Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2313 2314 [2315] 2316 2317 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099831 times)

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34710 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34711 on: May 29, 2014, 05:06:30 pm »

A dragon came, my first for my current DF gaming year (2014).
Fuck me I read this as Dwarf Fortress 2014.
It's really getting to me now.

Haha. :P

You know, the silence is killing me as well.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34712 on: May 29, 2014, 09:21:54 pm »

An ungodly amount of puppies and several dwarves(including one of the 7 originals) have suffocated to death from what I can only deduce was accidental exposure to the boiling blood of a giant alligator with spiral horns.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34713 on: May 30, 2014, 01:43:17 am »

Turns out my two militia Legendaries who got blinded by Forgotten Beast vapors weren't permanently so. Eight months after the fight I noticed pools of dwarf pus at the main well, and on a hunch checked out their wounds: no more "vision lost"-tag, and both in full health.

I might still keep them in retirement; their replacements are actually doing well with the other having a kill already to his name. Besides, it's always good to have some Fisherdwarves and Herbalists with Legendary combat skills.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34714 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:57 am »

I have managed to put the steel clad and very unhappy vampire hammer lord I had roaming the fortress back in her opulent prison without any deaths. She managed to half drain some poor sucker before he was very rudely awoken by his bed being deconstructed from underneath him. Thus finally ends the rather the rather crazy chain of events set into motion when my new dragon powered defense system failing rather spectacularly a season or two ago.

The fortress has been enjoying a very peaceful year with but a single goblin siege which has given the dwarves of Copper Snarling the time to drain the aqueduct system in order to redesign the buggered waterwheel power generators and get everything properly flowing. Apparently the third time is the charm with this particular mess. Now Copper Snarling has glorious power and with it the grand dining hall is now shrouded in a constant stream of blissful mist.

If the peace holds it will be time to consider delving into the depths of the world in search of that sweetest of all candy. I suppose I should rig up some sort of serious dooms day device while I am at it just in case we find something a little less sweet than candy down there.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34715 on: May 30, 2014, 02:10:26 am »

Well, a goblin siege was defeated by a diplomat and a stray polar bear, so there's that.
Only death was a pack animal.
May is ascend to dorfhalla and reside in Armok's grand pasture.

I would seriously hate to cross that diplomat. Either that or it was the saddest pack of goblins to ever insult Armok with their existence.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:12:40 am by Melting Sky »
« Reply #34716 on: May 30, 2014, 08:16:09 am »

I started building the fortress today.
Here's the dwarf's starting skills:
Dwarf 1: Proficient miner
Dwarf 2 and 3: Competent woodcutter
                       Competent Carpenter
Dwarf 4: Proficient bookkeeper
Dwarf 5: Adequate engraver
              Skilled Mason
Dwarf 6: Competent grower
              Competent brewer
Dwarf 7: various broker skills
List of embark items:
copper pickaxe
2 fungiwood training axes
30 deer hearts
35 yak milk
35 cow milk
50 wine
50 ale
50 rum
50 beer
2 silver bars
19 Plump helmet seeds
38 sweet pod seeds
50 sandstone
2 cats
4 war dogs

First thing I did was move the meeting area as it was dangerous close to an poolful of carp.
dwarfs 2 and 3 started chopping down an path for the dwarf caravan that be coming in 9 months.
The miner started mining to make an fortress  while one of the cats decided to adopt dwarf 7.
The miner Quickly finds an few ores like bloodstone.
The 2 woodcutting dwarfs finished cutting down some trees and start on two carpenter workshops with the miner now mining the bedrooms.
I decide to appoint dwarf 6 an manger until I can find somebody more suited to job. I waste no time ordering the carpenters to make 7 beds and 4 wooden bins.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34717 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:52 am »

I guess my moat system needs to be revised, the single tile along the edge is enough to let things spawn, and the 3 wide moat gives a buffer between bad things (and the caravans) and my dwarves. A river separates the rest of the embark, but I have to restrict things from spawning on the edge of the map still.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34718 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55:47 am »

There is no greater hell than only having Galena as your lone source of metal.  Every item in my fort is made of lead. Lead goblets, Lead carts, Lead floors, Lead roofs, Lead bins.

