Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1803 1804 [1805] 1806 1807 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121345 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27060 on: December 22, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »

The farms of the Bronzemark, which are inadequate for 200-odd dorfs and have been inadequate from about the time they were first furrowed some 10 years ago, are finally being moved down a couple of levels (to where the rest of the workshops are) and enlarged enough to feed and boozify everyone for what could be the rest of the fort's life (barring any sudden floods, unusually large sieges, dragons, etc etc).

Also, I probably should work on having more that 30 of 200 dorfs in the military - but 70 (about a third of my total population!) are still childrens or babies. Somehow, two of the dorf childs appear to be legendary at something. Need to check that out if I remember.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27061 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

A fort that sits on the border of a Terrifying biome, appropriately named Gorespun, has been founded.

Contrary to the citizens' expectations, there were no deathly-terrifying monsters and creatures, other than a wolverine that was dealt with by the point of a bolt. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Until it started raining Elf blood.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27062 on: December 22, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »

Last half of the year in Shadeswords similar to the first - seasonal goblin visits. 

Autumn siege was smaller, but turned in part into a running melee on the surface as the castle garrison chased stragglers from a few goblin squads that were not in tunnels.  This included goblin archers, so the melee units advanced in small rushes so as not to engage a large number of archers at once.  This went pretty well, though one axe lord was carted off to the hospital with a fractured shoulder.  (Good prognosis - no infection or nerve damage.)  The goblins in the tunnels fared as poorly.  Their main attack was blunted by having a mine cart full of pointy iron shot in their faces.   Marksdwarves and a charge by a squad of axe dwarves cleaned up the survivors.

Winter siege was four squads of cavalry with some giant rats in support.  The initial archer attack was shot up by the marksdwarves.  The follow-up assault by three other squads was sealed in, shot full of bolts, and then the stragglers hunted down in the tunnels and slaughtered.  Sixty goblins killed in that one, and three magma furnaces are working full-time to melt down goblin armor and single bolts.

An off-duty axe lord got a mood and made an artifact iron crossbow.  Since the captain of the guard already has one the leader of the #2 marksdwarf squad was issued this weapon.

Be interesting to see if the goblins make it five seasons in a row with launching a siege attempt.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27063 on: December 22, 2012, 11:48:56 pm »

No underground sees in embark or trader... I'm hurting for food may have to turn to hunting...
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27064 on: December 23, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

Most recent siege of goblins arrives at my fort and find their way into my new trap hall.
First goblin: Isn't this too easy?  shouldn't there be, you know traps?
Second goblin: stupid dwarves probably forgot to build them.
Third goblin: Easy loot is easy. Lets ransack the place.
Urist McLeverpuller snickers  *click*
First goblin: what was that?
Second Goblin: The drawbridge blocking those fortifications just lowered prepare to face archers!
Third goblin: Do those archers look like dragons to anybody else?
All goblins: *Bleep!*

Much fire ensues.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27065 on: December 23, 2012, 10:26:26 pm »

Worksavants just had a small raid by giant hornets. Ironically, our Keeper of Bees who had so far failed to do any honey harvesting despite having ten hives of ready-to-be-split -honey-bees suffered terribly at the hands of the giant bee-like insects. He died.  Our legiondorf Daggerpup recruit came to the rescue out of nowhere and joined the beat-up golem in the bug hunt going full swig in the front entrance. We drove them off and the dead insects are being taken to be butchered.

Sadly, we lost the Keeper of Bees, may his lazy soul's beard be tormented by bees and hornets ever more. The only other war dog got pretty torn up and is now passing in and out of consciousness. Thankfully, we got a stray puppy all grown up to replace him.

In other news, our metalhead smiths keep complaining how there's no fuel. "Shaddup, you idiots, we got the timberyard up again and working on tearing up some scrapwood for charcoal. Go bang your heads on some copper and make some armor!"

The dwarves won't use the well, I guess it's too far down. Oh well, enjoy the dirty water and infectious water-born parasites and diseases, you brainless beardies.

The newly promoted daggerdog who got his arm shot off is still faint, and has multiple infections. He's back on his feet though, and he seems to be in a good mood. Still, I fear infection will be a serious issue in this fort.

