Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096383 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29940 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 131, Autumn of 316 (Year 65)

The dragon hatchlings have continued to guard the second cavern effectively, burning all forgotten beasts that dare to approach.  The cavern's magma pool has been tapped and construction is underway for the outpost that will house the workers of the Deep Forge.

Up on the surface, the Evils of Spray attacked again.  Not content to wait for the invaders to enter the trade tunnels, the dwarves of Relicshield took the fight to them.  Dishmab Vesselbrain, wielder of Drumseer the artifact lead mace, led the charge, smashing goblins left and right.  One of the recruit squads got separated from the main force and were quickly surrounded by triple their number.  They fought valiantly, holding the goblins off until Commander Olivine arrived with reinforcements, rolling over the invaders in a tidal wave of dwarven fury.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29941 on: July 03, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

What happened to Swordgleams?

I essentially opted to abandon it after a dozen years. 

War rhinos were interesting, but since they were still grazers there were issues on how to use them unless I simply pastured them all over to chase stuff.

Goblin sieges were basically being trashed in the approach area by the combination of traps and a well-trained military.  I didn't have any sort of mass building project in mind and figured I'd rather put the veterans back into the pool for another fort to possibly get than go fight the circus with them.  And I find successor forts interesting since the immigrants can often include the return of very good military or craftdwarves.  Also will get fewer children since the home civ ones are 11 years older and most of the fortress children are roughly that age as well.  If they do immigrate they become productive adults fairly quickly.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29942 on: July 04, 2013, 02:05:27 am »

Ah! Good luck with your current fort! 

Relicshield, pop. 129, Spring of 317 (Year 66)

Construction of the magma-powered Deep Forge complex was completed, finally achieving energy independence for the fortress!  Meanwhile, Nish Roughwhips tamed her first dragon.  Along with her father, Meng Roughwhips, the number of Relicshield's tamed dragons has been increased to 9.  The remaining 3 adult dragons Ibmat, Istrath, and Slusa have remained trained and relatively docile, but it's likely all three will always have a touch of the wild.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:09:36 am by VerdantSF »

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29943 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:38 am »

@VerdantDF and Skyte, thanks for the dragon-breeding hints. Gotta try this sometime. And may the Claspletters continue to prosper. ;)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29944 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »

I sent my Axe Lord squad from NobleFort into the MigrantFort, and it worked pretty well.
A few children were abducted in the process, but NobleFort has plenty more, and nobody seems to mind.

In fact, the past 7 months in Quakeswallowed seem to summarize the entire fort pretty well.
So here's a rough sketch of the Announcement log.
Spoiler: Timber (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Opal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moonstone (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Obsidian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Granite (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Slate (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Felsite (click to show/hide)
Edit: Forgot that a FB attacked during the process. How could I forget that?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:17:34 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29945 on: July 04, 2013, 01:29:29 pm »

Btw, what's the name of your fort?

It's called Nitigonol (Bitemountains)

Time to continue the story..

In 1403, I started to build a bunch of forges and melters directly on the top of the volcano. A really bad mistake - my Metalworkers and Blacksmithes disappeared and died over the following months and years. I still don't know why - i haven't seen a single magma crab or any other magam creature in the unit list ever.

With walls built around my fortress, a handful marksdwarfes guarding them and some traps spread around, I felt safe. Until an army of 70 reanimated goblins layed siege on my fortress. I realized, that I forgot to link my entrance bridge to a lever, so the whole fortress was open for the invaders. Even though my traps and the marksdwarfes killed many of them, they overrun the walls and massacred my marksdwarfes, one after another. I don't know if it had just been luck, or if the giant tigers are really that strong, but she cleaned the walls all by herself. Of my 10 marksdwarfes, 5 died in the battle - two of them by running directly into the invaders instead of shooting the. 2 more died in the hospital because of major injuries. Another lost both legs, and was killed by a thief about a year later. The second survivor lost his left arm, and  had major injuries all over his body - he fully regenerated after half a year in the hospital and is now the leader of my marksdwarfes. The third survivor lost his right arm and broke his spine. He is still not able to stand. As I cannot use him in the army any more, I made him my animal trainer, and he does well in his new job.

The following years, nothing really noteable happened. Except for a bunch of soldiers who died because of their own stupidity, every siege and ambush was ended quickly.

Now, it's spring 1406. I just started to dig out my training arena for my mace and axe dwarfes. Let's see how my plans with the captured necromancer works out.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29946 on: July 04, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »

In 1403, I started to build a bunch of forges and melters directly on the top of the volcano. A really bad mistake - my Metalworkers and Blacksmithes disappeared and died over the following months and years. I still don't know why - i haven't seen a single magma crab or any other magam creature in the unit list ever.

Did you make sure to only have magma access holes under an impassable tile for each forge and smelter?

I don't know if it had just been luck, or if the giant tigers are really that strong, but she cleaned the walls all by herself.

They're really that strong :).

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29947 on: July 04, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

Queen! Urgent News!

