Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2140 2141 [2142] 2143 2144 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096678 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32115 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:54 am »

Besides trying to scramble and build a pumpstack to the surface, letting it flow out there? Not that I can think of. Also, if you can actually build the pumpstack, that would be rather impressive.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32116 on: January 04, 2014, 02:50:29 am »

Quick. Dig a tunnel from your cavern, to the side of the map. 2 or 3 layers above where the water is, the closer the better, only 2 tiles wide at most. When it won't let you dig any further, smooth that wall out (just that edge one), and then put in a fortification there.

I think that will turn that tunnel into a drain. Once you have that one, make another lower one (using ramps to burrow below the waterline), and then puncture your pool so that it drains into the lower drain. Dare I say it, rinse and repeat.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32117 on: January 04, 2014, 03:35:52 am »

FurnaceClans:

MIGRANTS!!!!!!

That is all.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32118 on: January 04, 2014, 08:37:57 am »

Decide to start an Masterwork fortress for the first time and started with an couple of problems:
-There is no flux stone in the world beside the sea in the middle of the world
-Place is an 'Peaceful' so there will not be easy food
-Will take an year to grow any underground plants so food will be even harder
-Petty sure that one for my dwarfs is an vampire after finding blood that didn't belong to anyone

Anyone got tips for Masterwork fortress?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32119 on: January 04, 2014, 09:31:09 am »

Very little, actually. No shipments of goblinite since the start of the fort almost 2 years ago (they might not exist/still be at peace), no uninvited guests have showed up, and it appears that no fun awaits in the caverns as of now. I'm still slowly building up some defenses, including but not limited to a squad of marksdwarves, a wall around the entrance (how high should it be?), a moat, and an atom smasher for the courtyard.

IRL being a crossbow-dwarf on a 50-foot wall is great because it gives the dwarf a lot more range. If his range is 500 ft before the bolt hits the ground, when he's on that wall it's 500 ft+the distance the bolt travels while falling an extra 50 ft. He's also a lot safer from enemy fire, because their bolts/arrows/etc. have to be at least 50 ft high before they can hit him, so their range is a lot less then 500 ft. However in DF a z-level down counts as a square of travel, so if you stick your archers 15 z-levels up the enemy will be 15 squares closer to the fort before they can start shooting.

For optimal gameplay the height of any given is one z-level unless there's a hill a gobbo archer could stand on and shoot into your fort. In that case the optimal height is the z-level the gobbo would be standing on. Optimal construction requires a wall on the z-level the enemy shoots you from, and a Fortification on the level your guys shoot from. The latter is so that non-elite gobbo/bold/etc. archers can't shoot at your troops, the former is mostly to keep your civilians from panicking and refusing to work because they see a troll, but partly because elite archers can machine gun arrows through fortifications and massacre unarmored and untrained civvies.

But, this being Dwarf Fortress, the correct answer to your question ("how high should I build this wall), is as high as physically possible.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32120 on: January 04, 2014, 03:19:11 pm »

In Athelshigos (can't figure out how to insert the ASCII for acute-accented o), we've now had a forgotten beast take out one guy, 400 animals, before being killed by the dwarven liaison. Kor was a firebreathing hornbill. A season later, I still have smoke emanating from one spot outside my fortress.

Then, since most of my home defense traps were destroyed, in the next siege of 10 blizzard men and 37 goblins, had one goblin make it into my fortress. He then proceeded to kill 2 more of my dwarves. I'm down to 3 dwarves, one of whom is a mayor who keeps having meetings instead of doing useful things.

