Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1763 1764 [1765] 1766 1767 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124660 times)

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26460 on: November 11, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

The Outpost Loloktalin (Granitedrum) had a more than bad start.
I am only two months in and I am already down to 4 Dwarfs. My Axe Dwarf, the Farmer and a Stoneworker got killed by a tiger corpse and a Lion corpse with seem to like hangin out with another. And here is the big bonus of my Map, it reanimates the death. So these two buggers and 3 dead Urist`s are hanging directly in front of my door. If I get migrants I will Draft every one of them start an onslaught and bury everyone that died as swiftly as possible.
Sounds like a solid plan. Wish me luck.

Edit:
I just discovered that my anvil is still in the wagon.....  :'(

Edit2:
And it is over.
The lions left paw got in and killed one dog. I wasn`t able to stop the carnage from this point. Everytime I managed to Atom smash something another zombie appeared.
Well it was fun to watch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:32:33 pm by Bastus »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26461 on: November 11, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »

A quick tour of the dwarven city Ablelneth, "Bustbalanced.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Using quantum storage, productivity is improved and hauling distance is reduced. This are has just been finished and sorting of the forts' items has begun. (shamelessly stolen from a thread here)

A nice fractal design, every dwarf will get at least a 3x3 tomb. Nobility will get valuable statues crammed in next to them, or one of the artifact coffins our children are so fond of producing.

Another fractal design (just realized this was a massive swastika, thankfully its the "peace" one and not the other, more sinister one). I just like how this looks, everyone gets a green glass cabinet crafted by our resident legendary glassmaker, a bed, and an obsidian door for now. More furniture to be added soon.

And finally, the grand surface fort. Currently under construction, obsidian is being harvested from layers found deep underground, carved into blocks, and hauled up to the surface. This will eventually be 3z high, with room for marksdwarf patrols and sleeping areas for the military. The central tower will be the last line of defense, should an enemy manage to penetrate the central courtyard. Above ground crops are planted (sun berries!) and temporary storage for obsidian blocks rings the remaining space.

We may want to figure out a way to keep traders safe. The elves were killed by kobold ambushes, the humans by a goblin ambush. The last dwarven caravan was safe, but the liaison decided to run through the mine cart grinder while it was on. Be interesting to see what they bring us this year.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26462 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »

It seems I've discovered a strange temporal anomaly. I was going to breach an aquifer on the site of my old multi-purpose stockpile, so I moved everything elsewhere and started digging using the double-slit method. Every time I deconstructed the pump after that, items from the other stockpiles would vanish and reappear at the pump's location. Dwarves would then swarm in to grab the stuff and take it back to where it was supposed to be. I took it as a bad omen and restarted. (Actually, I'd forgotten to bring an anvil and decided it wasn't too late to start another fort).

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26463 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »

It seems I've discovered a strange temporal anomaly. I was going to breach an aquifer on the site of my old multi-purpose stockpile, so I moved everything elsewhere and started digging using the double-slit method. Every time I deconstructed the pump after that, items from the other stockpiles would vanish and reappear at the pump's location. Dwarves would then swarm in to grab the stuff and take it back to where it was supposed to be. I took it as a bad omen and restarted. (Actually, I'd forgotten to bring an anvil and decided it wasn't too late to start another fort).
That's a weird glitch with deconstruction, it happens alot with walls.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26464 on: November 13, 2012, 12:18:42 am »

I have 4 vampires trapped in my fort now.

I AM INVINCIBLE!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26465 on: November 13, 2012, 12:30:34 am »

I had a dwarf in the starting party who 'liked shortswords' and 'liked steel'. Naturally, I made him the weaponsmith and embarked on a sinister site. For the first couple of seasons, I was completely unaffected by the evil nature of the place, never once experiencing blood rain or reanimation. Being a world with high mineral prevalence, I had my first steel sword produced in mid-Autumn. The first and only weapon produced in the entire fort was masterwork, made of course by my specialized weaponsmith (who I creatively nicknamed "Steelsword"). Just  after this event, disaster struck: a zombifying cloud. My woodworker was caught in it, along with 6 war dogs and the woodworker's two pet cats. Everyone was conscripted, and Steelsword was assigned to his weapon. Unfortunately, he was a total dunce and arrived in battle before retrieving the sword. He became an elite wrestler, but the force of roughly 10 dwarves did little to stop the zombies. By the end, Steelsword and another elite wrestler were holed up in the dining hall after several failed attempts to reach the sword. He died anticlimactically of thirst, and his comrade died in a blaze of glory as I pit him against a zombie yak and four zombie war dogs. I went back in adventurer mode, and died to the yak instantly before I got inside. My second attempt was much more successful. I was able to reach the sword, still sitting in the forge, but was ambushed right outside the place by two zombie dwarves, one of which was my former woodcutter (who was nicknamed Jesus amusingly enough; I was killed by Zombie Jesus). I probably could have outrun them, but I was weighed down by 4 barrels of booze and the first attack broke my leg.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26466 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:36 am »

You must recover the sword, then find a husk cloud of your own.  Vengeance will still pobably not be yours, but it's the dwarven way to try.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #26467 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »

I 'detected' a still-hidden kobold thief!

