Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1213 1214 [1215] 1216 1217 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101538 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18210 on: January 12, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »

I recently started a new fortress, as the last one reached fps hell. (My fault. I turned on moving water. Bad idea....)

I am currently building a 20+ z-level green glass wall aound the perimeter.

I have always wanted to build a structur so high that the game runs out of z-levels, but always hit other problems before then.

I have disabled invaders as I usually do when creating a megalithic structure project, but one of the features is to be a remote operated maze of bridges sandwiched between narrow labyrinth walls.  The idea is to selectively control how the invaders path through the maze, by forcing them to walk across bridges that extend over holes into the Z-level below. This way I can make a clear path to the trade depot when merchants come, or activate "carnival funtime" during a siege.

Specifically placed floodgates will increase the funtime part, after trapping the invaders by raising bridges.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18211 on: January 12, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »

I set up a fort in a jungle with medium savagery,  things were humming along when I accidentally flooded the lower half, in trying to clear it out I breached the caverns and unleashed 3 forgotten beasts.  They killed most of the fort, 2 of them died, and finally a big hairy mammoth was lurking in my living quarters occasionally lashing out and killing more.  I managed to get it walled off with only 2 dwarves remaining.  Migrants have brought this up to 11 and are now busy cleaning up and burying the dead.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18212 on: January 12, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

Embarked on a volcano with the specific purpose of using an industry I don't normally use: Glass! I've got the glassworks running at full tilt, and holy shit my wealth in already a million and this is only year 2! Heh, green glass serrated discs FTW!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18213 on: January 12, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »

Vathi Demonpuppets died and the cavern grass finally burned out on the side the amphibian people live on. Two of them survived his attack: the friendly male and a hostile female. I wonder if I can get rid of her without making him hostile again. It might be fun to have him as a pet.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18214 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:09 pm »

The Vathezzan outpost liaison has come to promote Limulunnos to a Barony. They don't seem to mind their entire caravan was killed.

the Captain of the Guard, a weak but pleasant dwarf by the name of Zefon Abodnish has been chosen to be a baron. Zefon likes easy to obtain things, and Adamantine. Which means that once Cavern Layer Two is secure, the fort is going to be slowly moved down there.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18215 on: January 13, 2012, 12:36:36 am »

Things are fairly relaxed at Rapidwhip now, a new migrant wave brought us to 76 citizens, and 27 military. The 7 new recruits have been put on troglodyte duty to get them use to their new maces, while the 20 veterans deal with a new wave of ice wolves above ground. Still no armour-worthy metals, not even copper, so things are looking bad when the goblins decide to check up on us, but against the local wildlife the scraps of metal from caravans mixed with leather and some shield training is working fairly well. Last year I requested all the chain and plate armour the mountainhome can spare so the caravan next month will be a welcome sight for our military, I also requested as many metal bars of weapon and armour quality as they can spare, even copper mail would be an improvement for most of our leather-clad defenders.

Update:

for f***'s sake I am never doing this melee only thing with no armour ores again, I am getting wrecked by about a dozen goblins, 4 lashers with silver whips, 2 spearmen who died almost instantly, and 6 marksgobs who's bolts have no problem penetrating leather... -.-;; the only ones surviving are my veterans who have decend shield skill and what little metal armour we've gathered, the military of 27 is already down to 18, with a few heavily wounded, and the fight isn't over yet... we're a bit screwed...

update2:

Well, we won, sorta.. 14 left from the military (so 13 of our least trained recruits are dead) and 5 civilians died... Seems no one popular died though, so maybe we can salvage this, no one is unhappy save the injured who can't do too much harm from the hospital beds, otherwise everyone is fairly content. We're still screwed if they send a larger group next time, but at least the better trained of our forces have shown they can survive a hail of arrows and lashes from silver whips, and now we have some spare metal bits and pieces to melt down.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:22:07 am by Jenniretta »

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18216 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:12 am »

Started new map, all flat, awesome.

Use dwarf therapist to make changes etc, and when i commit theres like 10 extra dwarves. This happens a couple of times. Appears these guys don't wanna make an announcement when they rock up, they just secretly come in and start hauling rocks.

