Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101566 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18240 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:13 pm »

Possibly a split second after I loaded my save up, this happened.
Are they capturable in cages?

[EDIT:] apparently they are, but I have no cages set up at the entrance, and I can't pull the lever for the drawbridge because it's gone mysteriously missing again.

Alright, squads in action!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:26:28 pm by Reudh »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18241 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:32 pm »

Possibly a split second after I loaded my save up, this happened.
Are they capturable in cages?

All mega and semi megabeasts have trapavoid. If you want to capture them you need to stun them with a cave-in or get a GCS to web your traps since being unconcious or webbed negates trapavoid.

In other news everything that is not my forterss is on fire because those goddamn serpentmen come back every goddamn season and go chasing a goddamn donkey or something all over the map and set every single thing that is not the impenetrable fortress they're trying to lay siege to on fire. Stop setting everything on fire, it isn't working. The same thing happens every time, the salamander (who breathes and is immune to fire) decides that instead of just stabbing the donkey he's going to set it on fire. Then the donkey not wanting to be on fire runs all over the map and the salamander just sprays fire everywhere burning his teammates (who are not fireproof) to death breaking they're own siege and murdering my FPS. FUCK YOU SALAMANDER STOP SETTING EVERYTHING ON FIRE!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18242 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »

Well, i sent the army of seventeen out to deal with the BC. One injury, a militia captain (maceman) managed to miss the bronze colossus despite it lying on the ground and it counterstruck, pushing him so hard his ribs were broken.

our militia commander got the kill, slashing it in the head with his =steel short sword= and severing it.
A second later, i get the message 'Revax' Tradedblock the Flickering Fang of Fountains has bestowed the name Utteredbraids on a steel short sword.

Weee!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18243 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »

I figured that there has to be a way to clean up all this clutter on my map. I know, I'll build home workshops for everyone! One two-story building is almost finished for a dedicated clothier or two (haven't decided yet). You know what else? I see a rock shortage in my future! That's right, a rock shortage - where I'll have to mine again for the purpose of making rock blocks. Oh, the giddy feelings aren't natural.

The order of bismuth and tin came in btw, and I've made a good deal of bismuth bronze bars. I'm not sure what i'm going to do with them yet, as my military is going to be exclusively steel.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18244 on: January 13, 2012, 09:57:56 pm »

I figured that there has to be a way to clean up all this clutter on my map. I know, I'll build home workshops for everyone! One two-story building is almost finished for a dedicated clothier or two (haven't decided yet). You know what else? I see a rock shortage in my future! That's right, a rock shortage - where I'll have to mine again for the purpose of making rock blocks. Oh, the giddy feelings aren't natural.

The order of bismuth and tin came in btw, and I've made a good deal of bismuth bronze bars. I'm not sure what i'm going to do with them yet, as my military is going to be exclusively steel.

Shields.  Steel is not the best material for shields.  Heavier metals are better.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18245 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »

Tombrabbits. Chaos.

A horse mauls a child

Good to see that the dwarves haven't forgotten the clown that really screwed everything up.

Giant showed up. Nothing special, and his pathing was awful. He ignored the butchers to follow god knows what.

Good thing, cause his friend Ab showed up

The kids are off busy vandalizing some outer walls. I think the queen put them up to it.

And our day ends with geese

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18246 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:32 pm »

Lots of smoothing and stone hauling for the expansion of my bedroom area and dining hall. Currently casting 10 or so gold statues to line the hall way leading to my dining hall. I've also got a ramshackle military currently training, but I'm not noticing any increases in skill on Dwarf Therapist. How do you properly set training, or is it supposed to be slow?

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18247 on: January 13, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »

2nd forgotten beast visited rapidships, and wished it hadn't. A humanoid with a shell and deadly spittle made of red grossular, send the military after it, 2 losses, no injured, and it's laying in broken pieces in the caverns. Most of my "recruits" have been promoted to <weapon>dwarf status as a result, save one, who, despite the +steel battle axe+ in her hand, insists on punching everything to death.. who was made a wrestler.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18248 on: January 13, 2012, 11:20:44 pm »

> Mistem McMayor has mandated the production of certain goods.

> Make adamantine item (x2)

Aside from that, everything is proceeding according to what little planning I ever have.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:24:54 pm by proxn_punkd »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18249 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:29 am »

Twin ambushes of axegoblins and lashers in quick succession. Puny goblins were run off quickly and easily---

NO!

Ral Ralsolon, Legendary Armorer has been struck down.
Ral ignored her burrow restrictions and went wandering trying to pick up a sock. She was friends with half of the fortress, as well as the mayor's lover.
Damn it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18250 on: January 14, 2012, 12:42:52 am »

My fortress is flooding with lava again.

This time I'm going to savescum.

Also, this seems appropriate:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/12/the-year-in-volcanic-activity/100209/
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18251 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:16 am »

Our baroness went from Ecstatic to Unhappy in one thought because the mayor had a room slightly worse than hers instead of extremely worse.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: January 14, 2012, 12:58:02 am »

..again? What did you do this time, forget the power shutoff?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18253 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:06 am »

..again? What did you do this time, forget the power shutoff?

Nope - a troll smashed an important floodgate and the redundancy wasn't in yet.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18254 on: January 14, 2012, 02:09:37 am »

More goblins, this time just a bunch of sword and axe gobs, the added twist to the walls worked as planned, it forced them to enter in a 3-wide column without my dwarves rushing them in open fields,, so they couldn't surround us, while our military could push them away from the wounded who fell behind. Lost a recruit, but everyone who survived now has some mail of either steel, iron, or bronze, from the merchants last autumn or made from bars we got from the merchants, so far fewer injuries and limbs lost than last time, one axedwarf lost her leg, but the doctor thinks a bandage, a crutch, a quick cleaning, and some stitches and she'll be back to fighting in no time.

In less bloody news, we've got a legendary metalcrafter - he went fey and made an absolutely perfect figure of a chipmunk in copper, with hanging bands of copper... I'm not sure why a chipmunk, really, he just seems to love chipmunks, but it's really cute, and he's been spitting out masterpiece silver trade goods in the months since, so I'm not about to complain.

Wood is no longer an issue, with the military as it is, most hostile cave creatures don't make it more than a few steps past the edge of the map so we can harvest subterranean wood in relative peace, a giant cave spider got a recruit not long ago, but that's what you get for biting a giant frikkin' spider, dumbass. Unsurprisingly, this brilliant recruit had no friends or family, and no one cared much for him, so the loss was not serious anyway.

The economy around here isn't going too badly, about 600k created wealth, mostly in silver trade goods, engravings, and some silk and plant fiber clothing.

The mayor is mandating aluminum goods, but we have no aluminum available so unfortunately someone will be sent to jail for this I fear. Unfortunate, but such is life in a dwarven fortress.

Population still only 62, Migrants have been scarce lately.
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 3842