Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1773 1774 [1775] 1776 1777 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123843 times)

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26610 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:58 pm »

I've been working on my fort for a couple of years, steel industry is up and running, enough copper armor and steel blades/silver hammers for an army that should be recruited soon. Haven't had any ambushes so far, so the fort's defenses consisted of a long underground hallway of cage traps and an alternate entrance that can be sealed. Decided to dig a pit on either side of the hallway and line it with weapon traps so that enemies will fall in... Forgot about the aquifer. Four brave miners drowned that day; one of their spouses tantrumed and killed a peasant. Was beat within an inch of his life. Just when I though things were going to get better, I accidentally opened a hole to the farm level, 1 Z-level below the surface. While my mason ran to floor over the hole, a bunch of bird men flew in and murdered a number of puppies and even a baby. Destroyed them and sealed the hole, but many dwarves are now unhappy...

Other than that, things are going well. I have enough rooms in the first rocky level above the aquifer for all the surface dwarves (wood cutters/carpenters, hunters, farmers, etc). Once I finish carving doors and building beds, I'll dig out living quarters down under the metal room for the rock/metal industry dwarves. I'll also build an above-ground castle a short distance from my fort's entrance where the military will live. The only way into the fort proper will be through the castle. Army dwarves will live and train up on the surface, along with the glass and clay industries that I hope to start soon. Food production will take place just under the surface. Then, way down past the aquifer will be the rock/metal industry level (which I plan to move all the way down to the lava level when I get the chance). If I can set up underground tree farms or find a water source big enough to mass farm underground, I might move my entire fort to the bottom, leaving only the army and traders near the surface.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26611 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:30 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention: The entrance to the fort is now protected by... The ocean. That's right; the ocean. I tapped into an estuary right by the sea and put flood gates up. If an enemy makes it into the entrance hall, they will set off hundreds of tons of water that will push them off of the bridge and into the aquifer. If they're lucky, they'll be killed by the impact. If not, they will drown.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26612 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »

Loudwhispers you sly dog you :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Also thank goodness for autosave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:16:48 pm by Fishybang »
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26613 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:22 am »

After several false starts, a lot of deconstructing and reconstructing, and a ton of muddy marble, I've built my first working DWR and mist generator!  Yay!  I'm so terrible at engineering, it's not even funny, so this is a triumph.  Due to my layout, it's very funky - I'm basically filling a small lake as the cistern under the meeting hall.  This gets pumped up a small 3-level pumpstack powered by the reactor and flows down a channel to a sprinkler system, which showers mist over the dining hall.  The dining hall has grates, through which the water and mist falls into the meeting area, which has another set of grates that drain it off back into the cistern.  My poor genomes are frantically running around with buckets trying to fill this huge thing, but once it's self-sustaining there will be mist and showers all in one!  Woot.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26614 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:27 am »

Finaly had a fort die due to !!FUN!!. It all started while building the castle, one idiot made a huge cave in killing 3 people, cue everybody throwing tantrums, and going beserk. Loudwhispers was the last to survive, Splint died trying to subdue 6 beserkers.
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26615 on: November 28, 2012, 12:56:17 am »

I hope I went out like a boss and not getting swarmed.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26616 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:04 am »

I hope I went out like a boss and not getting swarmed.

You killed 2 of them, mortaly wounded another.

EDIT: Bluntblown has been founded, it also spans AN ENTIRE FLIPPING LAKE so that if i don't feel lazy i can build my town under water.

EDIT2: Never mind, second I unpaused the game crashed :P Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:13:42 am by Fishybang »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26617 on: November 28, 2012, 02:11:57 am »

Migrants arrived while my fortress was locked up due to a tigerman siege hanging around outside the walls. The only squad we'd discovered, a hammerman squad, is loosely spread across the landscape, but one of them was right next to the migrants. I'm enlisting them in a sqaud to fight to the bitter, dorfy end. So far, only one tigerman was nearby, and one fo the migrant miners brought his pick to the fight, hacking off both his feet, then his lower legs... He bled to death there on the field, under a pile of angry dwarves, without causing any significant harm.

The others... probably will be sufficient to overwhelm the unarmed and unarmored dwarves. None of them have sufficient combat training to survive even if fully equipped.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26618 on: November 28, 2012, 04:38:57 am »

Welp... lost another fort before I really got it going.  Year 3, 95 dwarves, 20 were iron clad military with decent experience from fighting ambushes and critters in the caverns, started getting sieged every month.  Literally, every time a month passed in Year 3 I'd get sieged with anywhere between 15-30 goblins.  A few would die to the few traps I had laid out in front of my fort, they'd get in, get massacred by my military, and I'd get more battle experience and goblin goodies.  Halfway through the year I found a magma pool in my first cavern layer and had begun securing it by closing it off with walls, using grates so nothing would come up and attack me after I had walled it off, and began to get my mining tracks and stair cases crafted and set-up.

