Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098590 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31860 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:43 am »

Gatenames is in its second year. And it appears water has come flooding out of my well at an alarming rate.

... a very alarming rate.

More on this soon.

EDIT: Dear god 7/7 stack water has entered the mines. The lower half of the fortress is flooded. I created an emergency escape route to the surface. How did this happen!?

EDIT2: Two subsequent goblin ambushes. They killed at least 3 hiding from the water on the surface including a master miner before my militia could scare them off. Who knows how many are drowning inside.

EDIT 3: Managed to rescue people trapped in rooms with proper doors. Set up a temporary refugee area. It seems our food is lost, so is all our seeds, and other ware. Hospital and barracks are still accessible but our doctor went insane. Stitches the doctor took off all his clothes and ran into the forest. He hasn't been seen since. Tantrums and insanity seem to be the fallout of this disaster, people starving and beating each other willy nilly. Luckily I haven't appointed a hammerer or sheriff or it'd be even worse. Still trying to figure out how to set up now, as it seems this situation could well be permanent.

EDITfucking4: Now a necromancer has arrived... and there are corpses everywhere..

LASTEDIT: ...Zombies ate my fort. Everyone. Didn't even have time to seal myself in. O.O no words
Drowning, goblins, tantrum spiral and zombies. Not bad, you missed magma and HFS, but what can you do.

All within an hour! It happened over the winter. Never seen such an overdose of FUN
Yeah yeah yeah!

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31861 on: December 11, 2013, 09:37:59 am »

So my GCS silk farm went full stop, because the boar used to make the spider spit webs died of old age. Rest in peace, piggey.  :'(
Alright, -I said, let's start up that industry again-, so I opened the door locking the hapless animal in the silking chamber. One of my rangers (actually, my bookkeeper's wife) decided to run all the way down to the chamber to dump the corpse of the boar. ...that was the point when something terrible caught her attention... yes... the horror... the abomination which was lurking in the darkness on the other side of the fortification.
In short, she was so surprised and scared that she hysterically emptied two stack of bolts into Eagleboulder's most precious habitant. The poor spider didn't survived the onslaught, so the penalty was unavoidable.

I wanted to give a chance for the ranger to die in honor, so she was tossed in the arena to met her destiny. She fought bravely, but was slowly overwhelmed by her opponents.

All in all, we've lost a brave but fool soul, and our goose that laid golden eggs.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:39:33 am by Geldrin »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31862 on: December 11, 2013, 10:51:47 am »

...and anyway, when the bookkeeper tantrums, what'll he do? Throw papers everywhere? :3

I've captured giant cave spiders before but I've never set up a silk farm yet. The closest I got to exploiting a wild animal like that was using a captured bronze colossus for training my marksdwarves.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31863 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:44 am »

Got a cow bone spear... I might assigning to a legendary spear dorf if I get one and name them Moo Moo.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31864 on: December 11, 2013, 11:09:57 am »

I've captured giant cave spiders before but I've never set up a silk farm yet. The closest I got to exploiting a wild animal like that was using a captured bronze colossus for training my marksdwarves.

I've been hoping to be lucky enough to lure a forgotten beast with webs into a farm, but haven't managed it yet. Did get a GCS farm up and running, doesn't take too much effort honestly.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31865 on: December 11, 2013, 11:44:30 am »

I've been hoping to be lucky enough to lure a forgotten beast with webs into a farm, but haven't managed it yet. Did get a GCS farm up and running, doesn't take too much effort honestly.

Use a hatch over stairs. Instant control lure. Unlock it to lure the beastie closer via its [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] tag, then lock it before it gets through. I used a similar system in an earlier fort to trap my first forgotten beast in a cell. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a hatch to get it where you want it to go, but if you're smart, you can precisely control an FB's movements that way.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31866 on: December 11, 2013, 11:59:32 am »

Lost about 4 dorfs to building a death spire and a miner is now vomiting everywhere. Of course the 5 doctors are on break.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31867 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:29 pm »

Just lost my first real fort in a Terrifying reanimating biome to giant sparrow corpses. I KNEW I shouldn't have left that roof area open! Dammit!

It was so promising, too... *sigh*

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31868 on: December 11, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »

Just lost my first real fort in a Terrifying reanimating biome to giant sparrow corpses. I KNEW I shouldn't have left that roof area open! Dammit!

It was so promising, too... *sigh*

I tend to forget about roofs, too.  Since they're not on the usual viewing level, out of sight, out of mind.  I had a swamp titan fly right into the middle of the main courtyard once!  Good luck on your next fort!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31869 on: December 11, 2013, 01:14:52 pm »

Razoract
1st Malachite, 224

Due to an unfortunate lack of sand bags owing to glass being needed for magma pumpstack creation, a possession was left to go insane. Today Rigoth Egulstinthad, Planter, has gone berserk.

Well, shit.

-settles back with popcorn and sets the miners on him-

Edit, 2nd Malachite:

Well. That was anticlimactic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:20:54 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31870 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:24 pm »

Anticlimactic?  That was pretty awesome, especially if you imagine the combat text following in the exact order as presented (even though sometimes earlier events show up later).  That kid has a mean right hook!  I foresee a future in the military. 

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31871 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:50 pm »

Edit, 2nd Malachite:

This is why Dwarves don't partake in boxing as recreation.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31872 on: December 11, 2013, 01:48:13 pm »

Anticlimactic?  That was pretty awesome, especially if you imagine the combat text following in the exact order as presented (even though sometimes earlier events show up later).  That kid has a mean right hook!  I foresee a future in the military.

Edit, 2nd Malachite:

This is why Dwarves don't partake in boxing as recreation.

Upon further examination, this is the kid who got his foot torn off by a violent ghost back in 222.

Aaaaand he's covered in his own blood. Ew.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31873 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:06 pm »

So he was using a crutch while fighting?  Even better!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31874 on: December 11, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »

So he was using a crutch while fighting?  Even better!

He's a goddamn grand master crutch-walker, holy shit.

Y'know what DF needs? Peg-legs. Frikkin' ASAP. I'd make an addy one just for this kid. Or, wait, no, he likes aluminum. Do I have any of that on this map...? I wish you could assign crutches, I'd give this kid an aluminum crutch in a heartbeat.

Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 3842