I imagine my dwarves will be the strongest of their kin, but definitely the slowest.

And utterly radiation proof.

Edit:

Not even Lead coffins can save my fortress's citizens from the Vampire scourge. Not only have 3 vampires arrived during the forts short 9 years, but now the Queen has arrived. The Vampire Queen with 723 kills and counting. It could be time for my fortress to have an accident.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:26:12 am by Thor »
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34719 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:14 pm »

After 3 years, the fortress of Stakudofid, Machinecup, has finally started production of steel, courtesy of our new Blast furnaces. Armour is being made for the military at a relatively fast pace. Question now is how I train them. Anyone have any advice? All I usually do is just let them sit around and spar/train.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34720 on: May 30, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »

Well, I discovered my fort apparently has primarily silver, with some assorted gold and galena.
I embarked over a massive silver mine.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34721 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:11 pm »

Well, I discovered my fort apparently has primarily silver, with some assorted gold and galena.
I embarked over a massive silver mine.
Warhammers and shiny silver trinkets for everyone!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34722 on: May 30, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

1. Equip fort
2. make silver jewelries
3. attract goblinite
4. ????
5. PROFITS
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34723 on: May 30, 2014, 09:36:06 pm »

The dwarves of Copper Snarling are unusual in that they consider no dwarf expendable. The decision to save the two unlucky dwarves that were stranded out in the field when a large goblin siege arrived was a noble but foolish choice that would likely end in a glorious but costly victory. Regardless of the danger, it is better to die a noble death trying to save ones kin than to cower behind the safety of a nigh impenetrable walls while listening to the screams of our dying brothers.

Our military consists of 3 squads of ten, one squad of archers and two squads of melee dwarves. All are clad in the finest steel gear that our legendary smiths have forged over the years. We were outnumbered at least 2 to 1 and thus it was initially believed there would likely be quite serious casualties. Memories of a gory battle that happened out in the open field during the early years of the fortress's history still haunt many who lost loved ones that day.

This day, however, would be different. Where once stood green recruits, now stood grizzled veterans, lords of combat forged through the years of endless goblin attacks. This day we would see why few things in this world are feared more than a squad of legendary dwarven weapon lords decked from head to toe in glorious masterwork steel.

The goblin bowmen were our immediate priority as they were rapidly chasing down one of our stranded dwarven civilians and they were also the closest to the fortress gate.

After batting the initial volley of incoming arrows out of the air, the axe lords were the first to reach the enemy. Immediately the air was filled with the screams and the severed limbs of the enemy. Goblin crossbow men and lashers were torn apart in mere moments. The goblin swordsmen, hammerers, macemen and spearmen quickly joined the fray trying to shore up the shattered first wave but even their weapon lords were no match for the brutally skilled dwarves. It was truly an amazing battle. In the end the only dwarven casualty was a single spear woman who got separated from her squad and who ended up having to take on 5 or 6 goblin spear men by herself. She was knocked unconscious but our most skilled axe lord came to her rescue tearing through them like they were training dummies.

This left the trolls which were trying to chase down the other stranded civilian. They were further away from the center of the action and thus it was their fate to become living pincushions at the hands of our crossbowmen. Those that did not fall to the bolts were finished off by the melee lords after they were done with the goblin main forces. It was an absolute slaughter.

I will never again underestimate the God like killing machines that are dwarven weapon lords. They certainly don't need any help from our fortresses gauntlet of traps any longer. Goblins and trolls might as well be kobolds. I now have a new found respect for dwarven soldiers.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:40:09 pm by Melting Sky »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34724 on: May 30, 2014, 11:02:58 pm »

Just genned a new world. It is called: The Responsible World. Time to bring chaos and disorder!
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2313 2314 [2315] 2316 2317 ... 3842