Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2314 2315 [2316] 2317 2318 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099641 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34725 on: May 31, 2014, 04:26:32 am »

Kekimasob, "Splatterboards"
11th Moonstone, 34

Found out that one of the kids was dehydrated, AND starving, AND unhappy. That was NOT a good sign. Recentered to him, turns out he was stuck on top of a wall. Armok knows how he got there... jesus.

Getting him off the wall ASAP!

13th Moonstone, 34
The kid was dead before we could get to him. Poor guy. Anyway, time to dig out a graveyard...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:30:45 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34726 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:20 am »

OMG, found Adamantine 35 z-levels below my fortress.  :o :D On the same level is a magma pool as well.
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34727 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:37 am »

OMG, found Adamantine 35 z-levels below my fortress.  :o :D On the same level is a magma pool as well.
The question now is "how many z-levels of adamantine is that?"
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loyalty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34728 on: May 31, 2014, 12:06:13 pm »

Kekimasob, "Splatterboards"
11th Moonstone, 34

Found out that one of the kids was dehydrated, AND starving, AND unhappy. That was NOT a good sign. Recentered to him, turns out he was stuck on top of a wall. Armok knows how he got there... jesus.

The exact same thing just happened in my fortress. My my one armed guard captain got - I don't know how - on top of my wall with no way down. Looks like my favorite dwarf is also my dumbest ...

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34729 on: May 31, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »

A flying fire-spewing frog FB showed up in the first cavern level. The fire wasn't particularly concerning (temperature is turned off; as it is, my FPS is probably closer to 5 than 10 in this fort), so I roused the couple of squads stationed near the cavern levels for monsters. When I came back a few minutes later, I found that the FB had flown up to a little spot near the top of the cavern where some two decades before I had mined out a patch of gems. What attracted the FB was the fact I had used a door to close off the opening instead of a wall, so nobody would wall themselves on the wrong side. Given that the forgotten chamber was not far from a main artery, it was necessary to send somebody to the new location, but the soldiers I rely on for this stuff had been scrambled to another location. They were redeployed, and two other squads were sent in to cover as well.

By the point, the frog monster was happily parked on this ledge, about 3x3 tiles, apparently unable to attack the door (probably some glitch). Although the door was unlocked, the first squad did not go through it, because their position wasn't right (or perhaps they had been tipped off to the monster), and the space didn't allow a proper repositioning. Thus, there were three pickdwarves of the Deer of Paper squad chilling in this little neighboring chamber. Because the second squad was not yet present, I repositioned their designation onto the 3x3 ledge. They started trickling in one by one.

Enter Cerol the legendary speardwarf. The door opens. "Aha, beastie!" They fight for a short time, then Cerol falls off the ledge, down 15-20 z-levels, and explodes.

Enter Ral the legendary speardwarf. The door opens. "Aha, beastie!" They fight for a short time, then Ral falls of the ledge, down 15-20 z-levels, and explodes.

By this point (I catch on quickly), I decide that I might as well send in the blind dwarves if this is going to happen each time. At least they'd get to go down fighting. What are the pickdwarves of the Deer of Paper doing all this time? [howl of dwarf falling 15-20 z-levels to explode] "Ach, that was Cerol." [Ral appears] "Right through there, laddie." [howl of dwarf falling 15-20 z-levels to explode] "Ach, that was Ral." The appearance of the blind squad must have moved them to pity, because now one of them finally follows along and picks the frog to death, but not before one of the blind dwarves is kicked in the upper body, causing upper spine damage. He later expires while being carried by a four-year-old [all of the kids have all medical labors enabled, because they're not doing anything else and for the pun value (all surgery is "minor" surgery)], the cap to what has become a very dark Monty Python sketch.

I'd still kind of like to find an honorable (and FPS-saving) end for the blind dwarves. There are two trolls caged up and ready to go in the arena, so I send the dwarves in. Unfortunately, the arena has glass windows, the trolls have no interest in anything else, and the blind dwarves can stand next to a troll without noticing it. Somebody else has to come down to kill the trolls, and the windows are all removed and replaced with walls. Another forgotten beast shows up, a pterosaur with noxious secretions. The blind dwarves somehow kill it after marksdwarves have peppered it. Some kind of fortune is apparently smiling on these guys.

