Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2194 2195 [2196] 2197 2198 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096450 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32925 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43:52 am »

May the Walkedcopper-Quakeflaxed family line be a mighty and long lasting one!

Grats on the founders' marriage and the kids!  I think I'm going to borrow the "founder" title for my next fort.  Is your fort matrilineal or patrilineal? 

A little of both. It depends on the length of the names. While most are patrilineal, some like the Goldlancers and Confusedyes are matrilineal because the names were shorter. We actually just had a third birth, a new little girl to the Honorshovle family! I also found out watermancers may accidentally destroy their own clothes when using thier ice blast attack.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32926 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:50 am »

Relicshield, pop. 188, Late Spring of 358 (Year 107)

The Mountainhome is now dabbling in silver and copper crafts.  Though less valuable than gold and platinum goods, the ore goblinite is a renewable resource.  Plus, it gives the workers of the Deep Forge something to occupy their time when they're not producing steel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also found out watermancers may accidentally destroy their own clothes when using their ice blast attack.

Sounds like an anime power-up/transformation sequence :o.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32927 on: February 05, 2014, 01:05:15 am »

I also found out watermancers may accidentally destroy their own clothes when using their ice blast attack.

Sounds like an anime power-up/transformation sequence :o.

Only in an anime it isn't a short alcoholic going through withdrawal throwing their bed against a wall and screaming at everyone to bring him pants.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32928 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:51 am »

Heheh.  Btw, how damaging are those water mage attacks?  Any 1-shot kills?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32929 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:39 am »

Really just depends. Sometimes an ice spike will cave in a skull or shatter a leg bone or it'll only bruise or cause superficial skin tears. The ice blast is too short range for me to know yet.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32930 on: February 05, 2014, 01:42:33 am »

Sometimes an ice spike will cave in a skull or shatter a leg bone or it'll only bruise or cause superficial skin tears.

Oooooh, sounds cool!  Post a combat log the next time one of your mages defends Armoredstalkers :D.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32931 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:57 am »

I've found a small spire of adamantine but it's mostly under magma. I'm slowly working out how best to get at it by dropping water from above, but it's slow going and pretty dangerous, lost 2 miners so far.

I'm not looking for advice on how to do this better as I'm enjoying the experimentation, but I could do with some advice on how best to use my very limited adamantine. Swords? Axes? Mail shirt and leggings or breastplates and helms? What's the best value for money? The military is currently mostly in iron, slowly being replaced with steel.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32932 on: February 05, 2014, 05:13:46 am »

Ok, after the previous three or four devastated fortresses, I have come up with a plan to make this one... work. Aiming for 10+ years.
1) Enable invaders to keep military a priority.
2) Disable Mega Spawn entirely, whilst keeping the regular ones intact. (Good old [IMMOBILE] and [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:1])
3) Keep elves friendly.
4) Use predesigned entrance with fortifications for ballistae, ect.
5) Approach caverns cautiously, but control them ASAP. The Skythes are merely a bonus.
6) DON'T RELEASE THE FUCKING DEMONS.

Fortress Name: Oblivionguard (modded oblivion to be selectable for front compound)

Starting Seven (no fancy names this time):
  • Kel Helmednatures
  • Godem Coppersplatters
  • Rovod Lashtests
  • Tholtig Whipdunes
  • Ushat Worshipmachines
  • Itur Anvilfinder
  • Doren Beastwinds

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32933 on: February 05, 2014, 05:48:22 am »

I just did an epic thing accidentally.

So, I decided to embark in a terrifying biome. Yes, good beginning there. You see, it's my first time, so I was all like "please, be gentle". Hah. As if.
Upon arrival, the only baddie I see is a Giant Mosquito Corpse. Giant mosquitoes are pretty lame, so I'm not very bothered. I start digging a hall to dump my stuff in. The mosquito zombie starts bothering my idlers, so I send my axedwarf to show him what for.

The axedwarf is slain with a single push to the head.

He wakes up, and hangs around with the mosquito for a few minutes, while I'm basically twiddling my thumbs and being a noob. Then the pair of them goes and absolutely mauls the shit out of a hippo, which is also zombified. Then the three of them go and slay the rest of the stupid fuckhead dwarves.

Thus ended the first embark.

Naturally, I was thrilled by this development. I reclaim, and start digging real quick, and set everybody to drag our shit inside and wall ourselves off.

Too late!

The corpses of the previous group somehow cross the river which bisects the map, and start chasing my dwarves around. I sense I have to do something, and order the miner to wall herself off inside the corridor she has dug.
None too soon. The others are slaughtered in seconds.

So now I'm doing a hermit challenge! I'll gather plants in the caverns, fish, and generally be a badass little survivalist mofo. This is great.

Spoiler: The mofo in question (click to show/hide)
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32934 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:22 am »

A new recruit that's quick to tire apparently collapsed during training and has suffered a severe blood loss.... Seriously? no blood around though, or a reported hit to the head...LOL

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32935 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:25 am »

A new recruit that's quick to tire apparently collapsed during training and has suffered a severe blood loss.... Seriously? no blood around though, or a reported hit to the head...LOL

Vam. Pire.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32936 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:52 am »

So now I'm doing a hermit challenge! I'll gather plants in the caverns, fish, and generally be a badass little survivalist mofo. This is great.
Spoiler: The mofo in question (click to show/hide)

You'll regret choosing that option as soon as migrants start showing up. Playing a hermit game of any kind isn't nearly so much fun when there's one dwarf and a thousand corpses. (FPS issues.)

All the same, you should have fun before FPS death hits.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32937 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:07 am »

You'll regret choosing that option as soon as migrants start showing up. Playing a hermit game of any kind isn't nearly so much fun when there's one dwarf and a thousand corpses. (FPS issues.)

All the same, you should have fun before FPS death hits.

Sounds like a job for the OMG. :)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32938 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

So, a new wave of migrants arrived. Now there's one among them who's listed as a friendly, a trader. He's not part of the fort but he's sparring with my squads in training....I can't control him in any way and he's indeed described as a random person not from the fort...weird, eh?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32939 on: February 05, 2014, 11:39:37 am »

:o Lielac got bored of Laborfords! TEH NOEZ! Now it's time for...

Outpost Watchrazor: 1st Granite 201; 7 beards, 0 dead

Seven dwarves have been sent from the civilization of The Last Whips to delve a new mountainhome in the midst of a lush woodland. The Coal of Vessels' task is to create a--

Ah, I piss on this writing it like I'm telling a story, I have too much of a headache to write that well.

Pop cap set to 0, child cap to 100:1000, going to dig myself into this lovely sand and the DFHack-reported clay and various stones and build myself a beardling-grown-only fort.

Tetrahedrite vastly outstrips all other ores but whatever, it's not like I'll need military-grade metal. (Knock on wood.)

Also, I specifically genned for lots of megabeasts so I can get my grubby little paws on some DRAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS

Nicknames are REPLACE_ALL and I'll be doing matrilineal descent of surnames. :D

Edit: I forgot to make sure caverns were at least 11 z's below the surface. ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ah screwit I'll adapt.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:54:17 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2194 2195 [2196] 2197 2198 ... 3842