Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1651 1652 [1653] 1654 1655 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122684 times)

angrysully

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24780 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:25 am »

How fun is it to make gold coins to spread currency through your fort?

edit:  Drafted a dyer into the ranks of the xbow dwarves and fought his first enemy.  Great results.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:14:32 am by angrysully »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24781 on: August 13, 2012, 01:52:37 am »

Muterock finally met its end after several years of successful tantrum spiraling. A pair of goblin ambush parties killed everubody in town, except Litast McDwarvenBaby, who kept crawling about in the miasma, starving, thirsty and thoroughly miserable, until dying of dehydration.
Damn, it would have kicked ass to see that baby grow up. (Well, technically he did grow up to a child just before dying, but imagine what he'd been like as an adult...) Other highlights include a baby latching onto its berserking mother's left foot and shaking her around for a bit, before she bashed its skull in with her woodcutting axe. Talk about ankle-biters...
Your fortress has crumbled to its end.
I did learn a neato trick though:
You know how the 1-deep cavern lakes have mud all over the bottom, so any well above them will pull up water laced with mud? Okay, but that's my only water source... what to do?
A: Why, dig tunnels below the lake bed of course, and then dig an up ramp below the square below the well. Hey presto, the lake under the well is now 2 deep, with just a dusting of mud on the bottom tile. Clean water for everybody! \o/ (Obviously, you need to dig separate staircases down to the lake bed level for each well, as the tunnel to the up ramp will get flooded, and if it's connected to your main stairwell... Fun times.) Digging under a lake bed is a pain though, due to the "moist stone detected" cancellation spam.

Started another fort in an intersection of three evil biomes. Still no sign of zombified wildlife, but I did encounter another fun surprise... Although the site finder claimed there would be "sparse" vegetation and trees, there was not a single living plant on the surface. Good thing my "zombie apocalypse" embark kit includes a lot of wood and seeds...

Everything seemed to be going swimmingly, I was in the process of setting up magma forges and had even found a delicious Candy spire to dig into, when suddenly... everybody just starts dying. Of dehydration. What the eff? ???
There should be access to an underground lake, so it's not like there isn't any water available, not to mention I thought the brewing industry was going nicely. The well, however, is still dry because the idiot I sent to dig out the wellshaft managed to brain himself with a spinning gabbro.
Population plummeted to a single live dwarf before a wave of migrants came to save the day, though it remains to be seen whether they manage to end the thirst spiral in time...

[edit]Oh, and: It is raining putrid goo!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:34:40 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24782 on: August 13, 2012, 02:17:26 am »

I was thinking about trying to purge the syndrome contaminates from an increased area of the caverns with the greater capacity of my upgraded magma distribution system when a forgotten beast composed of flames arrived and is wandering about catching even the remotest areas on fire.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24783 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:49 am »

a single migrant wave and I got pushed to 77 dwarves from 20. The lesson: Never ever live by export of elk bird trinkets. On the plus side, I did capture a giant earthworm and a swarm of crundles, and my civ has become "Knowlegable" in elk bird husbandry.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24784 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:54 am »

The obstacle course at Mostod Ishlum is nearing completion - the first four participants have been selected.  Soon, the competition shall be started.

Spoiler: wide picture (click to show/hide)

<Cue Evil Cackle(tm)>

Cheerz and Beerz,
The Ever-Present Force.

PS: The grizzly herd has to be thinned out, so, grizzly burgers all round.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:47:18 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24785 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:50 am »

Pissed the tree humpers off because of a giant cave spider silk glove a goblin let us have happened to have some glass decorations on it. oh well. Still foisted most of that snatcher garbage on them before they left. Also, some giantesses can take being smashed in the head by two maces, three pairs of hands and feet, being beaten with a steel crossbow and shot multiple times.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24786 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »

Found out why my peasants and haulers kept exploding.

My automatic refuse dump works with a single minecart on a single track stop, and dumps anything anyone puts into the refuse pile into a magma hole, the magma being Z-1.  Apparently Jabberer corpses explode when exposed to magma, the result being a dorf catches on fire or is incinerated on the spot.

Despite my two waterfalls / misters, one got away (still on fire), had a meal (still on fire), then went to get a drink from the booze stockpile and blew up a third of my booze along with himself.

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24787 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »

Yay more migrants! perhaps the elves tales of there being NO BOOZE wasn't enough of an indicator that I really don't have alot to spare. And as always fishery workers are coming here for no discernable reason and if I get any more they'll be getting pressed into service as impromtue militant cavern sweepers. They'll be given wood wood shields, beating sticks and sent down to explore. Partially so I can restart my cloth industry (my weaver can't path to the silk he wants to gather because it's in unexplored cavernspace.)

I've also decided to capitalize on the daggers my annoying neighbors keep leaving and starting a dagger-buckler corps. These dorfs will use raw speed and monomolecularbladed knives to deal with aggressors. This is in light of the fact of too little wood to make fuel for some cheap copper axes and swords for my soldiers.

