Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124738 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14400 on: July 08, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »

After the last siege I've built a wall around my main entrance, to force all invaders to come from a single direction.  I've also placed serrated disc traps around the only entrance to soften any potential invaders up before my military gets a hold of 'em.

Suddenly, BADGERS!!!  DOZENS OF 'EM!!!!  The infestation was swiftly put down by the military, but it was still annoying.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #14401 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »

Damn buzzards have been turning my archer towers into bloody AA turrets. I have several dozen arrows lying around my courtyards and outside my fort. It's a huge clean up for just a few birds
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14402 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »

Mass-abandoning my forts on my practical solar system of 11 useable worlds and replacing some with adventurers.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14403 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »

GOBLIN AMBUSH!!!!

Ok, caught a couple in the cage traps sprinkled around the surface, time to send my military in to finish em... wait, they mauled my legendary bonecarver?  And he'll never walk right again?  NOOOO!!!  Those bastards will pay!!!

edit:  Secretive dwarf made a candy bed with an image of the previous artifact (the candy breastplate) engraved on it.  It was damn expensive, too.  4 leathers (1 horse, 3 badger), a candy bar, and one raw candy.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:34:10 am by Gyvon »

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14404 on: July 09, 2011, 06:22:11 am »

Finally winter, so I could do improvements on the water channels.
A dwarf became obsessed and made pig bone crown........
I have a baron with family now.
A cyclops visited and went straight for my collapsing trap, shortly after the cyclops and a dog were dead. I'm not happy about it, this was supposed to kill a whole group of goblin attackers, now I have to rebuild it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14405 on: July 09, 2011, 07:09:21 am »

Why does the tank for my water reactor keep flooding the moment I flip the lever controlling the outlet from the reservoir?.... Oh, the reservoir's COMPLETELY full because i closed the other outlets, turning it into an immediate 7/7 washout of the reactor level.  Whoopsy...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14406 on: July 09, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

You guys... I've been playing for about a year and a half, and my current fort, Glowingmansions, is the FIRST fortress I've ever had produce steel.  I don't know why I've always been so hesitant to get my metal industry started.  I always assumed it was really complicated, but I know better now.  My next fortress will be all about the metal.    8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14407 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:07 am »

Tonight I have been blessed with the one of rarest occurences concerning Dwarven Anatomy and birth.

I'm proud of my dwarves.

EDIT: The first one is even 'techinically' older brother of the second! How nice, they keep them chronologically correct :D
In one of my forts, the first birth were... triplets.
I shat my pants.
 :o
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14408 on: July 09, 2011, 11:17:08 am »

I've just been informed that a Forbidden Beast has appeared in my wood-cutting cavern

"The Forgotten Beast Macetha Imamaliceva has come!"
"A huge blob composed of snow[/.  It has a square
shell and gaunt appearance"

Snowball's chance quip in 3...2...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14409 on: July 09, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

I've just been informed that a Forbidden Beast has appeared in my wood-cutting cavern

"The Forgotten Beast Macetha Imamaliceva has come!"
"A huge blob composed of snow[/.  It has a square
shell and gaunt appearance"

Snowball's chance quip in 3...2...
Too bad it didn't actually spawn in hell. Now that would have been something.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14410 on: July 09, 2011, 11:22:19 am »

My military is in shambles, but fights on.

One marksdwarf lost his right hand.  Another lost his entire left arm. 

An axedwarf took a spinal injury in an arena match early-on, but continued to crawl around, an active member of the military, and even get additional kills.

Unfortunately he went into a fey mood while off-duty and I can't figure out what he wants.  I suspect he wants garnierite, which is just too-damn-bad because I don't have any.  He's asking for stone, metal bars, and trees.  I have plenty of stone, ingots of every type he likes (even nickel steel!), and enough logs to give every elf in existence a heart-attack.  I can only figure that he must specifically want garnierite.  Punk.

On an unrelated note, I just put in work orders to erect doors around that particular craftdwarf's workshop.

Other than that, my dwarves are still cleaning up from a 75+ goblin siege that happened an entire season ago.  As soon as that's finished, the arena games can begin.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14411 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:23 pm »

Daggerdepths entered the year i've been waiting for, 520, or 19 year old. I've been waiting for this year because it's the year I designated my inter-military tournaments would begin.

Using Runesmith, on a separate copy of my fort I might add in case of corruption I pit my melee dwarves against each other in 4 large tournaments to determine who will be in my elite squads. Each tournament is for a specific weapon class. I don't use maces so it's just hammers, axes, swords and spears.

6 dwarves competed in each tournament which were done in round-robin style. Every dwarf had masterful steel equipment so they were on even keel. Sort of... My original 10 military dwarves have years (and I mean YEARS) more combat experience then everyone else so it was no suprise that they dominated and were the top dwarves in each weapon class. The champions of each weapon class are to become my elite squad of which i'm simply calling Elite Squad 1, and the runner-ups becoming Elite Squad 2. All elite dwarves get to use candy coated equipment.

I also plan on making this tournament a ritual in my fortress every 2 or 4 years, I haven't decided. The candy-coated equipment will also be passed down to the new elite dwarves should they not defend their positions or are dead. Hopefully the bulk of my military will be better trained by then to make it more competitive.

I also plan to train dwarves who have already mastered their weapon in other weapon types so they can compete in multiple tournaments. Arena mode doesnt fully duplicate an experienced dwarf with earned attributes so it would be interesting if I can find out more about what characteristics better suit certain weapons.

Saying who won the tournaments won't really mean anything to anyone, but I can say that the dwarves I expected to win won, except for one. I've recorded the attributes of all my dwarves aswell to see who is the fastest, strongest and things like that. The hammerdwarf who won has the highest average attributes in my fortress, but they're lopsided in a manner that you wouldn't think him to be a good hammerdwarf. His toughness and endurance are the highest of all my military, but he is the absolute weakest and very nearly the slowest. I couldn't have called him to dominate the way he did.  :-\

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14412 on: July 09, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »

After ordering a ton of animals to be butchered, even with 4 craftsdwarve's workshops, we couldn't keep up with all the crap being thrown into the refuse pile. Mountains of bones, teeth, shells, everything, stacked up in one room. I set up a giant stockpile outside, built 8 workshops there and now we are tearing through the piles of trash creating goods to sell to the merchants for all the steel stuff I requested, because we have no way of making steel (or anything useful, for that matter) here.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14413 on: July 09, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

Another siege, pretty boring. The trolls got all killed or captured by traps and then thrown down my 22 level deep pit, the goblins ran into my just rebuilt collapsing trap, three down, more wounded, then they fled.

And WHY are all my dwarves running out to a specific spot at the river to drink there? I have THREE designated water source areas, yet I see masses of dwarves running over half of the map to that point to drink there. And there's absolutely nothing there that makes it different, they even cross the bridge over the river to get to the other side before drinking from the same river........

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14414 on: July 09, 2011, 02:18:44 pm »

Cool stuff
How exactly did you do this without killing off the losers/creating a loyalty cascade/both?
I've used runesmith before, and I didn't see anything that would allow that sort of thing.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 3842