Now my original 7 miner gets taken by fey mood, and since he has no skills except legendary miner +5, he takes over a masons shop and immediately starts constructing an artifact (he didn't even pick up any materials!). He makes a basalt table with basalt engravings, and receives no skill in masonry or anything else - is this a bug or am i going mad? :D
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18217 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:55 am »

Started new map, all flat, awesome.

Use dwarf therapist to make changes etc, and when i commit theres like 10 extra dwarves. This happens a couple of times. Appears these guys don't wanna make an announcement when they rock up, they just secretly come in and start hauling rocks.

Now my original 7 miner gets taken by fey mood, and since he has no skills except legendary miner +5, he takes over a masons shop and immediately starts constructing an artifact (he didn't even pick up any materials!). He makes a basalt table with basalt engravings, and receives no skill in masonry or anything else - is this a bug or am i going mad? :D
Mining is a moodable skill, since he was already +5 all you got out of it was a nice table.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18218 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

My medical staff at Strongtowers was starting to get rusty so I turned the ballista backwards and opened fire on a statue garden. Five people are severely injured, one will never walk again, and a child will need three surgeries to repair his mangled shoulder. All in all mission accomplished.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18219 on: January 13, 2012, 08:25:03 am »

My medical staff at Strongtowers was starting to get rusty so I turned the ballista backwards and opened fire on a statue garden. Five people are severely injured, one will never walk again, and a child will need three surgeries to repair his mangled shoulder. All in all mission accomplished.
Oh jeez, ahaha! It's probably bad that I laughed, but... So sigging this! :D Unless it's too long, of course.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18220 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:21 am »

I started a 2x2 Fort, and Im loving it.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18221 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:10 am »

I started a 2x2 Fort, and Im loving it.
I never realized how little space I actually use, I can get a functioning mountain home on a 2x2 with negligible drop in FPS. I'm loving tiny embarks right now.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18222 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:28 am »

Funny enough, I just realized I have no water, not even an underground pool on my 2x2 and has just abandoned.
EDIT: 'side, I forgot to add auto smelt for malachite so now is a good time to do so.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:51:32 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18223 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:44 am »

Im getting My Water from a Cavern. Theres also a Waterfall up at ground level, which the Residential Area will overlook...

E= Open Space leading down the Waterfall to Water
W= Water
X= Window of Room
S = Stone Wall

EEEEEEEEEWW
EEEEEEEEEWW
SXSSXSSXSSS
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18224 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:57 am »

Brand new embark. Really nice valley surrounded on three sides by mountains, about 2-3 squares high and 5-6 squares wide on the world map, so pretty large actually. I wanted to embark on one of the edges to have both mountain and broadleaf forest (warm) biomes but the river started from a spring right about in the middle, so I chose that instead. All of my last 5 or so embarks have been in really varying terrain with lots of z level movement and it was so hard to make them defensible that I'm actually looking forward to a flat forest that I can create a palisade and expand it out every few seasons until I pretty much have the whole 3x3 map walled in but for the edges.

My initial seven started out ok. There were two Jade Dwarves which I made my leader and broker (moonlighting as miners) so they soaked up all the social skills, and an Obsidian Dwarf who of course is my starting weaponsmith and armorsmith (though she'll be hauling and making charcoal until I can find some ore), a Shield Dwarf which is my starting military (always nicknamed "The Batdwarf" in every single embark - custom profession: Dark Knight). He'll be mining though to build up strength until a barracks is set up as the surroundings aren't dangerous. The rest are Stone Dwarves and while it feels wasteful to make one a farmer, I needed a farmer and didn't get any Schroom Dwarves so there you go. I'll give him a more "Stone Dwarf" type job the minute we get another caste in migration.

Defensive strategy is to delve for first two seasons or so and then build the 1st level of the palisade before winter as I was caught once by a beastman siege in the first winter once that I wasn't ready for - never again. They don't wait politely until you're rich like the goblins. Wanted to bring along some War Mastiff's but they were too expensive so I settled for War Dogs.

If I don't find any iron things are going to get hairy, but otherwise things look good.

Strike the earth!
Pages: 1 ... 1213 1214 [1215] 1216 1217 ... 3842