Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978618 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14220 on: June 30, 2011, 06:30:22 am »

EDIT: Ah, the nephilim have arrived. Perfect.
I knew there was a reason I thought they were cool despite their inability to actually trade.

Nephilim? There are only two kinds of Nephilim I can think of, one from mythology, one from games.

What mod?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: June 30, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »

Dikefaith had a fairly massive wave of immigrants (as in, like, 20+ people). Now I can figure out how my military system works, since now I feel as though I have enough people to start at least a militia squad or two of 5 dwarfs each.

Also, I've ordered a HUGE amount of land on the surface to be dug up to scrounge for iron ores, tetrahedrite, gypsum, microcline and orthoclase (yes, I've found a small pocket of it), slate (that's slate, not slade), jet, more iron and such.

I unfortunately received a migrant who has a preference for slade.

I'm fortunate to have metamorphic layers of stones, sand to make glass, and a layer of fire clay to make pottery. I also have kaolinite to make porcelain goods that I can trade away to the humans and dwarfs.

I only recently managed to make coke from coal, and am ordering more coal to be refined with the coke I have.

Trees, sadly, are fairly scarce on my map, so I'll have to either import a few logs from the elves or wait for the saguaros to fully mature, or both. I have to scavenge for the few cacti that are ready to be logged and make the luxury (?) of more beds for my migrants.

I really need to make more houses (bedrooms) for my people (since I can't quite call them humans) or they will be unhappy with sleeping outside, and therefore being exposed to the elements.

I wonder if my excessive mining is going to give my people the mysterious 'cave adaptation' that some dwarfs are unfortunate enough to receive, as my mining designations sometimes go quite a few dozen tiles into the hills.

No invaders until I can manage to fully grasp hold of how military and other things work, for I have changed [INVADERS:YES] to [INVADERS:NO].
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:28:35 pm by UristMcHuman »

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14222 on: June 30, 2011, 02:12:59 pm »

One z level mining mistake and my entire fort flooded with magma. I was laughing to hard to save any of them, so I started anew.

Good things right off the bat with the new fort, alligator spawned about 10 tiles away from my hunter. Joyous wilds with a stream and an isolated volcano makes me very happy.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

Caused a massive tantrum spiral in a succession/MP fort. Getting chewed out by everyone.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14224 on: June 30, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »

Boy and Girl Zaneg, who I posted about earlier, are once again locked away in their safehouse, along with Boy Zaneg's little sister.  Their father is dead now, as are the migrants who showed up after I started rebuilding.  This is due to the goblin siege, which is still going on.  Right now, their mounts are just destroying everything they can.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #14225 on: June 30, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

Making grand rooms for my fort overseer. 30x30, artifacts, gem windows and silver statues. Later Ill add some animals and goblin prisoners there so he can laugh at them. Making a lot of masons so I get more useful artifacts. Goblinthrower is under construction too.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: June 30, 2011, 04:12:51 pm »

Almost lost a fort recently, playing the corrosion mod with a modded group a humans that lays (~50)eggs called Interns(they also have a chance of exploding into a fiery death or freeze over).
well I had no axe surrounded by trees and being pick off by vultures, so I had to dismantle my wagon to get started in making supplies for the fort
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the goal was to make a nest so that I can have a constant flow of workers.
I lost 5 interns from vulture attacks or the horrible fate of poison stone. The leader was being peck at and I had only one able body Intern to work. Her name was Claustrum Boatschapel who was dehydrated on the verge of losing I had her take 2 barrels and distill the logs out of them. right when the leader kick it she finally got wood meat and logs still thirsty. the still over loaded and can't possibly get mead with out her die a dry husk.
so I had her make a craftintern workshop and get started on the nest.
time was ticking and I was panicky Claustrum just finished the nest and was about to make another one. I flick off that command and had her build the nest.
Soon she finally did it spawn ~30 Interns,  her walk over to the still she ended with her death from thirst.
 she died to save my fort, her death brought lives of many able body men and women.

short story shorter I had one mother save an entire fortress and now the place is populated with only her kin.
Hairtrade, Children of Boatschapel.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14227 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:40 pm »

EDIT: Ah, the nephilim have arrived. Perfect.
I knew there was a reason I thought they were cool despite their inability to actually trade.

