Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1802 1803 [1804] 1805 1806 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121549 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27045 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »

Uhh...

I think my forgotten beast made of water just drowned... In water...
What???? I thought FB were supposed to be immune to drowning???

Some aren't quite so fortunate to have total immunity to everything. After all, if they didn't breath air, they wouldn't need lungs except as vestigial targets in combat.

It's always fun when you manage to wreck and FB's lungs and get a spinal injury on that leaves it flopping on the floor while a mace dwarf beats it senseless :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27046 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »

Engrave him a memorial slab, and you're good.

Eh, he's stuffed in a box instead. I've got plenty of other ghosties to slab.

The fortress is now 13 years old. The oldest child is 11. Soon, the first generation of native-born children will come of age, and take on the responsibilities of their (mostly dead) parents. While the dingo people... hang out and attempt to get their breeding faces on. Only one or two friendships have been made after a year of standing around with no real jobs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27047 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

... While the dingo people... hang out and attempt to get their breeding faces on. Only one or two friendships have been made after a year of standing around with no real jobs.
Sounds like a job for Captain Alcohol !  8)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27048 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:22 pm »

Worksavants got a decent migrant wave, bringing the population from 10 or 15  or so to 38 total dwarfs. Everyone has been assigned a place and named accordingly; it feels pretty good actually having some idea of what each dorf should be doing and why. We actually got a group of useless haulers to haul junk around! :D

We also got several squads set up, and now we're waiting for the masons to carve some blocks for building the aboveground barracks and fortress outer walls and gate. While the dedicated dagger squad is waiting for some daggers to be forged, someone got a bit too frisky while wrestling and threw their spar partner too hard. The dorf shattered his arm, but thankfully there's no open wounds; we don't have the soap made yet.

On the bright side, the doctors got a patient to torture work on.

The spore man has been sealed in with the timberyard, and now we're waiting for some armor and bolts be made for the crossbow squad to shoot the sporeman to death and reclaim the timberyard.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27049 on: December 21, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »

Started a fort in a terrifying biome, reletively peaceful beyond the constant deluges of Haunting murk that zombifies anything it touches.

I'm working on a medical facility right now that will feature some nice holding pens for science with the dust, as well as allow for experimentation with regards to killing or harnessing these creatures for productive uses. Magma might not kill them quickly, I'm not sure, so I might as well outfit the rooms with a carbonite system instead of just a magma dump.

Been about a year since I played, so much to relearn, so much science to do.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27050 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01:52 am »

So... I've actually got enough beds for all my dwarves, which a lot like having a dwarf die of old age, is a surprise for me.  Impresses the heck outta me especially since I also finished getting them all cabinets.  Shame it's doing nothing for morale on a few important dwarves, including some very special military, since for some reason they are also unhappy despite nothing going wrong.  No deaths, nothing is unclean, most of my fort is smooth/engraves, I got a zoo, statue gardens, golden thrones and thrones, plenty of work to go around, and I even let my military off duty to try and get their moods up to no avail.  I'm somewhat close to using dfhack to remove their bad thoughts since I can find no source for the cause.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27051 on: December 22, 2012, 01:21:59 am »

The smelters are working full tilt, the gold bars are flowing like water, I just bought all the food the traders had to offer (including cheese), and the elite cook squad is assembling in the kitchens. Time to turn this rat infested hell hole into the rat infested food and gold production capitol of the world!
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27052 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

Busy year so far in Shadeswords.  Another change in the owner of the mayor's office as well.  (Back to making figurines.)

Goblins visited in the spring.  Four goblin cavalry squads invited into the approach tunnels and Kill Box.  They decided to become permanent residents of the corpse dump.  (All sixty-four of them - first time I've managed to completely wipe out all the goblins in a larger siege in a while.  Only got half the support creatures though - one weapon trap on the surface took out seven giant cave spiders before jamming.   We also got some meat slaughtering mount corpses before they started to rot.)

Another goblin visit in the summer.  Smaller siege, and it turned messy when they and some giant cave swallows they brought opted to chase peregrine falcons around rather than enter the tunnels and die efficiently.  The swallows chased down and killed four falcons, then discovered that the neat tunnel leading below contained spear dwarves and marksdwarves.  The goblin cavalry forces (three squads) got off lightly - only 50% casualties.  Some killed in a tunnel, while a squad that was wandering around the surface got too close to a bunker.  It got shot up from there, and then hit from two directions at once by a well-timed rush of melee squads.

Got a nice steel weapon artifact.  But no one in the fort is trained to use maces.   :(

Cleaning up now by collecting goblinite and spent bolts for melting down.  Some lingering miasma in the tunnels from goblin bits about still.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27053 on: December 22, 2012, 02:15:40 am »

The dwarven traders arrived at the same time as two goblin ambushes, headed by some human crossbowmen. Very multi-racial.  The traders were killed, and the goblins ran after the humans minced themselves in the traps.

