Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2208 2209 [2210] 2211 2212 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094592 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33135 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:12 pm »

A minotaur child has arrived!

. . . poor thing.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33136 on: February 17, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »

Got a flame FB in a one-tile corridor running along the edge of the map. The marksdwarves get set on fire by the fireballs, and the melee dwarves (who have been ordered to drop anything not made of metal) won't go anywhere it. Perhaps it was stood there so long that it heated up the immediate area enough to break the pathing? It doesn't move even though there's a path to the fortress, and I can't build or place anything between it and the dead-end of the corridor.

It can be dealt with by first sending the melee squad in to block the fire attacks, and after that sending the marksdwarves in behind the melee dwarves. Arming the melee dwarves with crossbows would also work, but putting their personal weapons back on them would be a pain.

I've always had this problem with blob of fire FBs, something with the pathing I guess. Although, I had a flying quadruped made of fire which pathed around just fine, though the pathing was sort of crazy.

I have no idea whether it's because they immediately set fire to their surroundings, which screws up pathing or what. Maybe floor over several tiles from the edge to see how that affects pathing?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33137 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:07 am »

Got a flame FB in a one-tile corridor running along the edge of the map. The marksdwarves get set on fire by the fireballs, and the melee dwarves (who have been ordered to drop anything not made of metal) won't go anywhere it. Perhaps it was stood there so long that it heated up the immediate area enough to break the pathing? It doesn't move even though there's a path to the fortress, and I can't build or place anything between it and the dead-end of the corridor.

It can be dealt with by first sending the melee squad in to block the fire attacks, and after that sending the marksdwarves in behind the melee dwarves. Arming the melee dwarves with crossbows would also work, but putting their personal weapons back on them would be a pain.

I've always had this problem with blob of fire FBs, something with the pathing I guess. Although, I had a flying quadruped made of fire which pathed around just fine, though the pathing was sort of crazy.

I have no idea whether it's because they immediately set fire to their surroundings, which screws up pathing or what. Maybe floor over several tiles from the edge to see how that affects pathing?

It may just be because the flame FBs are simply extrmely hot and long gone are the days of dwarves who will intentionally go through such areas (barring ridiculously hot biomes of course,) and even with the temperature disabled they consider the area around the FB to be "dangerous terrain" because it's composed of fire. Had a soldier just stand two tiles from one made of fire and absolutely refuse to go any closer, while the FB refused to do anything but continually fail at throwing fireballs at him, as there was nothing to catch fire on or around him.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #33138 on: February 18, 2014, 03:27:06 am »

A random dwarf is also in the hospital after taking an arrow to the leg due to poor burrow layout. Very exciting stuff.

Must... Resist... Skyrim... Joke...
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.
« Reply #33139 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:24 am »

I got an announcement that someone went missing for over a week. I thought he fell in the stream and drowned or something, but I couldn't find his body anywhere. So I checked how he died with DFhack. I guess he was standing on a bridge when I closed the gates and got rocketed outside of the embark zone. Oops. XD

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33140 on: February 18, 2014, 11:46:15 am »

Decided to give up on haunted embarks after losing another fortress to a single undead horse (and subsequent mass-zombification).
Its just plain... stupid.
Takes away so much from the game, its not worth it.

Id really like to have massive dangerous wildlife, huge invasions, tons of titans, anything to give me a hard time, but reanimating biomes are just no fun at all.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33141 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »

One of my best clothiers has just died of dehydration in jail.

Screw this. I'm appointing a hammerer. It's going to end up with less casualties.

I avoid this problem by creating the following for jail cells. I dig a 5x5 room to hold 4 prisoners. The room is as follows

M = Meals stockpile
D = Drinks stockpile
B = Bed
C = Chair or Throne
T = Table
W = Well
V = Chain

MBCBM
MVTVM
DDWDD
MVTVM
MBCBM

So each prisoner has access to a chair and table (shared with one other prisoner), a well (shared with three other prisoners), a bed, 2 stockpile tiles with prepared meals, 2 stockpile tiles with brewed drinks (shared with one other prisoner). The food and drink stockpiles are linked to take from the main food and drink stockpiles.

I arrange for the prisoners to have exclusive access to a bed (just in case their "cellmate" happens to be a vampire). That way the potential vampire doesn't have the ability to drink the prisoner since the vampire won't be able to reach the prisoner. The chair and table are shared to help conserve space. I have the drink stockpile shared because even if there's no drink available, the prisoner still has access to the well. And the two tiles of meals stockpile are exclusive since the dwarf doesn't have an alternative supply. But since the stockpiles are linked and take from the main stockpiles, they do tend to have a fairly high priority in being stocked (seems to be much higher than then give food and drink to prisoners task).
So my prisoners tend to survive quite well in prison and they don't tend to get too many excessive bad thoughts. After all, they can sleep on a bed, eat meals at a table while sitting on a chair and have nice meals and drinks. And if worse comes to worse, they have unlimited access to water so they don't dehydrate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:03:21 pm by jcochran »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33142 on: February 18, 2014, 01:49:45 pm »

First time I've seen a dwarf become attached to anything other than their weapon or shield. All of the armor that I have that isn't a shield or buckler and is named is a regular artifact.

