Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122920 times)

angrysully

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24795 on: August 13, 2012, 03:47:17 pm »

What is the best gear to give to archers with the most protection but no negatives towards shooting/maneuvering?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24796 on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:25 pm »

Adamantine everything except bolts.

angrysully

« Reply #24797 on: August 13, 2012, 04:33:03 pm »

Adamantine everything except bolts.

Besides Adamantine (I opened hell and can't get down below to reach the adamantine yet.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24798 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »

Leather gear with a mail shirt and metal helmet for good measure. It'll at least reduce the damage they take a little bit and won't impede thier mobility much if at all. A shield or backup weapon may or may not affect thier fire rate, so use at own discrection.

So the humans have left, with orders to bring wood, fuel, and steel making materials, along with leather, nice warm wool, lots of fish, meat, and drinks.

Migrants also just arrived, among them many hammer and mace dwarves. I feel like the game is telling me to find magma and make at least some godsdamned weapons for everyone. I did get a lye maker, and as I need to make some soap he's actually a godsend, and a hammerdorf to boot!

EDIT: Alot of kids, many close to adulthood. I recieved a migrant wave of relativly yound dwarves with combat skills or kids. Awesome. Also it seems my animal trainers are learning elk bird and naked moledog, as many are listed as passing aquaintences implying they talk to eachother. Wat. (yes I'm aware of the bonding mechanic. Still. I like to think my dorfs speak mole dog/elk bird/crundle now.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24799 on: August 13, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

New embark is by a river. "Spurtingbabies, The Carnal Joy." I just threw up in my mouth. 

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24800 on: August 13, 2012, 05:14:00 pm »

As I had mention earlier, the Frozen Hell Tundra Fort of Rinsewhipped had breached the caverns earlier.

And now, crundles, crundles EVEYRWHERE.

The SwordDwarf I brought at embark (At the highest skill you can get at embark.) is now stationed full time down in the caves, picking off crundles left and right. Good training I suppose. So far there are 5 kills in her name, all of them crundles. Anyone want to bet how many kills she gets before the cavern is properly contained and exploited?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24801 on: August 13, 2012, 05:18:03 pm »

New embark is by a river. "Spurtingbabies, The Carnal Joy." I just threw up in my mouth.
This MUST become the next Mountainhome!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24802 on: August 13, 2012, 05:18:35 pm »

A polar bear has been sighted. At least one dwarf likes them so I wanna try and capture it and give it to them as a pet. Another goblin has decided that being captured and used as a pin cushion was a good idea and three more kobolds met thier end in the dog and puppy laden corridor.

And yes, I am going to risk lives and limbs to give one dorf who isn't even important a pet polar bear.

@ Mageziya - Corai fears crundles for a reason. They won't stop coming until you seal every entryway they have. Alterantivly to keeping her stationed fulltime down there, use a squad (I'm using macedwarves) to thin them out faster or load up on cages if possible on the entry to catch the little buggers. they can be used as a source of eggs, small bone stacks, totems, and expendable war animals to be deployed en masse in a  crundlebomb if enough are reared infort.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24803 on: August 13, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »

Unfortunately I have never done anything with animal training before, but a crundle bomb sounds interesting.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24804 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:38 pm »

Two trolls, one reacher, a handful of troglodytes and four goblins thieves in my pit. They're all best friends. None of them have attacked anything but the two rutherers I sent down to try and mess with them. What a shame.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24805 on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »

Unfortunately I have never done anything with animal training before, but a crundle bomb sounds interesting.
Train em, cage em, and hook that cage up to a lever. When gobbos come pull the lever and they swarm your enemies.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24806 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »

Nabbed the polar bear. Had a macedwarf go after it and  it dodged into the cages by the main entry that I set up for snatchers. If I can bag a breeding pair, I'll have a teeming swarm of crundles, dogs, and a few polar bears mixed in for good measure.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24807 on: August 13, 2012, 06:19:54 pm »

You have crundles too? BURN THE BASTARDS, BURN THEM WITH MAGMA.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24808 on: August 13, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »

No! Crundles make good training fodder for your tamers. And free training, though one managed to bite off my Macesergeant's ear.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24809 on: August 13, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »

Okay, so this was a bit hilarious.

Some wolves were poking around the giant hole in the ground that is my entrance, a bit too close for comfort. So I send my swordorf after them. He was apparently so covered in crundle blood that she left a trail of it chasing the wolves. A bit comical...I think.

Edit: I should mention, My entire fort is covered in miasmas because the miners don't want to mine out a refuse pile.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:51:06 pm by Mageziya »
Pages: 1 ... 1652 1653 [1654] 1655 1656 ... 3842