Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2145 2146 [2147] 2148 2149 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096557 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32190 on: January 10, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »

Royal succession doesn't work in this version.

Wait, so you're saying that you could kill the royal family and your civilization would be leaderless? All future embarks would not be able to become mountainhome?

You can mountainhome, you just lose your baron or whatever.  The king can still be enticed to arrive.

Except that there is no king/queen because nobody replaced them. This will change next version though.

Erm, um, oh, right.  Yeah, sorry, I apparently scanned that too quickly and cookie cuttered my response to the typical question.  Whoops.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32191 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:23 pm »

My river froze, which removes about 6 sponge zombies, 2 longnose gar zombies, and a gator zombie.
Couldn't seize stuff from dwarf merchants, so I ordered decon of the depot (the good kind of decon).
Next up is a switch room for the 7 access corridors. Needs to be done before the Spring kobolds arrive and grape my doorways...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32192 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:16 pm »

Two more sieges, one goblins with trolls, another human siege. The goblin siege was in fact the reason for the second human siege - part of the bowgoblin squad spawned in the caravan entry, making handling them a bit tricky (of course, there's another waving bridge installed in the tunnel, this was not actually a security breach), specifically because the human diplomat had appeared at the same time and got his business finished in record time and then tried leaving through the atomsmasher tunnel. This did not work so well. The humans were expectedly unhappy and sent another siege, but fortunately, having dwarfs mill around in "aboveground" tiles encourages them to charge the entry. I still didn't get them flattened before the dwarf caravan was due, so missed the caravan again.

Last year's dwarf caravan showed up, but i learnt that chaining up captured human lashers in the entry corridor is not a good idea - the ensuing guard rush at the lashers spooked the water buffalos pulling the first wagon, the wagon broke and the caravan routed.

One fortress citizen died during the last year - a migrant who was stuck in limbo for a whole month by "friendly" traders blocking the spawn point. They only budged when the kobold ambush showed up and murdered them, and of course the poor milker was caught in the mess - about a dozen armed and shielded kobolds against five civilians too dumb to even properly run away...

The fort currently counts about 490 dead in eight years, 120 of which _weren't_ invaders.

Edit re: above - you can easily gain tradeable goods without making them by looking at the inventory of the merchants and guards and claiming and dumping their clothes/weapons/armour. Just reclaim the dumped items and move them to the depot and you have about 2000☼ worth of stuff which the traders will happily buy back.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:06:30 pm by Larix »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32193 on: January 10, 2014, 09:11:57 pm »

Huh, turns out my goblin king was a mass murderer before being crowned, sort of.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All those dwarf kills afterwards, I guess he declared war against all other dwarven civs.

Since he's a vampire, those dwarf kills are probably just dwarves he fed on.

Vampires can go through a great many people.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32194 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »

you can easily gain tradeable goods without making them by looking at the inventory of the merchants and guards and claiming and dumping their clothes/weapons/armour. Just reclaim the dumped items and move them to the depot and you have about 2000☼ worth of stuff which the traders will happily buy back.

Wow. Didn't know that "pickpocketting" was an available strategy. Thanks.

SpazzyCat

• Escaped Lunatic
  • That guy who can't figure out Fortress mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #32195 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

Just bumbling along with my 12 dorfs, trying to figure out some stuff because it's my first fort that's got off the ground, when suddenly, migrants! Turning to my trusty Dwarf Therapist, I order it to load the dwarves in the hopes of finding a couple extra with hammerdorf or marksdorf.

I got 39. That's too many for me. I haven't even found copper yet, let alone iron. The only thing that's standing between my fort and a siege is a few stone fall traps, a war dog, a drawbridge, and a novice marksdorf who wastes his silver bolts on training instead of the bone ones.

Seems like Armok wants me to go back to Adventure mode.   :-\

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32196 on: January 11, 2014, 10:06:54 am »

The humans were apparently still unhappy about their crushed diplomat, so i got another siege instead of a new attempt to patch things over. This time, there were four squads, but since apparently keeping some dwarfs aboveground, even with a solid ceiling and no path, entices humans to eventually pathfind inside, two squads got themselves crushed by mid-autumn and the siege was lifted. I wonder what's going to prevent me from getting a dwarf caravan this year. 580ish dead units, and the smith training scheme has paid off - i now have one each legendary in weaponsmithing, blacksmithing and metalcrafting, all through moods. No armoursmithing, which would be pointless without a military. The quest to turn all that jabberer and roc tallow into soap is progressing nicely - about 150 bars already produced, another 150 to go. With the constant sieges, i'm leaving surface trees well alone, so the bottleneck is wood supply. FPS is slowly breaking down, 25 with bridge trap active, a bit over 30 without.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32197 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:48 am »

My isolated island fort just got an outpost liaison, and I have no clue how he got here...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32198 on: January 11, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32199 on: January 11, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »

Goblin Ambush ran right into the traps I'd laid. Hoorah.

Also:

Please help me stop this absurd stream of spam.

EDIT: Okay, the mother managed to rest up enough and fixed it herself. Phew.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:32:36 pm by DreamCarver »
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32200 on: January 11, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »

Goblin Ambush ran right into the traps I'd laid. Hoorah.

Also:

Please help me stop this absurd stream of spam.

