Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1701 1702 [1703] 1704 1705 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128941 times)

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25530 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:02 pm »

Working on equips for a squad. Got a good embark with plenty of hematite (and a bit of limonite), a fair amount of limestone, and lots of bituminous coal, and so I'm making steel garb and weapons. On my second migration wave, I got 3 or 4 military dwarves of different weapon type, so I decided to make enough for a mixed-arms 5-squad. Also made a few steel picks for a pickdwarf squad later if needed.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25531 on: September 15, 2012, 10:57:13 pm »

Got a dwarf migrant with this skill list, "9 kids and a husband who didn't come with her", and a huge history block of previous migrations. Yeah, you suck at fake identities, Mrs UristMcObviousVampire:

Code: [Select]
Competent Macedwarf
Competent Marksdwarf
Novice Shield User
Novice Armor User
Competent Dodger
Adequate Miner
Great Fish Dissector
Competent Animal Dissector
Novice Fish Cleaner
Novice Trapper
Novice Tanner
Adequate Brewer
Adequate Miller
Novice Herbalist
Novice Fisherdwarf
Adequate Gem Cutter
Competent Stone Crafter
Novice Leatherworker
Adequate Mechanic
Skilled Wound Dresser
Adequate Bone Doctor
Adequate Suturer
Adequate Soaper
Competent Potter
Novice Beekeeper
Novice Ambusher
Great Persuader
Expert Negotiator
Competent Judge of Intent
Competent Intimidator
Competent Conversationalist
Great Comedian
Competent Consoler

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25532 on: September 15, 2012, 11:33:02 pm »

Just got a dwarven couple who've got to have the biggest family in the realm.

They only brought 4 children, who I'm gonna let live, because they're 7-13. Yeah, for some reason they brought 12 and 13 year old children. But they have 6 more grown up children.
The wife has 2 older brothers and 2 younger sisters, and the husband is the second eldest of eight.
The wife has about two pages of aunts and uncle, and the husband has about a page.
The husband has like 3 pages of nieces and nephews, the wife only has one.
The wife has about half a page of cousins, while the husband has 3 or 4.

Ambushes and sieges be damned, I'm more concerned of if their family comes for Christmas. I'd have to send out the militia and toss 'em in the death pit 'fore they drink all me booze.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25533 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »

Just had a Husk Zombie Kitten clear out my fledgling fortress...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25534 on: September 16, 2012, 12:13:48 am »

First goblin ambush teams have visited Waterspear.  Crossbow group entered the east gate to the Outer Bailey, followed shortly afterwards by a mace group entering the west gate.  Found out that the spike traps beside each gate are not yet connected to the lever in the main dining hall.  (Oops!)  Closed the gate on the crossbow group in any case.

A work dwarf on the roof of the keep came under fire, but managed to get below without getting hit.  Mean while, the crossbow goblins in turn came under fire from an elite marksdwarf and started getting hit.  At the same time they got pinballed by a few traps (3-4 spiked iron balls) and their leader bow goblin found a cage trap.

The mace goblins got pounded by traps as well and started to withdraw.  At which point three legendary melee dwarves in full steel armor appeared.  Axe, sword, and hammer finished off the crossbow goblins, and caught a few of the mace goblins before they could escape.  Some goblinite for the forges, and a live one who has been stripped of gear and put to work as a GCS silk webbing target down in the cloth industry section.

Defenses are firming up.  The walkway around the Outer Bailey is walled interior and exterior, and the roof is almost completed as well.  The west railgun is operational - but needs a test firing.  The east railgun tunnels are dug, but ramps and track are not fully installed.  The second floor of the Main Keep is starting to be worked on, and that should secure the fortress from goblins on flying mounts in general as the roof of this area and the Inner Bailey is completed.

Enough steel armor on hand to equip ~40 dwarves, and sufficient melee weaponry is on hand as well.  Crossbow production slow, but is the next priority.  The militia captains should have help soon.

Another migrant wave is expected shortly.  Residence construction has kept pace, but non-economic stone shortages have slowed production of furniture.  Might switch over to metal for some of this since there is iron aplenty, or maybe just allow hematite and chalk to be used for a while by the masons.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25535 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:29 am »

A colony of bees has decided to settle in my deathpit. So invaders will end up falling several z-levels upon upright spears, and in their last breaths, they shall get stung the fuck up.

