Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1765 1766 [1767] 1768 1769 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124461 times)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26490 on: November 17, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »

Had my first uninvited guest!

Garetho the Abyssal Cave, a towering quadraped composed of flame, with wings that looked emicated.

It died in one bolt, from the Elite Marksman I named 'Oneshot' due to killing everything he pointed his Crossbow at in one bolt. Sadly, he perished in the ensueing explosion of fire. Also Garetho seemed to refuse to cross my cage traps.

Unfortunelty, for some reason water wasn't being given to my injured dorfs, and an ambush showed up with the leader of my military bedridden, and my best archer dead, as well as a massive bunch of Crundles being pains [I had trapped, Tamed and slaughtered over 50 of these things], and the ambush, although beaten, set off a T-Spiral.

Still, this fort has changed the course of the world by slaying Garetho.

I also had tamed a Cave Crocodile, which took a couple of enemies down in it's life, and two cave spiders who were a great defense.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26491 on: November 18, 2012, 08:47:37 am »

You'll get a slab once you relocate to your new office at the bottom of the magma sea.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26492 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

I've just grown so many plump helmets I don't know what to do with it... and besides that, as a result I'm getting a whole lot of "x cancels Plant Seeds: Needs plump helmet spawn" messages.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26493 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:23 am »

Well, my fort that slayed my first Uninvited Guest has fallen due to an ambush I wasn't ready for.

This time, I'm actually gonna make a more elaborate defense than just a couple of cage traps and a bridge to close myself off, although I'll set my popcap at 30 while I build it, because I'm experimenting. I've only just got to grips with the military...

Basically, the plan is:

1 way in, temporary entrance to start with channeled out that'll we walled off.

The way in will be over a bridge with a multi-Z-level drop into some upright spikes. Maybe upright spike traps so they can be retracted and I can loot.

At the end of the Bridge, there's a tower where my archers train/live and can shoot things down. After all, sometimes the bridge drop might not work for various reasons. The only way in is to go around the tower, which will have cage traps. Maybe I'll make a Ballista at each end too.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26494 on: November 18, 2012, 11:01:02 am »

One of my miners broke his hand when I wasn't looking in either a cave-in or a drunken pratfall, possibly both.  I didn't notice until I started getting "Dumbass miner cancels Dig: Unconscious" from him passing out in pain due to mining with a broken hand.  Oops.  Well I needed reason to complete the hospital anyways.

Edit: Setting your evil rains to 100 is Fun.  So far I've spotted like 5 different syndromes on this malodorous slush that keeps falling.  The newest and most hilarious is the version that blisters every bone in the body.  Nothing else, just the bones.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:19:00 pm by Clover Magic »

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26495 on: November 18, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

OK, step 1 of my fort is complete.

I've made my pit, which I stopped about about 6 Z's deep because Urist Mc Legendary Miner decided to make a cave-in and kill himself and the other miners working on it, except one, who sustained major injuries and is basically retired now [Still alive, but can't do any real work, I keep her as a hero... and she's kinda a mother too]

Filled it with Wooden Spears, 2 per tile, making something like a 5x12 pit of spears.

I've made a small lookout tower over the bridge and made a squad of 3 marksdorfs, about all I can have until they get good enough to shoot through fortifications at range.

Breached the caverns to start cageing some meat, and got a breeding pair of Raindeer too.

Also, both my starting dogs have become named dogs by killing Thieves.

I think I'm ready to start accepting more Urists and move towards getting ambushes and Seiges.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26496 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:05 pm »

After making a race in the raws, I decided to embark on one of their castles on an evil biome. They were friendly and didn't want to kill me, problem is we're be sieged by a necromancer...with only a few dwarves and no military. So basically we are held up in a yellow castle, huddled in  fear of the zombies.
Unf.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26497 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »

There is a giant grasshopper stuck in my fort.  I'm not sure how it got inside.  It runs in terror from my genomes near the entrance, so it can't get out.  I don't even have any militia to kill it.  Hopefully it'll get out soon, or run into the entrance cage traps so I can tame and butcher it.  Good eatin', them grasshoppers.

List of syndromes the malodorous slush has shown up with so far:
-Blistering bones and only bones
-Pus oozing, so much pus
-Heavy bruising all over
-Severe dizziness

Nothing else evil has shown up except for glumprongs, so we've got a decent outdoors enclosure going on and a thriving seafood industry.  I like the color of nautilus shell.  Everything is running smoothly in Velvetyveils.

Except when the dizziness + bone blisters syndrome strikes and sends everyone who touched it to go rest in the hospital until the doctor kicks them out.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26498 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

Got an artifact native gold door from my already Legendary +5 mason who I had named Doorcrafter prior to the mood. He was in the initial seven, and I saw he 'liked doors' so I made him the mason in the hopes that I would get more masterwork doors. The only problem is that I can't really think of anywhere to put it.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26499 on: November 18, 2012, 06:49:05 pm »

I embarked on a volcanic mountain with the intention of digging a city-shaped fortress in the mountain - eventually carving the mountain away to leave the tall buildings standing free.

I've also given nicknames to my original seven, with the profession "House [Dwarf Name]". Each of these dwarves will eventually have a building of their own for their family line to live in.

Dwarves that create artifacts will get to start minor houses of their own, to be used as spares in case one of the original lines die out. Minor houses will adopt the last name of the artifact creator. So far we have three minor houses - House Castlemachine, House Kissdike, and House Luckyshot.

The head of House Luckyshot - Minkot Luckyshot - came to the fortress as a ranger. She created a maple earring, but I think I'll forgive her due to her fitting name (and the fact that House Luckyshot children make up more than half of our younglings).

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26500 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »

One of my zephyr squad (legends of forlorn realms) just ran ahead of his entire squad, attacked a forgotten beast beast that was somehow made of raw clownite, with fire breath (it did not get used) and was a giant scorpion with a bunch of generic bits. My first thought? "Well, this idiot will probably dodge and fall down a cliff." what actually happened was the guy swung his masterwork adamantine long sword and TOOK IT'S HEAD OFF! The name? "Zephyrheated". To say what did not happen, i guess. Still, henow gets the custom profession of "Badass". If he dies, it goes in a display case in a place of honor.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26501 on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »

I'm trying to solve the problem of very few of the dwarves wanting to haul things to the stockpiles. There's plenty of space left and everything, and I have around 20 idlers at any given time, and yet stuff is still just lying all over the place rather than getting hauled to stockpiles. Shouldn't the dwarves all be working on moving things to stockpiles if they don't have anything else to be doing? I know that most of the idlers have hauling enabled.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26502 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »

do they belong to anyone? If theres mountains of worn clothes they're probably still owned if they have thier own rooms to leave thier shit in.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26503 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:33 pm »

My sea traps actually worked!  We're now air-drowning some orcas for fun and profit.  Which is...not biologically accurate since they breathe air, but I suppose that's one way to simulate beaching.

Did you know that orcas will try to cross land back to the ocean when set free from a cage?  I didn't.  There was a minor panic when I saw a freshly-caught orca somehow flopping its way through my fort before it died.  Note to self: finish setting up the orca containment center before pitting them.

Also one of my miners somehow fell into the magma sea and died.  It's the same idiot who also somehow broke her hand.  At least those genes aren't getting passed on, at least, but damn, that was a waste of a pick.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26504 on: November 18, 2012, 08:46:48 pm »

FPS death again - but I asked for it this time, my embark is 5 or 6 square (~250tiles a side).  Had several severe failures, overcompensated on purpose, now I feel better, but alas - 160 beards, just too big and too much stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 1765 1766 [1767] 1768 1769 ... 3842