Then I got sieged by 60 goblins, 20 trolls, their mounts, plus they had a goblin spearmaster, swordmaster, bowmaster, hammermaster, lasher master, and a general.  Yeah, I didn't stand a chance.  They had enough bodies to clog up my traps and then tore through my fort.

I need to remember where I can turn off invasions so I stop getting killed so early in my forts as getting sieged before I'm ready is a constant occurance. :\
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26619 on: November 28, 2012, 04:47:28 am »

I need to remember where I can turn off invasions so I stop getting killed so early in my forts as getting sieged before I'm ready is a constant occurance. :\

It's in the D_init.txt file in data/init.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26620 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:03 am »

In my !!engineering!! test fortress, I started excavating an area next to the cistern for a door design I need to validate, but then I got distracted. I've been longwall mining the upper layers for hematite, lignite, flux and gold, and I decided I needed a minecart route to supply the forges. For some reason I haven't been able to determine despite triple-checking the track, carts on the descending spiral are running out of momentum and stopping after a few levels. I've had to build powered rollers to keep them going down.

Up top, I decided to build a curtain wall due to the increasing goblin activity. Caravans coming in the main entrance now go up a ramp and along a large open area (located above my refuse piles but with no line of sight) screened from the outside by walls. Marksdwarves on hills and a constructed platform nearby have a clear field of fire to anything on the platform. I'm rotating soldiers from my first-line units onto the observation points. I had a melee group patrolling the entrance, trade depot and refuse pile, but I pulled them after another incident:

Either I missed a migrant on initial screening or one of the recent migrants is a non-obvious vampire, as one of the militia was found drained of blood. The known vampire is still locked in his rooms, so it's not him. There were no witnesses, but I have some suspects among the recent arrivals. For now, though, I've formed a fortress guard from trusted long-term soldiers and have them, my reserve infantry, my knife squad and my siege operators patrolling the dormitories. !!JUSTICE!! will be done.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26621 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:12 am »

Nothing of note has happened for a few years now.

Goblins enter the grinder and leave behind their presents, merchants enter the depot and share their wealth with us, and the obsidian walls grow taller.

I think we need more masons: each floor takes a year or two to fully cover, and that's with about 40 masons (totaling a third of our population) At least this is the last floor for a while, not sure if I want the walls to be higher or not.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26622 on: November 28, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »

Because of the various horrors accosting my lawn, I didn't let the dwaren caravan back out. They went insane; a merchant and a horse went berserk and ended up on the wrong end of a giant kestrel's talons (as well as their own guards, but that's boring) and now the other merchant is trying to throw himself off a cliff. Or, rather, down the ramps leading to the new dining hall. It's pretty amusing. The liaison also tried this, from the marksdwarf perch, which is twice as high, and failed. He ended up drowning himself in a pond instead.

Good thing guards don't go loony as well...

In other news, the magma forges are now up and running, and my defense industry has begun. I'll start with iron equipment, first, because steel will take a while to produce.
The first artifact created at the new forges? A gold war hammer, produced by the ranger captain, in a fell mood. It doesn't get much better than that!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:00:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26623 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:17 pm »

I had a visit by a great green scorpion-forgotten-beast. My militia commander rushed forward to face it before the rest of the squad could catch up. The scorpion knocks him down, grabs his lower leg with one pincer, then with the other pincer grabs his helmet, takes it off its head and gently bashes my commanders own helmet straight through his brain. It did not even try to use his lethaly poisonous stinger even once...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26624 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:24 pm »

Changed a bunch of things, so embarking we go.  Found a magma pipe in the first cavern layer, which is nice.

Also, as I was embarking, I realized something - I almost never see the animals the embark screen warns about.  In fact I usually see just about everything but that animal.  I get "dingoes" a lot, but I haven't seen a dingo since...huh.  Wait, there was that merchant-bought one.  But natural wild dingoes I only saw in one of the Drunk Fortress embarks.  Instead usually it's some giant animal.  Like now.  More damned by-the-Jesus giant ravens.

I think the next big raw edit is going to be lowering the frequency of these things.
Pages: 1 ... 1773 1774 [1775] 1776 1777 ... 3842