The first Dwarven Caravan to visit the fortress brought two wagons. :) Viewed Building I(t)ems on my Depot and it looks like they've got some decent goods. Didn't have a jeweler or a stonecrafter, and I didn't have much of anything to trade, so I had to designate one of the less skilled dwarves to cut gems to trade.

Also been getting quite a few thieves recently, but my war dogs tend to catch 'em before they get anything.

EDIT:

Huh. Just got a VERY scarred, battered and beaten Yeti cross into my place. It's in very bad shape. Not really familiar with Yetis.... TO THE WIKI!

Edit2: Almost 3/4ths of my dwarves are ecstatic. In their thoughts, it says they dined in legendary dining rooms recently, but my dining room isn't anything special. Just a few mismatched tables and chairs in a rough microcline room... Also, I think the good food and drink is a major contributor.

Edit3: I was making gold statues for my meeting area. The dwarf making them has pumped out at least 4 moon snail statues. Went into her thoughts and it says she detests the things. Now why would she make something she detests for a high traffic place she'll be visiting often? >.>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:53:43 am by Ki11aGhost »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25536 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59:17 am »

I think the overall size of the dining room has a big effect. I guess that having at least one common room be really high quality is necessary to compensate for most of the rest of the fort not looking very good.

I just had a seige of goblins. I was a bit worried at first, drafting a backup marksdorf squad to bolster my melee unit and main marksdorfs. As I was making the final preparations, I had the first ranged squad hop up to the perimiter wall to start peppering the incoming squad of goblins. All I did was pepper the squad leader for a little while, and they all ran off! I was honestly a little disappointed. I haven't been able to find any weapons-grade metal on this embark yet, so I could really use the goblinite harvest.

Also, I've been having some trouble keeping the booze stockpile full. I've got 3 dedicated planters and at least 30 tiles worth of farm plot now, so we'll see how that works out.

I've currently got a fey mood that needs some yarn cloth. I have some, but it's been dyed. Is that a problem? He isn't getting the cloth.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25537 on: September 16, 2012, 04:24:27 am »

Yeah, my dining room is 12x21, and its the second biggest room in the fortress, aside from my bar stockpile for the smelters. It's about half diorite and half microcline.

In other news, I just got my third wave on the fortress. It's 34 utterly useless dwarves and I'm rather disappointed. My mason has some work to do, and I really need to work hard to keep those prepared meals up. The good news is there are 11 marksdwarves mixed in there, and four of different melee arms. :) I might make a 10-squad of marksdwarves, and expand my mixed-arms squad to ten. Gonna need to get digging some hematite and sandstone as I'm running low, and put my furnace operators to work.

I've also got an idea for a good defensive tactic that would go well with my new marksdwarf squad, so I better get working on channeling my river and adding some fortifications to my entrance.

I also recently got a strange mood that got me a bugbat leather skirt. -.-' Had to get a leatherworks up in time to make sure that four children don't go motherless, and that's how she repays me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25538 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just realized does this mean there's still at least 2 necromancers prowling about Silentthunders? :(

yohyzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25539 on: September 16, 2012, 04:48:47 am »

The Queen of The Curse of Renown has arrived!

She is...different from most monarchs.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25540 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:43 am »

The Queen of The Curse of Renown has arrived!

She is...different from most monarchs.

Wait...

you have a forgotten beast as queen?

And she is also a deity to your dorfs?

... I just hope she doesn't invite anybody for "dinner in her private chambers"... or if she does, only somebody useless.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25541 on: September 16, 2012, 05:00:46 am »

That appears to be a demon. Demons can take over human civs by deceit or goblin civs by force and become kings or queens.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25542 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:02 am »

What's more worrying is that it's a demon with deadly dust. That monarch/demon will DESTROY your fort.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25543 on: September 16, 2012, 09:12:40 am »

But those are goblin names, running a Golbin Fortress?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25544 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:51 am »

What's more worrying is that it's a demon with deadly dust. That monarch/demon will DESTROY your fort.

A shame really. You'd think that they'd only go blasting dust if an enemy was near by.
Pages: 1 ... 1701 1702 [1703] 1704 1705 ... 3842