Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2315 2316 [2317] 2318 2319 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099822 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34740 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:02 pm »

Back to my engineering test/madness fortress.

To complete my obsidian farm/fill the reservoir that will eventually service the hospital/any water-using construction projects, I need a water source. Unfortunately, I have neither a river nor an aquifer, and on an evil biome ponds don't refill. So, cavern water it is.
The pumpstack to the caverns has been dug/smoothed, with the exception of some channeling remaining to be done. After that, it's time to construct the stack! Probably out of wood, since I have that in abundance.
The reservoir and associate systems have had paved roads constructed on them to prevent tree growth from blocking the pipes.

I'm not sure how much I can over-engineer this. This fort is getting... intense.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34741 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:48 pm »

The two hammerdwarfs I took with me on embark to a sinister forest have started sparring. One of them, Stakud Glovedoor, was asleep when they "started" sparring. Their sparring partner is Sibrek Channelboats, who is currently unhappy due to having to fight a couple harpies outdoors in the revolting yet lovely colored teal ooze.

Sibrek is currently bashing Stakud on the head with their warhammer and calling it sparring. Over. And over. And over again. This went on for two days before Stakud woke up from her nap.

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34742 on: June 03, 2014, 04:45:41 am »

After the disaster of my silly modding, I went back to being practical. I haven't yet built a fort for the world, but here it is:

It's been The Age of the Goblin since the first dawn of the year 338 AA (After Armok). 337 and every year before it, to the beginning of time, was a part of the first and only Golden Age. Now, in the year 1000, seven and a half thousand goblins roam the earth, along with several necromancers, mostly human. Interestingly, the last event of the Golden Age and the first event of the Age of Goblins were both battles in which the Goblins lost.

In any case, I'm going to have two copies of the world, one running adventure mode, and the other for fort mode, I'll post the antics of the latter here for your viewing pleasure.

Edit: Had to regen the world for various reasons, but nothing's really changed, due to using the same seed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:01:21 am by Covenant Ringthane »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34743 on: June 03, 2014, 04:48:32 am »

:o

I think my dwarves just discovered a 60z level candy spire.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34744 on: June 03, 2014, 06:15:40 am »

Just finished getting a potential tantrum spiral under control caused by a goblin ambush and a dwarven child only to realize that I forgot to keep my military training. A second goblin ambush restarted the spiral after I had worked so hard stopping it, and destroyed my fort.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34745 on: June 03, 2014, 06:20:39 am »

:o

I think my dwarves just discovered a 60z level candy spire.

Congrats! Now you can make your archer pillboxes from pure adamantine! And addy socks for everybody.

Shift registers revisited, episode tan90:

I had tried the basic concept previously in a bit-rotator that would've been almost impossible to properly load with new data, but the principle was sound and promised a sizable bit shift in a single 100 step activity pulse, at much fewer mechanisms than the water-logic one i posted earlier. I just finished building and testing it, and it works, although of course an unanticipated feature decided to intervene and make things tricky.

The pathing is slightly improper, since i first spaced the thing too tightly - i realised after the primary carving that i needed an extra tile of space between the magazines for proper control, so there's an unused extra track line in the picture.

From left to right: "on" cart magazine, "off" cart magazine, register proper.
"On" carts are copper, "off" iron (and one brass), pressure plates in the register and return controller are calibrated to minimum load 350. When a shift is ordered, the cart on the northern end of the register (no longer actually "registered") is pushed off to the west, over two plates: first deactivates the roller it just came from, second (weight-sensitive) deactivates or leaves active the magazine sorting roller; the cart moves into the magazine it came from. At the same time, one cart of either "on" or "off" weight (determined by the state of the "data" lever) is extracted from its magazine, goes over a pressure plate which deactivates the "load" roller it just came from and activates the magazine's long roller, which then pushes a new cart onto the load roller. I had first built the long rollers as always active, but that blocks output from the load roller, seems like the cart gets wedged in. This accounted for ten more mechanisms than i had anticipated.

Anyway, the cart that's to be shifted into the register then rolls onto the roller on the bottom end of the register and gets pushed north, pushing all already-present carts and moving onto the bottommost plate then. The topmost cart gets pushed out of the register proper, landing on the return roller (which is still inactive).

The register needs a short-term input signal to work with; if base input is something longer-term like a lever-pull, an additional pulse converter (e.g. an edge detector) is required. The shifted-out cart will be held on the return roller, it's not directly output (e.g. for use as carry bit or the like). You'd need a two-cycle operation to collect it - first load/shift, then return the shifted-out cart. With simultaneous single-cycle operation, you'll end up with the shifted-out cart sitting on the fence. Thus, in this design, you actually need bitnumber+2 carts for each state to encode each possible register state, thanks to a double-fencepost problem. I only have room for nine carts each in my magazines, which could go wrong.

