Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124364 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14250 on: July 01, 2011, 09:29:59 am »

Rest in Peace, Monom Akruliden, Broker and Legendary Engraver of Boldropes/Murakgoden. You will be missed.

Monom was torn to shreds by a blind cave ogre. It tore his leg, and his arm off, punched him repeatedly, bruised his skull and more. Before he died - 'Severe Bleeding', 'Over exerted', 'pale', 'Ability to stand lost' and 'ability to grasp lost. He survived being strangled by the ogre for EIGHT PAGES STRAIGHT, passing out on the fifth of thirteen.

Thankfully he was avenged in spades, our blazingly quick commander with his two axes got there and SLOWLY OH SO SLOWLY dismembered the ogre toe by finger by arm by leg... Monom and Iteb were both friends and part of the original seven. :3
Hopefully Iteb doesn't freak out - he's clad in candy and has candy weapons. Legendary axedwarf and legendary dodger, too.

In other news, our miner/mayor narrowly avoided a fiery death when he accidentally breached the magma sea. Suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, he then forbade the export of socks.  :o
Found some more cottoncandy. Building a memorial to Monom, the fortress owes a lot to him.

[EDIT] Two more things. Siege- our legendary herbalist and an unlucky planter were the only casualties. The three squads ripped through the goblins and those that got through were shredded by weapon traps.  ;D
And the memorial to Monom reads surprisingly little... I wish it was like an engraving but with only entities relating to the deceased... All I got was 'Monom, creator of McArtifact,' / Lover of horses. Bit odd, you know?
But with the legendary herbalist gone, that's only 5 of the original seven remaining after 4 years game time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:35:58 am by Reudh »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14251 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:01 am »

Failurecosmos is going well. 41 dwarves so far at the beginning of late summer, and I've hit a vein each of native gold and copper. Finally getting around to building enough beds for the whiny gits in what will eventually be the barracks, but honestly trapping the front entrance is far more important than having more than a small dormitory under an overhang.

Ooh! Used dfreveal and saw a magma pipe in the second cavern. Also going to punch through the first cavern and put most of my fortress in the copious space between the first and second caverns, and possibly dig out a nice 31x31 space in the dirt a couple z-levels above my entrance for moss to grow so my dwarves never have to see the light of day again except when farming above-ground crops and even then there's a roof.

Will almost definitely head for that magma pipe, I think, 'cause I harvested all the metal objects from the dwarven caravan and will do the same for the human one, and I don't want to use all my trees melting down objects before I even start on making 10 weapons a trap for my glorious goblin grinder.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14252 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »

started a new fort in a Sinister biome.  Was expecting dead trees and zombified critters.  The place was surprisingly green, and the only evil monster I've seen was a werewolf harassing my woodcutter.  The Swordwarf I embarked with took care of him easily. 

Other than that, it's been surprisingly quiet, though I did have to dig pretty deep for some damn flux, since I'm on a volcano map.  My steel industry will be up and running as soon as my wood furnace is built.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14253 on: July 01, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

Dorf count: 48.

Calendar date: 13 Timber, 252.

Failurecosmos had its first mood, which resulted in a platinum chain leggings. Not too bad, though I was hoping for that dorf to make a weapon so I could have awesome weapons in my goblin grinder. Also I got through the caverns without incident and am now mucking around to get myself a hospital centered around a well.

Dwarven caravan, whoo.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: July 01, 2011, 12:59:24 pm »

Whipdeer will soon be no more (again), for I accidentally dug too greedily and too deep...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14255 on: July 01, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »

Whipdeer will soon be no more (again), for I accidentally dug too greedily and too deep...

You're expecting Pennywise?

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: July 01, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »

My militia commander picked a fight with a giant panda, and came away with a slightly mauled hand for his trouble.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: July 01, 2011, 04:00:02 pm »

One of my dwarves just killed another one for no reason at all.
And I don't have a justice system since among almost 150 dwarves there's not a single one who has any skill needed to be Chief of the Guard......

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:23 pm »

And I don't have a justice system since among almost 150 dwarves there's not a single one who has any skill needed to be Chief of the Guard......
I barely pay attention to skills unless they are legendary.  Just assign some dwarf who is not working and let him or her get on-the-job-training.  I've learned to just assign a wooden training weapon to the the Chief of the Guard to carry out justice so justice isn't a big deal.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: July 01, 2011, 04:11:13 pm »

You guys lied to me. I've been dreading unleashing those scary clowns, but when I breached the candy I found out they were just demons. >:(

What the hell did you expect [see; hell]?

It's hell, for crying out loud!  [facepalm]

Laughing Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14260 on: July 01, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »

Just killed my first dragon!  Thing showed up at the edge of the map, and immediately rushed the kittens frolicking outside, spewing fire everywhere.  Needless to say, my first response is to get my archers positioned.  Apparently, crossbows are the dwarven equivalent of Barrett anti-materiel rifles, because the first shot nailed it in the heart and caused it to fall unconscious, spewing dragon blood everywhere.  Before the archer squad could shoot it again, it expired from massive blood loss.

Upon the dragon's death, investigators were sent to determine the owner of the bolt, to determine whose honor the party would be thrown in.  It was discovered that it belonged to a freshly recruited fish cleaner, who had never fired a crossbow before in his life.  He was immediately sent to the firing range for practice, and the party was cancelled.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14261 on: July 01, 2011, 05:26:06 pm »

Smasher line set up for the next year. That should keep my dwarves safe from outside interference while the birdbath is being made. This'll be awesome if it works. If it doesn't, I'll have to hope that dropped objects do damage based on weight and throw anvils at invaders.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: July 01, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »

I was kidding bro. :/

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: July 01, 2011, 05:50:11 pm »

Just killed my first dragon!  Thing showed up at the edge of the map, and immediately rushed the kittens frolicking outside, spewing fire everywhere.  Needless to say, my first response is to get my archers positioned.  Apparently, crossbows are the dwarven equivalent of Barrett anti-materiel rifles, because the first shot nailed it in the heart and caused it to fall unconscious, spewing dragon blood everywhere.  Before the archer squad could shoot it again, it expired from massive blood loss.

Upon the dragon's death, investigators were sent to determine the owner of the bolt, to determine whose honor the party would be thrown in.  It was discovered that it belonged to a freshly recruited fish cleaner, who had never fired a crossbow before in his life.  He was immediately sent to the firing range for practice, and the party was cancelled.

I hope you at least gave hims a very nice bedroom.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: July 01, 2011, 06:00:38 pm »

I hope you at least gave hims a very nice bedroom.
In the shape of a horseshoe.

Or a heart.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 3842