Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129558 times)

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25380 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:53 am »

A raven somehow managed to find it's way all the way into the bowels of the fortress ALIVE.

I'ma name her... Crap, what should it be called?

DeathWish the Suicide of Feathers.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25381 on: September 09, 2012, 01:04:03 am »

Started a new fortress in a new world, with 4 biomes present.  2 are mountain biomes split between haunted, and a small corner of sinister. The next, temperate marshland, is calm and wild.  The haunted/sinister mountain has massive fields of eye stalks everywhere, but no annoying putrid muck raining all the time which not only was a massive inconvenience to my old fort but it also covered up the eye stalk fields and I prefer to see them since they're fucking cool.  Clouds of accursed soot appear from time to time which create undead opposed to all life, an excellent addition I think.

I've already got a small barracks for my one axedwarf, pretty much every workshop I need save for craftsdwarves, a small dining room/dormitory, even an open air refuse pile.  Irrigation for my farms and a water reservoir (for wells) is just about to go underway and it's not even autumn yet.  For the first time in about 6 forts I have an area that has iron ores (all my others have been just tetrahedrite/native silver, that sort of thing) so I'm excited to get my steel foundry up and running once I find flux. The only thing I really need atm is a hospital which is no immediate concern as no hostile wildlife has even showed up yet. Forts looking good.

Gonna make sure I get a labyrinthe set up outside my fort to weed out invaders, which ended up being my undoing on my last fort.  Although the real problem was that after an attack/set of attacks what really did me in was having to station my military outside in the putrid muck, to try and quell the constantly reanimating undead while my dwarves hauled them to the biome-safe refuse zone.  Tantrum spirals caused me to just get tired of the fort.  Either way, I have high hopes for this fort.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:07:00 am by theprofessor! »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25382 on: September 09, 2012, 01:15:09 am »

A boy has been born to a miner! My miners must really enjoy fucking. This brings us up to 50 people. Mayoral elections here I come! Also a potter got possessed and punted a mason out. Hope he make something good. Rususpuja, Tarnishedbends, the mica cabinet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25383 on: September 09, 2012, 01:23:02 am »

Rususpuja, Tarnishedbends, the mica cabinet.

Cabinets make for awesome artifacts, eh?

Noble will be SO happy to recieve that, that they'll mandate the creation of slade bucklers!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25384 on: September 09, 2012, 01:23:39 am »

She only demands poleaxes, scepters and shields for some reason.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25385 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:24 am »

^ Mine only demands beds and maces and then forbids me to sell said beds and maces.

Ooh shiny my miners are channeling the floor at people:

That has to hurt.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25386 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:04 am »

Journal of Kotonoa, 20th Malachite, yr.452
First Previous Next

I heard that the MountainHome is also beseiged by zombie hordes. But I'm overwhelmed and don't care, my head's still spinning. Legendary mug. Baby girl. Livestock Butchering. Migrants survive. No wood. Leather Armor. Need fuel. Need splints. Gypsum bugged. Second Cavern. Also graveyard. Magma Pipe. Large Meeting. Everybody shouting. Stupid Ghost.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:09:03 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25387 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »

Charmtowns
27th Timber, 207

Another necromancer got in due to my being a total sucker for letting migrants not die. Managed to pulverize it, though.

The 1-tile meeting area is working, and I now have a total of thirty-one couples, most of whom are married. There's been a pretty much constant stream of marriages, too... I should get flooded in sprogs aaany month now. WHOO!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25388 on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

It's been slow. Excruciatingly slow. A necromancer or three made it into the cage traps section of the trap system before being caught. In the engagement, we lost a dwarf. Noble Sibrek. I can't recall what his job was or what importance he really had, but I know he needs a slab. I am also somewhat ashamed that I know so little about the 5 workers remaining. Losing Sibrek put them all in a bad mood, and I wasn't sure what to do about it. Now, though, they're all ecstatic except the new expedition leader/militia commander, Udil, who is content.

The numbers of undead are slowly dwindling. They number something around ~715 now, and I haven't had the SIEGE token on-screen for a little over a year.

This place needs cleaned up...

As I type, a brave kingsnake slithers through the sand, ignorant of just how lifeless this foul desert is. I realize now that the vast majority of the undead are raven corpses. The ravens just keep coming. Their bodies pile up to the extreme, and then a necromancer comes along and... It jsut never ends. I had to get creative to seal off the frotress from the air, because the fucking raven corpses kept wandering all the way through the fort just to bite my dogs' on the ass (lower body/tail/rear legs every time) and promptly get swarmed by the canines.

My miner and her assistant are slowly making headway on hollowing out a truly grand fortress. Since this is a succession game, I wanted to show off. With a population of five, the halls will never hum with the sounds of industry and jovial life. I've got 12 hours real-time left to play this game before I get skipped, and I highly doubt I'll be able to clean up the undead or the mess, but at least I'll leave behind a big god damn cavern of a fortress.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:09:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25389 on: September 09, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »

a series of unfortunate accidents has happened to the fisherdwarfs, how unexpected.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25390 on: September 09, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »

After a lull for several years, our friends have returned to us.

Woohoo! I'll report back soon!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25391 on: September 09, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »

Fired up 23a, and it feels like I'm relearning how to play it's so simple. Also there was a cave-in and thankfully nobody got killed. Would have slowed things down even more than they already are.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25392 on: September 09, 2012, 02:56:03 pm »

Well, that was fun. A few of the newer military dwarves were killed, as well as some of the less intelligent marksdwaves. In addition, several astured aniamls were killed. Once the gobboos nearby were killed and the entrance was safe, it was a slaughterfest. My bridge is covered in troll blood, with huge, long streaks sticking out. The crossbow and spear gobbos barely managed to make it past the trap/marksdwarf/fortification death trap before being set upon by blood-thirsty melee dwarves. All in all, good day.

Highlight of the bridge of death:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25393 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »

Dwarven merchants arrived! They fought their way through a weaker portion of the horde and made it into the tunnel there is now nothing between them and the depot! Glory to dwarf kind!

Sadly, the outpost liaison didn't make it...
I make Spellcrafts!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25394 on: September 09, 2012, 03:24:39 pm »

Just killed a three-headed giant lark with mandibles (mountain titan) with 30 untrained wrestlers. Three survived.
Pages: 1 ... 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 ... 3842