Material: 19 minecarts (i have one more "off" than "on" carts, but see above regarding magazine sizes), just under 50 mechanisms (including rollers) for the operation logic including drive train from the cutoff gearbox, not counting output. Some of the design is definitely not optimal, so there's some room for improvement, and most of the mechanisms are core operation logic, it only takes ~1/2 mechanism to operate each additional bit, a 16-bit register would take double the minecarts and outputs, but only six more mechanisms to run. The load/reload cycle could probably be run from the return plate instead of the two load plates, which combined with fewer "corners" in the power train should get it down to 45 mechanisms including the output plates but not their outgoing connections, vs. 6+x per bit in the water-based design: in that case, six'd be the absolute minimum, but would require an inconveniently large control circuit. Smaller circuits push the mechanism count to 9-10 per bit.
Like the water-based one, this register can not be easily cleared, you'd need to enter eight zeroes and wait for the shifts to go through. Of course, it wouldn't take nearly as much time - ~110 steps for a full shift operation opposed to ~110 for each bit shifted.

Bonus: pathing logic, universal binary gate

Just the paths. This gate takes input from the northwest and the cart leaves the circuit to the northeast. Operation is done through two single-tile retracting bridges, the first would be on the input tile itself. Where the second bridge goes and where the pressure plates for each logic condition belong is left as an exercise for the reader. I'm pretty sure there are no missing conditions or bad paths.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:26:11 am by Larix »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34746 on: June 03, 2014, 06:59:43 am »

I caught a cave dragon. It's gigantic with incredible muscles, so at least I know it has good stats.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34747 on: June 03, 2014, 07:21:37 am »

I caught a cave dragon. It's gigantic with incredible muscles, so at least I know it has good stats.

I'm going to state the obvious: weaponise it. Either that, or keep it in your zoo for the masses to admire. Particularly important dwarves can even go into the exhibit, to see it up close...

Seriously, though, that's wonderful. How'd you catch it? (Oh, and in theory, if your fort can last a thousand years/the worldgen lasted long enough for it to mature fully, it'll be truly humongous)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34748 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26:32 am »

So, I am under siege.  The last time dozen times this happened, I was able to deal with it through the liberal application of crossbow bolts.  This time, the dwarves did SFA.  No bolts as the goblins were drawn closer in to slaughter the pastured animals.

So I sent out my melee dwarves.  There are only a few left, now.  They were badly decimated by the goblins, while the goblins--only a few left now--still won't leave.

There will be repercussions for this.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34749 on: June 03, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »

The founding farmer was killed by a stray ogress out on the surface. the two legendary hammerdwarves stormed out into the teal ooze to deliver righteous justice to the ogress and her ogre buddy. The two hammerdwarves are hella fast. It hasn't even been one year since the fort's founding, but two novice hammerdwarves with "adequate" levels of teaching and doing nothing but sparring has already made them legendary powerhouses.

In other news, my two founding miners are lovers. D'aaaaaw.

Really need to get some migrants. There's only 14 dwarves of working age, and the work is starting to pile up on them.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34750 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:51 pm »

Trying to trap some FBs in cavern 3 for re-purposing, built a simple cave-in trap to cage them.
I'm using a door as a bait, the FBs are separated from the cave-in dust with fortifications, which knocks them onto the cage traps.
In theory this should work, and I should be able to cage them.
In practice they land on the traps, but sit uncaged...anyone has anything to suggest?

Spoiler: Design (click to show/hide)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #34751 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »

A flying fire-spewing frog FB showed up in the first cavern level. The fire wasn't particularly concerning (temperature is turned off; as it is, my FPS is probably closer to 5 than 10 in this fort),

Wait fire doesn't spread with temperature turned off?

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34752 on: June 03, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »

I just captured a necromancer in a cage trap. Along with a half-dozen undead mussels, of all things.

Now to figure out how to use this for defense without causing (more) !!FUN!!.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34753 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:58 pm »

Well, having finished with my test fortress, I've decided that the fortress I'm going to run for the next two months (without internet or time to play, mind you) should get started. Perhaps as soon as DF2014 rolls out.
Before I know it, I've drafted up a 4 page document detailing what specifically I want to design, ideal labour castes, etc. Huh.

The overall goal is to wind up creating my longest-lived fort ever, which would require survival for over 11 years (I got bored). Except I'd like to automate as much of it as possible, keep track of the families within it, over-engineer everything to a ridiculous degree, and keep going until I get those situations you easily miss out on with smaller forts - syndrome plagues, vampires, interesting megabeasts/titans/forgotten beasts, taming the local wildlife and building a population of war animals, managing the bizarre demands of the nobility, etc. Well, sometimes you encounter a few of these, but they're generally brief. I'd like to see them become real problems.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34754 on: June 03, 2014, 08:13:25 pm »

The founding farmer was killed by a stray ogress out on the surface. the two legendary hammerdwarves stormed out into the teal ooze to deliver righteous justice to the ogress and her ogre buddy. The two hammerdwarves are hella fast. It hasn't even been one year since the fort's founding, but two novice hammerdwarves with "adequate" levels of teaching and doing nothing but sparring has already made them legendary powerhouses.

In other news, my two founding miners are lovers. D'aaaaaw.

Really need to get some migrants. There's only 14 dwarves of working age, and the work is starting to pile up on them.
You have two miners and two militiadwarves to embark with? How do you fit in all the crafting and things?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2315 2316 [2317] 2318 2319 ... 3842