Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2210 2211 [2212] 2213 2214 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094867 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33165 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:21 am »

The transcendance chamber is now complete, when the time is right (AKA when the new release is out) I'll connect the lever to the slade support pillar, gather everybody into the chamber (including the vampire), pull it, and fall into the eerie pits so that the dwarves transcend to the new version.

Meanwhile, I think I'll mess with the masterwork mod.

OR, maybe I'll just mess around with the current fort some.

Edit: I made a copy of the current game and abandoned the copy because I haven't seen any forgotten beasts in a couple years, turns out that I had killed em all. The last one died about 5 years ago fort time. There are still some titans around though and there are descendants of worldgen dragons around.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:22:51 pm by smjjames »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33166 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:21 pm »

I mixed up the squads and sent the marksdwarfs into the bottleneck to bravely hold off the horde. Whoops. A marksdwarf died. And a miner (who also happened to be the broker) because i was a bit rusty and forgot that i haven't FORBID EVERY LAST THING SO DAMN LOONIES DON'T TRY TO HAUL THE SOCKS OFF LIVING MASTER LASHERS enabled. I.e. poor dumb beard went into the thick of battle to haul something.

I'd really appreciate it if for a change i got a dwarf to _survive_ an injury.

The soldiers didn't get scratched, as per usual. Hacked their way through ~80 trolls and goblins, including four masters, and the first third of the fight was carried by two of the three melee squads. Well, "squad" means a pair of elite fighters, no more; four melee masters, two of them less than legendary, against ~40 gobbos and trolls: no contest. The two hammerers broke in their ☼silver war hammers☼. One of them immigrated at over 150 years of age and is now 161; started fighting sieges before he made it to expert hammerdwarf and by now has a title, about twenty kills and not a single scratch. He's definitely making the best of what time is left for him. Rock on!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33167 on: February 20, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »

Outpost Shieldfuture, Winter 502; 16 beards

We have 3 married couples, 15 adults, 4 more lineages to create, and 1 very young baby. Erith Sculptpaints is the first native of Shieldfuture! WOO!

... Now I just need to make some marriage-encouraging suites...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33168 on: February 20, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »

A cook has been hitting a berserk wrestler over the head with a sock for several pages now. The wrestler is retaliating with a mitten. oO
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33169 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:13 am »

A cook has been hitting a berserk wrestler over the head with a sock for several pages now. The wrestler is retaliating with a mitten. oO

Dwarven equivalent of a pillow fight. Only with a risk of death.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33170 on: February 21, 2014, 01:19:42 am »

Outpost Shieldfuture, Mid-Winter 502; 16 beards

7 sections for the 7 lineages, containing 42 3x3 rooms each, with the 8th section containing 14 suites for encouraging dwarves to marry. And also the HFDP punched through it, but I just work around that.

The center might get dug out properly, but for the moment it's untouched.

7 lineages

ehehehehehehehehehehe

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Tarzanello

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33171 on: February 21, 2014, 01:24:11 am »

Playing Masterwork, still learning a bit of stuff. Can't figure out how to make Bloosteel or Ironbone, I can't find this "Boneyard" thing anywhere.
Also, it seems a couple of buildings are bugged: I most obviously have the reagents at hand, but it will still show the reaction as red. This issue is present at the Greatforge and at the Researcher's lab mostly. Where the reagents are seems to influence this, but I cannot make any sense of how.
Keep in mind, I am not a smart man.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33172 on: February 21, 2014, 01:55:32 am »

Playing Masterwork, still learning a bit of stuff. Can't figure out how to make Bloosteel or Ironbone, I can't find this "Boneyard" thing anywhere.
Also, it seems a couple of buildings are bugged: I most obviously have the reagents at hand, but it will still show the reaction as red. This issue is present at the Greatforge and at the Researcher's lab mostly. Where the reagents are seems to influence this, but I cannot make any sense of how.

I had a similar issue. might be distance or a wonky reaction. Ironbone and bloodsteel are made at the alchemists. Took me forever to realize that after a half dozen readings of the manual...
« Reply #33173 on: February 21, 2014, 04:01:57 am »

The goblin sieges are becoming increasingly difficult.

This last time they all came riding on giant olms and giant bats and brought a whole group of war dragons with them.

I think it's about time I expanded the outer walls of my fort's entrance so I can have more of a buffer zone to fight off the beasties. Thing's a little cramped and I keep accidentally shooting dwarves into space with my gates.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33174 on: February 21, 2014, 04:25:33 am »

Outpost Shieldfuture, Summer 504; 23 beards

A couple beekeepers migrated in on the second migrant wave, so I decided to invest in an apiary. I set up a single hive, let a beekeeper go out to harvest a colony, and am now also having fun being self-sufficient. I also have 39 hives.

Also, if I didn't know it hasn't been implemented yet, I'd think Logem Abyssrings was gay. There are two perfectly eligible bachelors in her age range and she hasn't fallen in love with anyone yet! ARGH!

Although she is a miner. That might explain it. Not enough time to decide between Zon Craftsdangles and Aban Greatestrope.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33175 on: February 21, 2014, 04:30:16 am »

Fireballs can be aimed at about 15 tiles but will travel further once fired. FBs will move for certain when they have a path to your whole fort.

Thanks! That should help with planning firebreaks/walls to minimise the risk of setting the entire embark on fire. No river so no easy way to flood in an emergency.

Getting the FB to the surface was pretty simple, just took a while to set everything up. Turns out though that it can't throw fire through a fortification :( Sooo... I'll have to lure it back to the tunnel, remove the walls, and replace them with a channeled moat.

The only hard part will be to resist using it on the elven caravan due later in the season..
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33176 on: February 21, 2014, 04:31:31 am »

One of my best clothiers has just died of dehydration in jail.

Screw this. I'm appointing a hammerer. It's going to end up with less casualties.

My chosen solution was to make an uber-huge dining room (41x41 or more), create 2 long stockpiles (31x5) for food and booze respectively, separated by one empty row of tiles, and put jail ropes between them.

Putting stockpiles in jail cells was immensely frustrating to me, because the idiots kept going there to eat & drink, despite the jail being built far from any points of interest, and being further away than the food piles in the dining hall! Goddamned stupid...

More on-topic, I started a pure vanilla fort last week, for old times' sake. Lost 2 dwarves to a were-armadillo, and 5 to the first gobbo ambush. Nothing else that's interesting happened, but it's only our second spring.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33177 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:37 am »

Installed an 34 level drop chute for the purpose of insta gibbing unwanted visitors.
Surprisingly effective, what however caught my interest was that i had dropped a
larche roach(tame) into it as well which came with Elves, and it survived.
The interesting part is that since then all the refuse down there vanishes quite quickly.
Might be an interesting idea for people with FPS issues.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33178 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:30 am »

Installed an 34 level drop chute for the purpose of insta gibbing unwanted visitors.
Surprisingly effective, what however caught my interest was that i had dropped a
larche roach(tame) into it as well which came with Elves, and it survived.
The interesting part is that since then all the refuse down there vanishes quite quickly.
Might be an interesting idea for people with FPS issues.

Oooo. Do armored visitors splat properly?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33179 on: February 21, 2014, 07:13:24 am »

They all splat, then again i usually take their gear to shove it into the next caravan.
Unless i missed someone out. noone survived so far still. Goblins, Undead, Trolls, Orges, Cats and Dogs, name them,
they'll splat apart in all directions *muoahaha*
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:20:19 am by Astrid »
Pages: 1 ... 2210 2211 [2212] 2213 2214 ... 3842