Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2141 2142 [2143] 2144 2145 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096671 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32130 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:46 pm »

Decided to start back up after about 4 months of not playing.

Nothing particularly special, yet. It only winter and I'm getting ready to light the magma forges with magma from the volcano I embarked on. Had a moment where we almost ran out of food (which is ok) and booze (which is unacceptable) but that was quickly cleared up. As soon as I can churn out some armor and migrants I'll start up on my cheaty Spartan I program (hint: its a danger room).

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32131 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »

Brand new fort, still digging out the main areas. A bunch of badgers are hanging around. The jeweler goes and punches one, which amuses me enough to make said jeweler our militia commander.

She promptly grabs an axe and starts killing badgers. oO
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32132 on: January 06, 2014, 12:06:36 am »

184,The cyclopean realms.  Apoint north of tge glaciers, an oasis of warmth and life in an otherwise harsh northernlands.

A lone mountain ridge stands tall, running low on timber and besieged by monstrous forces.  The only tradepath out, a small tundra equally repulsive as its ingabitants, bares less and less hope as the cannibals and necromancers scurry about, pkanning their next assault.  (up north, a lone mountain range exists, with above freezing temps in an otherwise merlock inhabited nirth.  humans, elves are fairly far away).

A desperate mission is launched.  7 workers, 2 miners, two metalshapers, a farmer, a two specially trained mechanics, embark to a nearby volcano.  They plan to create the best steel they can, for their mountainhall may not withstand another assault.

pluggy for merlock though im using a different entity raw.

___

So, my first serious volcano embark.  The civ is isolated, surroundedby merlocks and theur many towers.  I am suprised there is anyone close enough to trade with, so far away are humans.  any advice?  -I need trees, water, so I.plan to dig down to cavern and get going there. . .

edit:  So far its nothing more than an terrifying embark, minus the zombies.  An elkbird ripped off my miners foot and he stabbed it in tge head before passing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:17:57 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32133 on: January 06, 2014, 03:17:36 pm »

The no-migration glacier fort is plodding along. The freshly installed goblin mill (bunch of minecarts bouncing between two walls) was a massive success. A very satisfying alternative to just raising the bridge and waiting for the gobbos to go away. Two kobolds and four goblins were slowly converted to pancakes. A bowgoblin squad still decided to hang around by a cage trap outside and it took from early granite to mid-slate until the last of them had tried their luck with the weapon trap and we could clear out the place.

As a nice change of pace, we didn't lose any dwarfs this year, but we also only gained a single baby. We're a long way away from sieges at that pace - at 44 dwarfs currently.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32134 on: January 06, 2014, 04:06:52 pm »

The childcare experiment is underway, more or less. 

Having issues with non-child dwarves insisting on moving the contents of dumped barrels intended to provide long term nourishment to the incubating progeny of the future within, and returning those contents back to the food stockpile. Have to d,b,f over the pile to forbid the contents to prevent this. Irritations.

Other issues with luring the children inside reliably. I suspect they may have suspicions about the nature of their extra special rooms in the bording school.

However, one child is already inclosed with the optimal 7 blue peafowl, and food/drink supplies.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32135 on: January 06, 2014, 04:14:03 pm »

The newly chosen recruits walked into the barracks, and their new commander, Kumil, was there to greet them.

"So your who they sent me. Well, you'll have to do. The Overseer has come up with a way to turn you newbies into cold, hard, killing machines. This training will make us stronger, faster, and tougher. So follow me boys!

As they entered the room which Kumil overheard the engineers calling "The Widow Maker" Kumil thought of his own wife Tulon and hoped the fortress would keep he supported if he didn't come out of this alive. He heard the whir of the machine as it came to life, hoping it wouldn't be the last thing he heard....

My Spartan I's are done, 3 hammer-wielding death machines forged in pain their own stupidity. I've also found so much gold that I've decided all 112 of my dwarves will get a gold cabinet to keep their useless crapvaluable belongings in.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32136 on: January 06, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »

Currently making all my new migrants deforest the map before "fun" arrives and makes surface work a bother. Got an artifact bone statue also. It relates to dorfs assaulting a goblin fortress.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32137 on: January 06, 2014, 09:57:13 pm »

Swimming in silver. Each dwarf will eventually have a silver statue installed in their room.

Finally came under siege after an exceptional amount of time and migrants. Had so many cage traps laid down I captured all but a few of them.

The prisoners await there appointments with a firing squad.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32138 on: January 06, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »

The childcare experiment is underway, more or less. 

Having issues with non-child dwarves insisting on moving the contents of dumped barrels intended to provide long term nourishment to the incubating progeny of the future within, and returning those contents back to the food stockpile. Have to d,b,f over the pile to forbid the contents to prevent this. Irritations.