Nephilim? There are only two kinds of Nephilim I can think of, one from mythology, one from games.

What mod?
Forlorn Realms. They're winged dudes who are constantly trying to atone for some unknown sin. Since they fly, trading with them is glitched so their "caravans" are instead just roaming patrols or whatever you want them to be I guess.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: June 30, 2011, 04:42:18 pm »

Winter came and froze the water, so I could finally repair some damage done by the trolls, also improved my defenses.
My stockpiles are getting too full, all the stuff from the attackers I collected, all the furniture and my food stockpile was growing to amazing proportions after I gave the order to slaughter all the giant olms and other butcherable corpses from the last attacks including the dragon my axe dwarf killed single-handedly. He has a very big and nice room now.
Another one of my useless dwarves got into a mood and made...behold:

I stripped all my goblin prisoners of their stuff and put one of them into a room with four wardogs and some of their puppies.
They mauled him pretty good.
So I exchanged one of the dogs with my war lion and put another goblin prisoner in there.
It didn't go as expected, that one seemed to be a master evader. All the dogs died one after another, the lion kept on fighting and fighting. Over the whole fucking winter. Shrouded in clouds of miasma in a closed room full of rotting corpses they were fighting. Their first wounds already had become scars and they were still fighting and fighting.
At one point I had enough and sent my squad down there to deal with the guy. A squad of ten soldiers in steel wasn't able to kill that naked unarmed goblin instantaneously but they had to chase him through the fortress. What a tough guy. Regarding my poor lion...I hope the doctors will do something about him, he's probably the most diverse wounded thing I've ever seen now:

Then I thought I'd just assign the third goblin to a chain without cage. But the guy who pulled him there was followed around by a dozen dogs, half of them wardogs and the still pretty alive lion who mauled the goblin as soon as he was at the chain.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:54:45 pm by Khris »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: June 30, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »

Caused a massive tantrum spiral in a succession/MP fort. Getting chewed out by everyone.

Whadja do that for?!?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: June 30, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »

HOLY F***!!!!! I have 3 visible tiles of FRICKIN' NATIVE PLATINUM in Dikefaith!!!!!!!!!! At first glance, I thought it was galena, but when I loo[k]ed at it, it came up with Rough-hewn Native Platinum Wall. What do I do with it (besides dig the stuff up and smeltify it)?!?!?!?!?!

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: June 30, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »

It can't be made into weapons, unless you get a REALLY lucky dorf mood, so its only real use is decoration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »

Daggerdepths mourns for its legendary +5 armoursmith, Kadol Paddlecalm. He failed a mood after I couldnt provide his "body parts" request. Who knows what it was.

Normally I would revert to an old save when something like this happens as it's basically out of my control, but I had already saved the game when he was in the middle of the mood and I had neglected my backup save. It was over a year old and alot had happened in that time.

Kadol leaves behind a great body of work. 10 full sets of masterful steel armour, 21 full sets of masterful iron armour and dozens of other incomplete sets of masterful steel and iron armour. I've been looking for a career my new broker can get into when he's not fulfilling his broker duties, and he already is a high master furnace operator so i'm going to get him to start training.

I've just finished engraving his 5x5 tomb. The first image was actually a masterful engraving of Kadol raising up a masterful iron high boot he made last year. Another is of him raising up masterful iron greaves from 9 years ago. Most of the others are of dwarves killing elves and my military killing goblins.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14233 on: June 30, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »

Just as a heads up for the future, 'Body Parts' usually refers to bones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14234 on: June 30, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »

It wasn't bones, I had plenty and in large and small stacks. It could have been ivory or something.
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 3839