Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1755 1756 [1757] 1758 1759 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125090 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26340 on: October 27, 2012, 07:39:21 pm »

In other news Cilob Fightmaster the one-armed wrestler is getting a display case that contains his own arm for his room.

Cilob Fightmaster has been ecstatic lately. He admired own tastefully arranged arm lately.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26341 on: October 27, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »

So the revolting filth that rains every so often comes in two varieties apparently.  One causes extreme pain that makes everyone keep passing out for about a week, the other is, apparently, spontaneous bleeding and bruising on every body part that touches the rain.  Some moron apparently just stuck his head out into the latter version, as he is free from yellow wounds...except his eyes.  I don't know how it only got into his eyes and not touch any other body part... I can't help but think about that whole thing of turkeys standing and staring up at the rain with their mouths open until they die.

Most of spring was spent either having a lovely red chorus of "I can't do that boss, everything hurts too much" or a bunch of flashing icons because everyone was pale or faint from the bloodloss syndrome.  Joy.  However most everything outside important has been floored off now, so no more blue muck on our heads!  Also this ocean has a lovely abundance of fish unlike the last two I've embarked on, so we have a nice seafood industry going on now that the ocean is thawed.

Summer migrants came, digging downwards for cavern exploration, and...

"You have discovered a curious structure underground".

Fucking fantastic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26342 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »

Swamrack fell to a tantrum spiral. Then I started Roseracks(I swear that was from the RNG). That one fell to a single pair of ninja-necromancers, that I had no reason to believe would appear.

Now, after tweaking some worldgen setting a bit, I have a fortress on a volcano with plenty of iron, copper, clay, and other ores and useful rock. Plus a brook. Welcome to Jailbait, where the suspiciously high occurence of child kidnappings is purely coincidental.
(okay, that name was intentional).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26343 on: October 28, 2012, 01:19:00 pm »

So I guess there's a certain limit then on how much fall damage the armor will absorb.

Oh well, suicide drop squads! A manlier, gorier way of death for the useless and the peasants!
It's not falling damage, after a certain hight falls result in insta-death that divides them into six pieces and scatters them to the wind. Insta-death is averted when they land on something and all of the energy is apparently transferred to the creature they landed on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26344 on: October 28, 2012, 01:29:13 pm »

So I guess there's a certain limit then on how much fall damage the armor will absorb.

Oh well, suicide drop squads! A manlier, gorier way of death for the useless and the peasants!
It's not falling damage, after a certain hight falls result in insta-death that divides them into six pieces and scatters them to the wind. Insta-death is averted when they land on something and all of the energy is apparently transferred to the creature they landed on.
So, you need a drop-squad of kitten-cushions to go in first, and provide landing space for your troops.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26345 on: October 28, 2012, 01:53:47 pm »

What if you were to, say, have a bunch of tough but dispensable war animals, like cave crocodiles, penned in a maybe 3x3 or 4x4 space that serves as the main entrance, and above this you have the drop chute that's however many z-levels above it w/ a bridge for drop squads.

Include an airlock system of drawbridges so once a certain number of goblins fills the space you can seal it off with minimum open space. While the war animals are distracting the gobbos you can drop the first squad down on them with a good chance of troops landing on creatures. If they land on a goblin, well done! The goblin just got goomba stomped! If they land on a war animal, then it's a good thing those critters are dispensable. ...If soldiers just land on open floor, then clearly the RNG deemed them unworthy.

of course, kittens work too, but they aren't quite as deadly distractions as cave crocodiles.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26346 on: October 28, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »

After a hilarious misunderstanding that ended with a harpy eating a dwarfs face I discovered that she was three years older than her mother in law who in turn was only nine years younger than her son. Urist Springer.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26347 on: October 28, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

How bout this bracelet

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26348 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:20 pm »

So the revolting filth that rains every so often comes in two varieties apparently.  One causes extreme pain that makes everyone keep passing out for about a week, the other is, apparently, spontaneous bleeding and bruising on every body part that touches the rain.  Some moron apparently just stuck his head out into the latter version, as he is free from yellow wounds...except his eyes.  I don't know how it only got into his eyes and not touch any other body part... I can't help but think about that whole thing of turkeys standing and staring up at the rain with their mouths open until they die.

Most of spring was spent either having a lovely red chorus of "I can't do that boss, everything hurts too much" or a bunch of flashing icons because everyone was pale or faint from the bloodloss syndrome.  Joy.  However most everything outside important has been floored off now, so no more blue muck on our heads!  Also this ocean has a lovely abundance of fish unlike the last two I've embarked on, so we have a nice seafood industry going on now that the ocean is thawed.

Summer migrants came, digging downwards for cavern exploration, and...

"You have discovered a curious structure underground".

Fucking fantastic.
Maybe it's time to play some Dwarven Checkers?

