Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 [1871] 1872 1873 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978712 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28050 on: March 02, 2013, 04:22:42 am »

Barely survived a seige and two ambushes and now it looks like the whole gobbo civ has arrived, complete with a figity noseless sloth demon.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28051 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:46 pm »

So, losing her entire left arm doesn't seem to have slowed my baroness down a bit. She's now got a handful of elves and two forgotten beasts notched on her hammer. I'd credit her for two more FBs, but those kills got stolen. This resulted in one bad ass named war dog that I will assign to her.

Metalsnakes is also now the proud host of a captive Giant Cave Spider! After copying the silk farm design from the wiki I now have the means to clothe everyone in masterwork silk clothes. Too many dwarves walking around in tattered rags right now. Is there any quicker way to isolate all the damaged clothes for easy disposal?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #28052 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:08 pm »

I just barely finished my legendary Dining hall!

But than my dumb miner got diggermortis and started to dig randomly and flooded my Dining hall any sugestions???

How big is the flow where the leak is coming from? Is it exhaustible (i.e. not a river/ocean etc)?

If so, I'd advice you to dig a "drain" (stairs) to lead the water downwards, quickly, and at the end of that drain mine out large reservoirs to take the surplus water. That saved me when I got an overflowing well, but that was a source of water I could control (only happened because I forgot to close the floodgates), so there wasn't THAT much water.

Otherwise I have no idea how to handle it, except perhaps from trying to wall it in, which might be tricky if the water is flowing in fast. Maybe a combination of drain (to slow it down) and walls would do the trick? And remember that locked doors functions as cheap floodgates, has been a life saver for me when I've experienced flooding (at least for my miners, to let them have an escape route once the reservoirs are mined).
    ok so it was a river and luckily i built a floodGate befor it flooded my hole fort but i still what that dinning hall so i will try your suggestionthanks for the help ;)   
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28053 on: March 02, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »

Just had the first field test of my new defence mechanisms, and it worked wonders!

The goblins and trolls flowed down my trap-filled hallway and were cut down quickly by the weapon traps. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the stone-fall traps I had added mostly as a filler did a wonderful job as well! They didn't damage the invaders much, but they did make them fall down into the ditch I had made.

In fact, the system worked so well, the invaders didn't even reach my shooting galleries!

I'm getting a bit tired of this fortress now to be honest, been almost 7 years now, and everything is getting a bit... dull. Thinking of scrapping it, one way or another.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28054 on: March 02, 2013, 01:40:56 pm »

A titan attacked. Flew right over the walls around the exterior farm plot and killed my prized deer buck, and promptly went on to murder a militiadwarf which showed up to eliminate it. This was a web-spinner, so it was far from easy to take out, but now that it's down it left a huge mess all over the outdoor farm plots which I am exploiting as our rare, limited-addition silk thread. I had a hell of a time keeping everyone from rushing up there and trampling all the webs, though. Nearly all of them have been lost anyway.

And then a dragonman ambush shows up. A few were caught in cage traps, and a few turned into salsa. Today is a fine day for Armok worshipers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:47:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28055 on: March 02, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »

In several of my forts, I have had migrants from the previous few. How can I tell? They bear horrific physical and mental scars from clowns and goblins.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28056 on: March 02, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »

I've recreated Boatmurdered's Project: F--- The World in Amberfrost.

Magma is being pumped out of the volcano and is pouring down the mountainside. I'll kill that necromancer if it's the last thing I do.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28057 on: March 02, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »

The Dwarves of Gorgeclashed have finally found a use for the huge numbers of Trolls captured during Goblin sieges.

Goblin prisoners are thrown into a 1 square pit around 5 z levels deep, typically suffering no injures. A troll is thrown in afterwards, and thus utilises the "Goblin emergency pillow technique" to amusing effect :D

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28058 on: March 02, 2013, 05:56:40 pm »

I am now the proud owner of ten captured enemy Cave Dragon war mounts.
Let the military training begin, and the survivors get engraved floors.
<issues real weapons and steel armour to the recruits>
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28059 on: March 02, 2013, 07:04:11 pm »

Construction of the marble tower goes well, with only minor interruptions to the building. Mostly just face rotting dust clouds, but occasionally there is an alert to a goblin snatcher trying to sneak through the barracks, or am ambush tripping the animal traps. I think I need a system in place to access those traps easily and quickly, especially now that the surface is crawling with ambush squads.

should be getting more Fun soon, especially after my blacksmith made a lovely golden floodgate encrusted with gems and ringed with sloth bear bone.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28060 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:00 pm »

HelpedInk has been abandoned, due to going... too well, actually. It's amazing, I've been really pissed about failing fortresses, and the minute everything goes well (sieges handled easily, lots of food and everything), it becomes boring.

