Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096567 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32160 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »

I rather enjoyed my rain forest embarks.  Trees, I miss you!

I long to embrace you with my legendary lumberdwarves!  To caress you into a furnce, to stir you into soap!

Edit:  umm, yr 2.8.  Started carving my minetracks.  Goblins sensed this, and sieged right after a connection to the surface was made but before the completion of the link to close the bidge.

A hasty wall of fortifications, through which I imagine my two miners begging to be let in. nope.

Also, randomly placed weapon traps topside took care of  a squad of *walking* blizzardmen.  handy.  eventually Ill construct a wall up there.  but honestly there is a female roc tge masons love depicting out the somewheres.  and eagle, and hoping for a female giant snake to wander into my cage traps.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:01:48 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32161 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »

The second summer of Helmedspattered, and an elf archer ambush appears within 16 blocks of my entrance. Too much focus on internal design made me forget to set up an emergency bridge. Managed to set up some walls before they pathed into the fort and destroyed everything. They then proceeded to take potshots at my animals until they ran out of arrows and left. Miraculously, my breeding pair of yaks is unharmed.

Need to focus on armor/weapon production in this next year.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32162 on: January 08, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »

Galleywheels was just an attempt to see if i can get the basic cave-in aquifer pierce working. Yeah, it's not that difficult, but i usually just avoid map-spanning aquifers. I also played it with instant lockdown, as a training exercise for future embarks with evil components, which included a minimum-exposure trading path.

Trading path observation: wagons need two tiles width to spawn, a ramp leaning directly against the edge doesn't work as spawning location. While re-organising the entrance, i had to open surface paths, resulting in one kobold and one goblin thief getting inside and taking potshots at the dwarfs that spotted them, resulting in a cut hand and a pierced brain.

Late in the second year a first goblin ambush showed up (i guess cranking out native gold mechanisms on repeat helped), but by that time, the fully automatic smash trap was online:

Two pressure plates, one creature-activated, the other by lack of water on the plate (painted a pond zone over it when it needs priming). Whenever a plate goes active, smashing happens.

In fact, when a plate is activated, the bridges start raising and crashing down and won't stop before the reset is ordered: both plates serve as trigger for a minecart latch, and the minecart latch activates a bridge repeater. This thing is fully automatic and _should_ be capable of catching kobolds. By the end of year three, it has smashed fifty hostile units. The bridges open and close to the side, so as not to disrupt pathing while active.

The biggest benefit is of course that it creates no goblinite and thus no hauling orgies.

PS: a forgotten beast showed up in the first year but came up as "deceased" by now. I ordered a slab engraved and it "died after colliding with an obstacle". I wonder how that happened - perhaps it threw itself in the air with noxious emissions recoil and was too brittle to take the collision with the walls?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:46:54 pm by Larix »

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32163 on: January 08, 2014, 04:05:52 pm »

I almost feel bad about the massive number of trees I'm using for charcoal.

Almost.

Iron production is going smoothly. The caravan brought in very little flux stone compared to how much ore I have, so steel will have to wait. The use of the iron has been to fight off mere troglodytes and Giant Keas, although the latter was a formidable (annoying) opponent.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32164 on: January 08, 2014, 04:26:51 pm »

So.  Found an odd blue pillar in 3rd cavern.  Tge magma sea is also., a pillar, 160 dwarves.

Topside, a necromancer found tge weapin traps, and killed a cyclops.  A new siege came, and is set to attack the dead above.  heh.  I think Ill scrap the minecart project and tower, and build myself a self destruct button.  Frames already hit. and tge bodypartsf 200 morebodies wont help.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:28:48 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32165 on: January 08, 2014, 05:24:12 pm »

Two pressure plates, one creature-activated, the other by lack of water on the plate (painted a pond zone over it when it needs priming). Whenever a plate goes active, smashing happens.

In fact, when a plate is activated, the bridges start raising and crashing down and won't stop before the reset is ordered: both plates serve as trigger for a minecart latch, and the minecart latch activates a bridge repeater. This thing is fully automatic and _should_ be capable of catching kobolds. By the end of year three, it has smashed fifty hostile units. The bridges open and close to the side, so as not to disrupt pathing while active.

