Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096097 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29970 on: July 05, 2013, 06:14:11 pm »

I discovered a bunch of flying elves on the edge of the map and found out their hidden mounts the hard way. (Note: This is a war they started in world gen and I modded elves to use real weapons/armor.) Broken spines for EVERYONE!

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29971 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:56 pm »

A silly Kea-man is attacking a Giant Sponge

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29972 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10:54 pm »

So, another update for Minedshadow (started in year 147, current year 166, pop 228): Finished construction of what I hope will be a suitable "lair" for Lozu Stuxulom (described as "A towering hairy ribbon worm. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it undulates rhythmically. Its light blue hair is long and shaggy. Beware its webs!"). I'm now waiting on it to finish strangling the poor dwarf I had to send to open the emergency release on one of the bulwark entrances, since it wasn't pathing towards the lures I'd installed along the isolated route to said intended "lair." That dwarf has been getting strangled by Luzo for about 3 months now.

And ontop of all that, the dwarves are busy cleaning out the remains of another siege from the meatgrinder (combined various weapon/cage traps and minecart-relay driven upright spears). Seems they're getting quite the prisoner stock going. I guess I'll have to line up some live training exercises for the guards and militia (1 squad of each), maybe a "material replicator/marksdwarf trainer", and I suppose the rest can go as "toys" for the war elephants(yeah, modded slightly, grazer value of 2000 now)... Or maybe see if I can start a colony of trolls...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29973 on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »

I sent the Noble Axe Lord Squad out to guard the human caravan. Nothing happened, so we successfully traded-away a lot of useless stuff. Now I stationed the squad into the Dead Dog Room so that they can transfer back to NobleFort. Shiny iron greaves and masterwork statues await them.

I thought about joining the Lords to train the migrant militia, but naaah. They already got a silver maces and copper morning stars and iron shields. The captain even has a full suit of iron armor, so that's like royal treatment right there.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29974 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:58 pm »

larimam, neoyawned, a adamantine shield. (this is literally how they spelled it. i guess dwarven grammar is a mystery of the ages)

weight <1R, value 1422000

this is a adamantine shield. all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encrusted with briolette cut rubies and oval bauxite cabochons, decorated with crundle bone and encircled with bands of cushion native gold cabochons, fungiwood and round bauxite cabochons. on the item is an image of a cloud in adamantine.

FUCK YES!!!! 2 wafers for a shield is an even trade. though i do not understand why there's an "a" before adamantine, this is big. also, that armorer is legendary +5 now.

i can't wait to test its effectiveness. i think shield bashing is weakened, but addy is also the most protective metal, so i guess it evens out. doen't matter because i haven't seen a single siege in over a year now.

Minedshadow, give an update when it gets into the lair.
'
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29975 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:05 pm »

Carving out a area to stop the flood spewing from my well because I forgot to put in a floodgate. Also trying to figure out how to get my med dwarves to medicate all these problems. My hospital's stocked, with soap even. On the plus side, I caught an eagle. That was exciting news.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29976 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:52 pm »

Minedshadow, give an update when it gets into the lair.
'

Well, Lozu still hasn't finished that dwarf off yet (he's been getting strangled for 6 months now, still not dead, or even hungry/thirsty...), however another web-spitter just showed up: Kor, a great eyeless iguana with wings. So, one of those two should make it up to the intended lair/web farm that's right next to the clothier's workshop. I figure what will happen is that Kor will path up to where Lozu is trying (and failing) to kill that poor dwarf, finish said dwarf off, and then the both of them will make for the bait-laden lair. Once that actually happens, I can seal off the control lever to the bridge gates for said lair, and then they will be forever entombed therein.... That's the plan anyway.

Edit: SITREP: A third FB has just appeared (the other two still aren't in the lair yet... and I had to send in another dwarf to get them moving after Kor killed the first dwarf... eesh. They had both been paralyzed in mine-cart related accidents though, so I figured I'd give them one final task...), named Daze. An enormous humanoid composed of fine pewter, with a stubby tail and bloated body... it also shoots webs... I guess once I finally get the ever-growing population of web-slinging FBs to where I can make use of all that free(ish) silk, at least my dwarves won't ever have to worry about clothing shortages again.

