Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1690 1691 [1692] 1693 1694 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129686 times)

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25365 on: September 08, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »

I just meant that as a general statement. Personally, I wouldn't cheat on something like milling.

Normally, I might cheat on kind of in-the-middle things. Hauling and cleaning? Never. Forgotten Beasts? Never. Training a baby to fight goblins? Sure, why not. Show me to the mod.

Dr.Cthulhu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25366 on: September 08, 2012, 08:06:22 pm »

I've had migrants show up at a very fast rate, numbering 30 by the Spring of the 2nd year. Then I get another migrant wave. I go from 30 dwarves to 69 in one wave. 24 of my total dwarves are children.

I have to assign labors to all these new dwarves..I think I'm going to die.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25367 on: September 08, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »

Dwarf Therapist is a lifesaver. Takes less than 5 minutes to disable useless labours, enable more needed ones, etc. on big migrant waves. Also good for those people who need to visually see stats levels.

My last migrant wave of 16 I had all sorted out before the first one even touched the entrance.

Alternatively you could drown them in lava.

EDIT: Got a migrant wave whislt typing that and already have them sorted out. :P Granted it was only six...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:30:28 pm by Ki11aGhost »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25368 on: September 08, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »

I believe you mean dwarf therapist.

Requested more silk from the goblins, along with som bug and cavern meats and leathers. Dwarves have successfully made first contact. The elves are waiting in line to bitch at us on the trees' behalf. I'll actually be glad when there's enough people for a mayor so my poor expedition leader isn't drowned in diplomats again.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25369 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »

Yeah, thanks for catching that. 'Dwarf Fortress is such a good organizer for Dwarf Fortress!'

Also, you requested from the goblins??

Anyway, that migrant wave netted me another miner, bringing my total to four. I should forge some higher level picks to protect the two legendaries. Also, I'm got tons of dogs running around, and I want to train them into war dogs, but I'm too lazy. Anyone know how to fix.?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:35:37 pm by Ki11aGhost »

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25370 on: September 08, 2012, 08:38:04 pm »

fisherdwarfs have addiction to nicking all me booze barrels!

No booze = I wanna make stupid crafts.

need more powered rubbish removers
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25371 on: September 08, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »

@ Ki11aGhost - Indeed. I'm working on a mod that incorporates Corai's modbolds and the weaker fortdefense races. The modbolds are of little threat to a properly trainied human soldier with a good shield individually, but they tend to come in large swarms of cannon fodder. As such, I made the goblins friendly, and until I fixed the dwarves, they saved my leatherworker's life thanks to the silk they sold me the year before. They've honestly been quite the trading partners, even if they lack alot of things. I even made them semi-playable! Sorta messed up and forgot to give them farming for booze though...

Just finished a workshop for the first kid to grow up, who'll end up the settlement's bone carver. Even went the extra mile and put a clear glass window next to the bed! He'll have a great view of the north gate. And yes I say he because the oldest child in the settlement is a boy.

EDIT: One of my halberdiers bestowed upon her chalbys polaxe the name Olissana, "The Eerie Love." I don't want to know why it's called that.... Better than that one guy I had in Shockedtowns that named his halberd "The Fondled Soul" I guess.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25372 on: September 08, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »

Ah, so they come in the winter, I suppose?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25373 on: September 08, 2012, 08:54:42 pm »

Yep. Basically a minor supply of metals meat and silk/leather. A few well made gold goblets can usually buy out the nonmetal bar stuff.

Decided to start building a zoo. Kids love zoos.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25374 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Hematite, yr.452
First Previous Next

Minami, one of our few functioning axedwarves, started acting all secretive. She grabbed some stone and some bone and started crafting something. We tried to get the elves out, but a cat got out instead, and Kagami started chasing it around. Thankfully no zombies were nearby. For all the trouble those elves have caused, we are robbing them clean of cloth for our hospital, and we kept grabbing at them even as the fled-exit into the caverns. Now that they're gone, I can focus on treating poor Nanaka's wounds.

Spoiler: Cat Catch (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tradeway Robbery (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:51:10 am by ZzarkLinux »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25375 on: September 08, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »

The upper levels of the fortress are safe, and the gates have been shut while the remaining 6 dwarves clean up this unholy mess.

There were 7 dwarves, but I drafted them for a moment in a squad ordered to carry picks and nothing else, and the expedition leader ran upstairs and got himself eaten by zombies. I never liked the guy; he showed up naked (well, not really, but using fixmigrant causes the fixed migrant to throw off all of his clothes and go streaking into the fortress. This guy fought his way through the zombie hordes in his birthday suit.), didn't bring booze for the ladies, and threw multiple tantrums, injuring some of the animals, before finally picking up some clothes and settling in to be the laziest fucker around. I made him expedition leader because he can't attend meetings with himself, so he could spend more time on break or working, instead of trying to make the only survivor of the original population miserable.

There were 9 before that, but my attempt to set up a waterfall in the meeting area went poorly actually it worked spectacularly, but two of the morons took a dive of 7-8 z-levels and drowned in the outlet channel.

The exceptionally good news is that the Other category count is down from ~1350 to just 935
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:32:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25376 on: September 09, 2012, 12:26:19 am »

My first gobly ambush arrived. I was completely unprepared. The goblys just ran straight into the fort despite the defensive drawbridge. My milita killed them but it was a gory battle due to having copper as the only easily accessible metal. From now on I'm just going to rely on levers and deconstruct the pressure plates.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25377 on: September 09, 2012, 12:33:19 am »

Home caravan has come, the zoo is built, we've become a "duchy capital" as the raws referred to it, and I purchesed nearly 4k in dorf money in booze alone.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25378 on: September 09, 2012, 12:41:36 am »

A raven somehow managed to find it's way all the way into the bowels of the fortress ALIVE.

I'ma name her... Crap, what should it be called?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25379 on: September 09, 2012, 12:58:31 am »

A raven somehow managed to find it's way all the way into the bowels of the fortress ALIVE.

I'ma name her... Crap, what should it be called?

Either Larry or Urist.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.
Pages: 1 ... 1690 1691 [1692] 1693 1694 ... 3842