I'm actually planning to do something similar, except for smash bridges I want to do drop-bridges into the magma sea.
I guess both ways have drawbacks.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32166 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:02 pm »

One of my injured militia has had a child in her recovery bed, and now due to the child's escape to the dining hall, I'm getting a torrent of "cancels Seek Infant: Too tired" messages.

How do I reunite mother and infant? Please help.

EDIT: Okay, name generator, okay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:37:47 pm by DreamCarver »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32167 on: January 09, 2014, 07:31:12 am »

I opened the gates for further immigration, because i wanted to see a siege again (my military forts are fully generational and take forever to pick up population, exactly because of slow attrition eroding away the married couples). Since Galleywheels had its first ambush by the end of year two and they never stopped since, the goblins dutifully sent a siege shortly after we reached 80 beards. However, it was a horrible disappointment: a single large macegoblin detachment with a speargoblin leader riding a giant olm. They all got squished in two shakes of the bridges. They barely hit twenty gobbos.

In autumn, i got an interesting visitor: a demonic diplomat, posing as deity of the humans. "Beware its fire!" - it ran into the autumn ambushes and scorched the surface. The dwarfs didn't appreciate the kill-stealing and wouldn't deal with a demonic abomination, so opened the second entrance path, the one that _can_ let units through alive, but has its own security measures installed. Once the demon was inside, the bridges at both ends of the path were raised and the spikes activated: nine "upright spikes" installations, one or two each of bronze and steel, driven by a minecart repeater. It took a bit of juggling to get the visitor to pass over the spikes while active, but on the third go, it got spiked and stayed spiked. As trophies, we confiscated its trousers (over 700kg) and socks.

Losses of dwarven life: one brewer stabbed in the head as thanks for detecting a goblin thief, one child torn apart by a vulture (eventually walled over the outside area, because vultures just wouldn't stop), one carpenter who decided he had to clean the squish trap while active. I've since disabled cleaning on everybody. Dead goblins: about 150. No military, but i pulled a few dwarfs out of fatal cleaning jobs and off hunting in the face of the enemy by turning them military and giving them a station order. I also sent a makeshift two-dwarf wrestler squad to kill a vulture that'd gotten inside and wouldn't leave or die on its own.

I also got the path layout sorted for the "firecontrolled" minecart area defence: a single-minecart, single-windmill installation using diagonal movement to cover three firing lanes:

Every grid that's either built track or a door (on top of track) can be hit by the minecart. It self-regulates, opening the doors for action and temporarily deactivating the rollers on the return track, so it can keep cycling intermittently as long as the fire signal is active. It would be activated by creature-sensing pressure plates on the tracks.

In other news, another moron decided they had serious business in the smash trap to attend. I've constructed a citizen-triggered pressure plate with adjacent hatch cover to hopefully stop this kind of idiocy, since there's no way to strictly forbid dwarfs from pathing into it - legal path is required for goblins to enter, after all.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32168 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:58 am »

Second Year of my frozen taiga volcano fort. Zombie siege showed up, killed three unlucky sods (saved a peasant though with the use of burrows/meeting zones.
All I wanted was to deforest the area, but no. Necros had to go all elf on me.

Also, got an artifact bin : / with images relating to an artifact made by a child, who I nicknamed "Crap Maker."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:58:49 pm by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32169 on: January 09, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

I'm running a succession game on the Paradox Development Studios forum: BloodCarnage.

We embarked with six tame Helmet Snakes, four of them females. At the beginning of Summer, they laid nearly 100 eggs. If half of those hatch to females, the next generation will give us about 1300 snakes, and with exponential growth... by the end of two years, we'll have over 97 million snakes slithering around our fort.

