Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2297 2298 [2299] 2300 2301 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097701 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34470 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:25 am »

http://prntscr.com/3g7wla

(i'm terrible at posting images)

The best way to do it is to use the [ IMG ] and [ /IMG ] tags without spaces, with the actual image URL between them (right-click the image and then click "Copy Image URL". In this case, you get http://i.imgur.com/UTXqBZc.png

For example, [ IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/UTXqBZc.png[ /IMG ] becomes

Yaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34471 on: May 05, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »

Started a new embark and got a Great cook in my first wave of migrants which is awesome. One problem, he had 2 broken legs, a broken arm, was unconscious and bleeding out, but miraculously no nerve damage.  Odds wouldn't be great in a mature fort but in a brand new fort with no cloth, no soap, and no one with any medical training he is no hope of survival :(.  SO i think WTH, I'll have a random future furnace operator see if she can't save him.  So a short while later my new "dabbling surgeon" has drug him to his bedroom and blood spatters cover most of the obsidian walls. Suturing and dressing get canceled due to the lack of thread and cloth and all of his limbs are infected. Seeing as the new doc is the only idle dwarf I temporarily reassign the labors so she will go make the inevitable coffin.

A bit latter I check on the happiness of the dwarfs, while most of them are ecstatic the newest furnace operator is merely happy.  Checking on what was bumming her out: Ate in a legendary dining room recently, Slept in a very good bedroom recently... lost a spouse to tragedy recently. Oops.

Double checking, she does indeed sleep (and sleep well at that) in the bed where she killed her husband and hasn't bothered to clean his blood splatters off the walls... there is something really wrong with these dwarfs.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34472 on: May 05, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »

Had a dwarf randomly kill another dwarf. She was not tantruming, very happy, and decided to kill my miner while he was sleeping. The murder proceeds to tell the capt. of the guard her crime who is also her husband...
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34473 on: May 05, 2014, 07:50:19 pm »

The murderer proceeds to tell the capt. of the guard her crime who is also her husband...
I swear I've heard that one before somewhere.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34474 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now THERE is a religion I can get behind!

The Cakey Creed, a religion worshipping a God of Food!

You better take your damn blasphemous brownies right the hell out of here, son!

:P

Towns called Pissraged and Pissedsquirting (situated in the Superior Swamps) with a local government name of the Slut of Snarls. from a Dark Strangler civ called the Drains of Shading. They had Stranglers named

Pissedsquirting was attacked by a Dorf called Deler Rimsprayed.

BAHAHAHAHA

Roguish Disgust (local gov) of the Truth of Tars (civ)

Are those kobolds trying to tell their leader something?

I sincerely hope that I'm not the only one with a dirty mind about this one. heh.

All but the very first one are from the same world. I HAVE to build a fortress in this world. I NEED to.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:55:01 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34475 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:25 am »

Well, apparently a certain urist (designated lever-puller) decided it would be a better idea to postpone lever pulling for a drink at the food stockpile. The results were... quite FUN!!ny..

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34476 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:03 am »

sometimes, the name generator for these battles trips over itself, really :D :

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34477 on: May 06, 2014, 01:12:15 pm »

They even brought over a troll medic!
Troll medic,seems like that would be more dangerous to the goblins.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34478 on: May 06, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »

Just started a new fortress. Same spot as I started my last one - it'd take way too long to find another site with a partial aquifer, sub-surface volcano caldera, flux and iron.

Played up to the point the first caravan came. Dug out a decent bunker for myself - we're self-sustainable so far. Started flooding the caldera so magma forges can be constructed right off the bat; eventually there'll be a statue garden and memorial hall there, in addition to surface farms. Whatever remains of the caldera surface will be converted into a giant magma resevoir (after I get the pumps running) for a simple magma weapon. I expect this should be finished within the next two years, as I'll likely get distracted. Adamantine has been revealed right off the bat (thank you cave-ins) but I'm resisting the urge to dig it out.

The goal of this fortress is to play continuously until I lose, as opposed to getting bored of it and retiring. I'll be employing techniques to keep my framerate up and stave off boredom. I'll be keeping track of families within the fort extensively, building numerous self-sustaining sub-forts (a surface fort with a strong military focus, your average fort with a focus on production, and a cavern fort focusing on resource allocation/transport). I'll also eventually end up as the only dwarven fortress on the map as there's only around 300 dwarves in the world.

Military currently consists of two drafted miners who I gave proficient armor use and dodging in the embark. They current have the necessary armor, and have reached legendary mining skill. I plan to eventually have all miners in this squad, to be used as a backup in case other squads fail (although it will be the most skilled squad at the start). Another military-related goal; only permitting heavy metal crutches into the hospital to make veterans much more deadly.

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34479 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »

Good luck in your new fortress, may the FUN!! be with you..

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34480 on: May 06, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »

Just genned a new world today. 10,000 year history gen, with max numbers of curses, weather, and secret types, and max numbers of caves and creature pops.

At work atm, so can't really look at legends mode just yet, but did scope out a nice looking flat embark site near a necro tower with brook access, sand, and clay.

There is also a very !!FUN!! area up in the norther polar wastes with close to 8 necro towers in very close proximity, but I dont quite feel like that level of fun just yet.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34481 on: May 06, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »

how big is the 10k year file, just out of curiosity? I have a 1500 year world with 150mb space. How bad is the lag?

Cheers

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34482 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »

I'm not sure if I was cursed when you wished FUN! upon me, but it happened.  :P

I got an infestation problem; giant gray langurs. The wiki says these furry bastards when it says they'll just kill a dwarf, loot its cloths and run away; these ones rushed into my fort, but now seem content to wander around it at random for some reason.
I tried to combat them with the militia, but... things happened. First, one of my milita managed to mine himself into a hole, then when he was activated dropped his pick, and I can't get him to pick it up again to dig him out. The other recruit rushed to engage the foe, entered a fey mood, and turned around, getting instakilled by the closes langur. Over all, 3 dwarves dead in one of the most vulnerable stages of a fortress's life, and I haven't got rid of the damn monkeys yet.

So the caravan arrives, sees the survivors being chased all over the map by these giant monkeys, and its soldiers help out by smashing any langur that comes near the merchants. I don't think we made a good impression - everyone was miserable, corpses were rotting in the hallway leading up to the depot, and our legendary miner was starving/dehydrating to death because nobody could be bothered to rescue him (we later got him free).
So we're saved, but now the tantrum spiral of year 1 begins.

I love this game.

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34483 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »

I know that may be common but for me it was special. Once in a engraving I was reading, a Dwarf made reference to one artifact my fortress made. This may be worth nothing but for me, someone who is only discovering the game, this was very cool to see :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34484 on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:01 pm »

how big is the 10k year file, just out of curiosity? I have a 1500 year world with 150mb space. How bad is the lag?

Cheers

virginal world backup is 66mb in size. Used large region, with slightly altered worldgen parameters for X and Y elevation variance, and max number of subregions.
Lag is difficult to place; laptop is an i5.

will try for picture of the uber fun happy site.

Here we go.
Spoiler: Superfun Happy Site (click to show/hide)

Freezing glacier in range of 6 necromancer towers.
Again, not sure I want to embark there....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:48:42 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 2297 2298 [2299] 2300 2301 ... 3842