Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2366 2367 [2368] 2369 2370 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099381 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35505 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:40 pm »

One of the dwarves in my fort has a book written about him.

Udib Gateweather is one of my original seven.  As for the dwarf that engraved the image, Udib Gatheweather happens to be her only friend.

Why would there be a book about him?  I'm assuming he didn't come into existence until I embarked.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35506 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:15 pm »

A Scorching Phantom has gone missing for me apparently.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #35507 on: July 10, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »

Just had a "Hostile" migrant show up:

They're just standing around the area they appeared. It shows her as an "@".
Legends mode shows she's nothing special. Her only kills were 2 jaguars and a grizzly bear.

She's also not at all hostile. She didn't do anything when I sent some dwarves to stand next to her.

EDIT: Just had another one show up. This is silly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:20:16 pm by Jack_Bread »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35508 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »

Spring comes to Spiritnets, and with it the most likely time for war making. In spite of the new update, I'll plod onwards with this fort until it gets corrupted/simply won't function anymore. I wanna see this war play out.

EDIT: "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!"

They come, as was expected. It is time for the dwarves of Spiritnets to face true foes.

EDIT II: A second ambush, and Skirn Woodcrafts sprinted forward ahead of everyone else and killed the nearest elf in brutal fashion (he punched his head into a lump of gore.) The enemy promptly began to flee save a spearmaster and two bowelves, and a recruit who Skirn had grabbed with his spear. And then punched to death before turning his attention to the spearmaster, also punched to death. He seems to prefer using his fists to kill things, using his spear to finish the bowelves and a fleeing swordelf.

Skirn has earned the title "The Feed of Reverence" for his six kills.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35509 on: July 10, 2014, 06:44:52 pm »

Zombies are fucking nightmares if you don't have a real militia. A hidden necromancer raised ONE elf merchant I'd killed and my 7 infantry and 2 archers were slaughtered.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35510 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »

Zombies are fucking nightmares if you don't have a real militia. A hidden necromancer raised ONE elf merchant I'd killed and my 7 infantry and 2 archers were slaughtered.

Takes months of training to get the to the point where they can cope with the stench of death.

I scored a rather badass fishery worker who's managed to kill two night creatures (not easy in the new release,) and 82 animal men/giant animals. in recognition of her skill and bravery, the dorf dubbed Kreia has been assigned her own squad.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #35511 on: July 10, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »

Just had a "Hostile" migrant show up:

They're just standing around the area they appeared. It shows her as an "@".
Legends mode shows she's nothing special. Her only kills were 2 jaguars and a grizzly bear.

She's also not at all hostile. She didn't do anything when I sent some dwarves to stand next to her.

EDIT: Just had another one show up. This is silly.
This happened to me, too. I'm guessing it's some glitchiness with the new hostility code.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35512 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »

A forgotten beast, an immense sauropod with two short tails, external ribs, and a toxic bite has arrived from below with ill intent in its heart, and it was quick to smash a door to pieces. The Ships of Turquoise have been sent to meet it and with luck the past year of training will make them more than a match for such a creature.

EDIT: 5v1, more than a match. Especially after its teeth got knocked out with a mace.

I am also disappointed about the lack of elves to kill.

EDIT II: And now a second weaver has gone and accidentally killed himself by thinking trees exist as convenient travel routes over the cavern lake. I was prepared for this and poor Steel has been memorialized with the headstone put to a courtesy coffin, cause there's no way well be able to recover his or Perat's corpses.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35513 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »

As it happened, both embarks I started on DF 2012 just before the new update dropped were right next to Necromancer towers. The UI, uh, quite needs to make a bigger deal out of that, considering they are considerably more deadly than Goblin armies ever could be, and they attack much faster. As in, possibly before your first supply caravan, you could be facing an ambush. Of reanimated beings. With an ambushing, hidden Necromancer who flees as soon as he sees your guys and thus makes locating him, much less taking him out, practically impossible. And infinite hordes of your own dead rise against you.

Often without the game bothering to even ping you with an alert; I found out the Undead were in my primary 'access lift' stairs only AS it was happening. Needless to say, my first embark didn't last long. I hadn't even hooked up the drawbridge in the entrance, two zombie horses walked in and effortlessly slaughtered my seven settler non-military dorfs.

Second time we held the line a bit better, purely due to having more time, but again I completely unwittingly embarked into a Necro area. In fact, I practically camped on the guy's front lawn and challenged him to a fight without knowing it. Despite some valiant efforts, that fell too. Mainly because 2014 was out and I wanted to play that instead, dangit.

As I type this my first standard world is cooking. I plan to find a good, well-wooded hill and embark for a human-style town of wood and stone buildings aboveground, just because it sounds neat to try it. A trick I saw from others who cared to try it, that I'll be doing, is getting the high ground then removing all the ramps except like three, connected only via drawbridge, making it practically as safe as if it were buried underground, minus flying enemies or bowmen. Hrm.

