Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2193 2194 [2195] 2196 2197 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096138 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32910 on: February 04, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »

Masterwork mod sounds awesome, should try it sometime.

Anyway, I was goofing off with something and dwarves on fast speed briefly when the FB that I thought was on a different level, started causing interruptions, sent my military at it, forgot that it was a firebreather, and a bit of fun ensued with the loss of four military dwarves.

The FPS is really bogging down, so I'm going to transfer over to the new comp soon, or something. Though maybe I should try killing off a whole lot of dwarves to see what happens FPS wise.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32911 on: February 04, 2014, 06:21:38 pm »

A hill titan came. It attacked the migrants that came about a week after it, spat at them, and then tried to charge at a peasant. It RAN INTO A WALL, AND KILLED ITSELF.

Just.... wow.
Wow.

what was it made of, smoke?
Nah, the combat reports said it ran into it face first and cracked his head open. :/ Go figure.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32912 on: February 04, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »

I loaded it up on my new computer and the FPS is double, actually, more than double, up from 20s, high teens, to 40-42. Awesomeness! :D

*grumble* Why didn't the DT settings keep through the transfer?? The main custom professions that I use are ingame, so that's ok.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:09:53 pm by smjjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32913 on: February 04, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »

Armoredstalkers, Malachite to Timber-Early Moonstone

Migrants arrived not long after the group had decided who would do what. Several dwarves appeared to have exceptional skill in their chosen professions, with a disowned Woodworker named Fel Boltedpost being a talented lumberjack, carpenter, and bowmaker. Another arrival was Zamnuth Goldlancer, wife of Ib Goldlancer. A member of the farmer's guild and a dwarf looking for more martial pursuits as she had dabbling skills with armor, shield, and axe, she was a legend among cattledwarves everywhere, being able to milk a dozen tuskoxen at speeds greater than many! As The Joyous Steel had several dewbeetles and brought extra tusk oxen he skills will undoubtedly be of great use here.

The group also realized that should orc, machine, or 'bold come in force, a means to feed the tusk oxen that don't go charging into the fray is a must, as well as a source of fish. After all, fish is important for a dwarf's brain, just as beer and bread is!

But, inattentiveness (that is to say, I left the game running in the back while Watching Archer like a moron,) food ran low, brew ran out, and trade was unable to be carried out, leaving the dwarves sober and hungry. If they survived the winter it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32914 on: February 04, 2014, 08:46:39 pm »

But, inattentiveness (that is to say, I left the game running in the back while Watching Archer like a moron,) food ran low, brew ran out, and trade was unable to be carried out, leaving the dwarves sober and hungry. If they survived the winter it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

Oh, I've been there.  Funny how there are interruptions every few minutes when I'm at the screen, but as soon as I decide to leave DF running in the background, the interruptions disappear and food and booze drain away.  Good luck!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32915 on: February 04, 2014, 09:13:19 pm »

having 7500 meat and 4000 drinks, my concern is my dwarves getting fat and lazy, just like me in real life.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32916 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:50 pm »

Armoredstalkers, Winter

Ib Goldlancer, as the only one with even the vaguest idea of how to operate an aquaculturist operation, was called upon to provide for the other 18 dwarves. An error in what could be stored where resulted in a dozen meals going to waste sitting in the kitchen, and the tusk oxen could only provide so much milk in one sitting. Everyone's spirits were on a downward slope, with 11 dwarves already below content due to having to sleep on rocks, grass, mud, or other uncomfortable places and a lack of tables and chairs to eat what little food was available at. Zoden tried to force rationing of what little there was to eat, but she was called a tyrant and even threatened with violence, so she told them if they wanted to starve then that was their business.

To make matters worse, a group of gnolls, foul creatures intent on stealing anything not bolted down, tried to make off with one of the spare wood splitting axes. This was the last straw for Colonel Kugik, who vowed to not chop trees again and grabbed the recent migrant Thelbil Shipwires, who was one of the only three dwarves with any military training and told her to grab the third spare axe. Kugik himself took the other two with full intent on killing the gnolls before they became a problem. As far as he was concerned it may not have been a sword but they'd chop well enough. And sure enough, after chasing one of those mean-spirited wretches down he was able to cleave it in half, though it did take the use of both hand axes to do it.

