluted path through it and put random traps on the path.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37104 on: September 13, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »

It took a little over a year to dig, but it doesn't seem to be too much. My fort is stuck on the multiple Z levels between the moat walls, but I still have enough room.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37105 on: September 13, 2014, 11:04:16 pm »

Finaly have gotten TWO hours of playing Dwarf Fortress in in about one week due to school, ice hockey, and job training if I choose to do it which i probably will.

To stay on topic, one of my worlds got corrputed somehow and it was going realy well with HFS waiting to face my military of elites and the goblins being butchered as they attempt to take the last dwarf bastion down. It was going to end with a great deal of Fun.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #37106 on: September 14, 2014, 12:11:17 am »

My PC has 700MB RAM and a XVII-century processor, so when I left the room for FIVE HOURS, the channel I was digging only progressed by maybe 7 tiles.

BUT I WILL NEVER SURRENDER
On earlier build the negative FPS was semi-bearable, I couldn't finish my turns in succesion games in time but it was kind of playable. Well, no more.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37107 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:17 am »

Decided to do a military embark- six military dwarves, "full" suits of bronze armor with leather robes, cloaks, mits, and hoods, iron weapons, lots of ores, little food, and only one non-military dwarf... Only problem is that I forgot to buy the boots in pairs. Everyone either has both boots or none. Why can't it be autumn already... >.>

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37108 on: September 14, 2014, 12:34:09 am »

Trust no one.
Keep your crossbow handy.
The Overseer is your Friend.

Bolt Frenzy nears the end of its 2nd year.  With the establishment of a proper metal industry, the envy of the mutant traitor goblins is piqued, and thieves arrive to take beyond their security clearance.

But the Loyal Troubleshooters of the Overseer are ever vigilant.  While authority for 'weapons grade' ammunition has yet to be issued, red clearance wood and orange clearance bone bolts prove sufficient, demonstrating the wisdom of the Overseer in providing what is needed without waste.  Loyal citizens need not be concerned about the decision to allow yellow clearance lead ammunition to be manufactured and issued, for the Overseer will not allow mutant traitor goblins to harm them.  Green clearance bronze has been (redacted due to insufficient clearance), while (redacted due to insufficient clearance) has (redacted due to insufficient clearance).

Despite temporary authorization to access yellow level equipment, the Overseer reminds all citizens that their current red clearance does not permit them individual rooms, however the Overseer is delighted to announce that a new bedroom design, incorporating a fortified firing position and built into the planned exterior curtain wall, will soon be available, and that clearance upgrades are coming.

The Overseer wishes to thank all citizens for their co-operation in the difficult time of establishing a new colony outpost, and wishes to remind everyone to trust no one, keep your crossbow handy, and that the Overseer is your friend.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #37109 on: September 14, 2014, 07:17:35 am »

My PC has 700MB RAM and a XVII-century processor, so when I left the room for FIVE HOURS, the channel I was digging only progressed by maybe 7 tiles.

BUT I WILL NEVER SURRENDER
On earlier build the negative FPS was semi-bearable, I couldn't finish my turns in succesion games in time but it was kind of playable. Well, no more.

If you want some advice, I got huge FPS returns by modding all cavern life to show up on the first cavern layer and then only generating 1 cavern layer again. Just change the minimum wetness to 1 so you always have some water and your cavern doesn't end up muddy, or you can wind up having no naturally occurring underground plants.
This results in a fairly substantial FPS boost, but doesn't really change much about gameplay since the extra caverns were just an escalating challenge. If you can get all of the challenge in one go, no big loss.
Pages: 1 ... 2472 2473 [2474] 2475 2476 ... 3842