Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094848 times)

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33120 on: February 16, 2014, 10:56:11 pm »

My dwarves are breeding like rabbits... Up to 263 dwarves now, 52 babies and 48 children. I have over 1.2 million wealth, and am finally starting to attract goblin kidnappers. We are at pace with the goblin civ, but hopefully that will change if I kill enough of these guys.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33121 on: February 16, 2014, 11:08:50 pm »

that miserable dwarf had a tantrum. knocked one of my masons, who was directing a goblin pikemaster, in the face and freed the goblin pikemaster. almost immediately, that pikemaster blocked a copper bolt from the tantruming dwarf and walked onto to a cage trap. I have no words to describe what just transpired.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33122 on: February 16, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

Must be safer in the cage

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33123 on: February 17, 2014, 02:33:45 am »

A Draltha ripped off a hunter's right foot and left arm. She's doing okay now, and is in surprisingly good spirits. The Goblins finally launched their first small siege, they were easily defeated with cage traps and hammer/pike dwarves. The next batch of goblins to come will find a couple blind cave ogres at the bottom of their pit.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33124 on: February 17, 2014, 04:42:40 am »

One of the migrants from the second wave was badly mauled by a black bear - arms and legs torn open, body smashed, and even a "fractured" eye. He was partly stitched back together by his wife the CMD before getting back up to go about his hauling & crossbow practice, massive scars all over his body.

They had a son shortly afterwards who drowned in a minor mining flood aged a couple of weeks. The parents were still ecstatic about their newborn so the reality didn't hit home for a month or two.

Uzol (the mauled hauler) has been getting slower and slower and often just unhappily sits in the one spot, failing to get enough energy to make it to archery practice. He is constantly "too injured" to put his socks away. The only task he has any enthusiasm for is drinking. To add insult to injury, he took off his trousers for some reason and can't get to another pair, and he finds it quite embarrassing.

He's now in one of the statue gardens, sitting next to his son's memorial slab. The coffin I have built for him is alongside. It's like he knows he's not going to make it and he's still trying to do the hauling job.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33125 on: February 17, 2014, 05:13:59 am »

Sounds like they were in denial about it for a while. "Oh, little Urist is just off fetching a sock!" "Well, you never come around when he's here." "Oh, he'll be back any time now..."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33126 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:07 am »

a peasant showed up in fort today. right in front of the cave spiders. it did not survive.

on a lighter note, most of my dwarves have gotten over the death of their beloved friend the woodworker. there's still a guy in traction that has no wounds. I'm reluctant to remove him since his happiness is steadily increasing.

I think traction benches can be used as happiness boosters. place a waterfall there and a few golden statues and dwarves will slowly turn ecstatic.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33127 on: February 17, 2014, 01:19:55 pm »

@fortydayweekend: "Too injured" to store an item suggests the dwarf has lost the ability to grasp, probably by damage to hands/arms. It doesn't need to be a fully missing limb, "motor nerve damage" means that limb and all its 'filial' limbs are completely unusable forever, i.e. "motor nerve damage right upper arm" means the entire right arm is useless and the hand can no longer be used for grasping. If such a dwarf removes a piece of clothing, they can never replace it, because putting on clothes requires a grasp, while removing it doesn't.

@PDF uristmaster: Dwarfs seem to get good thoughts just from being rescued and cared for. Horribly mangled dwarfs regularly are quite happy with their lot because they're "able to rest and recuperate" and receive water and food. If a dwarf in traction has no indicated "needs traction" or "in traction" wounds any longer, the healthcare jobs hicced up and failed to release them. It's not too easy to tell apart without looking thoroughly through the dwarf's own health screen, an early release from traction just re-breaks the limb and the traction treatment has to start over again.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33128 on: February 17, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »

Just starting a new embark:  Frozen Ocean Tundra, Volcano & Aquifer.

I like the site because the cliff face beside the volcano is nearly vertical 30Z+ that I want to try some Terra-forming into some kind of Magma-Weeping-Tiki face or something I haven't decided.