It took them many hours of hunting, chasing, grappling, and chopping to finally kill the whole lot, and once it was over, Kugik looked to his fellow dwarves and asked if they had any compunctions over stripping the flesh from these thieving wretches. None did, and all were happy to have fresh red meat. Ib also breathed a sigh of relief; while he knew how to run a fish pond and had gotten one running a week after his arrival, it was only now able to produce anything besides brackish water and he'd barely been able to pull farmed oysters free of their spots to keep the food stock barely breaking even. The gnolls, in spite of their intent to steal their tools, had turned out to be a windfall. Likewise, Kugik and Thelbil were lauded by the others as heroes for saving them all from a slow horrible death by starvation while Zoden was left ignored by many, and would remain so for some time to be sure.

It really was a good thing they brought those spare axes and that the gnolls tried to steal them. If they hadn't I'm sure that The story of The Joyous Steel would have ended by mid-spring in madness and starvation, as they all had considered the beetles, now their only source of alcohol, and the tusks as a source of cheese, as too valuable to slaughter.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32917 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »

It really was a good thing they brought those spare axes and that the gnolls tried to steal them. If they hadn't I'm sure that The story of The Joyous Steel would have ended by mid-spring in madness and starvation, as they all had considered the beetles, now their only source of alcohol, and the tusks as a source of cheese, as too valuable to slaughter.

I'm not a fan of gnolls, but dang, that's pretty gruesome.  As sentients, did you have to mod them for dwarves to consider them food?  Still, better than having to chow on other dwarves like a DF version of Alive.  Regardless, I'm glad Armoredstalkers survived the winter!

Relicshield, pop. 188, Early Spring of 358 (Year 107)

Better records are now being kept for when citizens pass away.  The news of death is now flagged for immediate perusal, whereas before, it was usually buried under a heap of non-essential correspondence ([CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A] was changed to [CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:UCR_A:BOX:P:R] in announcement.txt so that citizen deaths cause the game to pause).

Catten Workmyth and Unib Flagblaze passed away just a few yards from each other.  Both were well-known in the fortress.  Catten worked for decades in law enforcement alongside the late Captain of the Guard, Urdim Channeltree, while Unib Flagblaze, who officially started the Centennial Games, was the fortress's best miner.  Both died peacefully of old age, with Unib falling in the middle of brewing booze, a truly fitting way for a dwarf to pass on to the afterlife.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:35:20 pm by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32918 on: February 04, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »

I'm not a fan of gnolls, but dang, that's pretty gruesome.  As sentients, did you have to mod them for dwarves to consider them food?  Still, better than having to chow on other dwarves like a DF version of Alive.  Regardless, I'm glad Armoredstalkers survived the winter!

Masterwork has an optional standardized materials system that renders everything butcherable. This is due in part to a recently implemented system of using extra butcher object stuff to produce souls for use in religious buildings (primarily by warlocks and orcs if memory serves.) Besides, gnolls look like some kind of bear for their graphics so they're fair game.

I'm glad they have enough to survive as well. Blind luck really. Up to that point all our visitors had been birds or snakes too small to produce more than a skull and maybe a bit of skin.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32919 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:32 pm »

The caravan from the Mountainhome brought a («+pig tail fiber right mitten+»), for which they're asking the ridiculous price of 5377☼, that has an image of a historical event I've never seen before.

On the item is a finely-designed image of Vabôk Spreadpillars the dwarf and dwarves in yellow zircon. The dwarves are refusing Vabôk Spreadpillars. Vabôk Spreadpillars is making a submissive gesture. The artwork relates to the end of the membership of the dwarf Vabôk Spreadpillars in The Tongs of Eviscerating in the early spring of 252.

Most of the horrific atrocities these little creeps get up to are either ignored by dwarf society or provoke a hammerin'. What in Armok's name would a dwarf have to do to get thrown out?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32920 on: February 04, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »

The caravan from the Mountainhome brought a («+pig tail fiber right mitten+»), for which they're asking the ridiculous price of 5377☼, that has an image of a historical event I've never seen before.

On the item is a finely-designed image of Vabôk Spreadpillars the dwarf and dwarves in yellow zircon. The dwarves are refusing Vabôk Spreadpillars. Vabôk Spreadpillars is making a submissive gesture. The artwork relates to the end of the membership of the dwarf Vabôk Spreadpillars in The Tongs of Eviscerating in the early spring of 252.

Most of the horrific atrocities these little creeps get up to are either ignored by dwarf society or provoke a hammerin'. What in Armok's name would a dwarf have to do to get thrown out?

Former Outpost Liason? Though if it was a former position, it would usually say so. Or maybe a dwarf that went berserk?

