Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2205 2206 [2207] 2208 2209 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095335 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33090 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »

It's CAN_SPEAK, not CAN_TALK, that's probably what's messing it up.  For the future, for a speaking, learning creature, you just need to use INTELLIGENT - it combines both those tags in one form. :)  As it is, your "goblins" can't actually talk since that's not the correct tag, so they can't make friendships and thus get voted for or eat or drink. XD

Moar raw changes, embarking again.  This world has a huge inland sea shaped like some sort of three-toed footprint.  It looks pretty cool, I might call it Dragon Claw Sea or something.  Seaside volcanoes are always so disappointing - they're never actually seaside. ):
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:43:44 pm by Clover Magic »

Blazinganvil1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33091 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:31 am »

My 3 year old fort is drowning in goblinite! After the first 4 ambushes I killed the goblin lawgiver-maceman, and now experience either one or two sieges a year, and always just before or as a caravan arrives. The last siege brought (no joke) 80 goblins and 8 trolls, after my previous record of 1 season prior, 48 goblins and 5 trolls. Only two goblin lashers escaped my wrath. I somehow beat it with 4 marks dwarves and 10 high level warriors, with only one casualty: my sole Macelord, who was both a Legendary +5 macedwarf and Legendary +5 fighter. Saddened.
FPS is starting to fall. Maybe I send the worn out clothes and excess goblinite with the elves? Also, with population of 200, my plot to vampirize the fort failed utterly. Waited for months, and the stupid vampire/mayor refused to stand on the trapped burrow. Eventually gave up and terminated him in a cave in.
A blood-soaked figure rose from the ashes…
And His name was Armok.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33092 on: February 14, 2014, 10:36:11 am »

It's CAN_SPEAK, not CAN_TALK, that's probably what's messing it up.

Oh, that's what i get when i just enter stuff by hand instead of copy-pasting. I guess i'd better go and add [UNDERSTANDS_SYNONYMS] to the parser's raws; that's in creature_bug_slug_new.txt, right? ;)

I somehow beat [a large siege] with 4 marks dwarves and 10 high level warriors, with only one casualty: my sole Macelord, who was both a Legendary +5 macedwarf and Legendary +5 fighter. Saddened.

Ten elite warriors are quite enough to handle most sieges if they don't get dogpiled. The vast majority of goblins will be ordinary grunts with novice to competent weapon and next to no defensive skills, only partially armoured and equipped with no-quality items. Gear quality and skill trump numbers to a ridiculous degree in combat.

BTW legendary +5 isn't a particularly important skill level, it's a largely arbitrary cut-off in skill display on some third-party programs; the speed loss cut-offs for ambushing and crutch-walking are at this level and performance in civilian skills will not meaningfully improve on different levels of legendary+x, but it's not a limit. Actual skill will go on practically forever, and with military skills, those extra levels actually make a difference. High-level fighters are usually something like legendary +40, and yours might have been as well. And yes, a legendary +40 will demolish a legendary +10; you just can't easily tell them apart with dwarf therapist (i think) and other programs that cap display at legendary +5. But of course, even the most legendaries of legendaries can be taken down by lucky hits or when surrounded and wrestled to the ground.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33093 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:33 am »

The Enduring Fortress of Silentthunders has had a crisis recently. Upon combat with a forgotten beast that had risen from the Quarry an unknown time ago, the crystal hollow syndrome was discovered. A crystal quadruped attacked a child, luckily the child escaped as a flock of war eagles and war boars gave up their lives to valiantly to allow the child to escape. Numerous off duty marksdwarves let loose volley after volley of steel bolts towards the crystal death engine, and two squads of three legendary soldiers descended upon the beast with spear and axe. The skill of the soldiers were great, the crystal beast slain. First the boars fell, then the first dwarven cases started appearing.
A child collapsed in his own room, and puzzled doctors searched for the problem. Down in the forges a Dwarf collapses showing severe necrosis in spite of having no history of wounds, Dwarf after Dwarf covered in blood and severe necrosis being dragged into the hospital. Multiple legendary warlords, children and workers were checked in from all over the Fort. One multidisciplinary metalsmith died. Even after the skilled medics excised the rotten flesh, they were dismayed to find that the crystal hollow syndrome had also somehow fractured every bone in their bodies, making their bones brittle and splintered.
To add to the tragedy, one of the starting seven was affected. Numerous legendary marksdwarves will no longer have use of their eyes.
The Fortress unrelenting stands.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33094 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »

It's CAN_SPEAK, not CAN_TALK, that's probably what's messing it up.

Oh, that's what i get when i just enter stuff by hand instead of copy-pasting. I guess i'd better go and add [UNDERSTANDS_SYNONYMS] to the parser's raws; that's in creature_bug_slug_new.txt, right? ;)

Heh heh, or you might want to add it to the BRAIN in the body_default, can't work without the brain understanding it, right? XD  (Also, the wiki has all tokens defined, so looking up the creature token page for example can be a big help for minor modding like that.)