But why I'm here is because I noticed something strange with the Aquifer. There is enough stone fortunately that I don't have to deal with it unless I want to, plenty of room to go around, but I keep running into damp stone, above and below the Ocean level. So I fired up DFHack to count, and found I have Aquifer layers across 39Z levels
Code: [Select]
144Z - Mountian Peak
129Z - First Aquifer layer
 99Z - Ground Level
 90Z - Last Aquifer layer
Super happy that it isn't all soil layers. I'll just have to be careful with my layouts.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33129 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:53 pm »

So, a dwarf got possessed and made a coffin.
Spoiler: Pic (click to show/hide)
What confuses me is that the dwarf is mutilating the goblin, but his own corpse shows up in the list of mutilated bodies...
Maybe a kidnapped kid got killed in a battle and the game confused the races a bit?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:10:28 pm by Crazy Cow »

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33130 on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »

Legless, tailles, earless, eyeless, brain-broken, brain-dented cat thrall leftover when I reclaimed ambushed my skilled & competent axedwarves.

Axedwarves all died of dehydration trying to kill it.

Mutilated cat thrall-1 Dwarven Military-0

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33131 on: February 17, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »

One of my best clothiers has just died of dehydration in jail.

Screw this. I'm appointing a hammerer. It's going to end up with less casualties.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33132 on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »

Got a flame FB in a one-tile corridor running along the edge of the map. The marksdwarves get set on fire by the fireballs, and the melee dwarves (who have been ordered to drop anything not made of metal) won't go anywhere it. Perhaps it was stood there so long that it heated up the immediate area enough to break the pathing? It doesn't move even though there's a path to the fortress, and I can't build or place anything between it and the dead-end of the corridor.

It can be dealt with by first sending the melee squad in to block the fire attacks, and after that sending the marksdwarves in behind the melee dwarves. Arming the melee dwarves with crossbows would also work, but putting their personal weapons back on them would be a pain.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33133 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:48 pm »

where creatures made of fire die they create a fire explosion. getting melee fighters in there may be a bad idea.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33134 on: February 17, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »

I finally got my first real goblin siege, 56 units composed of bowmen, spearmen, lashers and ogres, all led by a goblin axe lord. My military consists of one squad of 10 iron-clad dwarves, wielding iron shields, save for the captain of the guard. He wields an artifact dingo bone shield. Half have silver war hammers, half have iron spears. They are decent enough, but I had serious doubts about them being able to take on this siege by themselves. The entrance cage traps did a good job of thinning them out. I caught two ogres, 11 bowmen (one elite), 3 lashers, 13 spearmen and the axe lord.

With their numbers halved, they hesitated to continue despite almost reaching the end of my cage traps. The remaining ogres eventually got frustrated and charged, opening a path through the cage traps. That's when a dwarf began furiously pulling a lever up and down, over and over, triggering the iron spikes hidden in the floor to shoot up again and again. The ogres had their feet and legs broken, only to fall over and get perforated. Several more goblins lost their lives to the spikes, until several bowmen and lashers remained, along with a couple spearmen. I read some bad things about whips slicing through even steel armor like butter, but I figured this was as good as it was going to get. The squad readied themselves, and charged.

The battle was brutal. I was deeply concerned after one dwarf was quickly slaughtered by enemy whips, but the rest of the squad caught up and smashed the melee troops into green goo, blocking every arrow headed their way. When it was all over, two goblin bowmen and two goblin spearmen were all that remained, running in terror. The squad had lost a man, and another was injured and unconscious, but they had won. One goblin spearmen was injured, and trying to drag himself away. The squad caught up to him and, letting out all their anger over their fallen comrade, proceeded to smash and stab this goblin for 3 pages. The captain of the guard bit off his toe. They refused to simply put him down, grimly stabbing and smashing until he bled to death. Finally, their first real battle over, they returned to the fort.

The injured soldier has a broken right upper arm, right shoulder, right upper leg, left false ribs, and left upper leg. But, he just may survive. A random dwarf is also in the hospital after taking an arrow to the leg due to poor burrow layout. Very exciting stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 3842