Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121657 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20595 on: March 14, 2012, 12:44:24 am »

I've came up with a plan to breach the circus and survive with only sheer dwarf-power.

Let the 'Circus'breaker Plan commence!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20596 on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:31 am »

Exploring the branch of a cavern on my latest embark, that rises 36 z-levels and stops just short of connecting to the next cavern up. 1 channel designation, is all I would need, and I could walk a total of 40 z-levels between the 2 caverns. Need to make sure this fort survives for an adventure mode run :-D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20597 on: March 14, 2012, 03:20:37 am »

Let's see what it is this time ... "Export of bin prohibited".

"NO I TAKE IT BACK, ILL MAKE THOSE 1000 MINI-FORGES, ANYTHING BUT THAT"

seriously though, i am NEVER going to allow a mayor who likes bins to live, that would suck!

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20598 on: March 14, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

I will sum it up with a transcript of a discussion I had with a friend:

Andreus Ixiris > This is like the tenth time in a row the humans have tried to sell me barrels of gorilla blood
Friar Kite > ...
Friar Kite > What
Andreus Ixiris > They just straight out have barrels of gorilla blood for sale in their trade caravan
Andreus Ixiris > It's like, yeah, tall human dudes, seriously, I appreciate the effort you must have gone to to find and kill enough gorillas to fill up entire barrels with their blood, and then preserve it in such a way that it's potable
Andreus Ixiris > No, really, I think that's A for effort right there
Andreus Ixiris > But I still don't want to buy that
Andreus Ixiris > I cannot see a pressing need in my fortress for that kind of product
Andreus Ixiris > If in future days my fortress suddenly begins experiencing a horrific gorilla blood deficit
Andreus Ixiris > Don't worry, you guys will be the first people I call
Andreus Ixiris > I mean I sort of worry that the humans think that this is what dwarves want
Andreus Ixiris > And they're going to all this effort because they genuinely want to make attractive trade products for my fortress
Andreus Ixiris > And we're just shooting them down every time
Andreus Ixiris > I sometimes wonder if their advisor on dwarves is trolling them or something
Friar Kite > Yeah like, he's this fat fuck who knows shit all about dwarves and he just sits there all day in the castle and eats
Friar Kite > Caravan comes back
Friar Kite > "Yeah dude they didn't go for the gorilla blood again, what the fuck gives?"
Friar Kite > DO YOU DOUBT ME?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20599 on: March 14, 2012, 03:39:35 am »

good, your friend understands dwarf fortress perfectly.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20600 on: March 14, 2012, 03:43:44 am »

seriously though, i am NEVER going to allow a mayor who likes bins to live, that would suck!
Cull the mandates when you when you want to take them to the depot. So long as the bins don't leave the map with the traders, the mandate is upheld. Or do you actually trade your bins away? Does everyone do this?

I bring the bins to the trade depot, then sell the individual items in them. Not like bins are all that valuable anyways, and it saves a lot of dwarf power and resources that go into making them.

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #20601 on: March 14, 2012, 04:35:42 am »

I bring the bins to the trade depot, then sell the individual items in them. Not like bins are all that valuable anyways, and it saves a lot of dwarf power and resources that go into making them.

Yeah I do this too- I sell the items from inside the bins, not the bins themselves.
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20602 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:19 am »

New fort, revealing to see what i got.

FLUX ! COAL ! MAGNETITE ! :D

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #20603 on: March 14, 2012, 05:10:33 am »

New fort, revealing to see what i got.

FLUX ! COAL ! MAGNETITE ! :D

Strike It! IMMEDIATELY!!
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20604 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:38 am »

My fortress was about to die from dehydration on a hot/scorching (either, can't recall) biome, due to me forgetting to bring a bloody farmer in the starting seven :P No water anywhere on the map.

Received a short rain in the spring of the second year, and managed to collect some of it into small cisterns below murky pools. Seems like I can make it until the next caravan arrives with more seeds.

The site is one of the most awesome in a while, containing tetrahedrite, magnetite, flux, three veins of candy and a curious structure. No near-surface magma or coal though, but a thick forest makes up for some of that. I also have a few wolverine men roaming about that are constantly enraged at all enemies. Possibly psychotic, as they have no other combat logs, they just rage.

I'm thinking of setting up a mandatory military service with a short basic training period and occasional patrol duties and training sessions after that. In conflict, every troop will be mobilised and equipped with a spear, a shield and mail armor, supported by a few well-trained steel-clads and a crossbow squad. I want to see an angry mob of ~200 militia dwarves charging at a goblin siege. The blood, gore and tantruming.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20605 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:40 am »

Save corrupted.
Turned on autosave & backup, turned off compression, genned a new world.
A volcano, lots of minerals, 3 hostile civilizations and a tower for fun.
STRIKE THE EARTH

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20606 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:55 am »

So there I was, bereft of iron but swimming in limestone. Poop I thought, how annoying.

Then I started properly digging around in the limestone.. madre de dios I have every single ore of iron, a crapload of platinum, silver and gold!

Now I'm converting all my migrants to wood burners and furnace operators
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:36:11 am by zehive »

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20607 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:12 am »

every single ore of iron, a crapload of platinum, silver and gold!
Sounds like how embark sites used be back in 40d.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20608 on: March 14, 2012, 06:45:02 am »

So there I was, bereft of iron but swimming in limestone. Poop I thought, how annoying.

Then I started properly digging around in the limestone.. madre de dios I have every single ore of iron, a crapload of platinum, silver and gold!

Now I'm converting all my migrants to wood burners and furnace operators

Limestone on your map => you have iron. no exceptions.

Unless you play with low mineral frequency. I always play on highest.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20609 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:27 am »

"This adorable animal can't work"

Well we're slaughtering you, then. We need food and there just happens to 50+ dogs.
If you can't be of use, we will EAT YOU AND USE YOUR SKIN FOR LEATHER!

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.
Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 [1374] 1375 1376 ... 3842