Welcome to BloodCarnage... Hope you like snakes!
Never pet a burning dog.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32170 on: January 09, 2014, 12:24:13 pm »

Last summer in my fort, when a siege came at the same time as and annaihlated a human caravan, my newest lasherdwarf apparently decided to play hero and rescue a human merchant at my entrance (or maybe she was just going for socks) despite me setting orders to station. As she started getting overwhelmed, I begrudgingly sent everybody to clash in the entrance area.

She was lucky to be alive and ended up having both legs broken (one leg in two places) from her efforts. I imagine her thinking 'Oh GODS! Why in the deep hells did I do this!?' while struggling to stay conscious from the extreme pain. After her legs had healed, she is still holding onto the crutch even though I used DFhack to clear out an infection.

Also ended up with a marksdwarf breaking an arm and shoulder, and thus being in traction for a while and having her baby die. Its the first of granite of the new year and she is still in traction with the shoulder showing as yellow. Even though DT says her wound is healed, I'm not sure if she is actually 'forgotten' or if the wound still needs to heal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:26:53 pm by smjjames »

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32171 on: January 09, 2014, 01:32:30 pm »

You have to deconstruct the traction bench to free your patients. Known bug
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32172 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

You have to deconstruct the traction bench to free your patients. Known bug

I know of the bug, but do I always have to do it and when do I know that the injury is healed?

Anyways, somehow one of my marksdwarves got stuck in the lower cavern for a while and I didn't know about it until she got her sleep interrupted by a two tailed scorpion. It's only ability is a poison sting (which I assume is automatic with the scorpion type anyway) and she is holding out until help arrives.

Edit: NVM, the dwarf got out of traction right as the hauler came to deconstruct it. Still, how do I tell when the injury that requires the traction is healed enough to get the dwarf out of traction?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:09:17 pm by smjjames »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32173 on: January 09, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »

My personal no-military trial fort is shaping up nicely. We got two more goblin sieges, now with Jabberers! They're too big for the smashers, so they had to take the spike corridor. We have lots and lots of meat and jabberer bone crafts now.

Other notables: some titan or other. Barely notable because it went for the bridge trap first - to demolish the doors in there. No big deal, i'd disabled the trap beforehand and the inlet bridge was raised anyway. After that, it went into the spike corridor and fell apart after the first strike, because it was made of water.
Somewhat later, a roc! Very nice. They have a value multiplier of 15, a single masterwork craft bought everything i wanted from the elf caravan. Which speaks more about how few usable items the hippies brought, mainly wood.

And the reaction of the humans for the death of their diplomat - a siege of a lasher squad. God are those annoying. They just camp on the map and won't go away. At all. After they hadn't budged for two seasons, i dug out the floor under them and that got them moving - into a prepared trap tunnel. I also have a little aboveground farm now, although of course the first thing i did with it was floor it over.

Oh, right - no fortress citizens died during those events, although a miner caused a bit of a scare while digging out the floor under the humans - took a different job far away because i'd forgotten to plug the way back in and attracted the attention of the whole squad, but managed to outrun all but the last who only managed one strike, parried by the miner and the counterattack caused a bleeding wound encouraging the lasher to limp back to the squad.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:48:55 pm by Larix »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32174 on: January 09, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »

when the necromancers went away I made a line of traps in my minecart tunnel access.  The zombies conga-ed in, using a door to loosely control access.  Tge surface clearer, squads of marksmen cleaned up, with one military and one civilian causualty.  Down below, a group of three caccodemons ambushed a lone conscript, murdering her baby while she ran.  We got that one, but  three more popped by, one getting caged, one impaled on menacibg spikes, and one pathing through constructed fortifications (facepalm), killing a dwarf and getting curbstomped.

I exported any spare weapons and wafers, then pulled the lava flow, which trickled (read: poured) down our access stairwell.  Dug into the blue pillar, and walked away. Ten minutes later I came back to find out our chief medical dwarf had baby number 3, pausing the game. , .  Looking through legends the decided nvp was Fiststroker, a wombat woman left lower arm, with two kills, a troll and a dwarf.  Had a hammer in aweapon trap in second, with 12 kills alone.

Volcanos are convenient, but nothing special.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:52:01 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 3842