The building plan will be roughly like a frontier fort, starting with a small central secured building and expanding out in rings of construction/farm fields. That, plus the hill strategy, may give me a decent chance to make it work. I think an early emphasis on crossbows might be good too. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Maybe it's just because I've been using tilesets so long, but I think the ASCII graphics have their own beauty to them, especially with a broad color range.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seed please.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35514 on: July 10, 2014, 09:41:43 pm »

The trap halls in The Joyful Land of Ghouls managed to remove some of the zombies from the surface. A few corpses still retained their Invader-AI after reanimating, they reliably tried to path to my meeting hall even after zombification. I was able to snag two even though they weren't immediately within line of sight of the bait.

esperandus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35515 on: July 10, 2014, 10:42:36 pm »

Hematite, 94

My final 34.11 fortress, Equivalencegears, nears the second phase of my first large project: a 12-Z high, 65x65 obsidianizer. The final touches to the screw stack have been met, and it awaits only wind power.

The fortress is set up in the middle of 3 natural peaks blocking major highways, with the central peak serving as a 'temporary' fort, intended to be the eventual home of the military-only dwarves (and defense stuff), while the to-be-created obsidian tower will house the majority of the population and the industry.

A road is in the works which will house defensive fortifications, trade depots, and diplomatic housing, which will travel between the two towers. Given the position of the natural peaks, this road will eventually be the only way to pass E-W through the map; this passage is on hiatus until the obsidianizer is complete, though.

Once it is working, I intend to carve out a pleasant tower from the raw obsidian, with every surface engraved, and a multi-z level  main hall with engraved obsidian pillars serving to hold things together.

Being DF, I have had a few issues along the way in the current 8 years of the fort. Recently, I opened up the 3rd caverns to get some candy, and unleashed no fewer than 9 forgotten beasts at once which had been accumulating. 5 of them were trapped, and the remaining 4 fell to my dwarves, with one casualty, and a few dwarves infected with advanced rot. Unfortunately, my well is now full of multiple kinds of forgotten beast extract. Not wanting to take chances, I have switched to a backup water supply (purified surface pools).

If anyone reading happens to know, I would love to find out if dwarves can get infected by forgotten beast extract from drinking contaminated water. I am tempted to experiment, but my population is low and I fear the consequences (maybe when I can isolate some dwarves, i will). My well is nearly at the magma sea - the only water in the caverns was the LAST normal Z layer - and relocating it is a pain (it is central to my main stairwell, etc).

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35516 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:58 am »

New fort. It's not going well.

I dug straight down into the caves. The resident giant olm didn't like that. It bit off my macedwarf's foot, then ripped off his arm. He died screaming for help.

My swordsdwarf shit herself in fear and, uh, buggily flew around the caverns for a while before landing on the other side of some water with the olm. Luckily the beast ran off the map, unluckily my dwarf chilled there angrily for a while before I got her back.

When she did, she was tantruming. She knocked my doctor unconscious and beat him until his head caved in. She is currently horrified at her own actions.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35517 on: July 11, 2014, 01:07:33 am »

I tried to pierce an aquifer, but just everything went wrong. First I set up the cave-indirectly above where I wanted to pierce, with I single tile holding the block of soil to the surface. Then I went to channeling out the aquifer, which worked fine until the final bit when two of my five miners drowned on the ramp. I figured, "fair enough, they can be memorialized when I get some stone", and went to channel out that last floor tile at the top and bring it down.

Except that it didn't fall. That was confusing in it's own right, so I thought that maybe diagonal connections counted as support now. Then I connected it again with a log and went about channeling all the corners, and deconstructed the log floor to try again. But that didn't work either- there was a good 6x7x4 block of various sediments being held in the air by nothing. Then I noticed that there were trees growing on the demon-dirt-pile, and that of these trees, a few roots were on the very edge of the block. I figured "Why the hell not?", and dug all those out. And then it finally crashed into the aquifer just before crashing my game. :'(
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35518 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:58 am »

Started a 0.34.11 fort while waiting for the major bugs to be fixed and for utilities to update. Finally worked up the courage to turn invaders on, so I might have some Fun. Currently have Plump Helmets growing and am moving stuff inside. I did have a plan for dealing with ambushes, but I'll just use traps in my hall. Now to figure out where to put them...
Also, first post.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35519 on: July 11, 2014, 06:37:27 am »

Piercing the aquifer (using a plug cut out of the hillside), AKA Operation Men-Who-Can-Channel (and one woman), is going well (for a first attempt). So far, only one dwarf has been seriously injured, and it's only taken two tries. I hope this works.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2366 2367 [2368] 2369 2370 ... 3842