So! I abandoned, and started out to pursue a dream I've had since first reading about it somewhere... Something I've dubbed "The Three Dwarves Dam"!
The plan is easy enough: Find a waterfall, stem the flow by building a dam (complete with floodgates to let some water pass through), and construct a fortress inside the dam. Simple, right?

So, I found a waterfall (with a ~10+ z-level drop), and embarked! About two months into the first try, I've found that it might be my biggest challenge yet, mostly due to terrain. I've always embarked in pretty friendly areas, with lots of trees, no aquifier, and not too much hostile wildlife.

Here, I got NO trees, aquifier and, at least, some camels that SEEMS to be non-hostile, but if there's one thing I've learned from adventure mode, it's that they are devious bastards. So not really bad, just worse than I've had before.

Gotten the river dammed up though, and will start working on the actual dam soon. There seems to be a way around the aquifier too, since the steep cliffs easily provide me with loads of accessible ore (everywhere I look, it's all Dolomite and Hematite, which is a nice touch for someone who's never found iron ore before).

So, I guess the main challenge to overcome is the lack of ore, which I guess won't be too hard once I get some trading going.

And the camels. Best not forget about those pesky camels.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28061 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:42 pm »

A Werehyena just snuck into Veiltomes and tore apart my broker/bookkeeper's skull, before gravely wounding my mechanic and tearing open the hand of my militia commander before being hacked into itty-bitty pieces by my militia.

I'm left to wonder if my militia commander and mechanic are now going to become werehyenas themselves.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28062 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:24 pm »

Axehole is going well.

With a population of 19, stuff was getting done. The miners had dug a stairwell down to the magma sea for future use, piercing two of the caverns on the way.  Now they're enlisted as a part of the masonry assemblage squad speed up the above ground building. The wooden perimeter has been completed and the two war dogs have successfully caught and repelled all kobolds who attempted to sneak through the chokepoint entrance. The first floor of the fort proper is coming along now, steadily being built of limestone blocks. The two barracks flanking the chokepoint have been built and a small squad of 4 axedwarves have been training there, kitted out with full metal suits of bronze.

Whilst the caravan was here the founding mason went missing. Odd, that. His body still hasn't been found, either, and although there are some potential suspects of vampirism, there hasn't been any more missing dwarves. Yet. I'll have to keep an eye on the dorms. A holding cell for a future vampire manager has been prepared anyway.

Trading with the first caravan completed, I didn't sell too much. Just some hastily crafted limestone instruments and mechanisms. Oh, and a stack of turkey egg biscuits worth 500 Urists. Still, that shouldn't attract too many migrants, right?

...The latest migrant wave consists of 30 or so dwarves. FUUUUUUU-- I'm not sure if we can feed/booze them all, and I don't like the thought of having to get more workshops up for more dwarves to work and for the first mood, and I certainly don't like the impending need to sort out who's a useful migrant and who's a hauler/military meatshield. On the bright side, more mason-slaves to help build the fort.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28063 on: March 02, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »

A Werehyena just snuck into Veiltomes and tore apart my broker/bookkeeper's skull, before gravely wounding my mechanic and tearing open the hand of my militia commander before being hacked into itty-bitty pieces by my militia.

I'm left to wonder if my militia commander and mechanic are now going to become werehyenas themselves.

My last fort's military went through three cycles of werepantherism being passed from the dying to the killers until I got a group that resisted it and the cycle stopped.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28064 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:14 pm »

I think I have a pretty good story.

I started Woundmanor, pretty nice embark. Everything was going fine until the fire nation human necromancers attacked. I hadn't set up any defenses yet, rookie move, I know. I quickly set up a burrow for my dwarves and hoped for the best but alas only one made it to the bottom and sealed it off, everyone was being picked off one by one while Bomrek, the survivor, stayed down in the panic room. After watching the zombies pick off the remainder of animals, dwarves and unlucky rhesus macque, I realized my dwarf would need food and water soon but I noticed that after a couple of months, he wasn't showing any signs of starvation or dehydration, so I check him out. 116 years old, no thoughts of sleeping, eating or drinking, completely fine. The one survivor of the undead siege was a vampire, I assumed that because vampires are undead and the zombies are undead, they wouldn't attack him. I made him deconstruct the wall that was sealing him in and assigned him to my now defunct archer squad, he grabbed the nearest crossbow and started bashing zombies and necromancers left and right, he became a elite marksdwarf without even having to use bolts.

After wiping out the zombies, I got a migrant wave despite the danger and decided, hell, might as well turn them into vamps too. They didn't get the chance, some more necromancers got in and reanimated the bodies before I had a chance to make a blood well, I didn't want to go through that long process again so I abandoned.
Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 [1871] 1872 1873 ... 3839