...admittedly, that's because he was giving off a nice, big column of smoke after he got caught in the splash-damage of the dragonflame that charcoaled his friend, who did get detected. On the even-more-up side, I'm getting better at changing my designs to mitigate bursts of dragonfire; lots of U-bends and walls to prevent a direct line of fire.

So, while I may have a !!hill!!, I won't yet have a !!fort!!. It is only a matter of time, though.
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26468 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »

Feeling inspired bya thread about your toughest soldiers, I booted up Glacialhell and am reminded that my dwarves have an absolutly massive amount of animals that gotta go. Not wanting to slaughter them, I have decied I'll build a zoo in my icy shithole. Also debating on wether or not to replace my iceroad with a platinum one (Dunno how I did it but I fixed platinum to occur in clusters so I have a MASSIVE amount of platinum.) I'm still chipping away at my FIST OF RAEG that shall be the shining beacon to all if they can see through the damned snow storms, that they are walking to certain death.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26469 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

Started a new fort in a new world in Joyous Wilds because I felt like it.

First Migrant Wave.

They spawn on the other side of the major river, basically confined to a very small section of the map.

Needless to say, I needed to build a bridge for the migrants. My seven Urists took forever to actually be bothered to do it, and it took a lot of micro-management of jobs in Dwarf Therapist because they refused to do it.

This is the first wave. I kinda needed them. Some of them were actually *somewhat* useful too, one had some good farming skills, another was a good fisherman, freeing up my current one for fish-cleaning, and my current farmer for booze production.

Of course, there was also a couple of useless Dorfs, but I can put them to work.

First time I've had a mishap like this with migrants.

Funnily enough, despite all the Urists not going near the river, one of them came with 1 exp in swimming. No more, no less.

Anyway, now I have some spare Dorfs, I can get started on walling/gateing off my main enterance, and making 'Death Valley'. Put simply, a long path that will eventually drop invaders in the caverns at some point as a bridge retracts under their feet. Hopefully with some !!FUN!! waiting for them down there. Might as well make the enemies of the surface fight the foes of the underground.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:07:08 pm by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26470 on: November 13, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »

Two macedwarves with purchased flails in hand just defeated the red feathered monsterous tarantula Nguslu Perplexedmirrored The Mysterious Spider.Fitting name since it was a giant tarantula. Evidently one struck it with such force that it ripped away its trunk.

Begun work on a big zoo but I need windows, statuary, all the good stuff.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26471 on: November 13, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Free marksdwarf practice. The gobbo squads slaughtered the elven caravan, and camped up the hill by the walls. Easy targets

First siege, decided to split up. Some went down into the mine cart grinder...

And one went through the reciprocating spikes.

Lost my Original 7 Mason/Mechanic to the mine cart trap, because he decided to reload a trap at the last second. His upper spike was broken, and he suffocated soon after, right as someone came to rescue him.

Poor guy. Wasn't very well liked apparently, no one really cared that he died.

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26472 on: November 13, 2012, 08:59:28 pm »

Starting a new (modded) fortress! I'm going to play as humans, but I can't decide what civilization to play. I genned a 1050 year old world, and all but one of the human kingdoms are ruled by vampires. One of the kings is even an amphibian man vampire, who had a brief power struggle with yet another vampire amphibian man before returning to the throne. Which is pretty awesome. But! The one non-vampire led kingdom is ruled by a demon masquerading as a god. Specifically, Athrig Flightcyst the Mucus of Insights, a shrew fiend associated with depravity and writing, is masquerading as Engdul, the god of "festivals, songs, poetry, and writing." So on one hand, I have a vampire amphibian man, and on the other, a depraved "godly" demon. Choices, choices.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26473 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:59 pm »

I'd go with the demon. Application of DF Hack's dfusion can yield a badass grandmaster monk. Once had a squirrel fiend that headed my militia in one modded fort.
« Reply #26474 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:48 am »

I have a bunch of goblins/kobolds just hiding outside of my fort just waiting for the invasion trigger, and a small group was caught by my guard dogs. 6 of them fled away from my gates. One went inside and started picking on the children, so I called in the farmer militia with the intention of killing the little g, but in the fight he somehow got put in a cage and brought to the butcher (the only place where I have an animal stockpile). I am wondering what I should do with the little turd?

In the past I have not been to successful in getting rid of captured enemies. They tend to escape when the dwarves release them from the cage. I go for the more direct approach of sending my militia in with the phrase, "If it doesn't bleed fire or acid, we can probably kill it."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:48:33 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »
Pages: 1 ... 1763 1764 [1765] 1766 1767 ... 3842