EDIT: Seems having a world infested with kobolds results in a rediculous number of soldiers with at least one kill. Also captured some rutherers, so.... Dunno what to make of that.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24788 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »

I finally dealt with the undead siege that had been going on for at least 18 months, merged with a second undead siege and co-opted carious goblin raiding and war parties into itself, to say nothing of the wild boars, water buffalo and other hapless animals that blundered into the site. I breached the aquifer from below to create a winding corridor to the far side of the river, lined by *spiked copper ball* traps. The corridor had to be long enough that any necromancer reanimating the corpses would eventually have to brave a trap himself. I probably over-engineered it, since the necromancers had left the map and only a war cave dragon skeleton made it past the first trap. 'Others: 460' down to 'Others: 33' in a season! And 28 of those are caged.

Finally able to open the front gate, I discovered that the drawback of pasturing wardogs in the entrance corridor. A kobold thief was spotted and thus ensued a benny-hill type of chase with kobold running all over the map pursued by 20 wardogs, and the wardogs pursued by dwarves with 'pen/pasture large animal' orders. And not just any dwarves, but my metalworkers who were the only dwarves with nothing to do at the time. Please don't be a goblin ambush! Please don't be a goblin ambush! Phew! They escaped unmolested.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24789 on: August 13, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »

three dwarves have now been born and a tragedy has struck the fortress:

A giant cave spider has been killed by a careless soldier. Ok well. It'll make a few fine meals at least....

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24790 on: August 13, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »

At Rinsewhipped, the Frozen Hell Tundra fort is doing.....okay.

If I remember correctly, it is hematite, 1061. The designation has been made for a mica trade depot, since my fort has a 3 (4?) layer thick aquifer I went a wee bit insane digging a giant hole.

We have breached the first cavern layer and have begun bending the mossy plain to my will for agricultural purposes. Walls will be designated shortly. I also realized I completely forget an axe, so I need to use some of my precious wood to make a training axe.

In terms of ores, it seems to be only hematite, but hey, I'm not complaining. Flux is plentiful, but I will need to import large amounts of charcoal/coke/wood to make pig iron and steel.

Meanwhile the design of the fort is nothing like the forts I usually make and it is bugging the hell out of me.

All in all, I think this fort will last a few years.

Inb4 a cave crocodile kills all my dwarves.

PS: Dwarven Radar is awesome, please don't fix it toady.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:32:10 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24791 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »

Just bought a bunch of booze, berries, an Alligator Snapping Turtle and a Gigantic Panda (which I immediately trained in the art of war) for silver crafts and gems. Hopefully the elves will send a diplomat to ask me to cut less trees, since I don't use wooden items that much anyway!

My animal trainers have been keeping themselves busy on rutherers and crundles. We've been learning more and more about the latter as we've been going on.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24792 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:40 pm »

Sold a weak rutherer and an elk bird to the humans, and a few bins of elk bird bone crafts yeilded us a ton of edibles and even some booze. I plan to extract the valley herb essence I got so I'll have some handy trading goods for this autumn. Also scored a flail for one of my macedwarves.

EDIT: Some goblins showed up to be dumped into the execution pit as live targets. Guess that means two kids when they grow to walk on thier own will get free goblin pants. I have a feeling I'll be reciving a small visit soon. I also await our first home-raised crundle swarm.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24793 on: August 13, 2012, 02:49:43 pm »

I've been making RP based decisions in my cold forest dwarf village. A pack of centaurs forced their way into my wood cutters house, nearly killed him, and remained inside until they kicked down his door. As a response I had him become paranoid and build a trap that swings a pick at anything coming through the door. Next season a wooly mammoth wandered inside, sprung the trap, got it's throat slashed open, and died in his bedroom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24794 on: August 13, 2012, 03:03:06 pm »

I've been making RP based decisions in my cold forest dwarf village. A pack of centaurs forced their way into my wood cutters house, nearly killed him, and remained inside until they kicked down his door. As a response I had him become paranoid and build a trap that swings a pick at anything coming through the door. Next season a wooly mammoth wandered inside, sprung the trap, got it's throat slashed open, and died in his bedroom.

That. Is. Awesome.

So it seems my idea was right. It's autumn and the biseasonal elk bird migration is in progress, accompanied by crundles. The weaker specimens will yeild good food, and stronger ones will be bred to make more productive  livestock. Butchered the donkey and bull the humans sold me, armed one of my macedwarves with the iron flail, an got a copper mace made for the other. Considering trading a platinum goblet for a halberd, though I don't know if dwarves are big enough to use them at all. I still have a rediculous amount of bones from a prior crundle war and culling the elk birds, and since I can't grow surface crops, I figure I can still buy the seeds and cook them. Ah, chicken and elk bird egg omlets with elk bird meat mixed in and given a generous sprinking of minced prickle berry seeds.
Pages: 1 ... 1651 1652 [1653] 1654 1655 ... 3842