Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124281 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28020 on: February 28, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »

That second one was a hammer. And hammers are just heavier maces, which means maces are cheap ripoff hammers.
More specifically, it was a waahammaah. And no, maces were the improvement of the hammer against an era of heavy armour. Hammers were the first tools Umans used for warfare. Thus hammers are the most humanly weapon of all.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28021 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »

That second one was a hammer. And hammers are just heavier maces, which means maces are cheap ripoff hammers.
More specifically, it was a waahammaah. And no, maces were the improvement of the hammer against an era of heavy armour. Hammers were the first tools Umans used for warfare. Thus hammers are the most humanly weapon of all.
Hammers are heavier, and therefore deal more damage, according to the way combat works. There's no current system for weapons designed to penetrate armor. Maces may have come later in history, but hammers are still more devastating, especially because dwarves aren't likely to be fighting heavily armored knights as much as things made of metal. Hammers do what they do better than maces, which is the causing of internal injuries.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28022 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »

Hammers are heavier, and therefore deal more damage, according to the way combat works. There's no current system for weapons designed to penetrate armor. Maces may have come later in history, but hammers are still more devastating, especially because dwarves aren't likely to be fighting heavily armored knights as much as things made of metal. Hammers do what they do better than maces, which is the causing of internal injuries.
Currently. Just you wait till lines of Teutonic Knights ride against Dwarf Fortress. Then the Umans shall know why they fear the mace.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28023 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:04 pm »

Currently. Just you wait till lines of Teutonic Knights ride against Dwarf Fortress. Then the Umans shall know why they fear the mace.
Or the brave Teutonic Knights will realize that Serrated Disks are rather more dangerous than maces.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28024 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:31 pm »

The Autumn Caravan has left, and Thundertraded is up to 14 dwarves. The Outpost Liason has been faced with a massive request for imports, ranging from gold bars to kangaroo milk to limestone to honey badger leather.

Given the abundance of plump helmets and the large purchase of food, I am going to run booze production until either barrels run out, or plump helmets run out. Despite being in a desert and marsh region, we have more than enough wood for barrel production.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28025 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43:48 pm »

Over the last three migrant groups, I have gained great livestock
Partly due to my dislike of having to wait for an exotic trainer (Not all have been edited, just a choice few), I have gained these:
Giant Toad Male
Giant Cave Spider Female
Giant Olm Female
A Horse Foal Female
A Yak Calf Female
A Keet Female
A Chick Female
The list goes further, but I am happy I learned Migrants bring pets
The horse foal will have to go, as a female horse is already present

I am now trying to figure out if giant olms, and GCS's need nest boxes to breed
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28026 on: February 28, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Razorfists just repelled a largish siege.  Five squads of goblin cavalry and two supporting half-squads of war animals.  176 invaders coming on at one time.  They swarmed into the access tunnels, lost some mounts to cage traps, entered an open area, and got blasted by twenty-four trained marksdwarves sited ten squares away behind fortifications.  Between the hail of metal bolts and the occasional spiked ball trap on the winding route towards an open gate almost the entire invading force was annihilated.  A few stragglers were rousted out of the tunnels by the melee squads and those caught in the cage traps were pitted for later disposal.

Clean-up and hauling of corpses, equipment, and spent bolts is expected to take a few months.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28027 on: February 28, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

Turns out the Kobolds have not just dug, turns out I am learning how the caves work
Their cave has always been this deep. They weren't fleeing, just, this was their home
And it extends to a cavern.
The kobolds have a lot of loot

This is more a successful kobold cave than I thought
Top side, tons of tiny trinkets, cat leather earrings
Cinnabar crowns, large gems, fine pewter figurines of saltwater crocodiles, and other wonderful valuables

Now I still need to tame them
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28028 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:54 pm »

My hunter just oneshotted a GCS.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28029 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »

The first breeding (and +Trained+) pair of elephants has been released into their new enclosure, and hopefully I see a calf born in a few season's time.

