Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101822 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18165 on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:53 am »

Not really in the fort; but I'm looking for an uglier, creepier portrait. So I, um... fit in.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18166 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:23 am »

The Fortress of Limulunnos is spending a day of mourning.

Three good soldiers lost their lives to the combined Goblin and Kobold Army. Two of those three had just reached legendary.
Three more have been critically injured, as well as the two fisherdwarves killed.

The strain is really showing on the dwarves. The mayor was keeping it all together for his lover, Ral Silverflags, but when someone cried on his shoulder he lost the plot and started throwing things.

A baby was welcomed today. It turned the mother from a moping wreck to a happy young dwarf, so that's good.
The humans of Iquimong heard the fighting and skedaddled quicksmart down via the caverns, through the specially prepared exit.

Our resident Grizzly was badly injured as well; taking two arrows through each front leg and is currently passing out every now and then. If he can't recover in time, then he'll unfortunately be butchered, to be replaced by a war elephant.

Two dwarves received a title today.
'Revax II' Tradedblock is now the Flickering Fang of Fountains, and another dwarf in his squad (Logem Mineclams) is now known as The Geared Bowl.

Thankfully, only three military losses, and two civilian losses.

Sadly, the two civilians were known to nearly everyone in the fort, and so everyone is quite sad. Not quite to the extent of tantruming, with the exception of the mayor, who has to deal with everyone's sadness.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18167 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:17 am »

The Mayor died.

How?

Mayor: "A BRIDGE IS TO BE CONSTRUCTED BY THIS WATERFALL!"
Dorfs: "AYE!!!"

*5 seconds later*

Mayor: "I WILL BUILD IT MYSELF!
Dorfs: "AAAYYYEEE!!!"

*20 seconds later*

Mayor: "Ooh. I may as well dig out this Up Ramp and piece of Cliff here."
Dorfs: *Drink Wine whilst the Mayor works*

*10 seconds later*

Eral Kutaminod, Miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Dorfs: "THE MAYOR IS DEAD!"
*Dwarves scurry over and collect His Pick.*

*2 seconds later*
Muthkat Tolins, Miner has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Me: "FINE. Dont build the stupid bridge. For Armok sake..."
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18168 on: January 11, 2012, 08:22:40 am »

Two people died from the drawbridge, and one guy got severe leg injuries. Poor guy needed leg surgery.

Not too long after the leg surgery, our chief medical dwarf threw a party.

A troll killed a miner and carpenter, and our militia commander killed it without trying.
Not to mention that GCS.
Wait, huh?
Said spider died quickly.

A trader also made a goose leather braies that menaces with spikes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:57:11 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18169 on: January 11, 2012, 10:50:51 am »

Currently digging out a massive magma cistern for a megaproject.

Walls stop caveins, right?
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18170 on: January 11, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »

A metalcrafter went fey, grabbed a bunch of stuff, and made..
A gold goblet. Is that the holy grail?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18171 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »

A metalcrafter went fey, grabbed a bunch of stuff, and made..
A gold goblet. Is that the holy grail?

Yes. Throw it back into mount doom, lest it consume your Dwarves.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18172 on: January 11, 2012, 03:20:03 pm »

After my first militia commander killed himself because some magma flowed out of the magma forge he claimed, my next commander was getting pretty decked out, and I sent her squad out to wait as some sieging goblins were funneled to the main route to the fortress through a 1-tile wide brook-finger. Of course as soon as the dwarves saw goblins marching up the brook, they charged forward without waiting even for their own group to all get together.

Somehow the commander was off by herself halfway across the map, carrying out an initial order to kill the enemy general (I wanted to fuckin get that guy). Separated, alone, and between two enemy squads in a narrow unclimbable brook canyon, she was butchered by halberds. She managed to bite off the general's nose and break his leg with a hammer. There was a long file of goblins between the 9 remaining of her squad and the fainting, retreating goblin general, and the dwarves were busy killing the goblins who fell unconscious in the narrow ravine, by slashing their elbows and feet repeatedly. The goblin fodder troops were killed, protecting their leader with the mountain that is their lame flesh, and the enemy general escaped with two wounded spearmen, missing a nose and dragging his leg.

I checked the goblin civ after a few months of game time, to see what leaders were left because I was itching for a new ambush, and the goblin general was no longer listed as a leader of their civilization. I wondered if he died from his wounds so I copied the save and looked in legends. In 550 Xuspgas Ruthlessclout became the general of the Enjoyable Hatred. In late spring 558, he led the attack on Shipwash. In late spring 558, he ceased to be the general of the Enjoyable Hatred.

They didn't replace him with anyone. I wonder if he had to retire from wounds, from the shame of his disfigurement, or if he had done all he wanted to do. As far as I know he disappeared, likely fallen unconscious and kicked in the lungs by bogeymen or spammed to death by small animals.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18173 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »

This is why being able to view Legend mode data while playing would be awesome.
Great story, The Woods.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18174 on: January 11, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »

My new fort Strong Towers is going to be built around rigid Dorf cultural norms.  It's a 99x55 above ground structure with a simple box palisade and drawbridge design, except the only way in is to cross a 3x40 strip over the open mouth of a volcano with a ballista aiming directly at you. There's one large mountain directly beside the fort, all of the stone and ore comes form there. This time I'm going to assign jobs by Castes (Genesis) instead of starting skill. Obsidian Dwarves will live in subterranean barracks directly adjacent to the magmaworks. Stone Dwarves will live in the mountain inside the mountain, Shroom Dwarves will live in a dormitory outside the farm area, Deep Dwarves will live in the caverns, and Domple Dwarves will haul things and sleep in the dirt because fuck domple dwarves. Steel and Shield dwarves will live in towers attached to the catwalk. I'll put as many jade dwarves in noble positions as I can and station them in the tower proper. Aspid dwarves don't really fill a nitch so they'll form an unarmored lightly armed militia and later the fortress guard and deal with small problems since my steel clad Übermensch can't be bothered by a raccon frightening woodcutters. Moss Dwarves don't really have a place either but going off of their description I'll just make them live outside the fortress all together woodcutting plant gathering and fishing and such. The main tower is currently 6 z's high and 22x33. Pretty excited about it, might make it a story fort.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18175 on: January 11, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »

This is going on in my fort:

...............honestly I have no idea.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18176 on: January 11, 2012, 05:34:23 pm »

Interesting...... Any mods or is this in a vanilla game?

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18177 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »

We need the Jackie Chan Meme for this one.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18178 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

Huh. I didn't know that non-sentients could grow attached to things. Although I love the imagery of this giant scorpion going around and challenging people to duels with his single human-sized glove.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18179 on: January 11, 2012, 05:59:48 pm »

Well, dwarves are sentient... but I just had a wrestler become attached to a loincloth he'd stolen off a dead kobold. :/
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 3842