FlamingTP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34730 on: May 31, 2014, 06:05:04 pm »

These Undead Giant Desert Scorpions aren't getting my dwarves over here. I AM DISAPPOINT!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34731 on: May 31, 2014, 06:40:55 pm »

Well, solely by chance, I embarked on a site with BOTH a giantess and a hydra.
This is awkward.
As long as they stay in their caves I should be fine.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34732 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

Again, can't decide on a site for a fort. Got bored and moved AGAIN, this time to a world with lots of necromancer towers and looked for a spot with a nice, large sloping mountain to call home. Found the perfect spot, a 4x4 embark, river, small bits of aquifer in the mountain but not enough to cause problems, more aquifer in the river area nearby but shouldn't cause issues as long as I avoid it well enough. Prospect shows marble, clay, sand, gold, tetrahedrite, cassiterite, limonite, sphalerite, galena, platinum, emeralds, rock crystal and tons more gems.

Best part? A clown fort buried way down deep in the caverns. Sending a group out to claim this new territory, then I'm going to sleep cuz I gots ta work early.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34733 on: June 01, 2014, 04:00:51 am »

There is no greater hell than only having Galena as your lone source of metal.  Every item in my fort is made of lead. Lead goblets, Lead carts, Lead floors, Lead roofs, Lead bins.

I imagine my dwarves will be the strongest of their kin, but definitely the slowest.

And utterly radiation proof.

Edit:

Not even Lead coffins can save my fortress's citizens from the Vampire scourge. Not only have 3 vampires arrived during the forts short 9 years, but now the Queen has arrived. The Vampire Queen with 723 kills and counting. It could be time for my fortress to have an accident.
It is worse when you have only Tetrahedrite, no source of coal, and too much Flux stone for your brain to comprehend.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34734 on: June 01, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »

So, I usually edit raws seriously, to add some kind of challenge/realism to my games. This time, though, I decided to be a bit silly.

I may have made cave crocodiles and cave dragons (who now have a child tag and lay between 50-75 eggs) mature to adulthood and grow to full size in... a year (among other things). And I may or may not have found three separate cave croc "nests" on the first two cavern layers. Well, technically, I found two. The third one was really just a "room" with fifty-eight soon-to-be-adult crocodiles in it. Did I mention that those first two nests were only partially hauled before they hatched? And that I was silly enough to leave the retrieved eggs lying around in my stockpile the first time? Admittedly, they were pretty easy to kill at first, but by the time my military had woken up (practically all of them tottered off to bed after clearing out the parents), put on their gear, cleaned out the stockpile crocs and gotten down to the caverns, a year had passed. Fun. Not too many casualties, less than 30% of the populace. The second batch was promptly hauled away and dumped into the brand new Poker Room, where a skilled dealer pulled a lever to make the freshly-cut cards come out of the floor. Still, got feel sorry for the hauler who's egg hatched mid-carry. As I was prepared, the cleanup was much easier. By the time we reached the third one, we had enough cave crocodile roasts and soap that we could have fed and cleaned the third batch for the rest of their lives.

There's no need to tell you what happened once we got down to the third layer. Suffice to say, we didn't find anything at first, so we let our guard down. Firstly, the third layer of caverns were sealed off while the last scraps of the original military fought to keep the dragons from scaring the poor civvie, both in the third and second layers. Then, later, the passage to the caverns was sealed off in a similar fashion, with poorly-equipped peasants with sharp sticks fighting them off. Only about ten remained where they could get us. They reached the bedrooms. Finally, the bottom 60% of the fortress was sealed off, with most of the population serving as a giant meatshield for the ten people I considered most likely to prosper (i.e. the people with few or no friends). Well, it became ten. Originally it was twelve. The near-legendary mason I'd planned to take along sealed herself in. Her husband, the Mayor (what can I say, his wife was pregnant, I wanted more beards), by this point, had gone berserk after losing so many friends and, after biting off the arm of one defender and ripping out the throat of another, decided that the best thing to do was grab his artifact bone chair out of his office, run to the adjacent main stairwell (where everyone was fighting) and toss it down the stairs. Ironically, he may have saved the fortress. The chair killed almost forty dwarves, all up. Not directly, though. The dwarves died, and the weight of the chair and their corpses combined was obscene, to the point where it killed all seven of the cave dragons on the stairs - tthinking about it, just one of those would create a massive addition to the mass bearing down on the others. By the time the other three dragons stopped hunting down the five or so runners I'd sent off as distractions and made it to the stairwell, the upper levels were sealed, and the remaining eight or so defenders could die happily. If those dragons hadn't died, they would have mowed down the remaining defenders and killed the mason seconds before she could seal the breach.

The name of the chair? Crowdsilenced the Trouble of Groups.