SITREP 2: Alright, finally got Lozu and Kor into the lair. I've since moved them out into a holding pen, while I tweak the silk farming system. Finally finding a use for those trapped goblins while I'm at it. Daze has proven content to lurk in the 1st cavern for the time being. That's alright, I have special plans for that one... Marksdwarf trainer anyone? Even if I don't have luck getting Daze where I want it, that's still two FB web-slingers for silk production, on demand now. The game may not rate FB silk any more valuable than cave spider, but dammit, I think two+ FB silk types should count for something.  8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:09:27 am by xandalis »

CHR1SZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29977 on: July 06, 2013, 04:53:54 am »

After many dwarven years of chert rings and turquoises cut SO well that my dwarves refuse to sell them I've finally got a useful artifact: a crossbow! Too bad I don't have any remotely skilled marksdwarves...
It's all very epic. Jump off a tower towards a spike pit, and at the last moment attempt to parry the planet.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29978 on: July 06, 2013, 09:59:24 am »

Relicshield, pop. 138, Spring of 322 (Year 71)

Stakud Roughwhips, wife of Meng the dragon tamer, was accidentally slain by Istrath the dragon.  She successfully lured a forgotten beast into the dragon corridor, but wasn't quick enough to avoid Istrath's breath :(.  A memorial hall was created in Stakud's honor, serving as a reminder to the dwarves of the power and danger of the dragons under their command.

The war with the humans has ended. 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29979 on: July 06, 2013, 11:20:24 am »

It was as if she was staying by her mother's side, watching her die because the medical staff was overwhelmed(read: lazy motherf*ckers) and couldn't take care of her, just so someone could at least comfort the dying mother. :'(

Oh man, that sucks!  Did the medics have all non-hospital labors shut off?  I almost had a dwarf die of thirst because the medics apparently thought shuffling stones around was more important.  That's odd re: the bed pile-up happening.  I've never seen that before.  Were all the other beds in the hospital full?

And prior to that, an injured axedwarf was lying at the edge of the map(broken foot) awaiting rescue when a minotaur showed up close by. The minotaur quickly went for the axedwarf, who decided he wasn't going down without a fight.

Glad he got some hits in!  War turkeys, eh?  A flock of them pinning down a minotaur, that's awesome!
All drinking/sleeping/eating/on break, possibly hauling at all times it seems. I have a couple who are cross-class medics/mechanics who may or may not be in the military(one was in the hospital, who has since been treated). The CMD seems to be the only one willing to do diagnosis, even healing, despite every other doc with the labors on. Not sure if all the beds are full. I have many beds, but also a great deal of wounded.

I had forgotten this, but that axedwarf was actually a swordsdwarf, I think, and he was the squad's captain. He position was filled by the dwarf with the highest skill. War turkeys have been surprisingly good. They can't do any damage, but they tend to soak missiles, plus this whole thing with the minotaur.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29980 on: July 06, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »

A siege ambush caught dwarven merchants outside of the trade tunnels.  Many perished, but one marksdwarf guard managed to survive, despite being filled with arrows from an entire squad of goblin archers.  With all of his companions gone, King Urist quickly signed off on an emergency migration waiver and Sazir Passeddyes was taken to the hospital.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - 6 arrows imbedded in him.  19 stitches and as many wound dressings.  Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, the medics of Relicshield were unable to save him :(.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:38:15 pm by VerdantSF »

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29981 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:29 pm »

Minedshadow, est 147. Late winter, year 167, pop 195 (decrease since last enumeration due to what I am calling "The Bugged Dead," currently 21 deceased dwarves that show up as population in DT, though they are listed under dead/missing in game *headscratch*).