Lastly, we're looking into setting up an automated minecart grinder to set up at the entrance for some dorf frogger. Whether or not we ever come close to completing it depends on if our smiths can arm our military in a decent amount of time to save us from the next ambush. Also if I can wrap my head around the science of perpetual minecart propulsion and minecart related stuff.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #27066 on: December 23, 2012, 11:56:49 pm »

The confinement to Silversands was too much for the diplomat to handle; before the seige broke, his mind did. He is currently naked, save for a cloak, with over 8 combat log pages of leaping off a small hill.

I am sending a missive to the Mountainhomes requesting they limit superhero comic publications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27067 on: December 24, 2012, 12:26:03 am »

Coboltlens in still chugging along on a rather boring glacier...

The foundry on z-level -18 has been producing sufficient metals that I'm making platinum and gold bins to free up storage space; the mayor is happy with the platinum statue of a large roach in his dining room, so much so he's over the death of his baby (thirst, in the dining room) and his wife (vampire); a ghostly macedwarf is getting violent with her hauntings, and I can't engrave anything to her, as I have no idea who she is or where she came from, but she's not one of mine; a dwarven trading caravan finally made it through the seasonal assaults, whereby assorted races rush up to the outer traps, then run away; sea otters commit suicide on the traps too.

Artefacts are; two earrings (Liontwisted the Safety of Violence the more notable); a ring (Riddledphrases); a green glass bracelet; a mug; a sphalerite drum and a magnetite door. At least the door can't be used partying...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27068 on: December 24, 2012, 12:45:50 am »

I'm playing aboveground fort now.

Launch tests has finished very bad for me. For my expendable dorfs, actually. There were 6 dorfs with lask of skills and attributes so that they cannot be military dwarves. They are haulers now and are the test objects for my doc. They were launched by the bridge and landed in the rope reed farm. It was not enough for me and I've launched them once again. Minor bruises and 2-3 bones broken was not enough!!! I launched them 3 or 4 times more and one of them died upon impact.
Other 5 went to the hospital and were cured by the doc (adequate diagnosticist now!). They are lying there and resting now.

Month later one (and only) of my woodcutters run into gobbo ambush. Lucky he is, there were squad of 6 marksdwarves near (they were trying to hit mosquito man. Noone have skill over dabbling). Unlucky for marksdwarves, they were almost naked: no one of them had any armor. I called for my speardwarves and macedwarves to come for help, but 2 archers were killed by goblins. Some of my melee soldiers sustained minor injuries, a lot of archers were injuried too. All 5 gobbos were killed. Hospital require more beds! It's overcrowded!
Now there are 14 beds in hospital.
Many dwarves are unhappy to miserable, but social aspect works well! Dwarves have a lot of free time to chat in the dining room. So, they become happy again in a short period of time. I had only 4 or 5 unhappy dwarves soon after that slaughter. But it was not everything!! 9-12 vultures showed up! They charged down to the fortress and started from interrupting jobs. All 3 squads were ordered to hold their positions on the food stock, near the entrance and marksdwarves (recruited 2-4 more migrants to aid losses!) were following these bastards! Some vultures were shoot down and killed, some hit ground sooo hard and were smashed by the war hammer or flail (bought it from human caravan!). But a lot of archers recruits were unhappy due to long patrol. 2 of  them are tantruming. One recruit punched my craftsdwarf! One severely injured launch test dwarf are tantruming while resting. And he come berserk!!! He punched to death another resting launch test dwarf (only 3 left now) and was killed by hammer squad.

Not to say I am one step from tantrum spiral. High social skills and a lot of friends helps dwarves to stay happy, but 2-3 more sudden deaths can push balance to the fortress doom.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27069 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:39 am »

So last fort went belly up quick as I turly belived there was no food in that entire world...

Anyways, now doing a bloodline game with my brother who is in the navy (Yes I know we took the name to literal huh?)

I'm starting out, its now summer, the trade depot is up and rooms are being mad.

Looks good except i hit "just play" but the rule is you cant change once we start so I'm stuck with two fish dwarfs...
great
by the time he gets it he will have 30 or so dwarfs but I'm more or less stuck with 5 good dwarfs.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Urist McXenu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27070 on: December 24, 2012, 02:41:40 am »

Note to self: Remember when tapping a brook to make a cistern, one needs a floodgate to stop it. A well dinna work so well.