But yeah, migrants haven't visited this year. On the dwarf front, although they aren't happy, I haven't heard a single gibber. However, some of my survivors have found that special someone to share their bed with... even if that bed is the floor. One's even pregnant! For once, I hope it's a girl (this fort has been mainly female - men have been prized possessions. Now, it's a 2:3 ratio of girls to boys).

I can't believe my luck on the animal situation though. Is there a spore season or something?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34735 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

While i'm not sure what kind of components are really required for dwarven computing, i'm sure a shift register will always be useful. So i went and messed with designs some more. The minecart-driven one can be quite compact, fast and elegant, but the various pathing quirks don't make it easy. But i read that in actual electronics, shift registers are simply built from a chain of data flipflops and fluid logic...

you see, a minimum-functionality D-Flipflop in fluid logic is hilariously simple:

Code: [Select]
#####    #####
~++^#    ~DC^#
#####    #####

D - door operated by Data line
C - door operated by "Clock"
^ - pressure plate calibrated to 5-7 water
~ - infinite water source, preferably pressurised

Putting a pressure plate between two doors with water source behind one of them makes a simple single-output SR flipflop with the same tiny footprint. I didn't invent any of this, but i'm not sure i actually copied it off others' work, it's pretty self-evident when you want simple fluid memory.

Minimum space consumption if built modular - 4x2 tiles per cell (water source and limiting walls must be accounted for, but each can be shared with one other cell)
Build materials - two doors, one pressure plate, three linkages (seven mechanisms in this constellation)
water consumption - significant but limited, since no drain is required. A small river or brook is sufficient.
Outputs a single signal which is either on when set or off when not. Sufficient for a shift register.

Whenever the "clock" door opens, the pressure plate takes on the value of the data input: if the "data" door's open, water sloshes into the cell, covering the pressure plate or keeping it topped off. If the data door is closed when clock opens, water sloshes from the pressure plate to the "clock" door, where it is crushed when the clock signal turns off again, reducing the water load on the pressure plate to 3-4 if it was seven originally, significantly less if the cell was already off before being adressed.

There might be a way to shift with less than the awful ~110 steps per bit delivered by a simple roller-and-floodgate minecart-based controller, but i couldn't be arsed to calibrate a pair of circuits against each other: each door must shut before the next door in the chain opens, so you'd need discontinued refreshed open signals that time out _after_ the new (once again refreshing) open is sent.

Oh, and a rattlesnake got a name by poisoning two babies to death. Once i allowed one of the mothers, she stopped twitching back and forth and bashed half a dozen teeth out of the rattlesnake's mouth with her *horse bone crossbow*.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:54:16 am by Larix »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34736 on: June 02, 2014, 06:02:36 pm »

After years in isolation for his crimes in his specially constructed Sentry tower, 'Vampire' Toothcanyon was pressed into millitary service. Within the year a golblin horde arrived and laid siege to the fort, the drawbridges were raised. Traps and crossbowdwarves are holding back the trolls but an Elite Crossbowgoblin is raveging the marksdwarves on the parapets.
Time for the vampire to Toothcanyon left the fort via the trap lined cooridoos to meet the Elite goblin.
They met on the 3-z high trap walkway, they both ended up dodging off into the pit, other goblins are attacking Toothcanyon but armed with Shield and Steel Mace he is holding his own.
He is surrounded by enemies and has entered a Martial trance.
Of course dwarved stupidity applies to vampires : he just smashed a golbins foot with his mace and kicked the goblin in the head (killing him).
Re-death or glory!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34737 on: June 02, 2014, 06:12:57 pm »

Speaking of vampires, I have an imprisoned vampire on a chain in the main hall. Within reach of the chain is a bed. The bed is assigned to children, peasants, and annoying nobles. When they go to sleep, the vamp drains them in front of everybody. I accuse him and he gets more time. The process repeats.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34738 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »

The goblins wailed on my vampire until he lost his mace and shield and eventually just sort of gave up and ran away - i assume the warband leader wasnt the elite marksdwarf and the general got caught/killed.
There was a small tantrum (no spiral yet).
Going to make sure the vampire gets a steel sword this time and im just going to keep the gates open, getting bored of this safe and sustainable fort :).

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34739 on: June 02, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »

Speaking of vampires, I have an imprisoned vampire on a chain in the main hall. Within reach of the chain is a bed. The bed is assigned to children, peasants, and annoying nobles. When they go to sleep, the vamp drains them in front of everybody. I accuse him and he gets more time. The process repeats.

I will have to remember this technique. Every so often, I get an annoying mayor......
Pages: 1 ... 2314 2315 [2316] 2317 2318 ... 3842