Kill her. And/or the baby. No, really. If she doesn't have hands/arms, which it looks like she doesn't, she can't pick up the baby and both will starve to death.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32201 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »

Just had a FB with a particularily horiffic syndrome. It was a winged chameleon composed of coral with deadly dust. Since the tunnel to the second layer was open and no time to close it off, I shut the bridge to the third layer (where the FB spawned) to make it take the long way around while I gathered the military in the main corridor that leads to it to confront the thing.

The battle was pretty quick, but the syndrome was FAST, no sooner than the beast was dead did the syndrome kick in with full body rot (are there ever FB syndromes that only rot a certain body part or limb? haven't really seen those) and very soon after they arrived in the hospital, the second part of the syndrome, and the one that makes it rather horiffic kicked in. They started having heavy bleeding (I wasn't able to check where) which killed them in seconds. I imagined them suddenly bleeding heavily from every orfice or something.

Lost 17 military dwarves, all of the lasherdwarf squad, 8 of the axedwarf squad, and one of the marksdwarves.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32202 on: January 11, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »

Upon realizing the true value of prepared meals, I've begun digging out more farmland and building extra kitchens. I plan to grow, process, cook, and sell all my own food. I can see Helmedspattered's future, and it is one of wealth.

Back in the present, however, there have been multiple deaths of random tradesdwarves by goblin ambushes. Luckily they all had no family or friends. I need to set up the perimeter wall and station guard cats at the holes to alert me to any invaders. Once that is complete, I'll set up a trap path through the map which can be opened and closed to the outside via drawbridge.

Also, a goblin which I had captured and planned to train my dwarves with still had his shield in the arena, and broke two dwarves' skulls with it. I need to train my military better. Danger rooms are under construction, and a coinstar has been set up, but I'm not sure if it works...
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32203 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »

Another Autumn season. Another dead liason. Another successful trade caravan. You know, this isn't so bad, because then the migrants don't zerg my surface. Helps keep the Zombie Ratio low. No humans yet.
The only downside is that the dwarf caravan only brought 1-page worth of stuff, probably because I ganked them last year. Still, everything they brought was useful e.g. gypsum, gold nuggets, silver nuggets, menacing spikes, lumber etc ... So I happily traded them some mugs, roasts, and totems.

Totems. Yes, the pasture is sealed tightly in the first cavern. Yes, the livestock population is under control. Butchering in Evil Biomes is feasible when you have very skilled fighters, good armor, good food and board, and livestock to actually butcher. Note: No coinstar/dangeroom/supershaft. My 2dwarf militia is ExpertAxe/MasterFighter/AdequateDodger after 6 months of straight training.
But good god now I have tons of food, because I modded the livestock raws to avoid the microdwarf bug in the livestock. I didn't fix dwarves, well, I only fixed infant size to child size so I've got 2 SmallDwarves but at least they're not MicroDwarves. Also, my only blue peahen is self-fertilizing for some reason. Profit.

I have an aquifer breach on each side of the river, so that dwarves don't have to take the long way around. Contemplating a third aquifer breach to eventually lead directly from caverns to soil for better farming.  I somehow missed the second cavern and found nethercaps. No beasts yet, so I'm tempted to mason-rush the third cavern and build out a suitable farming area. Need to find magma to begin MeltedPants and MagmaDrop.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32204 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:04 pm »

I had the exact opposite with respect to liaison vs. caravan, which served me fine: all contacts with the dwarven civ had failed for four years straight, three times because of sieges, once because the liaison spawned into the middle of a kobold ambush and the caravan got scared of chained prisoners and ran away.

This year, the liaison got in alive, finally raised us to duchy and got a new population account - i had reduced pop cap to 100, and that still didn't help - the last visit had apparently been before we even reached 100, and we'd been at 210 by now. So i lowered the cap all the way to ten, to finally get rid of the ultra-annoying trader fake migrants who just keep clogging spawn points and get themselves killed in the most stupid fashion possible. This time, the finally got moving when the caravan entered the map, which wasn't such a great choice, because by then i'd activated the bridge trap and the morons went right in.

And what really, really annoyed me was that this apparently counted against the loss-of-life rule for caravans, i.e. they promptly refused to trade. Good thing i had no magma available, i'd have torched them without a second thought.

Oh right, some goblins with trolls showed up, got themselves crushed, end of story. And there was another kobold ambush in winter, nothing some bridges couldn't handle. I've dug a tunnel network that might _hopefully_ help to get diplomats inside alive and made a small aquifer trench for a water power plant giving 1000 energy. I'm using two areas where the aquifer is at different z-levels, using the natural flow from the higher infinite source to the lower infinite drain. Works without a hitch and feels a bit less cheaty than zero-point or perpetual-motion-via-pump generators.

No fortress deaths this year apart from a watchdog (gotta improve the tunnel design, ambushes will apparently path straight to reachable creatures over paths into the fort), dead invaders are a bit over 500 now. Imported wealth keeps dropping ever since i stopped migration, and i reduced it even more by melting down the weapons and armour of the two sieges that required use of the spike corridor. 80k imported, a bit over 300k exported wealth, with a bit over 9M nominal fort wealth after nine years.
Pages: 1 ... 2145 2146 [2147] 2148 2149 ... 3842