Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969179 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21225 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:08 am »

The new Dwarvern Fortressmine of Ribaroslan, or Homagewound in the common tongue, is open for business. So far the dwarves are content with  lack of management skills of their expedition leader Veree Shortbottom and her terrible handling of alcohol production. She has set the dwarves to toil the deep in search of metals and precious gems.
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21226 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:53 am »

i killed the necromancer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Armok cursed you for cheating ( I assume that you used DFHack->Reveal )

[EDIT] oh, thought you were silently declaring a fort-wide flood - was that intentional to kill the Necro?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21227 on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:19 am »

Bronzeprhase is going well. First force of darkness was handled well by 1 squad of crossbows and a melee squad of mixed weapons. It also turns out that the first suspect as a vampire was wrong. The mayor I had appointed was the vampire that had framed the poor guy. Resulting in him getting badly beaten and conscripted into the militia. So now the REAL vampire has been made to join the militia. He has now drained 6 dwarves. And as long as I keep getting massive migrant waves this shouldn't be too much of an issue as he seems to have picked on them more. He took a few spear hits by a goblin and didn't break a sweat. Responding by jumping on the first goblin in a siege he got to and biting the things nose off then stabbing him in the skull. With the goblins spear still lodged in him. Another goblin grabbed it and pulled it out. He healed fine after the battle. Vampire militia rocks.

The fort now predominantly subsists off of Strawberries, whip vine and longland grass that's grown locally and brewed or cooked with duck/turkey eggs in lavish meals. Nearly got mead production ready. And I've been able to import enough copper/bronze/iron/steel to decently arm my main melee squad from trading and melting down copper items to make bronze using locally mined tin. Until I start delving down to get candy I I think melee squads are going to have a patchwork of different gear materials. The militia have wooden crossbows and leather armor for all. Hunting on their down time.

Edit: Turns out i have a second vampire. a female this time that was the mayor of a dwarven town before she turned and left. Along with having been in 5 other homes before coming here. I also notice that if they don't say they enjoyed food or a drink lately this will likely hint they are a vampire. Well thats 2 confirmed vamps in the militia now with a suspected 3rd being singled upon. Should be fun to see what half a squad of them can accomplish.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:37:26 am by Lexx »

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21228 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:34 am »

I wanted to make a nice underground river and opened the floodgates.

I forgot to depressurize the water coming in from the river and everyone drowned.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21229 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:03 am »

I just saw the extent of Cog Combinedrazors' family; a husband, three sons, mother, father, paternal grandparents, four older brothers,  four older sisters, maternal grandparents, two younger brothers, three younger sisters, eleven aunts, fifteen uncles, twenty-five nieces (among whom a Nako Kutsmobsnosstrosp and an Atu Nabokxuspgas; must have been kidnapped by goblins), twenty-four nephews (some goblin names there as well) and NINETY cousins. Damn. Obviously only a fraction of all this is actually in Lertethdodok. They could make their own clan, their own army.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21230 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »

My fortress of Spiderbaits lived up to its name. I've now captured and trained a Giant Cave Spider. Due to a misunderstanding of the training status of a Cave Crocodile I just caught I pastured the beast with my spider. Since the croc was not actually trained yet it bit the dwarf that brought her there in half. In response the GCS attacked. The following duel was a epic as it was one sided. The spider, true to form, webbed the crocodile til it could not move then bit her til she died.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21231 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:56 pm »

First ambush ever. Bowgoblins with a spear. Never trust on bone/shell leggings. And some of my marksdwarfs, including the commander, aren't even wearing the mail shirt I ordered them to wear beneath the breastplate. The others are.

Edit; what the FUCK. Goblin copper arrows tear guts THROUGH iron breastplates and chip bones THROUGH iron mail shirts. COPPER.
Edit2; a second ambush. Instead of bows +1 spear they're lashers + 1 axe. I thought that meant I was boned seeing as they're lashers. But the Dwarf caravan guards stomped those lashers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:30:03 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21232 on: March 26, 2012, 12:23:09 pm »

When I get home and play DF, I'm going to have my carpenter make a shitload of spikes for a few weapon traps. I'll probably keep four spikes to a trap. A little overkill, yes, but I like seeing that gore fly.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21233 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:35 pm »

First ambush ever. Bowgoblins with a spear. Never trust on bone/shell leggings. And some of my marksdwarfs, including the commander, aren't even wearing the mail shirt I ordered them to wear beneath the breastplate. The others are.

Edit; what the FUCK. Goblin copper arrows tear guts THROUGH iron breastplates and chip bones THROUGH iron mail shirts. COPPER.
Arrows and bolts are supersonic kinetic weapons.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #21234 on: March 26, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »

My fort seems to be running pretty good.  Which is bad.  Because I'm trying to blog about it, but nothing really cool is happening.  I need to build something.  Something obscene.  But I don't know what....

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21235 on: March 26, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »

Arrows and bolts are supersonic kinetic weapons.
'parently. Very rude. Lost three marksdwarfs. To ONE group of archers. :?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21236 on: March 26, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »

Huzzah, the first naked mole puppy was born.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

kardofaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21237 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »

On lock down after goblin siege - built up too much wealth before I had military properly set and prepared. I've been attacked before but nothing like this one. Could be the accumulation of over 250 dwarves, but there were about 15 trolls, 30 goblins, and several winged beasts facing off against nine squads of three dwarves each. Three of which didn't participate. I didn't realize the size until it was too late.

My commander was the last to die, fought the hardest, even while surrounded for what seemed like an eternity. I plan on constructing a danger room, training 40 dwarves, and building a trap maze to reclaim topside. Currently, my army uses copper armor and weapons. I have plenty of stone I can turn to iron. My fortress is called The Infamous Iron and they'll soon know why.

All my livestock are dead. Thankfully I have an underground farm and plenty of pig tail seeds.

I had an elven caravan foolishly enter my fortress as the siege happened. The went insane and my remaining three soldiers and citizens had to kill them. I got my stuff back that I traded for wood. I shouldn't have any shortages (especially when I find a cavern) until I break surface. My only non-renewable source is bones - which I'm not worried about. I'm completely functional underground.

Hopefully another siege won't add to their numbers next year, otherwise, I'm safe unless someone pulls the bridge lever.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:31:34 pm by kardofaces »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21238 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »

My pair of vampire swordsdwarves militia took down a double ambush just the two of them. One had 6 fractured bones but was able to walk himself to the hospital afterwards unaided. The other had most of the bones in her right leg up to the thigh smashed by a silver flail. Within 2 months both had not a scratch on them. Neither complained about thirst either. DEFINITELY vampires.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #21239 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:32 pm »

My fort seems to be running pretty good.  Which is bad.  Because I'm trying to blog about it, but nothing really cool is happening.  I need to build something.  Something obscene.  But I don't know what....

Obscene you say? Why not make the fort in the shape of a male's genitalia?
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.
Pages: 1 ... 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 ... 3839