A pair each of axe, sword, and spear dwarves has begun training, and 4 each hammer and marks dwarves also are set to train and get ready for the ambushes that should surely be arriving soon, in an attempt to claim a pretty cool artifact, a morion flask with an image of the founding of the fortress worth 72000 dwarfbucks.

The animal traps will most likely catch several ambushes that try to sneak in, so at least I will have an early warning system that doesn't need to be replenished as often, especially with all this dangerous dust flying around. One foolish miner decided to take a break on the surface, and was lost to the dust. At least the marble dining room and statue pathways are keeping the general mood high.

EDIT: Oh, and an armorer possession on my cook has resulted in a bismuth bronze helm. It has been issued to one of the starting seven, who is one of the axedwarves in training.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:46:42 pm by Lich180 »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28030 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:16 pm »

Recently, a tantruming dwarf punched another one in the head to hard that the second dwarf died in one hit. However, this first dwarf was my legendary woodworker, meaning no unfortunate accident for him.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28031 on: March 01, 2013, 12:45:08 am »

My original expedition leader was just killed by a troglodyte

I am curious about the number of statues I had made, because I wanted to prepare for the next caravan

Most are of blind cave ogres striking down elves, or being stricken down later by elves

Around 6 are of the expedition leader, and in very flattering manners
Such as observing figurines
In tunics
It makes me suspect somedwarf had a crush
And now I want to cry

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28032 on: March 01, 2013, 05:37:19 am »

Glacialhell goes well, fare from the once desolate glacier. Monuments now rice, carved either from ice or built from rough bricks of it.

The caverns provide, and now many draltha and mole dogs have been born.
Platinum is in ample supply
Magma is used in the forges

And the humans have a demon leading them. Welp, I know what I need to do to that when it shows up. Let's start a war!

EDIT: Well, upon inspection out of bordom and wanting to see what I'd be up against, the first example of demonic entity on my map?

Brine Spirit. They're made of salt. And have nonthreatening spittle.

This'll be easy. <- To be said in a Stonghold Maceman's voice

Pillowtap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • This is my youtube channel.
« Reply #28033 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:33 am »

I'm planing to create a massive above ground city. I'm going to try and make it look really fancy with roads, buildings connected by sky-bridges, aqueducts cutting through certain portions of the city, elevated railway tracks and all sorts of other stuff.  Unfortunately all I have right now is a wagon surrounded by a wooden wall. The most exciting thing happening is a few goblin ambushes running into my cage traps. I'm stockpiling goblins to perform later in my coliseum against wild animals or anything else I can capture to entertain my blood thirsty dwarves. I would like to surround my city in a big glass dome to make it look like some sort of futuristic bio-dome and to keep my dwarves safe from flying baddies.
I'm doing a interactive Dwarf Fortress LP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6l1otLWJSY

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28034 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:48 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
Having heroically broken the last measly siege (one goblin squad, mounted leader) via traps, the Glacial Trumpets have enjoyed a period of relative tranquility, broken only by the attack of a werezebra, some crundles and the discovery of admantine. Praise the miners!

However, not to be undone, the goblins are back. And now they want blood!

24th of Timber.
A large number of goblin squads have arrived. Unfazed by the snow storm outside their large mounts carry them all towards the entrance. The tocsin has been rung, and all workers are running towards the entrance, leaving the frozen ocean behind them,  maybe for a very long time.

25th of Timber.
The drawbridge is raised. The first echoes of warhorns are heard. Large footsteps approach...
Life goes on in the fortress.

26th of Timber.
The militia is waiting at the exit of the Trap Snake. This first defense is incomplete, but it will do for now.

1st of Moonstone.
Stalemate.
The Troll frontline has been caged or killed. The rest of the onslaught has been stopped but not defeated by picks, serrated disks, spears and hammers hidden in the walls. Our fearless leader is considering mining the adamantine and outfitting soldiers with weapons forged from this prodigious metal in order to break the siege.
For the dwarves as well as the goblins, this will be the longest winter.

10th of Moonstone.
Curses! The traps have jammed!
The fortress has been sealed. It is self-sufficient, but how long before Armok's wishes bring it down?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:36:51 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 3842