Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2139 2140 [2141] 2142 2143 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096930 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32100 on: January 03, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »

Spawn -> Thrips Corpses -> Spawn -> Eagle Corpse -> Spawn -> Moth Corpses -> Spawn ->
Two local alligators chomp up 3 magpie men corpses. Horray !

Spoiler: Parable of the Sower (click to show/hide)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32101 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:39 pm »

The fortress attracted no migrants this season.

My current fortress consists of: 1 dwarf with ability to grasp lost, 1 dwarf that's a melancholy vampire, my mayor, and a child.

afdslkjfdsalkjfewoirewqoirwoijvnmlkjfdsa

Will. Not. Quit.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32102 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:10 pm »

Never give up, never surrender.

Almost losing a fort and rebuilding feels so good.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32103 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:01 pm »

@Lich - that's why I'm not quitting. I'm usually good at rebuilding things from almost nothing. The only time I quit was when I had no adults, only kids, with goblin crossbowmen firing down from one Z-level above so as to scare anything approaching away. I've been playing since June, and have only gone through I think 7 or 8 fortresses so far...
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32104 on: January 03, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »

Okay. Taking a vote - should I abandon?

2 dwarves. 1 melancholy vampire, 1 8-year old child. Fortress hasn't attracted migrants in at least two seasons, probably longer.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32105 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:49 pm »

Abandon? Why I have never heard such preposterous notions in my life! You will stick it out to the last dwarfs dying breath and you shall do your best to rebuild until that last breath passes a dwarfs lips. In the name of Armok, Dwarfdom, Fun and bloody minded stubbornness.

I vote no.  :D
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32106 on: January 03, 2014, 11:27:08 pm »

Let's ride it out then.

...regardless of the fact that my child is currently throwing a tantrum, possessed by the ghost of one of the unburied/unmemorialized dead in my fortress.

...come on, migrants!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32107 on: January 03, 2014, 11:56:34 pm »

Very little, actually. No shipments of goblinite since the start of the fort almost 2 years ago (they might not exist/still be at peace), no uninvited guests have showed up, and it appears that no fun awaits in the caverns as of now. I'm still slowly building up some defenses, including but not limited to a squad of marksdwarves, a wall around the entrance (how high should it be?), a moat, and an atom smasher for the courtyard.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32108 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:02 pm »

I GOT 3 MIGRANTS! GETTING OFF THE FORUMS TO PLAY!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32109 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:27 pm »

Okay. Taking a vote - should I abandon?

2 dwarves. 1 melancholy vampire, 1 8-year old child. Fortress hasn't attracted migrants in at least two seasons, probably longer.

Another vote for no!  If you manage to turn this fort around, it will be an epic tale of survival!

*Edit*

Whoops, I responded before reading the rest of the thread more closely.  Glad you're sticking with it, MrsStick!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:14:20 am by VerdantSF »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32110 on: January 04, 2014, 12:08:49 am »

*Flameboy99 quickly ignores the fact that MrsStick has already decided to keep going, and delivers a rallying speech anyways*

Nien! You must continue, for the glory of Dwarves, of Fortresses, and of Armok! Lead on, for your dwarves need you as a leader, and lead them you shall! Fight fiercely back against whoever, or whatever decides to feast on a masterfully minced llama-milk-and-dwarf-tallow roast, as the great dwarvern ancestors in fallen Boatmurdered did long ago, and bring !!FUN!! back to the land. What you are experiencing is !!FUN!! in its purest state, and it is something ALL players strive for, be they newbs running their first fortress, or veterans pushing the boundaries of dwarvern science in dwarfputer fortresses. Abandon not, and stay strong in your path to Armok's great booze barrel. Rebuild, again and again, until the vile forces of darkness either rend a dwarf's final breath from their lungs, or until there is nothing left for them to attack with. Now go, MrsStick, and beat back the encroaching loss! Beat back the temptation to abandon, and beat back whatever foul creature attacks, for you are the Overseer, and what you say is law! Enforce your law with the greatest of powers, the dwarvern military, so that all will tremble as you speak!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32111 on: January 04, 2014, 12:50:26 am »

Relicshield, pop. 158, Late Spring of 346 (Year 95)

A new dragon from the wilds was captured! With the addition of Bestra Jewelsweltered, the fortress's dragon population has grown to 15 (2 adults and 13 hatchlings).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32112 on: January 04, 2014, 12:54:15 am »

I'm getting off and going to bed. Updates to my ridiculous fortress:

1. Melancholy vampire disappeared. No announcements, just suddenly I had no idlers, and checked and she was gone. Good riddance! She hasn't showed up in any of my coffins, either.

2. Ghost count is SLOWLY going down. I don't have enough people to make slabs work for now, so I'm trying to churn out as many coffins as I can.

3. I just got 2 more migrants - up to 6 now, including the child. Surprisingly, the kid actually helps pick up equipment and dump stuff. It's all right in my book!

Thanks for talking me into keeping going. This game could be seriously awesome, assuming the forgotten beast made of snow that appeared in my dig site (not in main fortress) doesn't pwn me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32113 on: January 04, 2014, 12:58:29 am »

@kingmurdoc.

Wall height 1 z-level is fine, but me I usuall make it teo, and add and elevated pallisade and fortifcationd on top.  Under the pallusade I like to put ammo for lulz.  Also I like towers,  with underground entrances and fortified outside wall.  3x3 base, 3 high, 7x7 top for over the wall shooting.  I try to line the area directly below the towers with various traps.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32114 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:10 am »

So a couple years back I flooded the river into my basement/tomb level and to save the mines, diverted the whole flow into a cavern. The waterfall is pretty cool, 48 z-levels, and there are some nice apartment-sized rock formations, so I thought it was time to move the entire fortress deeper, down to the cavern.

About halfway through cutting the rock and have moved a lot of furniture, the masons/engravers etc downstairs, almost connected the flood trap, about to send my troops in to clear the trolls out/die heroically, and I notice that the bottom 2 levels of the cavern are full of water already. No drainage!

So... what should I do? There's about 16 levels still to fill before it hits my build site so plenty of time.

I could drain it into the next cavern, thus delaying the problem, but I'd rather keep that one intact if I can (I've never explored that deep before).

I'm aware you can drain things off the map but I'd rather use that as a last resort.

And I haven't opened my lower fortress to the cavern yet so I could just let the water rise, but I'd rather not have an underwater fortress.

Do I have any other options?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 2139 2140 [2141] 2142 2143 ... 3842