Anyways, I dug out the candy earlier in the year and already started making wafers, also, I started the proccess of becoming a barony and I chose a 13 year old kid for baron, and yes it was carefully chosen for lack of item preferences. I thought I would become barony instantly, but I guess I'll get the certificate or something next year.

Edit: Oh it happens when the liason leaves the map.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:58:59 pm by smjjames »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33143 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:23 pm »

Welp, looks like the goblins won't send any more yummy cave dragons. The last siege was spearheaded by Rine Nemathefife, the Gila Monster Brute/Master, who promptly got run over by a minecart. The ☼nickel silver minecart☼ got another ~25 kills and is just below 200 now, but didn't score the demon. One of the cave dragons made it all the way to the fifth of the six minecarts. Good show! It didn't help, though. Ten tons of minecart vs. three tons of cave dragon are a _very_ one-sided fight. Some joker in the siege thought it was a good idea to demolish the hatch cover over the trench where the tripwire-operated lead minecarts are launched. Didn't achieve anything but capture five hammergobbos in such a stupid position that there was no reasonable way to get them to run away, so it was up to the marksdwarf pair, a deconstruction job and the sword- and axemasters to deal with the problem. I still have a handful of goblin and about twenty war beast captives. So annoying. I can't put animals into prison, now can i?

Interestingly, at 11 275 kg, Rine N. was slightly heavier than the minecart that slew her/him (10 113, ☼lead☼ with five boulders of native gold).

In other news, my architect training scheme is coming along nicely: Lòr Zanegesis is still listed as Stonecrafter (stupid boring childhood mood), but she's up to High Master Building designer, at fifteen years of age.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33144 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:00 pm »

I did have temperature off (turned it off to increase FPS for some testing, forgot to put it back on. Invaders too -- I wondered why it had been so quiet...). D'oh!

Dwarves were still getting set on fire, though I didn't keep the game going long enough to check if it still made them bleed out. Next time a flame FB turns up I'll have to check it out. Or I could just resurrect one of the ones I killed already; there are a couple of flame 'corpses' lying in those corridors.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33145 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:02 am »

My Baron has a naked goblin axe lord attached to a silver chain in his office. He is going to display all captured army leaders in such a manner. The civ tab shows them as having a general, war leader and law giver. I can only hope at least one shows up and gets caged.

An unremarkable dwarf just made an artifact scepter. I hoped for more useful artifacts. I have 13 now. A door, a ring, a crown, a toy axe, a figurine, a shield an earring, a millstone, a bed, two unusable picks and two scepters. The door, bed and especially shield are pretty neat, but a weapon would be really nice...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:27:58 am by Echostatic »

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33146 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:49 am »

You know its a good season when the Human merchants are going mad in the field while your dwarfs are tossing all the bodies and parts in the river while bringing in all the metal stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlsv481z6hq104n/Screenshot%202014-02-18%2022.22.59.png
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #33147 on: February 19, 2014, 01:40:57 am »

A miscellaneous hunter just got webbed by a GCS but managed to shoot it through the head just before it sank its fangs into his throat. New title — Spider Slayer: Marksdwarf squad captain.

In other news, both axe squad captains now have named masterwork steel axes: Echosprayed and Narrownights. Each also wears an artifact vest, one sheep wool and one GCS silk.

EDIT: oh dear, Omur the Spiteful Insanity, a transparent eyeless monitor lizard with deadly dust, has just arrived. We shall see how this goes...

EDIT 2: Ah, the dust insta-blinds. One the one hand, that's horrible. On the other — FUNCTIONAL SIEGE OPERATORS. Or possibly less dangerous husks (i.e. ones that don't give chase). I must capture it! ...Hm, now to get a GCS. Perhaps said marksdwarf can help with that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:02:02 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33148 on: February 19, 2014, 02:08:08 am »

Functional siege operators? You lucky devil. Best of luck capturing it!
« Reply #33149 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:17 am »

I am making my fort/castle fancy as fuck right now. Limestone walls, marble floors and ceilings, mica buildings/bridges/floodgates... I am using so much marble, I just noticed my quarry has almost completely mined out an entire z-level of an 8x8 embark zone.
Pages: 1 ... 2208 2209 [2210] 2211 2212 ... 3842