Other issues with luring the children inside reliably. I suspect they may have suspicions about the nature of their extra special rooms in the bording school.

However, one child is already inclosed with the optimal 7 blue peafowl, and food/drink supplies.
Let us know how that goes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32139 on: January 06, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »

end of year one.  Lumber is short, but food is now plentiful and security is relatively good.  In fact, I have yet to implement my full time military.  Now is as good a time as any, though, as my first friend showed up.  Beware its squirms and fidgets!  It a slime made of steam, nothing more than a blob with a shell.  lulable.

My cages have been a godsend, tge precious wood saving us from three gcs, a few maradering draltha, a giant bat, a rat, and a few gorlaks.  tge dralthas gave birth, and I regret not training them, altjough they saved us from starvation when food was short.  A couple of cave crocodiles made their home in my pond, which as of yet is the only one.  Two magma pools, though :rolleyes:

A troll murdered a gander, and spooked my horse, but I fortified a pillar by my entrance so it was good training.  Yawn, its so slow, but This forts biggest issue is its 'limited flyer protection, little water (small pond for a cavern), and the space needed for my 29 migrants.  yawn.  hopefully some fun soon. Havent had any since the spider tried to eat my lumberdwarf, got lost, and chased a weaver into a cage I put down a deadend.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:54:51 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32140 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:53 pm »

What's going on in my fort?
This:

Three other carts share another nine kills among them, two haven't had any success so far.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32141 on: January 06, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »

What's going on in my fort?
This:

Three other carts share another nine kills among them, two haven't had any success so far.
I vote masterful nickel silver minecart for mayor!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32142 on: January 06, 2014, 11:54:25 pm »

Found a rare =«*silver war hammer*»= on a goblin squad leader. The description:

"This is a superior quality silver war hammer.  It is encrusted with exceptionally worked rectangular gabbro cabochons and decorated with echidna bone.  On the item is a well-designed  image of Tode Gauntseduces the goblin and goblins in cave crocodile bone.  The goblins are refusing Tode Gauntseduces.  Tode Gauntseduces is  making a plaintive gesture.  The artwork relates to the departure of the goblin Tode Gauntseduces from the position of master of The Wraith of Dents in the late autumn of 774."

774 was the third year of my fort, so this must be the master I killed. Evidently the goblins have been sieging me 2-3 times a year for over century in a futile quest to avenge their fallen master.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32143 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:45 am »

Dwarves taking the bin to the item whenever they want to store item seemed harmless at first....but it has cost me 20 dwarves so far and tantrum spiral is going strong. All because farmers workshop where pig tail was proccessed into thread was quite far away from the rest of my textile industy. Its difficult to process thread when it is constantly being carried by some idiot.
But I am glad, because the fort was getting boring.

Also, goblin siege came. I burned them all in my corridor of death by magma. However, they brought 5 blizzard men, which have now been promoted into my #1 most hated creature in the game. They burned allright. For 4 months. With no result. Also, the tiles next to them became heated I guess? Because it was not possible for my melee dwarves to get to them. My markdwarves fired HUNDREDS of iron bolts into them, but it still didn't take them down. Not sure what to do with them.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32144 on: January 07, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »

I changed the defensive architecture to guide goblins less into the cage traps and more into the minecart grinder. The results were impressive - while one of the winter ambushes spawned inside the fort (i've no idea how they do this, there's absolutely no path; they seem to appear directly underground inside the glacier, possibly at the glacier/tundra biome border) and managed to kill a lasher before getting subdued, another ambush spawned properly and went into the bonemill. And the entire spring incursion remained invisible - the doors near the grinder kept opening and closing, the primary minecart went a bit slower and the "dead units" count went up. Looking in there told me we've been visited by one sword, one pike and a spear squad.

The secondary minecart has scored four kills this year, bringing it up to eight. The ☼nickel silver minecart☼ is the most successful goblin-slayer of the fortress now, with thirty-two dead goblins and one kobold.

Overall tally of the fort: 159 dead goblins, 51 captured goblins, 11 dead dwarfs, 43 living dwarfs. I wonder why the goblins keep trying.

I reduced the goblins' active seasons to only winter and spring; i found it way too annoying to watch out for a full-out ambush every season, esp. since each active season requires lockdown and extra attention until the goblins are definitely gone, between six weeks and two months per season, leaving no time at all to improve outside defences and clean up the surface. I have eight militarydwarfs, five of which are elites, but they're still only training in their spare time, so are definitely not up to full-on battles.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:02:35 pm by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 2141 2142 [2143] 2144 2145 ... 3842