In fort news, I'm testing a new modular bedroom design based off my old one, with improvements.
Spoiler: Bedrooms! (click to show/hide)

Each prong holds 10 beards, so one full section surrounding a meeting hall area will hold 40.  I can build staircases in the middle of the meeting areas like the center one to reduce pathing length if necessary (if the bedroom section gets too large), but it shouldn't be that hard since this section alone will hold 150 beards.  Each room has enough space for a bed, coffer, cabinet, and door.  (It also looks like circuitboards, which is cool)

The squares in the middle will hold noble quarters in the future, only accessible from below.

Utterpicks is off to a good start - and this time, I didn't embark on evil, so no spontaneous glitchy syndrome death!  Huzzah.  Also it seems almost every new snake I added is in this region (except the green mambas) so we should be able to catch and raise snakes and make sure they're all working, yay.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33095 on: February 14, 2014, 04:40:07 pm »

My GCS went beyond its borders and sprayed webs all over my weapon traps. an unfortunate Mace lord got caught and lost her foot.

We can rebuild her. we have the technology. by giving her a platinum crutch, we can make her faster and deadlier than before.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33096 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

First Zombie Wars officially started at Hammerbulb (vanilla)

1st zombie wave: 150+ zombies
Defenders:  3 veteran steel knights(full steel), 5 conscript(wood shield, steel sword), and 10 unskilled ranger in a tower at the gates.

2 veterans dead, 3 conscripts dead

The last defender at the gate (an unbearded dwarf!!!) killed 40+ zombies himself while his superior lord fell to the pitiful blows of some elven zombies... The conscript which were assigned their first training session outside had barely learned to use their sword, but two heros remain Ushrir and Cerol respectively 14 and 13 years old. They held the first attackers at bay while the command squad was at the inn getting fat.

Some undeads tried to enter the fortress, but the magnificient spiked silver balls denied that our guard dogs get defiled.

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33097 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:48 pm »

So my fortress, situated in a very hostile icy mountain, finally reached a population of 21 after two years... In celebration, I placed a cage at the entrance of my fortress, and put a dog in it with the hopes of continuing this tradition every year.

Then The Shade, a creature of the night, came. A couple poor plant gatherers and my only two master wrestlers were murdered. An emergency state was declare and I locked down most of surviving dwarves (12) down in the underground part of the fortress.

Then I noticed that in my haste, my expedition leader and a visiting dwarf outpost liasion were stuck behind the erected wall blocking the entrance to the fortress. I was worried they would be killed soon but the shade was busy murdering every single animal I had.

After a while the bastard, with the ability to disappear and reappear at will, was out of sight again. The food supply was low, very low, my expedition leader with the only pick in sight was in a reachable position for the Shade and it didn't look as if the Shade could leave anything soon. Could things get any worse?

Yup. Migrants apparently saw this as being the best time to travel to my apparently touristic and valuable fortress made of glorious Ice and the shade, predictably, killed every bloody single one of them, even taking on four dwarves at a time and taking care of them all. Change of tactics, I set a new burrow next to the expedition leader (still trapped outside the actual fortress but in the entrance tunnel) and assigned every migrant to it in the hopes that some of the them will make it there.... I expected at least ten or so dwarves, not three.

All of the other thirty-four migrants were brutally butchered. The now-legendary shade has disappeared as soon as it was thorough with its job and disappeared, leaving a total of 50 deaths (including animal deaths) in its wake.

It still is around and is killing anything that even sees the light of day. Every time it looks safe to wander outside, the shade appears and murders a dwarf that I didn't even know was alive. (Like the miner that was trapped at the south-most part of the map because he dug too deep).

!! FUN !! indeed, now the darned shade needs to die... with something. Out of curosity, do shades ever wander off?

PS: Only one mod installed and it's "Fear The Night 1.4.1".
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33098 on: February 15, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »

injured mace lord has 4 infections now. I'm really doubting her ability to recover. I've started digging a cistern under my hospital in an attempt to provide easy access to water. It's winter now. once the murky pool thaws out, I will have fresh water to drink. I'm hoping for a rainy year so my cistern can fill up faster.

The cage traps are almost complete. just a few more and I should be done.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33099 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »

Been working on sealing off hell and some seasons ago when some tick demons with deadly dust took out a chunk of my military, I decided to retreat and let the bad thoughts cool off (nobody was tantrumming though) and let some of the good thoughts flow back in.

Meanwhile, I did some cleaning up around the fort and a bit of stockpile resorting, letting a siege to through my dodge-me grinder and then saving the dwarven caravan from a siege which was right freaking behind them. Some caravan guards died while my troops were en route, but the caravan was saved. Also churned out lots of lavish meals to improve morale.