At least the !!FUN!! has downgraded to just regular x(FUN)x.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32121 on: January 04, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 163, Late Autumn of 346 (Year 95)

Former Commander Sphalerite, one of the Original Seven, killed 316 foes before he met his untimely end in 313.  Still, his record remained unbroken for 33 years.  It was finally surpassed by current Commander Dishmab Shootwondered-Vesselbrain during a goblin siege. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Normally stationed at the northern trade gate, Dishmab and half of her squad were keeping watch near the southern wall due to clean-up from a previous siege.  A squad of trolls tried to enter the trade tunnels, but Dishmab, wielding the artifact lead mace, Drumseer the Contemptible Loot, quickly showed them the error of their ways.  Utes the troll provided the 317th kill as the dwarves beat back the siege just in time for the arrival of the dwarven caravan.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32122 on: January 04, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »

"Miner cancels Dig: Webbed."

OH BOY
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32123 on: January 04, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »

"Miner cancels Dig: Webbed."

OH BOY
The "Miner Cancles Dig: Interrupted by X" has been so often my first hint !!FUN!! is going to be dropped on me like it's stone and I'm a particularly annoying vampire king.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32124 on: January 04, 2014, 10:01:26 pm »

Operation "Butcher Chamber" went well. At least for the first horse.
Militia commander Kagami kept the horseskin down while everyone looted the tasty things.
He is "strong", and it looks like he had a bright future in The Lucky Stakes (yes, that is the squad name).
But declining to provide a helmet was his undoing. The second horseskin managed to one-shot his brain.
Now he is "very strong with incredible muscles" in zombie form.

Still, as overseer, I have no regrets.
You must always butcher livestock, because a full horse zombie is much more dangerous.
And we didn't have time to make a helmet for him, because horses was starving.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32125 on: January 04, 2014, 11:07:58 pm »

I forgot how painful busting sand aquifers were when only one layer of dirt is avsilable.  And heaven forbid I take 20 copper instead of more than 50 stone.  Also, forgot rope and cant be bothered to use tge thread I did bring to make some.  Thems suturing and dressing booboos.

So, Autumn is here, tge giant eagles are lazing about up somewhere. the alligators are peaceful and away from lake sponge.  I have 9 beds, 2 fishers fishing the lake in a little alcove I dug, and two of my farm setups are rolling.  With 16 2x10 farms running (well theyd be if I had the seed), I should have food to trade despite the majority of the fort pumpimg water into water and building wooden planks around a small opening.  I just hope that after this last stubborn leak get plugged there isnt another layer.  Id cry.  Inside though.

edit:  the last piece of wood wouldnt go, so I used a spare door, which did go.  Gee, I hope somebody doesnt open it . . .
pedit:  If i remember right a lever will make itunuseable 'cept for the lever
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:36:02 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32126 on: January 05, 2014, 01:31:25 am »

Goblin comes by. Luckily, the dwarf who spots it is the military commander's wife, and just happens to be carrying a crossbow. She shoots the goblin about five times, then drops the bow and wanders off.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #32127 on: January 05, 2014, 03:32:20 am »

I'm almost disappointed that the creepy-crawly that left the webs wasn't around anymore. I was expecting some <-Fun->, at the very least.

I almost regret this embark site. Nothing ever happens. The most fun I've had was a giant louse somehow killing a stonecarver and some random peasant.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

BetaOrion

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32128 on: January 05, 2014, 07:37:42 am »

My fortress hast been going on for about a year. In late-winter, the only and first masterpiece of my carpenter went missing and he started throwing tantrums. I was hoping he would calm down, dut he went berserk. He had an copper battle axe, so i was worried he could hurt someone. I quickly assigned the only dwarf with a weapon (the miner) to a squad and did what i wanted to avoid, killing him. The fight log is one of the shortest but also best i have ever seen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Student cancels study: distracted by dwarf fortress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32129 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:12 pm »

So I modded slade to be diggable and an ore of what is basically a recolored super-heavy adamantine, and altered my worldgen params to generate 100 levels of SMR for maximum delicious candy. Then I embarked and revealed all.

Cons:
-No sedimentary rock
-Only two adamantine veins

Pros:
+Both veins go to the top of the third cavern
+Curious structure (w/short sword)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 2140 2141 [2142] 2143 2144 ... 3842