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #26349 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:20 pm »

as the kobold sifts through the elven remeneats of the last elven fortress ( i am using mods to  colonize as elfs if anyone see the  fort; tree fortress then that is a diffrent one) he see a small booklet: a dyed and platinum bound book: he immedaitly lunged at the "shinie" the kobold remebered his name "jeebis" as he was called from his fellow tribes mates. he began to read the book on a skull of some poor elf: this book had the entire settlements rise and fall it talked about death and riches: it is a 20 page book:

entry one: we finnaly arived at this wonderous location: the birds are singing the unicorns are grazing and- why do we have so many spiders following us?  and alo just because our fort is named horse grzed doseant mean we have a HUNDRED horses following us- they'll eat everything!

entry two:  the caravan is coming!: they have so many bows and food to replenish our supply's! this settlement might actually survive what with the food shortages and those fluffy wamblers eating our supply.

entry 3: oh god... oh god... some kobold came into my room and stole my  earrings! and then he  shanked my liver, i guess i am going to have to stay on water or i might get over intoxicated.... wait.. do i hear swords? oh god... i think something is happening and... is that a tree house collapsing?? oh god the DWARFS ARE COMING! they are razing the village! we are doomed.... oh god oh god.... please... save this tree house....

entry 4: is that a forest FIRE!?!? oh god... oh god i hope the other elves are okay... * there is blood spattering on the page and the rest of the writing in on the page is using red ink, oh my.    forests forests, fires fires, ashes and ashes we all are ashes... the dwarfs are coming with their axes and torches to burn us elf's to turn the elfs into  ashes  and ashes... those who run will be swiped by their blood steel swords and their   axes as blue as  the ocean...  blood covers the trees.. the forests are burning the trees are aching and the birds are being cooked all is dying under the dwarfs sickle and axe and pick those who resist will be punished with sword and bolt: they ahve to pay.. they all have to pay... they will pay with blood and arrow... as they chop we plant and as they fight we  take those who have fallen and try to teach tem are ways.. all they do is slaughter and kill... adn when we try to ask us nicely they trap us in cages and laugh... i hear the tree house creeking i know what is happening... i will get out and kill all those stone  clinging axe wielding DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SUN OF A DWARFS!

entry 5: i just saw the mayor charge out and singe handedly kill off the entire dwarven siege... damn he shot dwarf left and right then he grabbed one of their axes and loped heads of left and right, too bad he bled to death... we found a pick mwhahaha we found their secret of  their power: we ill dig into the earth:  destroy our enemies: fight fire with holy fire: we have  figured out a way to imbue  metals into plats: we could grow anything: even adamantine given enough time our elfs will fight off the dwarfs with adamantine  swords and shields.

entry 6: you should of seen the faces of those damned dwarfs when i charged at them in full adamantine class while the archers shot those who  i missed pure terror: i loved the blood of our enemies spilling for those whose actions that haven't been payed with rustic for the last hundred years: w struck the earth with ease as if we were the dwarfs them selves.

entry 7:  we sacrificed some  of our civilain clothing field for our adamantine plants so we could  continue getting  more and more powerful crossbows and swords: we must keep our little secret from the dwarfs: our plants are our secret if they take that away from us we will be nothing and one of our elfs made something that can show  pue death to the dwarves who abused their powers this: a adamantine sword with countless numbers of us striking them down and vice versus: and it it self!: there is alot of stuff on it: the thing will go to our elfvensword lord: she will slaughteralteast a thousand dwarfs with that one

as you finish reading the 7th  entry you hear  footsteps: ELFS! you get out of their and decide to read the rest in the morning those  crazy basterds will  probably kill you as fast as a heart beat.

i will post the rest tommorow for i am going to bed :P
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

BeenCarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • American Society for Velociraptor Attack Protection
« Reply #26350 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:38 pm »

A werewater buffalo bull attacked one of my fisherdwarves and killed it. Of course the local giant ravens would not have that happening in their hood, so they swooped in and slaughter the were beast. Currently one of my dwarves is possessed but is just slumming in his room not claiming a workshop. Well at least I can lock the door whe he goes berserk.
It's like fighting goblins with lye, and winning.
Velociraptor season is here.
Are you prepared?
http://www.velociraptors.info/

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26351 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:25 pm »

A werewater buffalo bull attacked one of my fisherdwarves and killed it. Of course the local giant ravens would not have that happening in their hood, so they swooped in and slaughter the were beast. Currently one of my dwarves is possessed but is just slumming in his room not claiming a workshop. Well at least I can lock the door whe he goes berserk.
You don't have the workshop he needs

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26352 on: October 29, 2012, 08:31:19 am »

Nashonrinmol, the "Bloody Marsh" is being overrun by a horde of zombie limbs, hands, heads and so on, after one goblin ambush stuck open the front door I have installed. One thing led to another and I watch my little fort slowly die.. oh well, losing is fun, but I was enjoying my little fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:38:22 am by 0cu »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26353 on: October 29, 2012, 11:38:42 am »

The RNG is messing with me today.
Yesterday, a dwarf broke both hands, being pummeled with seeds. Today, her husband broke both of his hands, due to seed pummeling.

What are the odds? I have 150 dwarves. All idlers, about 50, participated in long runs of plump helmet spawn pummeling each other. The injured dwarves in question both were born in my fortress, only minutes apart. They also were my first couple of homegrown dwarves to get married. And now, the both suffered identical injuries, and are also the only two dwarves who have been hurt beyond bruising. Those two obviously are meant for each other.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist ZatRethol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26354 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:23 pm »

I am currently mining out a pitfall trap in the fortress. My expedition leader was a legendary miner, so when the first dwarven caravan came, I got her to quickly trade for more food and alcohol, then get back to mining. For an entire year the liaison followed my expedition leader trying to talk to her. When the second caravan came, they sent a milker to negotiate the trade agreement. At that point I decided to let her take a break from mining so she could talk with the liaison.
Pages: 1 ... 1755 1756 [1757] 1758 1759 ... 3842