Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125029 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14415 on: July 09, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

Cool stuff
How exactly did you do this without killing off the losers/creating a loyalty cascade/both?
I've used runesmith before, and I didn't see anything that would allow that sort of thing.

It was all done on a copy of my fortress file, the fights in the tournament didn't actually happened in fortress continuity. All the dwarves were rounded into one room, i'd order the pairs into locked rooms and make them fight. I'd record the data, brute force close DF and do it again.  :)

Sometimes the dwarves only fought once, or in a best-of series. In total there were 120 fights between 24 dwarves.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »

Cool stuff
How exactly did you do this without killing off the losers/creating a loyalty cascade/both?
I've used runesmith before, and I didn't see anything that would allow that sort of thing.

It was all done on a copy of my fortress file, the fights in the tournament didn't actually happened in fortress continuity. All the dwarves were rounded into one room, i'd order the pairs into locked rooms and make them fight. I'd record the data, brute force close DF and do it again.  :)

Sometimes the dwarves only fought once, or in a best-of series. In total there were 120 fights between 24 dwarves.
Ah, I was kind of hoping it was something like "Change their civ tag, then make one hostile. At the end both are raised from the dead if necessary and then made part of the fort civ" Because then they'd show up in legends :P
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: July 09, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »

That could be possible, but with a long running fort i'm paranoid that messing with utilities too much would screw something up.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: July 09, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »

Well, the current finale with Ok Okbod (The Fingers of Doom).  I'm moving on to a new start in a more interesting environment and mineral mix.  Will probably miss the place since it's been my true training fort (my second).  Not abandoning, just will use a different generated world and save the files.

The final actions in the fort were finishing off the goblin siege that massacred the winter caravan.  Eight melee dwarves and six marksdwarves went into a tunnel after the last 8-9 spear goblins that were left after traps and some minor skirmishing took place.  Neither of my kill leaders added to their totals, though they did put in crippling strikes to set up another dwarf for a kill.  And cotton candy axes verses copper armor is simply brutal - like the copper isn't even there.

Top killer in the fort is a hammer dwarf with eight notable kills - Seven trolls and a goblin.  Six of the trolls were from a single fight where he and a partner obliterated an entire troll squad in an isolated action.  This same dwarf also dueled a loose Forgotten Beast for a while until the rest of a squad turned up.

The captain of the guard and lead marksdwarf had seven notable kills and seven other kills.  If I needed something done his marksdwarf squad generally got called in, so that squad ended up with six marksdwarves of Level 8 or higher, plus the one that always turned up late and thus was only Level 4...

Final population was around 260 or so with over 40 children.  The mayor alone had fourteen children, including giving birth to triplets in the middle of a siege.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: July 09, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »

I just realized that the happiest member of my squad "The Golds of Craft" is the guy who's been in jail for the past two years on a murder rap. Apparently even hunting for vermin to eat in a 3x2 cell while attached to a lead chain is better than standing guard at the bridge into the Infamous City of Artifice.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: July 09, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »

Currently I'm lamenting how near perfect my fortress is. It's got, starting from the top, fire clay and white sand, nice big open caverns, with sourced water, a wide assortment of trees and animals, tetrahedrite and bituminous coal, lots of nifty gems, and magma close enough to build an obsidian farm. Between the humans, elves, and dwarves, I have access to most of the interesting animals, plants

Sounds like a neat place to have. And, you could use copper crossbows and bolts, copper shields and silver maces and war hammers. Obsidian can also make crude short swords in a pinch with a log for the handle.

I want that site!

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: July 09, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »

Just had an ambush before my squads were trained. Goblins made it into my fortress main, but the only dwarfs that died were 3 marksdwarfs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: July 09, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

Interesting, for one dwarf civ the goblins are at War but with the rest are "-------"

I wonder what the difference is, for the sake of Fun I am using the War one as my parent civ.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: July 09, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »

Interesting, for one dwarf civ the goblins are at War but with the rest are "-------"

I wonder what the difference is, for the sake of Fun I am using the War one as my parent civ.
They'll attack you as soon as they can, as opposed to waiting till you've built up the requisite wealth IIRC

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: July 09, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »

It is the third year since the founding of Hallchamber on a nice elf-infested oceanside embark.  In addition to getting elven ambushes, I also get the normal goblins.  Just recently I lost 3 of my 9 military to a goblin double-ambush.

The first hammerdwarf died to a goblin's silver pike in the head.
The second hammerdwarf died from a silver warhammer to the head, after mistaking one of my two legendary hammer lords for a goblin.
The third to die was this same hammer lord, killed by a silver warhammer to the head by his good friend, three year sparring partner, and subordinate.

It appears that the legendary hammer lord that died also inflicted the other serious wounds sustained, two broken hands and a broken foot.  Apparently he got the order to kill a hammerdwarf caravan guard who joined the fray.  Teaches me to use the kill rectangle without reviewing who is actually in the list.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:16:30 pm by Taranli Maren »

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: July 09, 2011, 11:51:17 pm »

It is time. The elves are going to die. I have traded time and time again, for there fake weapons. depriving them of there armnents. Now, it is time to strike! show these cannibals what happens when you eat another civilized creature! To arm's, my brethren! To arms!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: July 10, 2011, 12:06:40 am »

So um...

A humanoid brush titan composed of impure mithril that "moves around carelessly" was just able to step into a full murky pool, without a ramp, and come out the other side. It did this three times, the third time going under a wall as well and entering my courtyard.
What.

E: luckily, it went down pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:08:22 am by thatkid »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:57 am »

I've lost about 12 dwarves to a hole in a semi-unflooded room (down to about 1-2/7) There's a perfectly safe staircase, but they keep taking the dangerous one that requires them to walk around the drainage hole.  They're in a pile at the bottom of the shaft.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: July 10, 2011, 01:28:13 am »

So um...

A humanoid brush titan composed of impure mithril that "moves around carelessly" was just able to step into a full murky pool, without a ramp, and come out the other side. It did this three times, the third time going under a wall as well and entering my courtyard.
What.

Creatures that can swim can pull themselves out of the water without a ramp IIRC...

Unless you meant something else.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: July 10, 2011, 01:34:45 am »

So um...

What.

Creatures that can swim can pull themselves out of the water without a ramp IIRC...

Unless you meant something else.
That's not something I've ever seen or heard of happening before.
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 3842