Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969354 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21210 on: March 26, 2012, 04:44:05 am »

Reminds me, my latest wave of migrants was sizable even if you count only the adults, but there were at least three couples of parents. One with two children, one with nine and one with eleven (!). I'm glad they didn't bring all their spawn, my fort of 55 has 14 children now.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21211 on: March 26, 2012, 04:48:16 am »

Urist McMechanic is unhappy : He is embarrassed to have no shoes!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #21212 on: March 26, 2012, 05:00:58 am »

I got distracted by a huge stockpiling reshuffle, and half the fort got dehydrated.

then focused brewing and making coffins like there is no tomorrow, filling twenty barrels and sixty coffins.

then a forgotten beast happened. fire breathing off course. the militia was effective, even if ill prepared, as there were no metal of sort on that area, except for tin. only two dwarves had actual armor and weapons, steel bought off from caravan and iron from goblins; they couldn't hold the beast for long, but they broke a lot of its bones and teared a lot of its fat first. in the end, they succumbed, one after another, due combat or slowly burning to death. in all that smoke, it was quite difficult to track what was going on in the fortress.

more militia was drafted, and killed.

ultimately, a child and a stark raving mad survived the rampage.

couldn't wall them off, couldn't get them to hide. the child, alone, in the burrow with food and booze, waiting his death. the stark raving mad dwarf running around in the fortress, chased by the forgotten beast.

after some time, while hoping in some military immigrant to save me, the settlement crumbled.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21213 on: March 26, 2012, 05:06:09 am »

population: 58
MIGRANT WAVE
"oh well we could use some more dorfs"
Dorf therapist:
"60 and rising"
"okay"
"70 and rising"
"fine"
"80 and rising"
"how many are they?"
"90 and rising"
"FOR THE LOVE OF STOPPP"
"100 and rising"
"what the ffffff"
"113 dorfs accounted for! 24 children!! baby explosion! ten new childrens!"
"123 dorfs counting."
"and this is why you must always have a migrant room for atomsmashing useless stuff"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21214 on: March 26, 2012, 05:08:03 am »

Urist McMechanic is unhappy : He is embarrassed to have no shoes!
Not a Belkar, then.

A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21215 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:25 am »

Now focusing on carving fortifications in the antechamber and building an archers' nest above the entran...

> A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Oh carp. Too soon. D:
Time to whip out some burrow designations and button up the fort I guess. Too bad my miners are currently busy digging the pit under the bridge deeper, and there's only one way in or out of there, a tunnel leading right up to the map edge. They probably won't make it indoors. :-\
Well, that went better than expected. The goblin siege and the Cyclops that came calling after the gobbos left were defeated with the loss of only five-ish dwarfs, thanks to the partially functional Bridge-o-DOOM™ and my untrained militia being more badass than I gave them credit for. Even the miners got out of the pit in time. The goblins caught some woodcutters unawares, but decided to retreat after taking a few plunges into the bridge pit. (Opening and closing the inner fort-sealing drawbridge causes them to path in and out across the pit-bridge.)
The cyclops beat the stuffing out of two civilians before the militia set upon her and broke her toes. Then one of the more innovative militiadwarves figured out you can actually shoot bolts with a crossbow instead of beating your enemy over the head with it. That was pretty much curtains for the cyclops.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21216 on: March 26, 2012, 05:57:02 am »

i killed the necromancer

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21217 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:31 am »

Welp... there was a minor mishap with the well (I forgot things can go up wells.... Wound up flooding the area around it but thankfully only temporary gaps in the wall) A few snatchers stopped by, and migrant season is approaching. Oh, and only three snatchers escaped. the other 4 who dropped by got torn to shreds by the thicket of untrained dogs and my grox herd on the way out with 36 angry men and women on thier asses, one of who was kicked to death by the water wheels, one ripped to shreds before soldiers could respond by the main tunnel into the the settlment proper. Last one did a combination of play chew toy and drowning victim while a spear man and his pet dog both bit, punched, and kicked him to death. FInally thanks to my modding habits, have enough food to go around, at least until that 30+  migrant wave shows up and eats everything in one shot.... This is honestly the first time I want a ranged ambush to happen...

I still need more weapons or forge fuel... I only have two stubguns and an autgun for weaponry and maybe 75 bullets for 5 men?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21218 on: March 26, 2012, 06:39:39 am »

I love the RNG. In my previous fortress a coat named Armor, just now a kobold with the perfectly fine Dutch name 'Joris' appeared and the Civilization Names are practically spot on as well;
The Gilded Earth
The Busy Realms (I shit you not)
Dlumer (of course)
The Constructive Pears
The Helmed Monster.

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21219 on: March 26, 2012, 07:06:46 am »

i've got a fat named cave crocodile attack me, and take out some children (great service there), then my 10 man squad engages it, all the wrestlers punch it tearing its muscles, while the guys equipped with steel are slicing away at its far. i'd say it's been going on for well over a season, the thing is too exhausted to fight back, but is just too fat to die.

is fat stronger than steel? :)
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21220 on: March 26, 2012, 07:13:03 am »

spiral tantrum due to marksdwarves charging the goblins instead of letting the legendary swordmasters do their job

well, this is a downside of having the entire fortress drafted in military with crossbows...

Moral of this story? Dedicate several forges and smiths to full-time bolt production and a leatherworker to making quivers.

In other news, volcano fort so far is doing well. Just sold off some fancy gold trinkets and pig tail fiber shoes for a bunch of food, booze, silk, and leather. I'm hoping my broker (who is also the best metal crafter) gets his act together and make a few more so I can attract workers for a megaproject I havent't quite cdecided on yet. Maybe a gaint surface temple made of all the obsidian and olivine I mined out.....

wrong, the moral is handing weapons to all dwarves makes tantrum spirals more FUN

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21221 on: March 26, 2012, 07:34:31 am »

Currently putting my defences together.  I have a long, exposed walk-way with a multi-Z-level pit.  I have carved fortifications overlooking the walk-way.  All underground, of course.  I am going to set up a series of traps, as well.  Ideally, the pit will be dug to the first series of caverns.  Goblins who fall will NOT be returning, or otherwise hanging about.

Need to train up some Marksdwarves.  I also need to ensure a steady supply of bolts, which means a series of forges.  I will have to dig down to the magma layer very soon.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21222 on: March 26, 2012, 07:37:45 am »

I dug out a clothing sweatshop. I take useless dwarves, assign them a chair and a table, and then disable all their labors and give them clothesmaking.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21223 on: March 26, 2012, 07:44:59 am »

Ideally, the pit will be dug to the first series of caverns.  Goblins who fall will NOT be returning, or otherwise hanging about.
How 'bout Forgotten Beasts that fly up and out of the pit? ???
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21224 on: March 26, 2012, 07:55:03 am »

marksdorfs are there for a reason
Pages: 1 ... 1413 1414 [1415] 1416 1417 ... 3839