Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100815 times)

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18330 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:20 am »

Started out on a volcano so i began to move everything and everyone over beside it.A giant mole and a giant rat wandered by but i didnt pay them much heed because my dwarves didnt...until they each stole 5 plump helmets from my food store.I chased them both but only got yhe mole.Annoyed I went back to digging out the fortress only to find that one of the miners stopped working and insisted on standing next to the dead mole.Took an hour to figure out that his pick was still stuck in the moles head.
That's odd, a dead creature should no longer have items stuck inside it and even if it did that shouldn't stop movement. Is it possible the miner was injured and unable to return to work?
It's possible the dead mole attacked the miner, got the pick lodged in it's head, miner loses hold of the pick, mole dies.
According to the combat report thats what happened.The last blow struck was to the head and it lodged firmly.Oddly enough I had to claim the item to get it back.Can only assume that since the mole died with it stuck in its head the pick counted as belonging to it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18331 on: January 16, 2012, 08:37:47 am »

According to the combat report thats what happened.The last blow struck was to the head and it lodged firmly.Oddly enough I had to claim the item to get it back.Can only assume that since the mole died with it stuck in its head the pick counted as belonging to it.

Adventure mode principle at its best - If the arrow's lodged in you, you can keep it >:£

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18332 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:53 am »

• Deal with all the captured prisoners. This includes all those goblin thieves I've been putting off because I know I can't safely pit them.

I've been able to pit thieves but not right out of a built cage.

You disarm them by performing a d-b dump over the cage, then unmark their cage for dumping.

Then you need some cage trap between the thief's current cage and the exit. The thief will get caught in this second cage when he or she invariably escapes and tries to exit the map. Not valid if the thief gets shot on the way by off-duty marksmen.

As long as the thief is still assigned a pit and you have two haulers, one dwarf will carry the thief out of the cage trap, back towards the stockpile. On his way there, another hauler will swipe the thief out of the cage and go pit the thief without a problem. The first hauler will put the empty cage from the trap in the animal stockpile.

This also works for ropes/chains, but once the animal hauler chains up the goblin, the goblin will start fighting the hauler.

Death123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18333 on: January 16, 2012, 09:10:44 am »

Lost my three best soldiers.. Now is everyone angry and smashing things in my fort.
I've the police on my side (for now) and are beating the crap out of them!

Then I ragequit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18334 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:53 am »

I lost two of my starting seven when Eland wandered into the fort and started kicking people to death. One of the miners had apparently managed to make friedns with both of them and immediately attacked another miner piercing his heart. The injured miner scored a lucky headshot killing the aggressor instantly and then dying a moment later. I have two miners and a metal worker left, one of the miners had his wrist shattered by an eland and my only male mastiff was killed as well. A cow got revenge by kicking an eland and knocking it off the volcano smashing it's head instantly. I have three miserable dwarves and an enormous tower to build.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18335 on: January 16, 2012, 09:57:43 am »

What's an eland? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18336 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:38 am »

2nd spring!!

Big image: primary moat completed

Spoiler: Underground facilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: cavern woe (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ninjabear53

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18337 on: January 16, 2012, 10:30:19 am »

I started a new fortress on the Digging Deeper mod. Started on a Terrifing Biome with like 3 tiles of Wilderness mixed in there are elephents everywhere and the first month a Gaint Jaguar was there too but never came too close to attack i moved them all inside finding some stone and because i only really recently learned how to engrave(im a horrible person i know) i had them engrave a little part of a hallway and i was looking them over and im a little worried about one of them. he engraved on the floor my exabition leader Hugging a bear O.o and then in my soon to be statue room he engrave in a row pretty much next to eachother  Two humans in a cage, seaweed, and teak. and from that i come to the conclusion that my engraver has problems......

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18338 on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:59 am »

backdikes is doing great!
there is just some minor hunger problems and the water moat is still not finished, but the third floor is finished and im making a two tailed snake engraving that I will adore because I came up with it on a whim.

also im becoming better at engraving because of it, and the various floors.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18339 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:31 am »

Had a goblin siege with two squads led by elite crossbowmen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He died of blood loss after a week or however long it takes.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18340 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18341 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:19 am »

What's an eland?
It's an antelope thing, genesis adds them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18342 on: January 16, 2012, 11:24:52 am »

Id Shemuker made an artifact toy hamer called, Id Shemuker.... I don't know, he sounds a bit arrogant

great, goblin ambush.... WHA ... lashers... moderately skilled militia captain faces one, one, two, out. The good news, a cage bridge captured almost all, only one still running free

the remaining lasher wiped out my militia completely and then ran into a wildlife trap

on the positive side, I can now make a lasher squad of my own
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:54:58 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18343 on: January 16, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

A Skink Fiend diplomat showed up at Dragonward and promptly attacked one of the local wild Panda women. It has poisonous vapors, which has me very worried about letting him inside the fortress proper.

Other than that nothing interesting has happened.

The ☼turkey hen egg roast☼ and ☼llama intestine stuffing pot☼ stockpiles are overflowing to the nth degree! Exporting mountains of the exceptional quality food stuffs to every caravan just so the cooks don't have to be run out of town.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:31:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18344 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »

Siege, with a... lacking military. I lock the doors and wait a little, and then decide "what the hell, lets kill some of these guys". Opening the gate, I send out two of my better legendary dwarves. One decides to go eat... crap. Well, I got one with a named sword! wait, he dropped it somewhere? he's using a mediocre copper sword now? crap. he's dead. Well, at least I have the door locked. wait, they got inside? how did... I forgot to lock the other door? crap. Military is overpowered and slaughtered, adn I have no real other defense against these guys.

Let this be a lesson to future dwarves - always make sure you have this thing called "a military".

Other lessons learned at Taillanterns:
- building apartent towers is a relatively effective way of managing housing.
- dormitories have to be closer than hostpitals for bedding.
- various details about freezing and bathing
- walls are important to prevent archers on higher ground shooting down into your pit.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 [1223] 1224 1225 ... 3842