So, the dwarves are busy working on a second lair, intended for Daze (or something else that might come along and the dwarves can make use of...), and upgrading the holding pen extension off the first lair. Silk production has been suspended for now, due to worker traffic through the collection area. I'm considering adding in a pitting system above the 2nd lair holding pen, although I'm wary of doing that before I know "what" will be inhabiting that space. Daze isn't a flyer, but the other two (Lozu and Kor) are. Hence no pitting system on the z-level above for them.

In other planning, I'm slowly plotting planning an embark-sized (3x3 in this case) obsidian casting system. First I have to find the magma though. Then I'm not sure how I'll handle the transport/routing of said magma: pump stack, or piston? I'll probably go with a stack, since using a piston to get "that much lava" up to where I want it would be... gruelingly slow. So why do I want to build a casting system that could cast an entire z-level at once? Because I want engraved obsidian walls! Oh, and then I want to "insulate" the entire thing in magma...

And in other news, the bodies continue to pile up on the surface, and my masons&engravers have plenty of work cutting and engraving memorial slabs... That list of "The Bugged Dead" also will probably continue to grow. I suspect it is connected to my method of handling migration waves: set the dwarves' custom profession at appearance, before they even path off the map edge... Although I'm unsure as to why I don't have a much larger list. It may be the thing that leads to this fortress's demise, long before any other external/internal sources of fun pose any significant threat...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29982 on: July 06, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »

The merchants made their yearly visit, but suddenly they started milling about strangely. I was just observing the seasonal cart patrol (circular minecart course, once per season ordered to "ride always", gets switched off after six to seven circles around the depot), so i soon found the reason - a great cloud of smoke rising from a wagon next to the magma moat. I _guess_ the merchant tried to take the up ramp directly adjacent to the moat, and somehow managed to dip the back of the wagon inside. Silly dwarf, we could have told him that wagon wood isn't magma-safe, and we wouldn't have paid for a load of magma _from our own moat_ anyway. Dwarf and wagon went up in flames, and the rest of the traders turned on their heels and left. Great, no trade this year. Now we had to dump all the old rags on the refuse pile one by one. For the belongings left behind by the burned merchant, we built a dedicated minecart route, right to the lip of the volcano. After a little thought, a track stop was installed there. Dumping the cart along with the trader junk would have been stylish, but we would have needed to drag up a replacement cart. Observing the results was quite satisfying, but getting there was a terrible chore - dwarfs seem to hate loading minecarts with a passion. They took a whole season packing up maybe thirty items. The slab lists the wagon, which burned in the autumn of 262, as being 'born' in 48. That's some pretty durable handiwork by the wagonmakers.

The combination of a volcano with an aquifer is quite nice - i've 1000 water power for some more minecart playing and a nice wide track of pressurised magma plumbing that can release tonnes of fun on the surface, although so far i've only used it to turn one of the frozen ponds into a lava pond and cast some obsidian.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29983 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:23 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 134, Spring of 323 (Fortress Year 72)

Tragedy struck throughout the fortress when 2 well-liked citizens, Mayor Onol Lanterngaze and Ingiz Neutraloiled, passed away from old age.  With the deaths so soon after the loss of Dewboy II Lanterngaze to troglodytes, Bembul Earthennourishes went insane and was promptly slain by nearby soldiers.  The majority of the fortress became quite upset at these developments, forcing the nobility to halt all major projects.  Dragon tamer Meng Roughwhips was elected as interim mayor during this troubled time.  Time will tell if he can help King Urist and Duke Phyllite calm the masses before riots break out.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29984 on: July 06, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »

well, i asked for a siege, i finally got one. great timing too, the elven merchant had just arrived to trade.

i could have let the elves die, but they had a giant dingo which may be useful in the future.

the goblin forces included two axemen squads, a troll squad, a master lasher and an axe lord.

my marksdwarf squads came in handy this time. by the time they reached my fort, most had been incapacitated by bolts. only the lasher and the axe lord remained unharmed. the former was trapped in a cage while the latter gave my hammerdwarf a broken foot before dying. it was a brilliant massacre with no casualties, though my hammerdwarf may eventually die of an infection.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 1997 1998 [1999] 2000 2001 ... 3842