Weedsmokes faces great adversity! The Frost Giants have laid siege to the fortress! They are led by one Pahe Hiilihaamu a "Worldender Swordsmaster" wielding a "burning" zweihander. The trade gates have been ordered closed, the militia has been placed in strategic burrows, the rookies being left in reserve and the 10 legendary fighters of Weedsmokes have been order to hold the "kill room". A chamber deep in the earth and the only open pathway to the Fortress and it's citizens. Archers have been placed on the fortified level above and the dwarves are ready to pull the levers to seal the foe in. Here's hoping Orichalum weapons crack these beasts frozen hide. Wish the populace of Weedsmokes luck, and by Armoks blessing we shall spill frozen blood this day!

Baroness,

Obok Atirim

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29948 on: July 04, 2013, 01:50:02 pm »

Did you make sure to only have magma access holes under an impassable tile for each forge and smelter?

I don't know if it had just been luck, or if the giant tigers are really that strong, but she cleaned the walls all by herself.

They're really that strong :).
Grats on 30000th post in this thread!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29949 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

the cave crocodile eggs have finally hatched, completely annihilating my frame rate.

i had to butcher a bunch to get it back to 40.

i think the fix to cat sized dwarves in LNP had the side effect of making every child adult sized. there was no way 15 70cm3 hatchlings could possibly yield 400 meat.

the fortress has been plagued with a severe lack of sieges, beasts, etc. with a population of over 200, the fortress has only been plagued by a single goblin siege last fall, which consisted of one squad. gave us lot of time prepare for the inevitable.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29950 on: July 04, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »

Queen,

The siege is repelled! The Frost Giants were slaughtered mercilessly. Bashnom Plantedwire, our resident macelord, finally earned a title the Windy Earth of Tops; killed three Frost Giants with Eseshas, or Spuncaves the steel mace. The pike wielders found their new Orichalcum pikes more than enough to pierce the Frost Giants skulls and Zotir Wraithlike Cloistered the Fucia Angers claimed two more as did an untitled pikelord. Weedsmokes prevails. It may be time to start digging deeper...

Or perhaps breach the first cavern and deal with these antmen...

In the interim we stand tall, or... stout rather. 284 Dwarves, stout and strong. 23rd, Galena. Year 210.

Baroness,

Obok Atirim

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29951 on: July 04, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »

One season completed at the cold outpost of Relicblaze.  Summer has arrived with the ground still snow-covered and the stream and ponds frozen.  This might make things interesting.

At this point the outpost has dug in and is basically simply preparing basic support and defenses.  A perimeter wall is mostly in place to provide a protected surface area for the animals and some outdoor work.  Some workshops have been erected for temporary use, and a few already taken back down.  The carpenter was put to work making the initial set of beds, some tables and chairs for dining, and is now knocking together wheelbarrows and minecarts.  (The first cart is already in place below supporting an "everything but food" stock pile that the wagon was emptied out into.)  A mason shop is in constant use turning out blocks for walls.

The supply of copper and tin ore brought in the wagon has already been converted to bronze bars, and these have been made into extra tools and weapons.  A wood furnace is running to make charcoal to support forging and also kick off the glass and pottery works once they are needed.

The only local wildlife sighted so far has been a eagle and a few... kangaroos?   ???

The miners have discovered tetrahedrite, various gems, and also some limestone deposits.  Fire clay and black sand are also available in abundance.  No sign yet of a cavern, but the initial exploration shaft is only seven levels down.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29952 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:27 pm »

The water in the first cavern is getting in the way, so I'm draining it. The map edges have all been sealed already, and it's time to test my belief that creatures will never spawn in the air above a fortification.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29953 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:41 pm »

My current fortress, Avuzshedim (Minedshadow), is busy trying to corral a web-slinging FB that wandered into the fort's bulwark. The dwarves are also still cleaning up the blood spatter from the other FB that came in unexpectedly. Had three casualties (not counting numerous war dogs), managed to keep it from getting past the bulwark though, so that squad gets to spend lots of time in the danger room again. Oh, and while all this is going on, there's also been a werebeast (goat-based, of all things...) marauding around the surface, slaughtering migrants (not like they were being let in anyway), merchants, and whatever else has been unfortunate enough to encounter it. The gates to the surface haven't been opened in a few years, I should note... I keep wondering if the merchants will ever get a clue. Same goes for the migrants...

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29954 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:22 pm »

Relicblaze may have to be renamed to "Ice Station Zebra".

Nearing late autumn with no sign of a thaw.  The first cavern was found and it has plants, but no extant water.  So currently a wounded dwarf will be a dead dwarf until a water source is found.  Hopefully the second cavern will have a lake that can be tapped.

Magma has been located as well, but cannot be used until some magma-proof carts are available.  In the mean time charcoal is being used for some forging work as well as some limited glass production.  Miners have finished clearing workshop space and now are making chambers for expanded dining room, offices, and other mundane purposes.  The blocks produced by the masons have built a second floor on the small keep and most of a roof.  This will be turned over to the military for training and defense.

The first migrant wave arrived in early summer.  It added seven adults, a child, and some goats.  One of the adults was an expert bowyer (third I have seen from this civ - must like marksdwarves.)  Once some livestock was slaughtered he was put to work making crossbows.  Useful for defense or trade at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 3842