Anyhow, I spotted a Tiercel (male) peregrine falcon and thought that the elves had it and in the proccess of trying to search their trade for the falcon, I accidentially seized the cages of animals I had selected. I checked the units list again and it's actually a wild falcon, should definetly get a rookery set up.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32921 on: February 05, 2014, 12:10:36 am »

Armoredstalkers, Late Winter to Late Spring, end of 1st and into 2nd Year. Population: 46

The general mood stabilized at around "Fine." With spring came the chance to plant rat weed and whip vine, and the sawmill was finally up and running, processing the farmed trees. While water was all that could be drunk for the foreseeable future, two dwarves gave the trend of generally sour moods a swift kick to the groin, Founders Doshat Walkedcopper and Kumil Quakeflaxed!

May the Walkedcopper-Quakeflaxed family line be a mighty and long lasting one! Since there was still much work to be done and nowhere to hold a reception, they decided against any celebrations. It could wait for better times. Speaking of better times, many were overjoyed when the first beds started coming off the carpentry tables! The Hoarywires, Shipwired, and of course the newlyweds got dibs, but more were being assembled, so all would have a good place to sleep and a roof over their heads at last. It was of course decided and beardlings and married couples would get preferential treatment.

However it was also found Thelbil and Datan, our physician, hate eachother's guts. Hopefully if Thelbil gets injured Datan won't leaver her high and dry.

Migrants arrived by some deranged miracle about three weeks later, welcome arrivals to an undermanned fortress, among them a Watermancer! Quite a handy start to a force a mages! Along with this new group comes the daughter of the Honoredshovels, who arrived last autumn, and a Legion Recruit, who was promptly enlisted into the Colonel's squad.

The Watermancer then proceeded to go hunting herons, using his ice spike attack in place of a crossbow. Quite the handy thing! And no only that, or legendary Milker Zamnuth gave birth to a bubbly little boy the week after the migrants arrived, marking Tath Goldlancer the first dwarf born in the skeleton of a fortress! Assog Shipwired, the only dwarf with any appraisal skill in the place, gave birth to a little girl named Litast not long after and it's hoped these two will tight the knot when they grow up! Even in the face of last winter's food shortage, fish supplies begin to pick up thanks to the migrants as well! Drink still remains an issue though, with what little whip vine that was originally meant for bread being brewed slowly and the little whip wine that is produced is quickly sucked down by over-eager drinkers who continue to ignore Zoden's protests for rationing.

Clearly this is all a good omen for Armoredstalkers none the less!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32922 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:35 am »

Syrupfondled is a den of surprise and mystery, and rather enjoyable at present.

The evil Creeping Zombie Camel (whose name shall not be mentioned) was valiantly slain by The Snarling Armours, along with the dozen or so Dark Stranglers that were all hugging the humpless, legless, noseless undead camel. Fully 90% of the 134 dead were slain by that zombie.

Of the six moods so far, the first five were all not possession, and even though the artifacts were so-so (two rings, an amulet, a wooden armour stand and a pig iron sword) I've got two legendary stonecrafters, two legendary engravers and one legendary weaponsmith. The sixth mood was a possession, but I got an iron serrated disc out of that, so I'm happy.

And first siege now we are camel-free, one cage trap was unforbidden, and one of my legendary engravers (Zuglar) went out, and managed to take an arrow and fall into the trap she was carrying. It took a lot to finally rig up a level and release her, but finally she's in the hospital (along with ALL my cloth), hovering between life and death. It's traumatic....

Also, the elven traders that brought on the siege decided to decamp just as I'd finished recovering all the body parts, so we killed them. Interesting to see where that leads.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32923 on: February 05, 2014, 12:30:07 am »

I breached the underworld and the circus had a clear unobstructed path to my fort. Instead of coming up to battle, they all came up and all dove into the magma sea through an exploratory channel I had dug to map it out. Once I realize they were all in the magma, I sent a mason to floor over the channel sealing them in the magma sea forever.  I am now constructing a staircase down through the adamantine shaft and digging out all of the precious. Soon will setup a colony in hell.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32924 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:23 am »

May the Walkedcopper-Quakeflaxed family line be a mighty and long lasting one!

Grats on the founders' marriage and the kids!  I think I'm going to borrow the "founder" title for my next fort.  Is your fort matrilineal or patrilineal?  On a side note, I'm also thinking of distinguishing between male and female names when the new version is released.  Something like adding vowels to end of the current names.

Shorast / Shoraste
Edem / Edemi
Goden / Godena

Of course, that'll still leave some unisex names, like Ezumi, but I'm fine with that. 

Syrupfondled is a den of surprise and mystery, and rather enjoyable at present.

Hah!  Great opening line.  What subtype of evil surroundings are you in?
Pages: 1 ... 2193 2194 [2195] 2196 2197 ... 3842