Now it's winter and I'm just sort of waiting for spring to get any old age deaths out of the way and I'm waiting for a demon type to be there which isn't web spitting (though I haven't fought those yet) or the tick demons. The winged demons do have poison gas, but either that doesn't do anything or they get shot down before anybody gets exposed.

I'm really dreading the final bit of map edge. The eerie pits actually cover most of the map edge, so it's been easier to do it section by section, but yeah, there's that last strip of land and the demons which are going to try to spawn there. At least ill have my whole military assembled at that spot.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33100 on: February 15, 2014, 11:31:50 pm »

Now all you have to do is start growing crops down there.

My dwarven cavalry is working. A bunch of spearmen jump on minecarts at the top of a hill, rollers activate and send them flying down the hill towards the goblins, and comedy ensues.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33101 on: February 16, 2014, 02:22:22 am »

My fortress of well over 100+ dwarves is humming along. Most dwarves do nothing since they suck at everything.

We had a noteworthy event recently. I had a Cyclops show up. The alarm was sounded and everyone went running for the safety of the fort. I wanted to lure it inside and capture it in a cage, because who wouldn't want a pet Cyclops to throw prisoners to? Unfortunately, the Cyclops had other plans...

One of my hunters was so focused on hunting her prey, that she did not notice the danger. While she was firing on some animal, the Cyclops approaches from behind, grabs her baby, and starts grabbing limbs and snapping bones. It then punches this poor baby right in the head with enough force to send it flying off of her mother's back. Well, now momma's pissed. She wheels around and pincushions this Cyclops with a flurry of bone bolts. It is quickly overwhelmed, and succumbs to it's wounds. Unfortunately, that punch to the head tore apart the baby's upper spinal nervous tissue, and it suffocated shortly after the death of the Cyclops.

Turns out, the hunter is married to the mayor. He is currently "holding a meeting" with his wife, I imagine to console each other. Fortunately, they have 10 other children...

One of my dwarves made a cool lignite figurine called "Sadgleam". It's of a goblin killing a human in "The Searing Siege" less than 10 years ago. It's encrusted in gems and menaces with spikes of lignite and tiger bone. It has images of the first dwarf to die in the fortress, (failed mood due to lack of glass, melancholy) the founding of the fortress, and amazingly, an image of the artifact that the image is on... I get a headache just trying to imagine how he managed to do that. I also have a spiked dingo bone shield with an image of Sadgleam on it. The captain of the guard used it to kill a kobold, I imagine once the kobold saw the infinitely repeating image on the shield, he had a mental meltdown and was easy pickings. We still can't convince the captain to clean the blood off the shield... He says it gives it "character".

Everyone goes running when an evil dust cloud blows in, they don't want to break out in bleeding blisters head to toe, being temporarily blinded and running a fever, but that's about as exciting as things get around here. I was wondering why the goblins never sent an ambush or siege, or even a kidnapper... Turns out we are at peace with them. The only civs at war are the humans and goblins. The gobs haven't sent a caravan though... I'm bummed, I'l have to start some trouble with the elves, they haven't brought anything interesting other than a giant dingo anyway.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:28:14 am by Echostatic »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33102 on: February 16, 2014, 03:33:22 am »

I was wondering why the goblins never sent an ambush or siege, or even a kidnapper... Turns out we are at peace with them. The only civs at war are the humans and goblins. The gobs haven't sent a caravan though... I'm bummed, I'l have to start some trouble with the elves, they haven't brought anything interesting other than a giant dingo anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, the living incarnation of what is one of many of the DF community's mottos:
"Things getting boring? Murder some elves!"
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33103 on: February 16, 2014, 05:29:46 am »

Or you can just kill everything. With magma. Or minecarts. Or both.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33104 on: February 16, 2014, 05:45:05 am »

Whiskybreakfast survived its first zombie siege, masons managing to throw up the last of the courtyard walls while the fledging military repeatedly killed a zombie kobold and its various body parts. The expedition leader has 20 zombie kobold kills.

I picked the embark because it had a tower (first time for me), 38K gold, and 10K LY diamonds, plus no iron. After embarking I also see it has a 9K adamantium spire all the way up to level 92, and magma up to 88... so I can build the main fort reasonably shallow.

Figured out a rough way to force variety in cooking, using 1x1 taking stockpiles, but it's a bit of a pain not being able to use barrels and there's a fair bit of cancellation spam as the cooks are faster than the haulers. Nice to have vaguely realistic stews and roasts though (currently meat, veg or fruit, wine & optional tallow). Next up might try some realistic biscuit ingredients (e.g. no spleen) and some sweet stuff (fruit/syrup/wine stews etc).
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 2205 2206 [2207] 2208 2209 ... 3842