Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125238 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26355 on: October 29, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »

The caravan guards keep running outside, doing sprints up the length of my depot access road, and then coming back.  Not sure what's up with that.  All it's doing is causing them to track through the revolting filth and then pass out from pain.  There's nothing dangerous outside aside from a flock of emus that are doing a conga line into my cage traps for taming.

Despite the Terrifying biome, it doesn't reanimate, which is a nice change of pace.  Currently training up a militia to reclaim the second cavern from a solid salt FB.  Only a poisonous sting, so if someone lands a solid hit first we should score a clean victory.  Working on steel armor anyways, so it should be fairly easy.

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26356 on: October 29, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

Those marksdwarves danger roomed into hammerlords i mentioned earlier? def not a face palm. they happened to be on a rino hunting trip when a siege started. destroyed 2 full squads of gobs (mace/lasher) plus several trolls before finally being killed. routed the full siege in under 10 mins. now i gotta danger room all my marksdwarves!!! it was awesome seeing them dodge and block everything till at least 3 or 4 gobs finally surrounded each one while the others where pelting them bolts!

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #26357 on: October 29, 2012, 02:26:12 pm »

Embarked on a half Joyous/half Terrifying 3x3 square. It was pretty interesting until a unicorn from the joyous half got killed in the reanimating evil part, came back to life, and killed quite a few dwarves.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26358 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »

A stray kitten just bled to death in the food stockpile for no discernible reason.

What.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26359 on: October 29, 2012, 09:22:05 pm »

I really wish the main staircase wasn't carved out of cinnabar right next to the magma channels...it's led to one too many double-takes so far.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26360 on: October 29, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

A stray kitten just bled to death in the food stockpile for no discernible reason.

What.

"Jeezus, Urist, the rats must be getting huge around here!"
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26361 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

Started a new volcano fort, only to meet a werepangolin's lair.  Cue one of my miners gashing the werepangolin's head in with the pick (who was a dwarf at the time.)  A shame I lost a dwarf to the lava with preparing the magma forges.  He was given the proper slab for the job, along with the werepangolin, and it got a coffin.  (The miner couldn't get the coffin luxury for obvious reasons.)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26362 on: October 30, 2012, 01:33:31 am »

Lots of dwarves running up and down stairs in Weatherspear!   :o

Underworld work proceeds slowly.   Some walls are up, but a few dwarves are now on the invalid or dead list.  One had his foot torn off by a demon - which might had saved him since the same attack involved a poisonous bite as well.  And a dwarven child out where he should not have been was hit by webs and pushed into a deep chasm.  This looks to be a long project that might run up a long casualty list unless additional security steps are taken.

We also arranged for an elven caravan to take an alternative exit after trading   :D

However, none of the lurking denizens of the area were about to interfere with their departure.

While work proceeded down below hostile visitors also visited on the surface.   A spring goblin siege was shot to pieces by the marksdwarves, who wiped out two of the three squads that actually attacked (and a fourth goblin squad loitered and then ran.)  With summer three squads of human cavalry have arrived and are camped in the western approaches.  They are being ignored for now, but will be either invited in or driven off shortly.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #26363 on: October 30, 2012, 03:41:34 am »

Just lost two dwarves to a the construction of my high pressure sewage disposal system. I found them against the wall on the other side of where they were working so I can only assume the 'high pressure' part of the system works.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26364 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:05 am »

Four beloved dwarves passed away due to old age simultaneously. I am seeing a lot of has been miserable latelies.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26365 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:29 am »

Discovered the cause of the mysterious kitten death.  It got some of the revolting filth on it that happened to be of the spontaneous heavy bleeding variety. (There's at least three syndromes on this stuff).  I hadn't worried about this variety much because my livestock stays inside and my genomes are large enough to survive the bleeding, although the weaker ones turn Pale for a bit.

But anyways somehow this kitten must how gotten a smear of it on it and couldn't survive the resultant heavy bleeding.  At least this has made me proactive and I've assigned all mothers with children to an inside burrow since babies are small and syndrome-prone.  The last thing I need is a mechanic having her triplets bleed to death in her arms.  However, how it got the filth on it is still a mystery as it was safely in my food stockpiles and nowhere near the entrance.  Perhaps it decided to head-bump a genome covered in the stuff, who knows.  A decontamination chamber is in order.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26366 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:53 am »

Discovered the cause of the mysterious kitten death.  It got some of the revolting filth on it that happened to be of the spontaneous heavy bleeding variety. (There's at least three syndromes on this stuff).  I hadn't worried about this variety much because my livestock stays inside and my genomes are large enough to survive the bleeding, although the weaker ones turn Pale for a bit.

But anyways somehow this kitten must how gotten a smear of it on it and couldn't survive the resultant heavy bleeding.  At least this has made me proactive and I've assigned all mothers with children to an inside burrow since babies are small and syndrome-prone.  The last thing I need is a mechanic having her triplets bleed to death in her arms.  However, how it got the filth on it is still a mystery as it was safely in my food stockpiles and nowhere near the entrance.  Perhaps it decided to head-bump a genome covered in the stuff, who knows.  A decontamination chamber is in order.
That seems to happen often. Sudden Kitten Bleeding Syndrome. SKBS. Same thing happens to me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26367 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »

And yet again, my fort manages to escape death to tantrum spiral.
After the four natural deaths, 4 more dwarves died. The former king consort was sent to join his wife, with a mean kick that sent his false ribs through his liver. Two dwarves couldn't take the strain, and went melancholy. And finally, one silly dwarf decided to go berserk while standing next to my champion. There were about 50 tantrums next to that, but none of these did any serious harm. A nice touch from the RNG was, when a soldier threw a tantrum while sparring, and attacked his sparring mate for real. A few punches later they went on sparring.
By now, one year after the four natural deaths, everyone is happy again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26368 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

I have finally struck flux! Armok be praised! We will be making sweet, sweet steel after all!  8)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26369 on: October 30, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »

Ach, silly, you need flux for steel too! In my very first 40d fort, I had piles of iron and never one stone of flux. It was a sad place for dwarves.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.
Pages: 1 ... 1756 1757 [1758] 1759 1760 ... 3842