Although after a season of looting the dead, we did find the the baby Thob, who had been noticed being rather thirsty in the dining room, and who had been missing for a week, or at least it's dehydrated body just outside the dining room. How anyone missed it is beyond me. Given that Thob's parents are the militia commander and Cog, the one-armed mayor, this should play out well.

And despite setting the fort population limit to 50, we just hit 84 and have been made a barony... Time to get a military trained...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Helgrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27054 on: December 22, 2012, 03:21:36 am »

And despite setting the fort population limit to 50, we just hit 84 and have been made a barony... Time to get a military trained...
I don't think population limit works when set below 100 for some reason.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27055 on: December 22, 2012, 07:44:21 am »

Despite some stumbling over the lack of booze following an immigrant wave of doom, I'm churning our iron barrels and filling them with booze. all the wood I bought is being made into beds. The Third year will see the arrival of the very first bedrooms to the fort!

I'm doing better than usual with my management, and only have about 10 idlers when things are all running. The farms, booze, kitchen, and farmers workshops buzz with activity, quarry bushes being made into leaves quickly and with little fuss. I've got high quality prepared meals are rolling out of the kitchens, to feed the droves of of dwarves currently stripmining a Z-level
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27056 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:42 am »

Hail to the king!
After having played DF for 4 years I got my first king today.  :)   (I start a new 'main fort' with each release, so my former forts didn't mature enough before now.)

As an added bonus then he is NOT a vampire,, and by pure luck then my appointed champion turns out to be a son of the king, so there is a prince who (in contrast to reality) earned his position.  8)

I uploaded the current map:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11521-wheelauthors-waterfall
The next projects will be to make shrines for the 3 religions the king worships.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27057 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:24 am »

Worksavants got a new migrant wave. It seems I just got done organizing the last one! FUUUUUUUU-

We're at 47 dwarves now.

Before that, the elven traders arrived. We traded booze and prepared meals for cloth and some mithril anvils and some berries too.

In other news, we had our first artifact. One of our dagger-wielding dwarves of the legion withdrew from society and crafted "Minedgroove," a limestone baritone. It is encrusted with oval limestone cabochons and round brilliant cut emerald. It menaces with spikes of limestone. On the item is an image of a mill. Apparently mills are pretty groovy.

The forges are working constantly to produce enough sets of copper armor for our squads. thankfully we got 4 titled "metalheads" working the furnaces and forges constantly, so there should be no lack of metal bars.

The marksdwarf squad strangely won't grab any bolts when stationed to shoot at the sporeman. This might be because not everyone has quivers, but you'd think at least 3 of them would, considering I embarked with them. I know I have bone bolts made, the marksdorfs are using them to hunt at the moment.

The militia commander still hasn't recovered from his episode with the sporeman. According to his health screen he is paralyzed, cannot stand or grasp, is winded, and cannot breathe. It's a wonder he's survived until this long if he can't even breathe. Truly he is figure of admiration among the military for his tenacity and endurance! Shame he's still completely bedridden.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27058 on: December 22, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »

Bronzeprophets is a place of violence and death. 60 unfortunate dwarves remain alive and cower within its walls, with 20 of them soldiers (10 mace, 10 crossbows). As the name suggests, we have grown rich on the production of many thousands of bronze weapons and armour sets. This has attracted unwanted attention of a variety of sources, but none so deadly as the minotaurs. 3 in quick sucession have thinned out my military recruits quite badly. Of note is the as of yet unidentified vampire that seems to like feeding in the barracks.
This is a blank sig.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27059 on: December 22, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »

Killed the prick sporeman and reclaimed the materials from the timberyard. now we're waiting for more blocks to rebuild the timberyard and restart the charcoal industry.

We lost the militia commander, it seems the sporeman's continued life was the only thing keeping him alive; kill one, and the other finally suffocates. We also lost an unlucky militia dwarf or too who were paralyzed by the spores and suffocated.

Worksavants just drove off its first goblin ambush, with thankfully few casualties. We weren't completely prepared, but thanks to the hammergolem we stationed out front at the chokehold they were driven away. The goblin archers near pissed themselves and fled before the hulking metal mass that rushed out to play some goblin baseball.

The golem got pretty beat up, but it's still ticking. An unfortunate crossbow dorf and a daggeruser happened to be outside at the time of the ambush. The golem saved the crossbowdorf from too much abuse, aside from getting a foot shot off and taking an arrow to the groin(ouch), but the daggerdorf was the target of a hail of silver arrows. Both survived so far, the daggerdorf thanks to his standard issue wood kite shield which he used to block most of the arrows.

Daggerdorf isn't looking too good though, he has numerous cuts and he got his entire left arm shot off. His squad mates are hauling him to the hospital, but I still don't think we've made any soap. He's "very slow to tire and tough" though, so there's hope. He's being promoted from Daggerpup to Daggerdog due to his unflinching resolve in the face of a storm of arrows and his resourcefulness with a shield, but he may or may not use a shield ever again, y'know, if he even survives.

Pages: 1 ... 1802 1803 [1804] 1805 1806 ... 3842