./sigh

Really should have known better there, and I was just getting the hang on quantum minecart piles too :(

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27071 on: December 24, 2012, 02:51:49 am »

I broke both arms of my founding mason with a minecart. Gotta remember to remove the "push when full" problem, and remember to make the track stop auto-dump!

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27072 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:15 am »

Almost through the first year in Gorespun. Most of the buildings and infrastructure has been set up. Miners have dug down to magma, and fortunately, LOADS of obsidian and a magma shaft has been found protruding through the first cavern. Hematite has been found, so an Iron industry will most likely begin soon.

Elf blood has been raining constantly throughout the year, though corpses have not been "turning". Generally, the surroundings are calm, other than the occasional coyote and Eagle Men/Women. Kea Men were stealing shields, but nothing of value. Thank Armok.

Winter is upon us, and it is now raining Elf Blood Snow.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27073 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:31 am »

Dammit!  I just upgraded my drowning chamber, alloing it to fill three times as fast, and installing both an atomsmasher, and a retractable bridge to drain the water, when I was hit with a seige.  I held off the first wave at the cost of my squad of marksdwarves and all of my cage traps.  I opened the gates to allow the remaining goblins access to the drowning chamber (fortuitously causing a convenient elf-slaughter as well), when my dwarves streamed out of the fortress to collect assorted flotsam.

Naturally, the goblins immediately charged the entrance.  I lacked sufficient time to close the bridges to the drowning trap.  They made short work of my hastily-raised militia and gained entrance to the fort.  I think I will reclaim this one.  It was in too good a spot.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27074 on: December 24, 2012, 09:47:48 am »

I've sort of completed my outside defenses, now.  I have a wall running around about half the map.  Simply crammed with trees, four layers of soil and a one layer aquifer below that.  To the west are wickedly steep cliffs, that run up to a volcano. Stone isn't a problem.  I haven't bothered tried to pierce the the aquifer yet.  The west side of the map goes straight down to the magma sea, no aquifer.

Oodles of minerals, in a calm environment. I'm still trying to learn how to get things done effectively and wanted a good embark with all the resources easily available.  This strategy has worked wonders, I recommend it to other new players, that are frustrated with getting frapped.

Of course, it didn't help that I kept entirely abandoning after every single embark and building a new world.  Facepalm stupid right there.  On the other hand, idiocy had a side bennie on this occasion.  I have this really slow computer, so waiting through world gen was excruciating.  Until I started reading the Wiki while I waited...

I have a bunch of 2x3 bridges setup in an eight wide strip running around the outside of the map.  Not all the way around there are like 50 z levels of cliffs, lots of channeling.  I use the bridges to isolate sieges so that my simple military - which amounts to

"Go kill those goblins! Yes, Urist, without weapons and armor"

{Oh my god! How did they get inside my walls? Must be a dammed bug (Nope they walked out onto your walls from a z-level up and down the track ramp(s!) you conveniantly left for them, but forgot were actually, you know, ramps... Clever goblin bastards...) Why do I keep putting off learning about alerts? }

I've played this embark a lot and my dwarves kept getting getting pincushioned from the cliffs by gobbo ranged attacks.  I tried a whole bunch of stuff, a big-ass wall.  De-ramping the entire map, (what a pain in the ass that was, stranding dumb ass miners left, right up and down.)  Finally I just channeled the edges back until the valley floor was outside of the 20 tile range of archers, and isolate the level at the top.  Workes great.  Time consuming.  Haven't had to deal with flyers yet, except for buzzards.  I plan to have everyone run inside... you know once I bother to learn about alerts and burrows...

Anyway the bridges are really cool.  Since my military sucketh so badly the bridges allow me to let just a couple of bad guys in at a time. Or simply isolate them in a small section whilst my dwarves run about the rest of the map.  Then my wrestlers swarm 'em and punch their skulls right through their brains.

Funny to watch.  Especially enjoy the occassonal spray of teeth...

I've got a couple of mist generators, a legendary dining room and everyone gets a nice big room.  So I don't really care if dwarves get killed. In fact, too many dwarves is a problem (my sucky computer), so my outside dwarves get poked, prodded, bludgeoned, magmaed,  you know... while the inside dwarves eat cake.

All so that I can play with water cannons.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:13:42 am by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.
Pages: 1 ... 1803 1804 [1805] 1806 1807 ... 3842